Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    tee hee you've got it bad, how about this then i see i have 11 trips on my garmin that i've not uploaded this year - delete and be damned or upload ....?

like i care :lol:

My Garmin is under-reading by 2.5% - wonder whether its being doing it all year? Also it does't record the Blackfriars tunnel. Thats 0.2 miles twice a day 5 times a week. Wonder how long its been doing that for.

Stuaff - just some return fire. Had planned on more miles today but work interfered so just bringing it back on target. Within touching distance now.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Rounding up Boffin?

Out for a Christmas work thing tonight so only 15 miles on way home. Then notice Death Star has fired 15 miles, so wet shoes back on and out for another 20. Madness.

tee hee you've got it bad, how about this then i see i have 11 trips on my garmin that i've not uploaded this year - delete and be damned or upload ....?

like i care :lol:

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't mention it.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yeah, next post he's going to casually mention that he thinks one of the trips he forgot to upload was a LEJOG :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    Rolf F wrote:
    Yeah, next post he's going to casually mention that he thinks one of the trips he forgot to upload was a LEJOG :lol:
    :D
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Premature end to my campaign.
    I was angling for 5k which would have needed some major December mileage and I was getting close. Saladfunky was proving to be a good moving target and would have helped me up into the high forties. Shame I started the year (first 7 months) so poorly.
    The gardening leave gremlins have pulled me down till the end of January and then work will be a mile closer so I'll. Next years (provided new abode has a 'bike park') target will be 6k but I'm also going to look at some audax's as I need the challenge and I'm not built for big hills (etape etc). I'll re-evaluate mid way through.
    I've had a fun year keeping a watchful eye on those ahead and to be frank amazed at those regularly putting in 800m plus a month.
    Have a good Christmas and good luck with any crazy mileage days in the week or so ahead.
    5mtg
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • Reached my own modest target of 3,000 miles tonight - and then picked up a puncture... That might be it for the year, as I'm not sure I can be bothered to go out and fix it properly before the weekend. Quite pleased with 3k, having not been in a position to commute regularly until May. I'll be aiming for 4k next year.

Many thanks to the person/persons behind the Stats site for keeping it going. The prospect of logging my miles and maybe edging up one place has often been motivation enough to get me out on the bike. Much appreciated.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep +1 thanks again CIB for keeping this going as long as it has.

I seem to remember CIB was looking for someone to takeover the hosting and management of this service, is that still the case? if so anyone interested, it would be a shame to let this die.

and i might even re-join next year, it has been fun watching you lot flog yourselves half to death these past years :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep +1 thanks again CIB for keeping this going as long as it has.

I seem to remember CIB was looking for someone to takeover the hosting and management of this service, is that still the case? if so anyone interested, it would be a shame to let this die.

and i might even re-join next year, it has been fun watching you lot flog yourselves half to death these past years :twisted:

+1 on the praise for CIB. Thanks for all the hard work! As I recall, Hatbeard was going to take it on, set up a domain with a home page...and it never went anywhere.

Not flogging myself, frankly...I stepped up the miles for LeJOG training, and then never eased up. And that shambles was by far the worst time I've had this year, on a bike or off. In general, it's been nothing but fun. A ton's not exactly hard work any more....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Takes small bow...

Yeah i was trying to offload it but in the end i kept the domain going anyway. If a bus gets me tomorrow it'll run unmolested for another couple of years till the next renewal, but i'm quite attached to it so it'll probably keep going now until i win.

If you're pondering re-signing next year, don't worry - you're already in. You're in for good really. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
    [edit-unless i deleted you for whatever reason...]
    :)

Anyway. I'm stuck on a whisker under 4000 and can't find the time to do the necessary 8 miles. Pitiful.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    off ill last week with something nasty... I've got 90 miles to do before the 31st. my 4 miles on the brompton this morning were wheezy to say the least. I feel another trip to the pain cave is in order
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    just glimpsed the loaner that Ive been offered and have politely declined: think Halfords Apollo but heavier. Decided that cycling in Istanbul with it would be tantamount to suicide, so no more miles from me this year.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    13,500 miles?

*doffs cap*

Tremendous effort.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    13,500 miles?

*doffs cap*

Tremendous effort.

+1.... if I could do half that I'd be pleased (but Mrs OB might not, she'd never see me)... well there's a target for next year...

Back to this year, missed my Sunday ride cos went to the Leonardo Exhibition at the national, and no commutes this week so far cos I was up't north in Yorkshire. I did however get the opportunity recce the climb at Holme Moss (one of the UK 100) to see if I fancy attempting it in the spring... 1.5miles @ 10% to 542m summit. It was hard enuf in the car! And there was snow on the way up and at the top!

So two more commutes tomorrow and Friday, and a ride on the 28th planned with some friends (weather permitting) and a club ride on the 31st should see me comfortably over 5500, guessing around 5600 for the year.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rolf_f
    Commuting now over but still about 175 miles off remaining random target (7800 miles - 2500 short of last years total :lol: ).

Possible ride for New Years Eve which might add up to 70 or so so a couple of 50s between now and then might do it.

Resolution - next year not to be so damn lazy again from Jan through March......

Interestingly, so far I would have still been in fifth place with my total for last year....... 13th is fine though :D
  • Well nearly there now : couple of rides left to do : home tonight and back in and out tomorrow .....

Then a quiet 100 planned for Saturday : there's a ride across Salisbury Plain through Imber midweek which be close to 100 again and then doubtless something on the Friday so with a little bit of luck I'll make it to 1100 or so for the month and somewhere over 14,250 for the year which is ok and more or less what I was aiming at this time last year.

Next year is definitely going to have to be more focussed and structured though with a JOGLE and the Etape to prepare for ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Then a quiet 100 planned for Saturday : there's a ride across Salisbury Plain through Imber midweek which be close to 100 again and then doubtless something on the Friday so with a little bit of luck I'll make it to 1100 or so for the month and somewhere over 14,250 for the year which is ok and more or less what I was aiming at this time last year.
    You've done in a month the miles I've done in a year :oops:
  • Promise not to do it again : sorry ......
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    Good to see another wilts fella stick-it to these townies

PS. I might also be a townie

Still bloody good show, what! what!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    Bosh - 4010.6, + going back home this arvo and whatever else I can squeeze in before NYE, which makes me almost exactly errr... average, acc to the numbers. Pffft.

Next year. Next year...
    :wink:
  • cjcp
    Unless Asprilla's been riding his bike non-stop for the last few days, I think I've finally done enough to stay ahead of him. Got another 40 miles in me at the absolute most: the prospect of a couple of beers after work on Friday is proving too much to resist.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    Since very few of us have logged anything over the past few days, hard to tell but looks like I might be safe for the top ten. I was aiming for 9.5k for the year, but that's not going to happen now, though there will be a bit more to go over the next few days. Mileage still about 50% up on last year, so not too shabby.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    You're safe Stuaff, had brothers wedding just before Christmas and then Christmas at parents so a measly 80 miles to log.

Congratulations on 10th (unless Expatscot sneaks in). I gave up chasing you on the 6th :wink: and set myself a target of ITBoffin + 1,000 (9,001). I have 14 miles to go and then shall be sitting back and sinking some more Black Sheep Ale.

Looking back I should have done a bit more over summer (and looked over my shoulder to see you coming), and if work hadn't ruined October, hadn't gone on holiday in November then may have hit 10,000. Anyway think I hit all my 2011 targets.

Next years target is going to be more focused on fitness and speed so no real mileage target,
  • CiB
    This'll be my last ride of the year today, but as I'm due on a squash court later this evening it's probably not feasible to add a few more on so 4085 looks like being my year end total. Spookily I ended last year on 4064.1; I'm now on 4064.2. Consistency if nothing else. :wink:

There are some majestic figures there on the Stats board - anyone who can knock out a 1000+ miles every month on a bike probably needs to stay in more tbh but kudos to all, including and especially those who post what may look like pokey little mileages but probably represent as much of an effort to those as the commuters [yeah right] who stick a few hundred up per month. And again we're showing well in excess of half a million miles for the 100 or so enthusiastic contributors. Good going all - that's an impressive number.

So. It works both ways - I'm happy to take the occasional plaudit for keeping Stats going (and will do so now for as long as there's more than just me sticking miles up on it), but enormous thanks to all who contribute to it, wherever you slot into the pile. Here's to next year. Cheers all.
  • suzyb
    Cheers CiB!

Thanks for keeping the stats going :D
  • cjcp
    suzyb wrote:
    Cheers CiB!

Thanks for keeping the stats going :D

+1. Happy New Year, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Right then as i'm back in for the stats in 2012 but I'm proposing some slight modifications to the rules.

Many of us have had or will be training for events and already do non "Silly Commuter" extra miles ie weekend rides, sportives, cycling holidays etc. So I think it's high time we classified our riding as follows;

1. Commuting miles - ie the actual distant to and from work without due cause or real reason to add a 50 mile detour ... (you know who you are)
    2. Racing miles - for those that do
    3. Sportive & training miles - for those that like to
    4. Holiday miles - for those that LEJOG, etc etc etc
    5. Turbo or similar miles - controversial but sometimes necessary for many reasons not least our shoot weather

This will give everyone a fairer view of just how those miles are getting racked up and I should imagine bring the thread back to it's origins of "Silly Commuter" miles.

It's been a while since I looked at CIB most-excellent stats site but I do remember it had ride type categories once upon a time...?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    6. Dream miles. For when you've had a really vivid dream that you've been cycling.
  • suzyb
    6. Dream miles. For when you've had a really vivid dream that you've been cycling.
    Include them and I'll be way out ahead.

itboffin, what about just "out for a ride" miles. Your list above doesn't really cover the miles I do if we're getting technical.
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    5. Turbo or similar miles - controversial but sometimes necessary for many reasons not least our shoot weather

Not controversial - simply against the rules; turbos don't count. I presume nobody is counting those as they need to get some serious cropping in over the next couple of days if they do! Otherwise I'm adding my driving miles cos that isn't cycling either :lol:

Maybe you can persuade Chris to add a completely separate SCT page.

I subdivide my miles as it on SCStats is but more complicatedly than you suggest so I'd rather not conform with your list (apols) - eg I need to log which specific bike does which mileage otherwise the speeds come out a bit meaningless.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Unless Asprilla's been riding his bike non-stop for the last few days, I think I've finally done enough to stay ahead of him. Got another 40 miles in me at the absolute most: the prospect of a couple of beers after work on Friday is proving too much to resist.

Haven't touched a bike since the 19th :(

Don't think I'm going to get on one before the end of the year either. This year ends with a fizzle rather than a bang...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX