Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    @CiB... appreciate the effort in maintaining the stats site... just a little niggle tho, the sort on "Miles added this month" doesn't seem to work or have I misunderstood its purpose (the drop down above the table)? It certainly re-arranges the table - I move from 81st to 76th yay! - but that makes no sense when you look at the miles added for May :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That drop-down filters the results to show only users who have contributed in the current month, so you'll climb a bit if there are riders above you who've not added any this month.

It works how I intended it to work.
  • optimisticbiker
    CiB wrote:
    That drop-down filters the results to show only users who have contributed in the current month, so you'll climb a bit if there are riders above you who've not added any this month.

It works how I intended it to work.
    Ah i see, it makes sense now...its not really 'miles added in the month' but 'accounts updated in this month' (even if the miles added were just an overall total and had nothing to do with the month).
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Only 346.9 miles in may. Not good enough :(

I now need 77 miles this week just to maintain a 100 mile a week average and I'm not riding today.

Must ride everyday in June to make up for it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Morning chaps : I'm afraid Gold Hill defeated us :

The rain on Monday was absolutely lashing down all the way to Shaftsbury and I never for a minute imagined I'd be that wet and that cold that I was shivering non-stop for the last hour before we got there.

As we rounded the corner to the Hill we could see the rain running in streams down the cobbles towards us. Undeterred we changed down and started climbing but only got about 8-10 feet onto the Hill when our back wheels started spinning like crazy beneath us. I just managed to unclip before toppling over as did my pal.

We're definitely going to go back and do it again though (when it's dry and sunny). To put the tin hat on it when we left for home after a well deserved baked potato for lunch in the cafe at the top of the hill the wretched wind had changed direction and it was in our faces again nearly all the way home along with another dose of driving rain.

Just over 106 miles in total and it was tough : I don't mind admitting I struggled on the way into work this morning :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Back from LEJOG. 8 1/2 days, 961 miles, 56 hours giving a riding average of just over 17mph.

First few days were fast with fresh legs and tailwind assistance. The odd shower to soak us through to the skin.

Day 3 and 4 were a bit more blustery but still relatively fast (18/19mph averages). More rain. At this point LEJOG was seeming easy and with the usual comments in mind that the first few days are the hardest and you get stronger as you go on, I expected to keep picking up the pace.

Scotland had different ideas. Strong headwinds, constant rain, freezing temperatures, hailstorms, some challenging climbs. Added to the camping and picking up a cold, made the second half very challenging.

Overall a great experience with some great people for a great charity. But boy what an extreme experience.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Chapeau JZed

I spent the last month basically eating BBQ food and drinking beer :roll:

The Magnificat is going to be brutal :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • optimisticbiker
    Chapeau to anyone that does LEJOG, I can't imagine riding that far... even 100miles is a target thats some way away for me...

but on the flip side broke 1200miles for the year and 500 for the month today so well chuffed :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    JZed wrote:
    Scotland had different ideas. Strong headwinds, constant rain, freezing temperatures, hailstorms, some challenging climbs. Added to the camping and picking up a cold, made the second half very challenging.
    Welcome to Scotland :lol:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Chapeau JZed
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's excellent work, JZed. A bit of R+R and you'll be flying for the marmotte :D

*quietly goes off to log a 22mile commute*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • the other me
    the other me Posts: 114
    it may not be much compared to some of you loons, but May was my first ever 700 mile month!

go me! :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Half term this week so had it sorted in my head - a 30 mile loosener on Monday, 4 days comuting on the bike ~170 with a few extended commutes to take in the air would have seen me rise inexorably into the top 50. Instead I'm of work & confined to barracks with man-flu, likely to suffer cabin fever a this rate. Spent yeterday afternoon sitting in the sun with the bike stripped down to the washers so at least that's clean and ready to go. The 4 day commute has gone forever though, back to the regular 2 days per week next week.

<Grumbles about schools not being off for long enough these days...>
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    So, miles on the track count... the rules indicate that. But I'm not entirely sure how many I did, I can have a conservative guess of 50 laps I reckon

so I'm adding 14 miles to my distance unless anyone has any objections?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    So, miles on the track count... the rules indicate that. But I'm not entirely sure how many I did, I can have a conservative guess of 50 laps I reckon

If the wheels are moving and the ground below is changing it counts - and before any smart arse points out that rollers move.

SHUT IT

So CP which track?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    nothing for me today; went running instead, quite pleased with myself, as I haven't been running for months and still managed 8 min miles cross country for 4 miles.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Longest single ride of the year yesterday, 36 miles. Had to get up at 4.47am to get out and back before the kids woke up :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JZed wrote:
    Back from LEJOG. 8 1/2 days, 961 miles, 56 hours giving a riding average of just over 17mph.

First few days were fast with fresh legs and tailwind assistance. The odd shower to soak us through to the skin.

Day 3 and 4 were a bit more blustery but still relatively fast (18/19mph averages). More rain. At this point LEJOG was seeming easy and with the usual comments in mind that the first few days are the hardest and you get stronger as you go on, I expected to keep picking up the pace.

Overall a great experience with some great people for a great charity. But boy what an extreme experience.

Bravo! Just back from my failed attempt today. I can't, hand on heart, claim this as a LeJOG or ask for donations for it. Day one went well, apart from assorted navigation fails around Launceston. And rather a bit of rain. Day two was a different kettle of fish. I had what proved to be a stomach bug early on (thought at the time it was just a full breakfast sitting heavily), realised my saddle was a bit low and sorted that.... but kept lagging behind the group, and instead of refuelling and stretching properly, kept riding as hard as I could in a bid to catch up. My colleagues weren't exactly helpful in this- throughout the trip, everyone just rode at their own pace, so the racing snakes (one of them a 59 year old who's only been riding seriously for less than 18 months) left the rest of us to their own devices rather than helping out, having a chat... Anyone who lagged behind (not just sick etc, just lagging behind a little) was supposed to go in the van. That, to my mind, missed the point. Apart from simply being supposed to RIDE THE WHOLE THING, I thought the idea of having a group was to ride as one. And I'm not slow, 14-15mph average all day (not rolling, total) is not slow. The mileage certainly was not a problem, I've done plenty of centuries. But only when I keep eating and drinking. The inevitable bonk happened, first time for me, and I ended up in the van for the rest of the day. At dinner I very slowly ate most of a bowl of pasta before returning it whence it came. Threw up again in the morning, and went in the support car. Eventually, after much agony etc, was in good enough shape to ride the last 22 miles the next day. More time in the van followed every time it was deemed necessary (scheduling starts etc early enough could have sorted this of course....). Actually rode 555 miles or so. Not good enough, I will be back to do it properly...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

If the wheels are moving and the ground below is changing it counts - and before any smart ars* points out that rollers move.

SHUT IT

So CP which track?

Herne Hill.. great fun, I was knackered after though, the ride home was pretty damned slow,.. going next week though. I think I'll last better in the final exercise if I've not done an hour induction beforehand... next will tell. I stayed with the front 3 fro nearly the whole way then faded to 5th/6th in the final 3 laps...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    My 11 day unassisted LEJOG has boosted me up to 12th place. Day 1 was 101 miles with 8680ft total ascent - try that with 11kg of panniers and bike bag attached to the back...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • stuaff
    Mr Plum wrote:
    My 11 day unassisted LEJOG has boosted me up to 12th place. Day 1 was 101 miles with 8680ft total ascent - try that with 11kg of panniers and bike bag attached to the back...

Nice one!
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    StuAff wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Nice one!
    +1, reminds me of the dutch bloke on an MTB with four panniers I passed about a km from the summit of the Galibier. Chapeau.

Sorry to hear about your LEJOG travails, Stu. Doesn't sound fun at all.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jzed
    I have the utmost respect for anyone who rides LEJOG with all their kit on panniers, its hard enough just man and bike. Chapeau Mr Plum.

@Stuaff - shame you came down with a bug. A load of people on our ride came down with the stomach bug. I was fortunate to miss it. We had around 150 riders so finding riders at a similar pace wasn't too hard.
  • stuaff
    Yup, pretty pathetic when a group of seven can't work together...
  • Mr Plum
    StuAff wrote:
    Yup, pretty pathetic when a group of seven can't work together...

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate. It's crap when the others you're riding with don't want to ride in a group. It was only me an a mate throughout our trip and he didn't want to 'ride in formation' so to speak - makes it a much tougher day when the winds are strong. One day through Scotland the wind was so strong that at points I was cycling hard downhill and struggling to maintain 12mph. On the flat it was more like 6mph. Terrible.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jzed
    Mr Plum wrote:
    One day through Scotland the wind was so strong that at points I was cycling hard downhill and struggling to maintain 12mph. On the flat it was more like 6mph. Terrible.

Brings back painful memories - was this Glencoe? We were met with 70mph gusts and horizontal flying hail. My group dropped me and then was forced to peddle flat out down into the valley otherwise I was being blown backwards.
  • stuaff
    Glencoe was a bit blowy, I think it's in the unwritten rules somewhere. No hail, thankfully. And I never do well when it's windy at the best of times....
    Last day into JOG was 62 miles into a headwind. Lovely.....!!!
  • Mr Plum
    JZed wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    One day through Scotland the wind was so strong that at points I was cycling hard downhill and struggling to maintain 12mph. On the flat it was more like 6mph. Terrible.

Brings back painful memories - was this Glencoe? We were met with 70mph gusts and horizontal flying hail. My group dropped me and then was forced to peddle flat out down into the valley otherwise I was being blown backwards.

Ha, I was about to say that it was along the A82, then I got Glencoe on Google Map... That sounds horrible though.

Our Day 8 leg (Sunday 29th May) was Stirling to Fort William (A84, A85, A82) and it was probably the worst day of the tour for morale and having to really dig deep physically and mentally to get through it. Pissing with rain for at least 60 miles of it and blowing a hoolie the whole day. Took us over 10 hours.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    StuAff wrote:
    Glencoe was a bit blowy, I think it's in the unwritten rules somewhere. No hail, thankfully. And I never do well when it's windy at the best of times....
    Last day into JOG was 62 miles into a headwind. Lovely.....!!!

Our last day into JOG was a similar distance but with the winds on our back, then we had to cycle the 15 miles back to Wick into a strong headwind after finishing. It was probbaly the longest 15 miles of the trip and the harder I pushed to get through it the more pissed off I was getting as I knew that these were just 'extra' miles at the end of a really tough 11 days.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jzed
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Our Day 8 leg (Sunday 29th May) was Stirling to Fort William (A84, A85, A82) and it was probably the worst day of the tour for morale and having to really dig deep physically and mentally to get through it. Pissing with rain for at least 60 miles of it and blowing a hoolie the whole day. Took us over 10 hours.

We went a little bit wester than Stirling. Went from Helensburgh, out round the Lochs, up a climb called "Rest and be Thankful", there was no rest and I wasn't thankful, to Inverary and then eventually got onto A82, out to Fort Augustus. 145 miles in total and rained for around 100 of them. Easily the hardest days ride I've done and I met alot of demons along the way. Whilst we hated it at the time, I don't think we would have had it any other way - it adds to the challenge and the feeling of achievement at the end.