Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Getting very bored&it actually hurts more now,esp when i move around.But i'm hoping if i have complete rest for the next 2/3 weeks maybe i can at least get on the turbo&slowly build back up over the following month.But having never broken my collarbone before i can only go with what the quacks say.Lots of time to get back to fitness before the racing season starts next year so i don't want to rush it.
    I also do a lot of sea fishing but have been told it'll be 4-6months before i can cast a light rod&possably upto 12months before i can whack a beachaster out.As for work i'm a roof tiler god only knows how long it'll be before i can lift tiles on my shoulder again.But at least i will mend again :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ouch! dont rush it and listen to the physio
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Airwave wrote:
    upto 12months before i can whack a beachaster out.

Is that a euphemism? :shock:

Glad to hear you're on the mend, it sounds like a horrific incident.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    When I broke my collarbone I was advised to try and use the arm as normal and not to rest it. The reason for this was that they wanted me to get as much mobility back into the shoulder as possible, if it was kept in a sling then this could have reduced the movement.

As it is, other than a lump on the bone, you wouldn't notice anything different.

Depends upon how bad the break is and what current medical advice is, as it was 20 years ago.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Airwave wrote:
    The driver was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

http://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/

Amazing. Had he attacked you with any other weapon, he wouldn't be being charged with "dangerous clubbing/knifing/shooting/delete as appropriate"
  • I'm just catching up on all the news. Shocking goings on down on the coast there. I hope you make a speedy recovery Airwave. Did this idiot try to defend what he did? I hope he gets an appropriate ban.

I was deliberately buzzed by a car a few weeks ago, but was lucky enough just to get a bruised hand from his wing mirror. What do they hope to achieve?

Meanwhile... I'm sulking down in 25th place after tapering and then a mechanical in my Ironman last week. You guys have put such big gaps in between the placings, it's going to be a hard slog up the rankings!

Happy end of summer heatwave to everyone,
    be_green_recycle
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    What a lovely day... perfect for a lunchtime ride I think
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *looks at stats*... Oi!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    *looks at stats*... Oi!

Look, don't you two start getting all competitive behind me. I can't be waffed with having to up my game.
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:
    *looks at stats*... Oi!

:lol:

Was wondering when you'd notice... upped my game this month somewhat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • So I’ve been studying the SC stats and trying to see what finishing point I’d like to get for the season. This week I’ll have plugged in over 225m after tomorrows commute – enough hopefully to put some space in to English John & see him off. He was no doubt fancying my position for himself late September.

Looking at the stats and anticipating an increasing reluctance in the commute given the changing clocks & seasons I have a few on the radar that seem to be relatively active and so worthwhile targeting.

To the year end I reckon that there are 26 commutes / rides on the cards – that’s 8 per month in Nov / Dec and another 10 for the next 3 weeks in October. My forecast is based on this.

First up is Saladfunky.Whilst only 174 miles ahead and a short commuter (bike to the farm 2m) he’s appearing pretty keen on riding all through the day – night time rides, lunchtime ‘mooch’s’, night pootle’s and family rides! Do you have a separate steed for each occasion? Don’t know how challenged I feel with Saladfunky – maybe I’m hoping that the rain will muddy those country lanes and the family doesn’t want to go out anymore! At an average of 15 miles a trip through September he’ll have 3864 by close of season. Should be relatively simple to reach.

Next up is Sketchley. Looks like a steady commuting pace through all months regardless of the weather. Reminds me of Derek and Clive’s Durex Handicap Hurdle starting line up. Year end prediction based on the commute is circa 4367 miles. Maybe the weather ‘up north’ will hamper those efforts and give me a leg up unless he takes a 20 detour to the next junction on the A1 from time to time.

Cambs sticks some miles in with a 41 mile commute although the odd leg of 7 miles (PT assisted??) cos in from time to time. Maybe more of this comes with Christmas merriments. Prediction 4634 miles year end.

BD of the C’s. I’ve a good guess what that stands for and your extended commutes of 6 miles or so has helped you keep the pace. 4355 at year end.

Optimistic Biker. A slow starter and another contender for Derek & Clive’s line up. Strong months through the summer but will you wilt? Would predict 4774 but if you keep missing days like this week then I’m gonna be revising that and shall be right on your tail!

Finally Jon Ginge. Hitting these peaks will see me get close to that top 30. 22m commute will get you to 5060 year end but with that consistency I think more . I think you may be out of reach?

As for myself my summer steed may be retired for the season this weekend unless I want to shell out for costly parts given the winter roads. (but it does ride easier). My Friday legs seem to continue all through the week now and I don’t reckon I’ll be doing to many club runs with the KW this side of Xmas unless the weather holds and the war office makes allowance. On current forecast (4238) I’d only be ahead of Salad Funky so fear I’ll have to extend to get a look on the others.

Keep an eye in the rear view – those miles clock up quick when I wind it up.
    Personally I’d be happy to get to 43rd or better (improving 11 places on current) or even happier with a top 40 finish.

It would be good to know what your predictions are and whose targeting whom. I can’t be the only one out there anticipating an extended commute if needs be or maybe a ‘lunchtime mooch’ if I have the time!
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    5milestogo wrote:
    It would be good to know what your predictions are and whose targeting whom. I can’t be the only one out there anticipating an extended commute if needs be or maybe a ‘lunchtime mooch’ if I have the time!

You're not, I'm anticipating around 13,300miles by the 3rd week of Dec or year end for me, as I'll be away for Xmas.

Position wise, I suspect (strongly) that RM will overtake me either this weekend or next and so with Airwave off sick, 2nd place.

1 spot higher and 2,000 more miles than last year so that's good
  • 5milestogo wrote:

Optimistic Biker. A slow starter and another contender for Derek & Clive’s line up. Strong months through the summer but will you wilt? Would predict 4774 but if you keep missing days like this week then I’m gonna be revising that and shall be right on your tail!
    I reckon there are, conservatively, 40 more commutes (based on my diary) and 10 weekend rides till the end of the year - i make that a further 1650miles... end of year target ~5650miles (weather permitting - but only ice or heavy snow will stop me)

My original target was >5000 miles so expect to beat that comfortably...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My original target was 100 mile a week average. Holidays, broken wheels and broken bikes have put me behind. But I'm back on track now. Keep up if you can!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • 5milestogo wrote:

I reckon there are, conservatively, 40 more commutes (based on my diary) and 10 weekend rides till the end of the year - i make that a further 1650miles... end of year target ~5650miles (weather permitting - but only ice or heavy snow will stop me)

My original target was >5000 miles so expect to beat that comfortably...

Ouch! Better make use of the daylight hours while I have time and Christmas parties dont get in the way
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • I'm hoping to hit 9k miles, would of been more but have lost the opertunity of weekend rides due to the birth of my son in August. Still managed to get a 50 mile and a 110 mile ride in whilst on paternity leave though :-)

Next year should be more, planning on doing the full commute daily, which nets me 220 per week and at some point I'd like to join a local club for Sunday morning rides.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm targeting 8000 miles this year, which is 1500 miles up on last year. At the moment I'm targeting staying in the top 20 as the miles being logged at this heady height means a day off usually results in a scalping.

Was 23rd last year and I can't believe that 1500 more miles, an increase of 20%, only going to raise me about 5 places.

Insanity abounds in this place.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Also targetting 8000 though not sure if I'll make it. That's down 2300 on last year and probably 10 places. Depends a bit on the weather though. If there had been a summer, I would have been better off than I am now!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Been playing with the calculator tonight and it tells me I beat last years total a week ago and if I carry on with the weekly averages I'll beat last year by approx 30%.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    You've called it about right for me, i'm reckoning on about 400mi/m until the end of the year. Not sure if i can up it further than that as the body starts to complain.

Quite surprised to have caught up with Sketchley who is a consitent miler but the holiday breaks are starting to unwind and we're level pegging. This is a comp that might push me a bit further.

What happened to CiB though? I had him down as a fellow traveller, big commutes but not every day, family stuff to contend with at the weekends, etc. There were some brave words in summer about commuting every day but that didn't happen. He's comfortably back in my rear view mirror now.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    cambs wrote:
    What happened to CiB though? I had him down as a fellow traveller, big commutes but not every day, family stuff to contend with at the weekends, etc. There were some brave words in summer about commuting every day but that didn't happen. He's comfortably back in my rear view mirror now.
    Did someone call? I'm stuffed these days re big miles. Can only ride in twice a week; the school run on the other days doesn't leave enough time to ride in so that's just 81 miles per week for now - not enough. Weekends are taken up with transporting kids to their activities nowadays so weekend rides are harder to fit in as well. And then in August the bike had to go in for warranty - 'might take a couple of weeks sir'; no bother I'm on hols for a fortnight. A month later I finally got it back. That's a month when the schools are shut and I could be on the 4/5 day commute (160-200 per week). Grmmpphhhh.

Current target is to hit about 4200 +/- a bit. If I could get a divorce or maybe flog the kids to a foreign consortium on Ebay I'd be ok. Apparently it's not allowed. PC gone mad I tell you.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    CiB wrote:
    cambs wrote:
    Did someone call? I'm stuffed these days re big miles. Can only ride in twice a week; the school run on the other days doesn't leave enough time to ride in so that's just 81 miles per week for now - not enough. Weekends are taken up with transporting kids to their activities nowadays so weekend rides are harder to fit in as well. And then in August the bike had to go in for warranty - 'might take a couple of weeks sir'; no bother I'm on hols for a fortnight. A month later I finally got it back. That's a month when the schools are shut and I could be on the 4/5 day commute (160-200 per week). Grmmpphhhh.

Current target is to hit about 4200 +/- a bit. If I could get a divorce or maybe flog the kids to a foreign consortium on Ebay I'd be ok. Apparently it's not allowed. PC gone mad I tell you.

Are you going to stay ahead of me though?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mebbe. Got an event on Sunday that'll give me 70 hilly miles, then next week I can do 5 days, provided I can keep off the red. :) That's a potential 300 on the cards, then into the routine of 2 per week + the odd weekend ride where poss.
  • cambs
    @CiB Now go and write n+1 a thousand times with your left hand.

@Will3 Blimey. If you'd been booking those miles since january you'd be giving the top 15 a reason to check over their shoulders.
  • cambs wrote:
    @Will3 Blimey. If you'd been booking those miles since january you'd be giving the top 15 a reason to check over their shoulders.

I noticed will3 storming up behind me a while back and correctly foresaw that he would be overtaking me in no time.

I'm hoping to keep up an average of 350 - 400 miles per month, which should see me past 3000 miles for the year and hopefully about 75th place. I'll be very pleased with that. given that different work circumstances meant I couldn't commute until May.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Not sure what I'll finish on to be honest?

So much depends on the weather, injuries, accidents ..... Airwave would have been way ahead of us all without the intervention of an idiot driver so who knows.

With a bit of luck I'll break 1000 again this month though I'm away in the States for 3 or 4 days : maybe another couple of thousand if I'm lucky before the end of the year??

I think I'm safe for a place in the top 10 though :D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Top 25 would be good, but simply beating UE would be better!!

Have not capitalised on my summer miles, with a niggling injury laying me low in August and September. That together with an overall increase in Mountain Biking activities has kepy my mileage lower than I would have liked.

Really hoping to break 6,000 this year, was 150 miles short last year.

Been a decent year for it, without being too crazy.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    cambs

You may of caught up, but can you pass and make it stick! I'm targeting 600 mi/m for the next three months as I really want to hit 5200 for the year. By the time I get home tonight I'll be 150+ for this week so that's one week down and 11 to go.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cambs
    @Sketchley

Targets ,shmargets.

Six hundred a month for the rest of the year when you've not hit 600 in a month before?
    In the rain, gales, snow and xmas season?

We shall see..
    :D
  • Clever Pun
    This year for me was just to see how far I went without trying... thing is as the table starts to take shape, I see targets ahead and the whole experiment is shot.

top 30 spot will happen, hopefully without the stupidity of last year. Home via stratford tonight
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5