Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    50 miles this morning which saw me through the 7000 barrier. I checked back a few months and was surprised to see it was my longest ride since July. It really has tailed off for me ever since my motivational riding buddy crashed out. There aren't too many others around willing to set off 6am on weekends! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Andy, I'm exactly like you, far too competitive to look at that stats as just a record. I had to keep banging the miles in :roll: I've only really been racing this season, crits mainly, and it wasn't until I started doing a bit more high intensity work that I got on the pace.

If you want to race seriously a club would be great, there'll be a whole wealth of knowledge you can tap into and loads of people to train and race with. Good luck for next season
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • My milage has been boosted by further exploring the woods around Esher, though most of the folks I've overtaken have either stopped recording or record erratically. I'm really not going to go the long way with a 50lb hack on the commute but I'll pop over to the woods as they are a hoot, though rather mild, but should soften up nicely once the rain comes!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rich158 wrote:
    Andy, I'm exactly like you, far too competitive to look at that stats as just a record. I had to keep banging the miles in :roll: I've only really been racing this season, crits mainly, and it wasn't until I started doing a bit more high intensity work that I got on the pace.

If you want to race seriously a club would be great, there'll be a whole wealth of knowledge you can tap into and loads of people to train and race with. Good luck for next season

Shame I beat you hands down in this weeks miles :twisted:

Still time to pop out and do another 25 miles :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Shame I beat you hands down in this weeks miles :twisted:

Still time to pop out and do another 25 miles :lol:

I'm immue to your taunts now old man :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    anyone else notice TRM has been knocked off the top spot?
  • I did briefly register that before scrolling down, down, down and then down some more to log the miles that took me up to 123rd. :D
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rich158 wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    Although think I may look into racing properly so dont want to get sidetracked with the stats table lol

Take it from me dude, training for racing and the stats table don't mix dude. If you've a competitive bone in your body the stats table is just too much temptation to keep knocking out the low intensity miles. And there'll always be a little devil known as ITB sat on your shoulder egging you on :roll:

Why just not knock out high intensity high mileage? Simples! :mrgreen:

8,000 miles is looking very doubtful unless I knock out a few weekend rides and lengthen my commute in both directions i.e. ride myself into the ground.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gbsahne wrote:
    anyone else notice TRM has been knocked off the top spot?

Yup. That's rarified air. There's some seriously daft mileage going on there. Chapeau, chaps.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Will be happy with 6,500 this year and then hopefull add another 10% next year, but that will be my limit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    As predicted, my mileage has gone through the floor since the marmotte. May make 6k for the year but i'll have to do some weekend mileage....
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    All this too much for you lot then?

This year's targets were as follows:

Standard route commute in 1 hour (either direction) : Completeted on 24th August (58 minutes 36 seconds)
    100 miles on a full working day: Completed 24th (102.7) and 28th (101.9) of June
    1000 miles in a month: Completed March (1246.9) April (1129.6) May (1006.4) June (1509.6) August (1045.6) September (1023.5) and looking good for October also.
    10000 miles in 10 months : On target

The last one is being cut very fine :cry:
    Next year? we'll see, I might have a different challenge, for example, print out a map of my area and try and ride every road on it at some point.

BTW congrats to TRM and airwave for busting through 10,000 so soon!
  • Cheers Will

My objectives this year :
    1. Complete an average of 1000 per month : (so far so good)
    2. Complete a 100+ mile sportive event : done 4 : Dragon, Gt Western, Wessex 100, Severn Bridge.
    3. Do a sub 5hr 30min 100 miler : 5:19 during the Gt Western
    4. Learn group riding skills : thank you Chippenham Wheelers :
    5. Do a multi-stage ride : Lands End to London 2 weeks ago :

Next year : fewer miles but faster so:
    1. Sub 25 min 10 mile TT
    2. Sub 1hr 15min 25 mile TT
    3. LEJoG
    4. Overseas sportive
    5. Min 5 x 100+mile sportives

That ought to keep me occupied .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • jonginge
    TRM, I think those first two objectives will be a breeze for you. Good luck, though
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Will, TRM, well done. Hard work, but it's clearly paying off!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Cheers chaps :

Oh and how could I forget : I did the long course Tour of Britain Pro Ride as well .....

:roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    miles have dropped due to moving into my house, however the shopping runs should keep me ticking over until next year. Be happy if i can get back in to the 60's but unlikely.
  • gbsahne001
    I think my only target was to get to work and back in one piece, which by and large has been achieved
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    As predicted, my mileage has gone through the floor since the marmotte. May make 6k for the year but i'll have to do some actual mileage....

ftfy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    As predicted, my mileage has gone through the floor since the marmotte. May make 6k for the year but i'll have to do some actual mileage....

ftfy
    FPWM
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    will3 wrote:

In a word, yes :)

not physically but if your in a relationship and are cycling 40-50 hours a week, working 40 hours a week then go figure when you have time to spend with each other.

Yes I added it mainly onto commute, but meant any free time i was on the bike. Also I have a medical condition which effects my muscles so some days i would get back and just be a mess, not have any energy for anything else :)

I should hit 8000 for the year which ill be happy with but not pushing myself

chapeau to all those still churning out the miles, VERY impressive
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I did'nt have any particular targets this year.Just to do decent times(for me)in our club's TTs.So i had to keep a lid on the amount of miles i was doing during the racing season.This i find very very hard as i just love riding my bike.So when the season ends i tend to go nuts even when i'm tired after work.But i do recover pretty quickly.I'm also doing the Metric Century Challege on this forum so even more motivation as if i needed it.
    I'm lucky that a large%of my free time i'm able to spend on the bike if i want.I expect a lot of you guys have a lot more pressure on you free time&if you did'nt it would be very little milage seperating the top ten. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    andy83 wrote:
    not physically but if your in a relationship and are cycling 40-50 hours a week, working 40 hours a week then go figure when you have time to spend with each other.

Holy crap - how slow are you? :lol:

I've been doing similar miles to you but, counting hours pedalling rather than door to door, I reckon I've been doing only about 22 hours a week. 40 hours at 15 mph is 600 miles a week!!!

Anyway, I miss chasing you. I had hoped your stagnation was just down to a devious end of month mega mileage post and you'd still be in the game! I'm pretty much on my own now. I think I can hang on to fifth. Fourth is out of reach. The real target is 10,000 (originally 4000 at the start of the year!) before the Christmas Market closes on December 19th (promised colleagues a round of over priced German wheat beer in the brilliant Leeds Christmas Market beer tent the day I made 10,000) - am a bit concerned about that one - a weeks work plus holiday in Barcelona plus a long weekend is killing my October total but if I can get close to 8500 by the end of the month I'm in with a chance. As for you - I think you'll have to start getting back to the big miles if you want to keep that top 10 place......

I don't think I'll be on the table next year :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well done all and I should just point out that whilst I started the thread the idea was CJCP - yes dude YOU are to blame for all these broken relationships and lost hours.

Now then my target for the year was simple, 8000 miles but having spent 3 weeks in Auz in Feb. and injuring myself in July that target is going to be hard to hit, i'm not giving up I'm fully on the case even with a shoulder that dislocates itself whilst typing or sitting in a chair :? :cry:

Anywhoooooo I'll just keep on taking those MTFU pills and get on with it, oh and I do 60+ hours a week commuting x 4 (6 hours) and work (7-8 hours x 5) then all the weekend rides and sportives/socials I can fit in :?

Jeez i'm tired
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

That's why I don't do a lot of miles. Average of 12 -13mph means longer rides take ages :(
  • andy83
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

I've been doing similar miles to you but, counting hours pedalling rather than door to door, I reckon I've been doing only about 22 hours a week. 40 hours at 15 mph is 600 miles a week!!!

Anyway, I miss chasing you. I had hoped your stagnation was just down to a devious end of month mega mileage post and you'd still be in the game! I'm pretty much on my own now. I think I can hang on to fifth. Fourth is out of reach. The real target is 10,000 (originally 4000 at the start of the year!) before the Christmas Market closes on December 19th (promised colleagues a round of over priced German wheat beer in the brilliant Leeds Christmas Market beer tent the day I made 10,000) - am a bit concerned about that one - a weeks work plus holiday in Barcelona plus a long weekend is killing my October total but if I can get close to 8500 by the end of the month I'm in with a chance. As for you - I think you'll have to start getting back to the big miles if you want to keep that top 10 place......

I don't think I'll be on the table next year :lol:

think i made a slight miscalculation :) more like 20 - 25 hours a week actuall cycling time, but add on to that the getting changed, going out on long rides and stopping at cafes etc lol. Id also ride for over an hour to a friends / family, and stay there for a few hours, so when i look at "cycing related" time its prob right.

Its ironic cos since I stopped doing as much mileage I have cut up a bit more and seem to have got fitter but am going to the gym.

I think I will be getting a few more miles in over the next month or so, for one reason or another since mid august I have only had my fixed gear in full working order, but have road bike back now which ill be getting some decent mileage on. Also going to try fit in a few century rides on nice crisp autumn days if i get chance, also want to do london to brighton again before the end of the year

Fair play to you for keeping up with the miles. I think you can get to 10k dependant on the weather holding out and not getting stupidly icy too early
  • andy83
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

That's why I don't do a lot of miles. Average of 12 -13mph means longer rides take ages :(

I calculated wrong, I aint that slow lol
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    andy83 wrote:
    Fair play to you for keeping up with the miles. I think you can get to 10k dependant on the weather holding out and not getting stupidly icy too early

I'll be off to Spa Cycles this weekend hopefully to get some Schwalbe Ice tyres for the MTB :twisted:

I will get to 10,000 even if I have to cycle on Christmas day and boxing day! The tough one will be making it by the 19th.

Suzyb - you just need to pedal harder :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    Rolf F wrote:
    I will get to 10,000 even if I have to cycle on Christmas day and boxing day!

2 - 3 weeks away for me; not sure if I'll get to 11k though, as I'll be off the bike from 19/12 until beginning of Jan
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    edited October 2010
    andy83 wrote:
    will3 wrote:

In a word, yes :)

I think I have that one licked:

a) Encourage your dearest to engage in some evening activities ie a club or whatever she does. This means she won't notice that you don't get back till 8

b) Find a significant other who also enjoys cycling; get a tandem.

c) Live a long way from work.