Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    I do but just not on the stats page, I like several others use www.dailymile.com

It's all there, distance, speed, HR, maps, weather conditions and kit used.

OCD heaven ;-)

true, and you only have to delve as deep as you want... Maybe Mike being chased by the bear is too deep
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    itboffin wrote:
    I do but just not on the stats page, I like several others use www.dailymile.com

OCD heaven ;-)

who else from BR is on daily mile? it's tough to figure out as it uses real names.
    Hat + Beard
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I just signed up but it seems a little serious for a low miller like me.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    suzyb wrote:
    I just signed up but it seems a little serious for a low miller like me.

I'm 99.9% certain you do more miles than me :lol: I originally signed up to track my running.
    Hat + Beard
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    hatbeard wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

OCD heaven ;-)

who else from BR is on daily mile? it's tough to figure out as it uses real names.

check the pictures from mine that will give you a few.Some people signed up but are too lazy.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

OCD heaven ;-)

check the pictures from mine that will give you a few.Some people signed up but are too lazy.
    Don't know who you mean. I'll batch my updates at some point ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

OCD heaven ;-)

Don't know who you mean. I'll batch my updates at some point ;)

Yeh yeh heard it all before, promises promises
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    will3 wrote:
    Having said all that I'm now putting all the extra milage to one side to concentrate on other non cycling related stuff, so Rolf, you put the hammer down and you might catch me! :wink:

Yes, a mere 333 miles this month so far is really doing a good job of putting the extra mileage to one side! You are such a tease :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Putting in extra mileage for me means doing hill reps. This is not fun. I'm slowly falling apart. How in God's name are you guys rattling out 10,000 miles? Respect.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Putting in extra mileage for me means doing hill reps. This is not fun. I'm slowly falling apart. How in God's name are you guys rattling out 10,000 miles? Respect.

+1

:?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    I am slowly dying! I'll be totting up my average monthly speeds and I expect them to be dropping noticeably in the last quarter - it's a tough route; I've climbed well over half a million feet so far. I'm being scalped left right and centre and I don't think I was before. I think the muscle strength is still there but the engine is starting to flag. I think I'll need to start eating a second lunch in the afternoon. I need 1000 miles this month (might have to start doing lunchtime runs up and down Kirkstall Road) - then I might have enough in the bag to start winding down in December.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Just creeping along these days - I've calculated I'll drop to around 17th by the end of the year... :(
    Still breathing.....
  • itboffin
    I've started eating breakfast and two lunches everyday, my weight is static at the moment and my energy levels are just about coping, this is not sustainable for me for any length of time.
  • rolf_f
    I have a cereal before I set off. When I get in to work I have a Kitkat before going out for porridge. Then I have lunch - a baguette sandwich or huge Pasty from the West Cornwall pasty shop along with a decent sized cake. A few more bits of chocolate keep me going til home time (though, as I said, a second lunch is probably needed - maybe pork pie based). When I get home I might have a few rounds of toast. Later tea will be, for example, a pork chop, a huge pile of rice or half a dozen spuds and a pile of veg. I'll then spend most of the rest of the evening eating fruit and yoghurts.

I weigh 9 and a half stone :lol:
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have a cereal before I set off. When I get in to work I have a Kitkat before going out for porridge. Then I have lunch - a baguette sandwich or huge Pasty from the West Cornwall pasty shop along with a decent sized cake. A few more bits of chocolate keep me going til home time (though, as I said, a second lunch is probably needed - maybe pork pie based). When I get home I might have a few rounds of toast. Later tea will be, for example, a pork chop, a huge pile of rice or half a dozen spuds and a pile of veg. I'll then spend most of the rest of the evening eating fruit and yoghurts.

Jeez dude that's a pretty awful diet, I'm very jealous :wink:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:

I hate you.

In much the same way as I hate the guy at work who eats like that but is still one of the skinniest guys in the office. A pre-lunch lunch is what he calls the first of his two middle of the day meals.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    cjcp wrote:

I don't do silly things like hill reps. Instead I just go for nice long rides round the countryside. That said I still haven't done my "three peaks" ride (which takes in the highest points in Cambridgeshire, Essex and Suffolk). That;s starting to look like one for next year.
    Rolf F wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Having said all that I'm now putting all the extra milage to one side to concentrate on other non cycling related stuff, so Rolf, you put the hammer down and you might catch me! :wink:

Yes, a mere 333 miles this month so far is really doing a good job of putting the extra mileage to one side! You are such a tease :lol:

Yeah, well this month I haven't gone "off piste" on my commute once. And I've been walking to the shops at lunchtime and , get this, yesterday I took the car
  • rolf_f
    will3 wrote:
    I don't do silly things like hill reps. Instead I just go for nice long rides round the countryside. That said I still haven't done my "three peaks" ride (which takes in the highest points in Cambridgeshire, Essex and Suffolk). That;s starting to look like one for next year.
    [/size]

Crikey - that ride must take the overall climb into triple figures! Where are the 3 highest points as a matter of nerdy interest?
  • will3
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I hate you.

In much the same way as I hate the guy at work who eats like that but is still one of the skinniest guys in the office. A pre-lunch lunch is what he calls the first of his two middle of the day meals.
    MEh I eat like that and weigh 15 stone (but down from 18 stone 2 years ago :D )
    But then I'm 6'2" to make up for it.
  • will3
    Rolf F wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    [/size]

Crikey - that ride must take the overall climb into triple figures! Where are the 3 highest points as a matter of nerdy interest?

Cambs@ Great Chrishill 480 ft
    Essex @ Chrishall Common nr Langley 482ft
    Suffolk @ Great wood hill (Chedburgh Aifield) 420ft

All quite doable in one ride

FWIW the area around Great Chrishill is actuall fairly up and down and there's a lovely long "descent" from Gt Chrishill to Wendens Ambo.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    day off work today (got to use the holiday or lose it), so time to dust the CX off and add some miles!
  • rolf_f
    will3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    [/size]

Cambs@ Great Chrishill 480 ft
    Essex @ Chrishall Common nr Langley 482ft
    Suffolk @ Great wood hill (Chedburgh Aifield) 420ft

All quite doable in one ride

FWIW the area around Great Chrishill is actuall fairly up and down and there's a lovely long "descent" from Gt Chrishill to Wendens Ambo.

I come from Harlow originally so I know it can get hilly around the Essex Suffolk border - very attractive too!
  • cjcp
    will3 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

That's the problem with the urban commute; I can't really just ride around the houses - bores me senseless; and can't always bring myself to pootle - I have to be tired - so have to spice it up a little. Each rep involves a loop of around a mile.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mileage has been pretty poor recently : been incredibly busy in work (all good) and I had a nasty "off" a week or so ago that I just don't seem to be recovering from.

Came into work on a wet morning through the lanes around Heddington and as I came round a sharp corner I found myself confronted with about 40 yards of thick mud and slurry all over the road. it was about half an inch deep with a film of rain on top and was like an ice rink.

I knew if I tried to brake I'd be off straight away so tried to relax and coast through it. Got about 10 yards from the end of it where there is a severe camber and the inevitable happened and the back wheel disappeared beneath me and I hit the deck pretty hard.

Picked myself up, cleaned the worst of the crap off the bike, carried it out of the rest of the mud and rode the last 15 miles into the office. By the time I got there though the adrenaline had worn off and my right arm and hip were stinging like a b*tch and I had a blinder of a headache.

Anyway, got sent off to A&E by the guys in the office and had to have 4 stitches in a gash in my elbow and a tetanus shot because of the slurry I'd fallen onto. I know that the farmers round us can't avoid getting their crap on the road but when they do they should make some effort either to warn people or make and effort to clean it up.

I suppose it was partly my fault for not anticipating that the lanes would be so dirty and maybe I should have taken the main road but I don't really see why I should be forced out onto busier roads. Anyway my arm is still aching and apart from a couple of longer rides I've been taking it easier for a bit!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • will3
    Hope you heal soon. Unfortunately this is one downside to those beautiful lanes we get to cycle through all summer.
  • cjcp
    Ouch. Yep, heal up fast. So far as recovering form is concerned, take the rest of the year off. You've earned it. :)

Seriously though, take it easy and your form will come back.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Jeez RM glad your okay, I can totally sympathise. I've switch to the CX now for much the same reason, the lanes are now impassable with mud/muck and windfall.

Get well soon and take it easy for a bit.
  • Cheers guys : I think the tri-cross will be making a re-appearance soon ITB as will the wretched turbo.

SWMBO has suggested a winter training camp bless her :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • I know that the farmers round us can't avoid getting their crap on the road but when they do they should make some effort either to warn people or make and effort to clean it up.

I suppose it was partly my fault for not anticipating that the lanes would be so dirty and maybe I should have taken the main road but I don't really see why I should be forced out onto busier roads.

+1

I've ranted about the mess farmers make of the roads a couple of times. Obviously the mess is sometimes inevitable, but just leaving it is a poor show, in my opinion. Fortunately it's been a bit drier round my way recently, so the worst of the mud has dried up for now and I have been able to go back on the back lanes.

Sounds like a nasty incident. Hope you're all recovered soon.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • itboffin
    Cheers guys : I think the tri-cross will be making a re-appearance soon ITB as will the wretched turbo.

SWMBO has suggested a winter training camp bless her :)

Talking of making a reappearance I seem to remember seeing you last year when I was hobbling home after foolishly attempting to ride with a torn ITB, I'm pretty sure I saw you again recently or at least the same person as last year, having you been riding in itboffin territory again recently? :twisted:

I've also noticed that both the Newbury RC & C. Wheelers seem to pass through Marlborough & Bedwyn a fare bit to.