Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Been pretty much working from home all week so it's been an extra effort to get the miles in, at least with the commute I have a destination, I did try riding to the station and back in one go but to be honest I've not really done many 50+ mile rides since this summers silly sportives.

Laps and loops of the muddy icy lanes for me, in the dark too :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Been pretty much working from home all week so it's been an extra effort to get the miles in, at least with the commute I have a destination, I did try riding to the station and back in one go but to be honest I've not really done many 50+ mile rides since this summers silly sportives.

it was your hairbrained scheme.. MTFU

this time of year isn't the place for extensions to commuting... no sir
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Clever Pun wrote:

I tend to agree; this mornings extended run is likely to be my last one of the year.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I've now resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to hit my 5000 mile target. I've got no chance of getting 800 miles in - bugger!

Must do much better next year!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I know but whos the bigger fool, the fool or those who follow the fool :lol:

Oh wait i'm all alone on this one :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Benno68 wrote:
    I've now resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to hit my 5000 mile target. I've got no chance of getting 800 miles in - bugger!

Must do much better next year!

Come on fella you can do it, btw you've really help me stay on target for this years 8000 miles - in fact you could say you've shed some light on the problem :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited November 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What are you on about? I've not done an unextended commute for about 6 months!
    And I'm not stopping now!

Don't worry ITB, you aren't entirely alone. If I manage another 50 tomorrow, I might push for a couple of 35s at the weekend to make it a big three oh, oh. Depends on't weather though. Only managed 27 today due to trip to Brum and needing to warm up my new Marathon Winter. That was hard work. If I can find another Marathon WInter, I reckon I'll swap over the one I have on now so I only have to do the warm up with one again!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Rolf F wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What are you on about? I've not done an unextended commute for about 6 months!

Don't worry ITB, you aren't entirely alone. If I manage another 50 tomorrow, I might push for a couple of 35s at the weekend to make it a big three oh, oh. Depends on't weather though. Only managed 27 today due to trip to Brum and needing to warm up my new Marathon Winter. That was hard work. If I can find another Marathon WInter, I reckon I'll swap over the one I have on now so I only have to do the warm up with one again!

The point :arrow:

<- you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Morning CJCP your scalp is mine :twisted:
  • rolf_f
    Clever Pun wrote:

<- you

Arrrghh! Stop confusing me with your arrows going left and your arrows going right!

Anyway, the point is it is still very much extended commute season. The only time that stops is when there is snow or sheet ice on the ground......
  • itboffin
    i'm having to dig deep now, how you folks at the top consistently knock out 1k months i'll never know, I seem to be either cycling or eating at the moment.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    the eating bit is good though
  • Clever Pun
    Rolf F wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

<- you

Arrrghh! Stop confusing me with your arrows going left and your arrows going right!

Anyway, the point is it is still very much extended commute season. The only time that stops is when there is snow or sheet ice on the ground......

*sigh* my point was I've extended my commutes consistently too but I don't want others too...geddit?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    Clever Pun wrote:
    *sigh* my point was I've extended my commutes consistently too but I don't want others too...geddit?

Lol! Yes, just about. I think I am cycling so much my muscles are starting to feed on my brain :lol:
    Oh yes, I see that coveted final top 10 place is within reach of at least four. If I were you, I'd be worried.........

ITB - I'm still in. All now down to the weather. I run up to Skipton will get me to around 275 and the remainder can be done on a wee trip into town on Sunday. If......it.......doesn't.......snow...........................
  • itboffin
    Sad news to report, just back from the hospital and it's a green light for surgery in my shoulder, they're going to shave a bit of bone off to allow my tendons to move freely again.

even worse, they're going to do this in the next couple of weeks :shock: might 8k goal for the year is looking very unlikely :cry:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

No it ain't, 'cos you ain't gonna make the pass stick. :twisted:

P.S. Sorry to hear about the need for the op. Best to get it down now because you can rest over Christmas.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

P.S. Sorry to hear about the need for the op. Best to get it down now because you can rest over Christmas.

thanks but ...
    By the time you get back all tanned and fat from your loafing about on holiday i'll be at least 100 miles ahead if not more :twisted:

Your scalp kept my head extra warm during today little ride, might stuff it in the shorts for some extra winter padding :shock: :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    ... for some extra winter padding :shock: :lol:

Don't us MAMILs have enough extra padding already?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    redvee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    ... for some extra winter padding :shock: :lol:

Don't us MAMILs have enough extra padding already?

Nope - it is the youngsters who are the fat ones.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

thanks but ...
    By the time you get back all tanned and fat from your loafing about on holiday i'll be at least 100 miles ahead if not more :twisted:

Your scalp kept my head extra warm during today little ride, might stuff it in the shorts for some extra winter padding :shock: :lol:

Huh. S'funny, because I'm back and only 12 miles behind you.

You'd better buy a skull cap...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    That was yesterday, today is a new day oh and my wife is away this weekend, so even more free time :lol:

talking of skull caps i did just buy the Castelli hat system, nice and warm.
  • itboffin
    Oh my it's cold out there, lucky for me we only have the thinest dusting of snow.

:roll:

brrrrr

Edit: -5 here in Marlborough at the moment
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Car was showing -9 on the way home tonight at only 5pm. I really hope it's wrong :(
  • itboffin
    It snowed a couple of times today but so light nothing settled, which is a shame as i'm totally ready now.
  • rolf_f
    Waiting on a second Marathon WInter. No-one has them here so I ordered one from Germany. Cheaper there than from the UK anyway :lol:

ITB - I see you only need another 20 miles. 30 for me. Should be OK as long as the weather is reasonably sensible. Want to take out the touring bike tomorrow rather than the MTB.........
  • itboffin
    18 if you please, I was sooooo tempted to knock them out tonight but opted for an hour turbo session instead, it was actually nice to be warm & dry for a change.

The plan tomorrow is to do my usual 10 miles CX lap, which is frankly a tad boring now, then knock the last 8 off on the MTB in the forest 8)

Alas I have a second goal, 1000 miles for Nov so I'll still need to do at least 45 miles tomorrow, Mon & Tues :?

Then that takes me within a sniff of my year target of 8000 miles, fingers crossed I'll nail all three before my op.

PS. CJCP scalp makes a handy sponge for mopping up turbo sweat :lol:
    @CJCP is your head feeling the breeze bud? :twisted:
  • rolf_f
    Naaah 20. 18 is too narrow a margin for error!

The 1k is definitely worth going for. I'm up for 1100 for November; clicked over 1k this afternoon. 1100 should be difficult to miss; I'll need less than 40 for Monday and Tuesday and I reckon I'll probably do 50 to 60.
  • itboffin
    I so booking a sports massage for 1st dec. the minute I stop this madness my body is going to explode, my thighs are so tight you could bounce coins of them.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waiting on a second Marathon WInter. No-one has them here so I ordered one from Germany. Cheaper there than from the UK anyway :lol:

ITB - I see you only need another 20 miles. 30 for me. Should be OK as long as the weather is reasonably sensible. Want to take out the touring bike tomorrow rather than the MTB.........
    I thought you were referring to the weather there :wink:
  • itboffin
    The temp risen here to a toasty 1c i'm just waiting for the dark then i'm off lights a blazing tyres knobbly and wide 8)

Edit: well done Rolf F, it's been a hard challenge given the conditions, same next week? :roll: