The Fat Club

1232425262729»

Comments

• RutlandGav
    RutlandGav Posts: 144
    19-22 april min wt 91kg max 95kg
  • So I finally got a bike yesterday for 2 main reasons.

1. To bring back the great memories when I was a child/teenager and used to ride with my friends..
    2. Help me loose some weight doing something I enjoy rather then being locked behind walls in a gym..

I am 34 and currently weigh 19.5 stone which is not healthy. My wife is helping me out into changing my lifestyle and making me more cautious about my eating habits.. However that is not enough and I firmly believe sports/training should go along a healthy/balanced diet.

So like many others here I will put effort into eating well and enjoy riding my bike to get back in shape..

By the way since I was on a tight budget I managed to get a good deal on an Orbea MX20 (including Car carrier, Helmet, Bottle cage + Bottle and pump).. I liked the bike, the overall finish is great, light and I enjoyed the ride..

Today plan on another 35 minute ride :)

Good luck to all !!
  • RutlandGav
    RutlandGav Posts: 144
    17th-22may
    min wt 87.5kg max 89.5kg

Well that's a decent 10kg loss. Did my first 80 miler last saturday on my mtb , though it was unintentional.

Came down with my first cold this week, since february. I got a heck of a lot of illnesses last year so i'm well above the average still. But , i'm getting bad sleep apnea with this cold. I suspected I may have it before losing the weight, but since i am no longer at an obese bmi, it's a bit annoying to still have these symptoms. I do feel a lot of mental fatigue, which could just be adrenal burnout from my work hours or it could be apnea. But this week, with the head cold and mild congestion, no doubts to be had - keep waking up gasping for breath, keep dreaming about drowning, being in a breath holding competition with my mates, running a race and being out of breath etc, that is when i do actually manage to get properly to sleep before gasping for breath again.
  • bringing a bit of life to an old thread here as I like this, Im a young lad and much more out of shape than id like, im about 5'11 and a bit over 19st, like many got a bike because i enjoy it but also to help aid in my weight loss, when I enjoy my exercise it doesnt feel like exercise and always loved being out and about on a bike. Ill post my actual weight when i get in tonight. As I sit in an office sitting on computer looking through this forum and this thread particularly should help me along!
  • jakey226 wrote:
    bringing a bit of life to an old thread here as I like this, Im a young lad and much more out of shape than id like, im about 5'11 and a bit over 19st, like many got a bike because i enjoy it but also to help aid in my weight loss, when I enjoy my exercise it doesnt feel like exercise and always loved being out and about on a bike. Ill post my actual weight when i get in tonight. As I sit in an office sitting on computer looking through this forum and this thread particularly should help me along!

That sounds pretty much where I was last year! I'm 5'10"ish and hovered around 118kg (18.5 stone) for much of the last 15 years (I'm 35 now). I work in music and spend much of my time on the road meaning it can be quite difficult to maintain a decent diet - at least that's what I thought (that had really become more of an excuse than a reason). I found myself in a position where all I did was snack on crap and I really started to feel like crap as a result. Something clicked towards the back end of last year when I started looking at my reflection and hating the person I saw looking back at me, that's when I knew I had to sort it out and I made the decision there and then to do just that.

By far the most significant thing I did was fix my diet and I'm much more in control of and sensible with what I eat now. I'm generally fairly active anyway but it was nowhere near enough to counter what I was eating, once I sorted my diet and started taking fairly meticulous notes of how many calories I was consuming and trying to keep track of how many I used during the day I could see the scales start to drop within 3 days which was incredible to see! Around 10 months on I've dropped from 118kg/18.5 stone to 82kg/12.9 stone, I'm still nowhere near as fit as I want to be but losing the weight has meant I'm much more able to ride and I've been enjoying it so much more as a result.

Good luck with it all mate! :)
  • val1209
    val1209 Posts: 2
    I have lost 5 kilos and I am very happy !! The thing is that I quit beers. So no beers at all now. A Glass of red wine max for Christmas/new year dinner.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I started out 2016 as 160kg.... Currently just under 120kg and have lost 16kg this year so far.

I have had a lot of ups and downs but I think I have finally cracked it this year. Up until now I have mostly been using exercise to lose weight and still kept falling into my bad eating habits. Something clicked in January and I've started eating healthy and the weight has just been falling off. I still cycle loads but I do that for fitness, and eat in moderation for the weight loss.

I think for most of us who are obese, we have to change our relationship to food. It's no good working your arse off if you don't solve that problem. I started off the year religiously counting calories to retrain my brain what to eat. Over time it's started to become more intuitive. I don't count calories as much and still eat the things I used to, just in moderation.

I'm also really happy with my progress on the bike. I had my FTP tested last week and at 297 I'm oh so close to hitting the 300 mark, that's up from the 250w which I tested early 2016. By all accounts if I can get my weight under control I'll be pretty quick on the bike which is a huge motivation for me to actually be sporty for once in my life.

I'm super energised this year to make this stick and I've set myself a goal of <90kg.

I have promised myself when I reach that mark I'm gonna splurge on a super bike. Something like a Colnago C64 maybe :P

Good luck to everyone in their journey. If anyone has any questions or advice let me know.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Rob Mafia wrote:
    Anyhow, after a complete diet change and different a little excersize I started to lose a bit, and it felt awesome, 7 months down the line I am now 16 stone flat, my target is 14 stone

Rob

That is a fantastic achievement mate - very inspiring.
  • represent
    represent Posts: 1
    Hi guys, how can i loss my weight without diet? please give me a solution. :cry::cry:
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    represent wrote:
    Hi guys, how can i loss my weight without diet? please give me a solution. :cry::cry:

Basically, it's impossible!

There's no way you can eat unhealthily (I'm assuming you're not eating mega healthily as you're trying to lose weight) and do enough exercise to counteract the excess calories you are eating to lose weight.

It is a combination of eating healthily and exercising that is the most effective route.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    represent wrote:

If you want to stay eating the same, then the only way to lose weight is to move around more.

Riding a bike is one of the best ways for you as it is not as hard on the joints as running can be. If you don't want to be seen exercising, then you can get a an exercise bike or maybe even resistance rollers to sit your bike on (these things are made and available). Try walking some of every day. If you take the bus to work, get off a stop earlier before work and home.

I haven't suggested a gym, because I hate the thought of a gym and I wouldn't use one even if it was free.

Back to the bike. On weekends and light nights, if you can get out on a bike, go somewhere nice and ride your bike there. Avid hills if you can at first. Canal towpaths are good for that. You will enjoy it more and will probably go further than you had planned. Because you are enjoying it, it doesn't feel like exercise. On weekdays, set your alarm 50 mins early and get out on the bike for 30 mins. That leaves 10 mins either side for getting out the bike and putting it away, and putting on/removing some basic cycle kit. Then roll into the shower at the normal time, ready for a day at work. Do this on alternate days to start with. As you get fitter, you will go faster and further in your 30 mins.

These things tend to feed off each other. As you get fitter, you want to do more because you can do more.

PS: As you ride further, bits of you will start to hurt. So instead of giving up, buy some padded cycle short liners, some slightly padded gloves, some better biking shoes and so forth. Ask on here for advice. And don't forget to buy a helmet!!!!!
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    Good advice from Steve, but it's worth noting that the suggested exercise will only result in weight loss if you are only VERY marginally eating above the recommended daily calorie intake. You can't eat pizza every night and expect 30 minutes on a bike every other day to result in the pounds rolling off :-)
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • Thick Soup
    Thick Soup Posts: 11
    represent wrote:

When you find it let us know :lol:

Over the last 6 weeks I’ve lost 30lb by cutting out nasty carbs,bread,pasta,rice and potatoes. I’ve stopped eating late and eating rubbish takeaways etc. Also knocked the ale on the head and fizzy drinks.

I feel great and Upto now I’ve enjoyed it,not starved myself neither. I have 3 proper meals a day and have fruit instead of crisps, chocolate etc in between meals. I also drink at least 3ltrs of water everyday.

I don’t see it as a diet, more of a lifestyle change now.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I'm sure that deep inside, represent knows that he is going to have to change what he eats, either by quality or quantity before he is going to lose some proper weight.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Losing weight is facilitated by a low ambient temperature. No chance at the moment obviously but the metaphor of sleeping out in the winter would be apt.

I know this is off topic and a really wild shot but I have a problem getting to work on time as it takes me AGES to security check my suitcase. Is there ANYWHERE I can get an X Ray Scanner?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Stoatally
    Stoatally Posts: 9
    Really trying to get rid of some excess baggage. 4 years ago I was around 13.5-14 stone. Did Ironman France and then got loved up happy and married. I didn’t do much fitness stuff for pretty much 4 years so now I’m 16.5 stone :-(

Just got a nice new full sus mtb and riding around Cannock Chase. Also started going back in the road bikes so hopefully I can make a start on heading back down towards 14 stone.
  • o5prey
    o5prey Posts: 2
    Resurrecting this thread again as I’ve just spent the best part of a couple of hours reading the good, the bad and funny in these stories.

Thank you all for sharing it’s given me the confidence to do this ...

I’m 47 years old weighing 120Kgs at 170cms (5’7” in old money).

I have splashed on an eMTB and have started a twice weekly riding routine but am finding it really hard to change my diet when I travel a lot and then want to “enjoy” my time at home with the family.

I know the theory, but finding the practice tough as I forget or just don’t have the discipline - how have you guys managed toivetcime the sugar and caffeine cravings?
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    interesting read this thread

myself i'm currently around 106kg at 5ft 8.5" always get the half inch in lol at the grand old age of 45

last few years i've been around 110-112kg as i was heavily into weights, power lifting type training best one rep maxes 227.5kg squat, 260kg Deadlift, 150kg bench but i developed a DVT in feb this year so more focus has been on getting fitter etc still been gym training but not heavy just keeping it moving.

over the years i've always cycled in some capacity heavily into MTB from the age of 22 -30 morzine every year etc then a good few years out of it lifting weights but still did a bit of cycling as its something i really enjoy doing.

so anyways after the bout of DVT this year been on tablets for 7 months clot has gone but it has appeared that i have a dodgy gene FACTOR V LEIDEN which is a blood clotting protein so now my chance of getting another clot has heightened by 10 x so need to shift a little more weight.

i'm not grossly overweight just heavy i only keep weight around my waist nothing on legs but i've got legs like a olympic sprinting cyclist even the hematologist said i was heavy then asked to take my top of to check my chest for a PE and she was taken back and apologised.

so 2020 the plan is to have a year cycling and hopefully get under than 100kg mark i have done approx 1700 miles this year on various bikes as i have a road bike, Hybrid and a MTB so pretty much just get on what i fancy at the moment but next year is going to another level i want to beat this years total at least and compete in some sportives or a C2C i've done a few sprint duathlons in the past so i'm putting them back on the radar as well.

keep it up people
  • I'm hoping to get back into cycling in general and MTB.
    At 5'6 and 16st I could definitely do with being back nearer 13-14st. New job, long commute and other thinks completely stopped me for the last couple of years.

I've skimmed through the thread and there's lots of positive stuff :)

I've no illusions about becoming transformed, I just want to be a bit less fat and feel a bit better.
    There's always someone having a worse day than you.
    Usually it's me.