Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Back and leg are playing up so giving cycling a rest in the hope that it will help.

Update: Sciatica diagnosed - a whole load of anti inflammatories later and the pain has subsided so I'm thinking of getting back on the bike tomorrow.

I still want to break the 5000 for this year but I'm vaguely willing to admit that it might not happen if the aches and pains return.
    I'd play safe if I were you and forget any thoughts of beating 5000 miles. It's not worth it.

C (4921.6 miles).
  • Hearing you loud and clear.

I will def not try to hit 5000 if it means making my back worse but I've always found that some exercise is better than none for all sorts of ailments. I've had rotar cuff tendonitis in both shoulders, chronic neck pain, golfers elbow, ligament damage in my fingers .. all from rock climbing and not cycling I might add.

With all of them I was able to continue but within certain limitations:
    1. Invariably there is some aspect of what ever your doing that is causing the problem - cut that out/reduce it. I'm hoping that with cycling it's not all or nothing,
    2. Take it easy .. the name of the game is active recovery and not PBs
    3. Investigate and find an effective physiotherapy technique (anything from anti inflammateries, application of cold temps and\or exercises)

Couple of things I'm aware of with this and my lower back (and someone mentioned it on another thread) - bike fit and spin, don't grind.

These two points I'll definitely be paying attention to from now on.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    willy b wrote:
    Watchout iPete. Only 748 miles behind you :roll: :lol:

enjoy December in the cold wet driving rain... i'll be in the pub :lol:
  • CiB
    Hearing you loud and clear.

blah blah medical stuff blah
    Oh I'm not bothered about your back. Heavens no. I just don't want you to beat me this year. :wink:

:)
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    edited November 2012
    What's that sound?

Floor, Gauntlet, Thrown? :)

TBH I reckon I'm the least of your worries - there's a pack of maybe 10 riders around me that are on a mission :twisted:

strava profile
  • What's the sound?

TBH I reckon I'm the least of your worries - there's a pack of maybe 10 riders around me that are on a mission :twisted:

Yes, yes there is...
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    iPete wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    Watchout iPete. Only 748 miles behind you :roll: :lol:

enjoy December in the cold wet driving rain... i'll be in the pub :lol:

:twisted:
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Damn you barry_kellett99 and your monthly upload of miles.

So very sorry about that :)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    What's the sound?

Yes, yes there is...

Who are they then?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Should Crack the 6k miles tomorrow!

yeah me.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Well it's not bloody me .. back and leg problems, chest cold and a dodgy stomach have kept me off the bike for over two weeks now.

Missed my normal commute and a mini winter sportive - that's approx 400 miles that I had been counting on.

strava profile
  • Initialised
    Slack day today, what with rivers bursting their banks all around me I figured the less time spent getting drenched the better.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I've had a light month, what with a trip away, children being ill and general fed-upness with getting wet. Still, I'm 200 miles behind Asprilla, who's one place above me, so it's not like I was going anywhere.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    This is tight

36 36 Initialised 4695.1
    37 40 jimmypippa 4665.0 30.1
    38 38 Medders 4652.5 12.5
    39 41 stifflersmom 4615.0 37.5
    40 36 DaxPlusPlus 4611.4 3.6
    41 41 Will3 4603.4 8.0
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    This is tight

36 36 Initialised 4695.1
    41 41 Will3 4603.4 8.0

Yeah, but stifflersmom seems to be a monthly updater, so is liable to jump over that little bunch.

Not that I'm looking over my shoulder at all. :wink:
  • willy b
    Fianlly hit over 1000 miles in a month. Should hit 1,200 by the end too 8)
  • iPete
    Oh :|

You really are staging a last minute attack on my position! :lol:
  • willy b
    Don't worry, you're still 800ish miles ahead! :lol:
  • iPete
    Time to savour the dizzy heights of 5th place!!*

700 mile target for December, think it'll be harder than expected, lots of motivation needed to get off the sofa and go ride, not get a mince pie!

*until the big updates come in from everyone else
  • Initialised
    rubertoe wrote:
    This is tight

36 36 Initialised 4695.1
    41 41 Will3 4603.4 8.0

Yeah, but stifflersmom seems to be a monthly updater, so is liable to jump over that little bunch.

Tight bunch, but I seem to be pulling ahead, until the weekly and monthly updaters get in there!
  • Doffs helmet at OB as he passes.

Heal up well.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rubertoe wrote:
    This is tight

36 36 Initialised 4695.1
    41 41 Will3 4603.4 8.0

Tight bunch, but I seem to be pulling ahead, until the weekly and monthly updaters get in there!

Oh and I've extended my commute....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Well my chect cold has, more or less, gone, my stomach is back to normal and I've just gotten back from a visit to the phsyio with a diagnosis on what's causing the sciatica pain down my left leg: piriformis syndrome (http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome).

So .. nothing too complicated or serious long term.

So .. after a three week break from cycling, I'm ready to get back on the bike, may well give it a try tomorrow morning. It's looking like it'll be cold so good excuse for taking it very easy.

So you guys in the upper 30s ranking have had your chance - normal service is about to be resumed. I'll be the one on the white and black Trek 1.4 slowly overtaking you :wink:

strava profile
  • CiB
    After a week of being stuck on 4965 mls and the nominal target of 5000 being <1 commute away, I've run out of enthusiasm for getting up at 6:45 on a dark freezing cold morning to cycle 21 miles to the office. Unless we have a sudden heatwave that's me done for the year, except for a trip out tomorrow to hit the target.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm about 2 weeks away from my target
  • CiB wrote:
    After a week of being stuck on 4965 mls and the nominal target of 5000 being <1 commute away, I've run out of enthusiasm for getting up at 6:45 on a dark freezing cold morning to cycle 21 miles to the office. Unless we have a sudden heatwave that's me done for the year, except for a trip out tomorrow to hit the target.

You should definitely take some time off until you get your mojo back.
  • CiB
    Happy to slip down the 30s & beyond to the end of the year now. 5000 is enough, the commute is an hour & 5-10 minutes in summer, 1h 10-20m+ in Winter - if it was <10mls it'd be something to do on a whim, but it's not. It's fun most of the time but there's nothing left to prove to myself so I'm done as far as banging miles in to be 29th goes.

Enjoy. :)
  • First commute in 3 weeks :D

On the way home the full moon was out; lighting up the night sky, not a soul for miles .. just me and the bike making our way through the icy, rolling landscape of the Cotswolds.

Although I hate the song I couldn't stop the line "Dancing in the moon light" popping into my head as I got out of the saddle and started climbing up and over the last hill and noticed the moon beaming at me from over my shoulder.

It's good to be back.

strava profile
  • CiB
    CiB wrote:

You should definitely take some time off until you get your mojo back.
    Got it. 35 miles and a good feeling. That was fun. Maybe I will keep pushing... :wink:
  • Reverse psychology works every time.

It's no fun overtaking you if you're happy enough about it.