Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Unless Asprilla's been riding his bike non-stop for the last few days, I think I've finally done enough to stay ahead of him. Got another 40 miles in me at the absolute most: the prospect of a couple of beers after work on Friday is proving too much to resist.

Haven't touched a bike since the 19th :(

Don't think I'm going to get on one before the end of the year either. This year ends with a fizzle rather than a bang...

Excellent! Er, I mean, gutted.

I can now rest, but battle shall no doubt resume shortly.

I'd have gone nuts if I couldn't have ridden this Christmas.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JZed wrote:
    You're safe Stuaff, had brothers wedding just before Christmas and then Christmas at parents so a measly 80 miles to log.

Congratulations on 10th (unless Expatscot sneaks in). I gave up chasing you on the 6th :wink:and set myself a target of ITBoffin + 1,000 (9,001). I have 14 miles to go and then shall be sitting back and sinking some more Black Sheep Ale.

Looking back I should have done a bit more over summer (and looked over my shoulder to see you coming), and if work hadn't ruined October, hadn't gone on holiday in November then may have hit 10,000. Anyway think I hit all my 2011 targets.

Next years target is going to be more focused on fitness and speed so no real mileage target,

Yeah right....great going there, you really got the gap down when you had the chance....
    Same here with 10k. But for the failed LeJOG and a few other missed opportunities, would have been mine too.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    StuAff wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    I gave up chasing you on the 6th :wink:

Yeah right....

True - sadly I even had a daily mileage plan to get me to 9,001.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    itboffin wrote:
    Right then as i'm back in for the stats in 2012 but I'm proposing some slight modifications to the rules.

Many of us have had or will be training for events and already do non "Silly Commuter" extra miles ie weekend rides, sportives, cycling holidays etc. So I think it's high time we classified our riding as follows;

1. Commuting miles - ie the actual distant to and from work without due cause or real reason to add a 50 mile detour ... (you know who you are)
    2. Racing miles - for those that do
    3. Sportive & training miles - for those that like to
    4. Holiday miles - for those that LEJOG, etc etc etc
    5. Turbo or similar miles - controversial but sometimes necessary for many reasons not least our shoot weather

This will give everyone a fairer view of just how those miles are getting racked up and I should imagine bring the thread back to it's origins of "Silly Commuter" miles.

It's been a while since I looked at CIB most-excellent stats site but I do remember it had ride type categories once upon a time...?
    We do have ride types nowadays so miles can be classified how you like.

Two observations re this idea though. One is that however miles are classified they still show only as total cumulative miles on the main board so it's irrelevant how someone claims to have ridden them; the main board will show n total miles regardless. Feel free to add whichever ride descriptions work for you but in the end it's the total that counts.

Turbo miles: we'll have to disagree on this, or both agree that I'm right and you're not [ :wink: ]. Turbo miles isn't cycling miles full stop. Sitting in the kitchen watching a DVD with the resistance down to Granny Settings isn't cycling, and provides a soft option for anyone who wants to boost their numbers with an easy hour in the kitchen when it's too snowy / icy / windy / Eastenders is on etc to bother going out on the bike. Unless there's a rumbling chorus of discontent that wishes turbo & roller miles to be allowed, I'm minded m'lud to continue to exclude them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Perhaps an extra column or two to show commuting / non commuting and total miles ?

Shall I submit a support ticket or change request form ? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Could we have a separate column for turbo miles, but which does not count towards the total miles? I have no idea about techy stuff, so don't know if this is feasible.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    Perhaps an extra column or two to show commuting / non commuting and total miles ?

Ah if only, we need a JIRA raised and a full regression test pack too. I miss the days of working at a little support company where you could just play fast and loose with the systems. Pay was lousy though, funny that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • In my opinion, You don't do any miles on a turbo so feel free to enter your 0 miles every time you do it.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    In my opinion, You don't do any miles on a turbo so feel free to enter your 0 miles every time you do it.

Yup

AKA: CiB is right
  • Thanks CiB for keeping the stats going. And it's fine the way it is.

Goal for next year - crack out a couple of 500 mile months.
    My legs really ache.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    thats all my miles logged for the year depressingly close to 6k, but a broken wrist and a hit n run will turn things on their head a bit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah if only, we need a JIRA raised and a full regression test pack too. I miss the days of working at a little support company where you could just play fast and loose with the systems. Pay was lousy though, funny that.
    Come work with us.
  • dhope
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Come work with us.
    800 mile daily roundtrip might be a bit much for the single speed.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Come work with us.

Honestly, don't be such a girl.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    cjcp wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Come work with us.
    Fine, but I'm gonna drop it from 53-13 to 52-13 for the hills, alright?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Come work with us.

Pffft. You feeling a bit pink today?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Would be good to see a separate column for commuter miles. However how would you define commuter miles? Would all the mile ridden on an extended run home including three laps of the park count? I'd going the long way home would count but what about including a training or even club run on your way home would that count as well?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    cjcp wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Come work with us.
    Pffft. You feeling a bit pink today?
    Pink is the new black.
    Sure I heard that somewhere...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    :D

But that was lahhhhhhst season, dahling. We're back to black now. Do keep up.

EDIT: commuting done for the year. Legs feel as if they've had a workout this week, so I think I've gone a fair way to burning off Christmas. Had tentative plans to race tomorrow, but have been assigned to cooking duties for tomorrow night. Can't say I'm disappointed.

Too early to tuck into the red wine?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

JIRA? pah! Just drop a couple of stories into Mingle, give them a moderate priority and eventually Application Support will drop some code into the automated test and deployment pipeline... (you wish!) +1 on the simple life in the past though :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Start silly commuting turbo miles.....
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Start silly commuting turbo miles.....

Already been done
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Same sit being used for next year (tomorrow?)
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • woo hoo... just bashed out a final 60km for the year to make my end game 5607.2miles :).. very pleased with that !!!!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • CiB
    Lancslad wrote:
    Same sit being used for next year (tomorrow?)
    Yup. It's a bit clunky jumping into the new year - for your first forray in the NY jump back to the 2011 table to add your miles in the usual way and you'll see them appear in the 2012 table. Kudos to the first to post miles in 2012.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm in the lead for 2012!

Haven't done any miles yet - just relogged my account. Am out on a club run later so should be guaranteed a top ten for at least a day or two.
  • I'm in the lead for 2012!

Haven't done any miles yet - just relogged my account. Am out on a club run later so should be guaranteed a top ten for at least a day or two.

Actually (to the sound of faint trumpet blowing) at 12:20 or so I am the leader with real miles :D

Don't expect to last more than a few hours but I'll bask in the glory for all of 2012
  • CiB
    Tssk - too slow off the mark again, missing out on a v temporary top spot by a whole minute. 8)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I am in the lead! Boom. Thats two stage finishes for me already.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Woohoo 5th!! :wink: