Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thank you CiB you've taken my baby and turned it into a monster, I think you and I can be happy together we've made over 100 people suffer for 2 years in a row.

:lol:

:twisted:

:lol:

Been fun though in a sick kinda way, esp today 20 miles into a 32 mile MTB ride I was descending on sheet ice at 27 mph full on fear mode but what kept me going ...?

Regaining CJCP scalp and a few miles closer to my personal target for 2010.

As i've said before there's a therapist out that who'd have a field day on us.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited December 2010
    suzyb wrote:
    Couldn't you find some free hosting and just park the site there.
    Free web hosts are 10 a penny; it's the SQL DB that puts the dampers on that. I'll happily hand over the source & DB etc to anyone who has a spare domain with MS SQL.
  • CiB
    itboffin wrote:
    Thank you CiB you've taken my baby and turned it into a monster, I think you and I can be happy together we've made over 100 people suffer for 2 years in a row.
    :twisted: Like I said, it's been fun...

Good idea all those moons ago. Wish I'd thought of it first...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers for your efforts, CiB. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1^n for all the effort that's gone into it.
  • itboffin
    Morning fellow suffers, cold today wasn't it ? :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    CiB I'm neither an ms-sql'er or an ASP'er but could you send me the source/db and I might look to port it over to php or something for new years day, I have a dedicated vps at my disposal so shouldn't be too much of a problem hosting it and I'm a coder by trade so the rest should be a cinch.
    Hat + Beard
  • CiB
    Thanks for the offer Hat.

I'll extract the source in a day or two - my home PC is blue-screening at the minute so I can't get at it on the NAS too readily.

It's all written in Visual Studio 2008 but the logic is pretty simple to follow, if a bit ungainly in places. Most of the grunt is in the MS-SQL stored procedures, which again will transpose easily to PHP. Pity I rewrote it in ASP.NET this time last year; it started out as a PHP project for the first few months.

I'm out tonight & tomorrow so don't expect anything before mid-week.
  • hatbeard
    CiB wrote:
    Thanks for the offer Hat.

I'll extract the source in a day or two - my home PC is blue-screening at the minute so I can't get at it on the NAS too readily.

It's all written in Visual Studio 2008 but the logic is pretty simple to follow, if a bit ungainly in places. Most of the grunt is in the MS-SQL stored procedures, which again will transpose easily to PHP. Pity I rewrote it in ASP.NET this time last year; it started out as a PHP project for the first few months.

I'm out tonight & tomorrow so don't expect anything before mid-week.

nice one, cheers.
    Hat + Beard
  • gbsahne001
    ...and through the 11k barrier
  • cjcp
    gbsahne wrote:

*ponders the physical suffering required to cycle 3,500 miles more than I have done at this point and that it would require a 17-month year*

Chapeau!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    11 is an odd number you know?

Nothing i'm just saying that's all :twisted:

*Spins around three times, touches the floor and wanders off
  • cjcp
    Feck. Gert Lush is up and running again.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    gbsahne wrote:

Well done matey.

I'd have been happy to do half of that. As it stands I've got no hope of hitting my 5000 target, reckon I'll be lucky to get to 4500.

Just like to say thanks to CiB for running the stats table.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    I left the office early to avoid the triple whammy of cold, foggy & dark, needn't have bothered all three were in effect to the MAX.

That's my last commute in those conditions for a while, very dangerous even I couldn't see objects just a few feet away how the hell someone in a car would is beyond me.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @CiB Cheers for hosting this for the last couple of years. It's the mile logging site i use most regularly. That's for a couple of reasons: 1) a lot of the SCR lot also log their miles, 2) it's easy: no unnecessary fluff.

@Hat. Good man :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CiB
    CheersJG, and others.

Hat - rather than undoing my ASP.Net code and making it run in PHP, and then having to undo the MS Stored Procs to make the equivalent in [presumably] MySQL, how about this?

You have a good run at knocking up a version of Stats, and I can leave the current version running until you're ready. Gives you about 3 months or so to knock it into shape; like I said it's not rocket science and from when I've had to unpick someone else's code and rework it, it's been a palava - easier I'd have thought to start with a clean slate. If there was a sense of continuity there'd be no need for me to unplug mine in the new year as it would't all disappear in March.
  • hatbeard
    CiB wrote:
    CheersJG, and others.

Hat - rather than undoing my ASP.Net code and making it run in PHP, and then having to undo the MS Stored Procs to make the equivalent in [presumably] MySQL, how about this?

You have a good run at knocking up a version of Stats, and I can leave the current version running until you're ready. Gives you about 3 months or so to knock it into shape; like I said it's not rocket science and from when I've had to unpick someone else's code and rework it, it's been a palava - easier I'd have thought to start with a clean slate. If there was a sense of continuity there'd be no need for me to unplug mine in the new year as it would't all disappear in March.

I already had a look at joomla plugins as a base but they're all naff. I might write my own plugin which should be pretty straightforward and saves on the hassle of writing the user login etc so I should be able to get something up and running pretty quickly as joomla can do all that for me.
    Hat + Beard
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i whipped one up in hobo (based on rails) in under 20 mins flat.

My server wont run it :( some stack overflow error. I now have a stable version of NetBSD on it but cant test for a few weeks as work has me down south.

If you want a hand with anything Mr Hat let me know.

But suffice to say between us we can easily have something in place for next year.

Now just to find a way to mass produce my SCR cycle computer mwahaha
  • cjcp
    400 miles to the target...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Stay on target!

Me, I've turned my computer off...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • hatbeard
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Stay on target!

well that is the only way to fire a proton torpedo into the exhaust vent. isn't it red leader :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

Yeh I mean just look at the slow old fossil just in front on you ....one extra ride and he'd be dust :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    11 is an odd number you know?

Nothing i'm just saying that's all :twisted:

*Spins around three times, touches the floor and wanders off

Yeah, he's right you know. Just enough time I reckon if you can manage to get 300 in over Christmas day and boxing day........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    only 8 more commutes (off to Portugal today) and 1 weekend left, so I'll be lucky to get to 11.5k; don't kn ow how the 2 above me have got to and past 12k though
  • itboffin
    Terrible nights sleep or rather lack of sleep thanks to restless legs, don't you hate that :evil:
  • CiB
    @Hat + MKirby.

Sounds promising. There's a hidden page that allows realtime download by authorised users of the core user data (minus passwords) as CSVs. I put it there when someone else got a bit of a way down taking it over, but it never happened in the end. I'll put the page back up and give you both access in the next few days.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Stay on target!

yeah, PT miles don't count
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Stay on target!

yeah, PT miles don't count
    Oh! Who knew?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yeh I mean just look at the slow old fossil just in front on you ....one extra ride and he'd be dust :wink:

How's the dust tasting? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."