Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Wasn't sure if I could write this : oh well : this has been a completely crap week :

My Mum died last Tuesday after a long battle with Alzheimers, followed on Weds by a very close friend in the music industry. Shattering.

I've been riding to try and work it all through in my head but it's crap and that's all there is to it really. It is what it is.

To put the tin hat on it I had a pretty spectacular "off" on Sunday after about 50 miles, when I hit a patch of wet gravel on a fast corner and snapped my bars in the process. Bruised and battered physically and emotionally : oh and I've got a f*cking cold.

The brightest spot has been that I picked up my brother at Heathrow yesterday who flew back from his home in Australia : hadn't seen him for nearly 10 years .... that was nice for all the wrong reasons.

Oh hell... sorry to hear that
    My condolences.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Do I have to add my miles daily or can I add them as a whole at the end of the week?

This week will be 120miles or 30 miles a day (give or take a 0.something)

It's generally better to add more regularly as it makes the week to date column work properly.
    Also to within the nearest 0.1 mile is best.

do you only work 4 days a week?

Not this week.

But more importantly:
    Wasn't sure if I could write this : oh well : this has been a completely crap week :

Sorry to hear that.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The brightest spot has been that I picked up my brother at Heathrow yesterday who flew back from his home in Australia : hadn't seen him for nearly 10 years .... that was nice for all the wrong reasons.

Take your brother for a pint(s)

Talk, cry, laugh then cry some more.

It'll help.

I lost my dad in April, nothing aided the healing process better than a traditional Irish Wake, the company of my brothers and a bit too much Guinesss.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cheers all : I'm getting to the age where people start to drop off the back of the group and the elastic breaks.

100 miler on Sunday which will help !!

:roll: :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Sorry about that week of woes RunningMan. Many rivers to cross.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Completed my slightly delayed second leg of Coast to Coast today. Started on Sunday in Morecambe and covered the 68 miles in 4:42. Then it tipped it down on Monday and Tuesday so I binned Leeds to Scarborough and did that today.

For once, the God of Headwinds favoured me and went off to annoy someone else. I managed the 104 miles in 6:00.36. My first sub 6 hour 100 (actually 5:44:41 for the hundred). Average speed of 17.3 mph for 100 miles with 3078 feet of climb. Looking good for 10,000 miles for the year. 10,000km already done and dusted.....
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Do I have to add my miles daily or can I add them as a whole at the end of the week?

This week will be 120miles or 30 miles a day (give or take a 0.something)

Since you are doing decent weekly miles (probably top 20), but obviously won't reflect that in the total, you can also sort the SCStats columns by clicking on the header - that tells you eg your relative performance for the week or month. That might help motivate any additional miles you might be able to manage.

(not that it does me or anything :oops: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:

Manly sort of 'sorry to hear that'. Hope you can come to terms with it all.

Jezzzooo Running Man, sorry to hear that. Hope the next few weeks get easier.

Plus one more TRM............
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    sorry to hear that running man

I know we cycle to clear our heads but do be careful as when we have things on our mind we tend to not concentrate as much. I had an off in similar circumstances

hope things pick up
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    878 for the month so far, and still not made it above 30!! January and July have really cost me. However, happy that I am well on the road for 1,000 for the month. Still hoping for 6k for the year, and to get up to about mid 20's position.

Bank holiday weekend to get the kilomiles.

Enjoy the weekend...... 8)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    second that; bh to push me over the 8k for the year to date.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ironically I may be starting work the bank holiday weekend :roll:

However I may still be able to get over 150 for the month. Just one more "commute" :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Will hit 4000 for the year on tuesday. these bank holidays really knock my milage, dammit :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:

However I may still be able to get over 150 for the month. Just one more "commute" :D

And Monday night - if you come along!! Just hope that I have cracked the 1,000 by then or it may be a "longer" MTB run!!

(Only joking, it will be slow paced, enjoyable, run)
  • andy83
    ill struggle to hit 600 miles for the month which is quite poor considering my previous months efforts, BUT im getting my wheels finally replaced next week so hoping to get a 1000 mile month again
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:

And Monday night - if you come along!! Just hope that I have cracked the 1,000 by then or it may be a "longer" MTB run!!

(Only joking, it will be slow paced, enjoyable, run)
    Your slow isn't necessarily my slow :wink:

You'll still have another day after Monday to crack the thou if you don't manage it before then.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    sorry to hear that, The Running Man. Exercise can clear hte head, but take care, as has been said before
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:

My Mum died last Tuesday after a long battle with Alzheimers, followed on Weds by a very close friend in the music industry. Shattering.

I've been riding to try and work it all through in my head but it's crap and that's all there is to it really. It is what it is.

To put the tin hat on it I had a pretty spectacular "off" on Sunday after about 50 miles, when I hit a patch of wet gravel on a fast corner and snapped my bars in the process. Bruised and battered physically and emotionally : oh and I've got a f*cking cold.

Oh hell... sorry to hear that
    My condolences.

+1 TRM.

Take it easy on the bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Well, two lovely days over the weekend, and I have finally done it. For the first time ever, have broken 1,000 miles in a month. Have only be keeping stats for last year or two, but I know that I am cycling more now than ever before.

Won't be going for that again in a hurry!! (or will I......) 8)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    TRM: Dreadful news, my condolences.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • andy83
    Well, two lovely days over the weekend, and I have finally done it. For the first time ever, have broken 1,000 miles in a month. Have only be keeping stats for last year or two, but I know that I am cycling more now than ever before.

Won't be going for that again in a hurry!! (or will I......) 8)

Oh you will

its like the pringles man, once you pop you cant stop

i have had a lot going on this month hence not really hiiting anywhere near my normal monthly mileage
  • suzyb
    Whoop 150 miles for the month :D

So going to try for 165 next month (+15%).
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:

If you are doing Pedal for Scotland, there is virtually 1/3 of your monthy mileage in 1 day!! Think you should target 200. Go on, go on, go on!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    suzyb wrote:

Drive 20 miles to work and ride the rest in prep for the PFS ride and you'll soon clock up 200+. As for my mileage this month I creep over 270 just.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • suzyb
    redvee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Drive 20 miles to work and ride the rest in prep for the PFS ride and you'll soon clock up 200+. As for my mileage this month I creep over 270 just.
    I'm tempted but that would take longer and I like my sleep.

I was thinking about taking the bike to work and going for a quick ride at lunchtime though.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    wife and daughter are back tomorrow :D, there go the miles; just commuting from hereonin. :cry:
  • ....and I'm back in game :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gert_lush wrote:
    ....and I'm back in game :D

Wondered where the heck you'd gone.

Where did you go?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ah well been a bit busy of late, and also just lost motivation to cycle a bit.

But this month I loaded up the panniers I did a 2 week tour from Esberj in Denmark, down the coast through Germany, the Netherlands, into Belgium following the North sea cycle route, Detour to Spa francochamps for the weekend to watch the Grand prix and then nail in back to Dunkerque :D Twas bloody windy and wet, we had insane headwinds the whole time, some days 11 hrs pedalling on the flat with a head wind, not fun. Oh and got caught in a thunderstorm and almost struck by lightening and struggled to cycle into the wind , but did manage to cycle 800 miles without hitting a hill!!! 1st one was in Belgium.
    In the end did about 1100 miles which was a bit much really, body is broken now, damn those Achilles.

Bike is insanely dirty and worn out, seems riding through muddy fields isn't good for the Galaxy, ah well sure some soap and oil will soon sort her out

And i'm back in the top 10 :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ran out of legs last night on the way home at 15 miles, suddenly there was nothing to push with and that was the one day that the pockets and drinks bottle were empty. Luckily the route home is festooned with blackberry bushes, so I was able to take some fuel on board to get home. Trouble is it takes a lot of blackberries to get past the empty legs stage. Nice though.

Worse - schools are back from next week, things have changed and I'm now limited to 2 days per week commuting on the bike. That's any hope of a top 40 place down the pan. Thanks LEA. Thanks a bunch. :(
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Had to take the day off today - waiting for a delivery, so decided to go on a bit of a bike ride:

This route

I started at chapel,and went down Mam Nick, to ladybower reservoir, (slightly off road along the Eastern edge) then back home via Winnats.

I think Winnats is better than Mam Nick, because it is shorter, even though it is steep.

Going down Winnats could be hard on brakes though...