Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    My target was 5000 miles but I can't see me getting there - realistically I'm at the last chance saloon and need to MTFU and get the miles in!

I'll give myself a good talking to later on.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stick at it, Benno. Hopefully we get around 30 miles in next Sunday morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:

Ye cool, Ajax Hill Climb comp tomorrow so doubt I'll get many miles in with that. From the Castell Coch entrance to the Golf Club, nearly chucked my lungs up when I gave it a go last week.

I'll need 2 x 550 mile months to sneak it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Ye cool, Ajax Hill Climb comp tomorrow so doubt I'll get many miles in with that. From the Castell Coch entrance to the Golf Club, nearly chucked my lungs up when I gave it a go last week.

I'll need 2 x 550 mile months to sneak it.

You might get a few miles in: ride out there along the Taff Trail, it'll be a good warm up for your legs.

Then ride home once you've chucked your lungs up. :D That should give you, what, 25 miles if you take a longer route home?

EDIT: Oh yeah, good luck! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Just worked out by cycling every weekday until the end of the year at my basic commute I'll overshoot my target by 140 miles...

I think I'll still extend the journeys in (when it's not raining) and just see how it goes on the way home, that gives me leeway for christmas etc :lol:

/easystreet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looks like I'll top 3.5k this year, after doing 1.5k last year and a big dose of MTFU.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cjcp
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Just worked out by cycling every weekday until the end of the year at my basic commute I'll overshoot my target by 140 miles...

I think I'll still extend the journeys in (when it's not raining) and just see how it goes on the way home, that gives me leeway for christmas etc :lol:

/easystreet

By contrast, I've just worked out that at normal commuting distance, I'll reach 7,778 due to business trips and holiday. If I bust a hump, with no weekend rides, I'll have 7,958-ish.

The problem is the lack of weekends available to do a weekend ride.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm going to reach about 6,750 by the end of the year if everything goes according to plan, which is infruatingly short of the 7000 I wanted. Still, it's a good benchmark to trounce next year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

/easystreet

By contrast, I've just worked out that at normal commuting distance, I'll reach 7,778 due to business trips and holiday. If I bust a hump, with no weekend rides, I'll have 7,958-ish.

The problem is the lack of weekends available to do a weekend ride.

get up earlier.. you can do it at the weekends.. do it during the week... would be a shame to fall short again wouldn't it?

Easy to say as it's not me :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm going to reach about 6,750 by the end of the year if everything goes according to plan, which is infruatingly short of the 7000 I wanted. Still, it's a good benchmark to trounce next year.
    cjcp wrote:

You both need to find barely another mile a day!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Trickier than it seems because I already need to average over 40 miles a day to get to the point where I need another mile.

EDIT: and my usual, unextended commute is 31 miles a day.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    cjcp wrote:
    Trickier than it seems because I already need to average over 40 miles a day to get to the point where I need another mile.

Should be able to find a small diversion in your commute that adds half a mile each way.

I still have 1300 miles to go - ideally about 1600 - tough in this weather......
  • cjcp
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Should be able to find a small diversion in your commute that adds half a mile each way on top of the additional 10+ miles a day I already need to do to get to that extra half-mile diversion.

...tough in this weather......

FTFY :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    whiney whiney whine

MTFU

It would be a ballache to start over again next year floggingyourself only to fail one more time :wink:

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    cjcp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Should be able to find a small diversion in your commute that adds half a mile each way on top of the additional 10+ miles a day I already need to do to get to that extra half-mile diversion.

...tough in this weather......

FTFY :lol:

As long as you appreciate that everyone will think you a big girls non-MTFUing blouse for not even making a piffling 8000 miles this year...........

Have you anything booked for Dec 25th and 26th?

PS - my basic commute is 13 miles round trip. Minimum needs to be 30+. Maximum at this time of year is about 50. Christmas can't come too soon.......
  • rolf_f
    Clever Pun wrote:
    It would be a ballache to start over again next year floggingyourself only to fail one more time :wink:

The target for me is 10,000 miles in 2010. If I don't make it this year, it will have to be 11,000 miles in 2011 :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

The target for me is 10,000 miles in 2010. If I don't make it this year, it will have to be 11,000 miles in 2011 :lol:
    oooh there's an idea.

1000 miles in 2010 so 1100 in 2011

:D
  • rolf_f
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

oooh there's an idea.

1000 miles in 2010 so 1100 in 2011

:D

You missed a zero off but never mind. Congratulations to Suzyb for commiting, in public, on this forum, to ride eleven thousand miles next year. It'll be a tough challenge but everyone will respect you for it and give lots of good advice. I think a round of community applause is in order. :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rolf F wrote:
    You missed a zero off but never mind. Congratulations to Suzyb for commiting, in public, on this forum, to ride eleven thousand miles next year. It'll be a tough challenge but everyone will respect you for it and give lots of good advice. I think a round of community applause is in order. :D
    No I didn't. There are as many zeros there as I think I can definatley manage in a year. Just followed your idea of starting the amount with the year end.

I really don't know how you guys do so many miles with full time jobs + families.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeh the family is really getting in the way :roll:

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

For next year, but for this year I need to find about 10 miles a day!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

blah blah blah stop moaning and ....

MTFU

:P
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No I didn't. There are as many zeros there as I think I can definatley manage in a year. Just followed your idea of starting the amount with the year end.

No, no, no, nooooo! No backing out now. You've commited yourself and we love you for it. What's your plan for January? Really you need to try to make 200 per week but the snow does tend to muck January up. I'd say just aim for 500 for the month and build up from there :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

blah blah blah stop moaning and ....

MTFU

:P

+1 I've been adding this sort of milage all year.

If only you had some way of working out how much you need to add so that you don't end up having to do the extra in the pissin g gale as per last night. I wonder...........

Still I was thinking of you as I rode my short commute last night, sure wouldn't have wanted to be out in that for longer than necessary. :wink:
  • itboffin
    Tapped out another 2.5 miles this morning, I had the time and the weather was perfect!

Honest

:roll:
  • itboffin
    Tapped out another 2.5 miles this morning, I had the time and the weather was perfect!

Honest

• I guess i'll hit 2000 by end of year, since almost all was done on a 50lb hack on the commute i'm happy with that. I expected to be closer to a 1000 mark but I changed where i work.
  • itboffin wrote:

Honest

So update your effing miles and less of this block entering of rides!
    :evil:
  • itboffin
    I do but just not on the stats page, I like several others use www.dailymile.com

It's all there, distance, speed, HR, maps, weather conditions and kit used.

OCD heaven ;-)
  • itboffin wrote:
    I do but just not on the stats page, I like several others use www.dailymile.com

It's all there, distance, speed, HR, maps, weather conditions and kit used.

OCD heaven ;-)

Heaven!

Now I can see what I need to get done.
    I havent passed anyone since my sprog was born!