Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    5th to 21st will be upset :lol:

Good ride. What's your route?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    Not allowed gutsy. Please remove yourself at once.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Cheers

I often come in via the a1000 to potters bar then barnet as i like to avoid south mimms (its horrible) the summer more hilly route would be through Shenley, Borehamwood, Arkly, Finchely etc

most days its a pretty clear run with one or two tight spots with lights, traffic etc but its possible to get an average speed of 16 - 16.5 on fresh legs and a tail wind
  • willy b
    I thought the A1000 might be your route. Actually a really good road to ride on, wide, quick, not "that" busy
  • The last few weeks with the north easterly wind along the al1000 have been very very tough! I did think about riding the A5 Edgeware road but that's just shitty (but covered up enough to avoid the easterly wind)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    mdgutsell wrote:
    I'm abit late to the game....... just logged in my commuter miles for 2013: 1733

St Albans to central London 4 days a week: Ouch!
    willy b wrote:
    5th to 21st will be upset :lol:

Good ride. What's your route?
    So it was you knocked me out of the top 20 then :evil:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • willy b
    Only 100 miles between 16th and 11th. I quite enjoy looking at these stats.

Still waiting for OKGO to put in a big update though :roll:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yes, I've done more than you, but less than the bloke in first. Will update when I can be arsed to upload everything to strava to check the total.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • willy b
    okgo wrote:
    Yes, I've done more than you, but less than the bloke in first. Will update when I can be arsed to upload everything to strava to check the total.

:lol: Dam you!
  • i'm sure there was a clause to dock 1000 miles to users that don't update daily :shock: :P
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's not the failure to update that is caddish - rather the failure to update before you've allowed someone to move past you and think they are genuinely in that position. Dammit, we all have responsibilities!

It's a good idea docking mileage for infrequent updates. I'm sure Chris could be prevailed. Something like 200 miles for every week un-updated without just cause is reasonable!

@Okgo - you should be ashamed! If you can post on here, you can update your stats!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • okgo
    I only upload my garmin once a week or so, and I don't keep track of the miles really, some days I do more than others, so every now and again where I look on here and I've recently uploaded the garmin I will do the update. Probably Monday or something now. its around 2100 miles.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's a good idea docking mileage for infrequent updates. I'm sure Chris could be prevailed. Something like 200 miles for every week un-updated without just cause is reasonable!
    Easy. Let's ponder the algorithm - for each week since lastUpdated.Date subtract 200 miles, subject to normal periods of non-cycling like holidays, hospitalisation, blatant apathy, bike stolen etc. So an extra function to allow justification of non-cycling. Yeah. I can have that done before Question Time comes on tonight. :)

Peeps should update more often though - it's not as if it's a big task is it? Is it? I've been pondering adding uploads from Strava & Garmin files, only I can't as I don't have either of those toys and have no real intention of getting them either. What do these files look like under the skin? Bit of XML? If anyone wants to post examples here [use the Code tags] or PM me with a few samples (anonymised if necessary) I might get round to adding that as an option.

<wonders what he's let himself in for...>
  • :oops: Blimey it was only a bit of tongue and cheek :oops:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • willy b
    :oops: Blimey it was only a bit of tongue and cheek :oops:

:lol: Now look what you've done.
  • okgo
    Stop moaning and get on your bike then you wouldn't need to worry about the likes of me knocking you down a spot when I get round to doing it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Managed to break my bike this morning on the commute in. Chain broke at the traffic lights and some how this caused the front derailleur to fold into the chain ring and crank :( The winter bike has a knackered bottom bracket as well to really make my week.

It's reasons just like this ^ why I now have 11 bikes :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Easy. Let's ponder the algorithm - for each week since lastUpdated.Date subtract 200 miles, subject to normal periods of non-cycling like holidays, hospitalisation, blatant apathy, bike stolen etc. So an extra function to allow justification of non-cycling. Yeah. I can have that done before Question Time comes on tonight. :)

Peeps should update more often though - it's not as if it's a big task is it? Is it? I've been pondering adding uploads from Strava & Garmin files, only I can't as I don't have either of those toys and have no real intention of getting them either. What do these files look like under the skin? Bit of XML? If anyone wants to post examples here [use the Code tags] or PM me with a few samples (anonymised if necessary) I might get round to adding that as an option.

<wonders what he's let himself in for...>

You know you could go one better ...
    I'm sure like many on here as well as those at loose in the wilds of the internet people upload to multiple stats type sites, for example garmin connect, strava, endo, ridewithgps, dailymile and BR own training tool to name but a few, well most of these have simple API that allow those 3rd party extra analysis sites to do what they do, I believe it would be reasonable easy to have one site to upload to ie yours then have that sync with garmin and co via the API's.

Now that would be a useful service, even one worth paying for - shock horror :wink:

It's also really easy to link single sign on login with social media accounts like facebork & twatter thus creating one place to upload, sync and boast about our AWESOMENESS.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I can already feel the pressure... I'm beginning to regret organising beers tonight instead of riding home
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    In fairness, if veloviewer can do it, you must be able to code an API hook to get strava data if people tell you their UIDs. Single source of truth etc?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Some people in our village have decided to see if (starting in March) they can log the distance of the TdF before it finishes.

They are counting turbo "miles" though -which I think is a bit of a copout.
  • rolf_f
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Some people in our village have decided to see if (starting in March) they can log the distance of the TdF before it finishes.

I'll have managed that one this year in a couple of weeks and without cheating! :lol:
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

I'll have managed that one this year in a couple of weeks and without cheating! :lol:

sssshhhh
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rolf F wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Completed that by the end of February
  • rolf_f
    gbsahne wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Completed that by the end of February

Yes, but you are a freak whereas my mileage is entirely sensible and normal.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Hang on .. that's just miles cycled. What about the climbing? Without the climbing it's all just cheating anyway :wink:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    Hang on .. that's just miles cycled. What about the climbing? Without the climbing it's all just cheating anyway :wink:

Well what is the total TDF climb then?! I'd expect to climb about 130,000 feet irrc over a couple of thousand miles or so.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    130,000 feet is about right apparently (just googled it).

I'll shut up then :oops:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

120 days for me.
  • rolf_f

Lol - that then means that Yorkshire is pretty much exactly the same as France and hence explains perfectly why we have the Tour de France here next year! :lol: