Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Unlucky, Benno. Where did it happen? How long are you out of action?

EDIT: don't know how you guys in the top 10 continue to churn out that mileage. Great stuff.

Cheers CJ, on the A48 from Tredegar House heading towards Castleton.

Off to the UHW for a review on Wednesday to assess if it will heal itself or if I need an op so unsure how long yet - just hoping it's not too long!

Ye - it's crazy how much mileage people are doing - very impressive. I was happy clawing may way towrads the top 40.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    gbsahne wrote:
    you need to sign up to the stats page

http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/Default.aspx

DDD - you've signed up. About time too :)

You must have done a million miles this year tho - add them in to give (us) a realistic miles to date figure; if you don't know it you can do an estimate (as long as it's less than my 3048 minus your 163).

Go to the Add New page via your name / link on the front page and look for the bit that reads 'If your total miles are incorrect update them here:'
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    How does this thread work.

I've done 163miles so far.

you must of done a lot more miles than that. over this year?
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    First decent ride in over 3 weeks today and boy did I notice the extra weight and lack of riding!! However I was very pleased with the Cosmic Carbone wheels I am trialling with a view to buying. (Guy wants £350 for the the pair - they've done around 500 miles - is that good price?).
    Still breathing.....
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    hambones wrote:
    First decent ride in over 3 weeks today and boy did I notice the extra weight and lack of riding!! However I was very pleased with the Cosmic Carbone wheels I am trialling with a view to buying. (Guy wants £350 for the the pair - they've done around 500 miles - is that good price?).

Bite his hand off,very nice wheels at half price&hardly any use..no brainer!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

You must have done a million miles this year tho - add them in to give (us) a realistic miles to date figure; if you don't know it you can do an estimate (as long as it's less than my 3048 minus your 163).

Go to the Add New page via your name / link on the front page and look for the bit that reads 'If your total miles are incorrect update them here:'

I've split my commute between two bikes and only one of them has a cycle computer, which is reading 494miles. So I'll add that, even though I know I've done more

494 includes last weeks 188 (which is the 163miles last week plus a 25mile return journey home).

I'll have to accept that this year I'm not going to be overly competitive - my goal is to get into the top 100. then it's all about next year!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

I've split my commute between two bikes and only one of them has a cycle computer, which is reading 494miles. So I'll add that, even though I know I've done more

494 includes last weeks 188 (which is the 163miles last week plus a 25mile return journey home).

I'll have to accept that this year I'm not going to be overly competitive - my goal is to get into the top 100. then it's all about next year!

Think very carefully about commiting yourself next year, its an addiction and the SCS table can take over your life lol
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Yaya, finally managed my standard commute in sub 1 hour.
    58:36 go me! :D
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

top 100 would be fair going as at mo i'm around the 100 mark with 1361 miles, and folks will keep going, though i'd expect a few to start to tail off as the weather gets colder and wetter.

by even so getting to a 100 will be a fair task.
  • CiB
    edited August 2010
    will3 wrote:
    Yaya, finally managed my standard commute in sub 1 hour.
    58:36 go me! :D
    I didn't realise for the first couple of hundred yards that a quick one was on the cards last night so didn't give it the beans straight away. Wish I had - after a superb ride, including touching 40 out of Buckingham and keeping it in the high 20s in places where normally I'm seeing 20-21 mph, I screeched to a halt outside the front door stopping the clock on 1h 00m 02s for the 20.68 miles. Bugger.

Kudos to the bloke from round the corner who I blocked on the roundabout nearby, but who fully grasped the necessity when I rolled over to apologise & explain the reasoning to him. He was more concerned that he might have cost me the 3 seconds that I was looking for.
    8)
  • CiB
    by even so getting to a 100 will be a fair task.

It might be a bit easier soon - I'm lining up another purge to trim out those who signed up since [probably] March, but who haven't added any miles since [probably] June. They're just noise and don't add anything to the Stats board other than making the headline total miles figure slightly higher.

Anyone who reckons they might be caught in this purge and doesn't fancy being terminated, add a token half mile asap or you'll be out.
  • will3
    CiB wrote:
    I screeched to a halt outside the front door stopping the clock on 1h 00m 02s for the 20.68 miles. Bugger.

8)

Verily that sucketh.
  • CiB
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    I screeched to a halt outside the front door stopping the clock on 1h 00m 02s for the 20.68 miles. Bugger.

8)

Verily that sucketh.
    Nah - just proves that <1h is possible on the return journey. Need to wait for another suitable windy day then embark on it from the off, not after 400 yards.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:

8)

Verily that sucketh.
    Nah - just proves that <1h is possible on the return journey. Need to wait for another suitable windy day then embark on it from the off, not after 400 yards.

Yes, have always thought that for a recoed attempt you must go from the off. It it is not working by half way then chuck it. But it rarely works "going for it" after a slow start. Fantastic attempt though. It must surely be in your grasp!! However, the comedown will be when, feeling like a Roger Bannister, you tell your non cycling friends about "Beating the Hour" they shake their heads and start talking about Big Brother....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    You're right Wallace, but I didn't think I was that close, having had a few attempts at it when I've stumbled into the kitchen on the verge of unexpected death and checked the computer only to see 1h 3m or thereabouts.

I do keep thinking that a bit more effort up the long climb past the pub with the missing roof, or on the dull section with the poor surface, or the descent heading towards the last village, any of those might have given me the necessary seconds. Too late now.
  • will3
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:

8)

Verily that sucketh.

you missed it by 0.056%.

How accurate do you think your timing is?
  • will3
    Airwave: 1500?
  • DonDaddyD
    Do I have to add my miles daily or can I add them as a whole at the end of the week?

This week will be 120miles or 30 miles a day (give or take a 0.something)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    doesn't matter end of the week or keep people in suspense and add a months worth at the end of the month.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Do I have to add my miles daily or can I add them as a whole at the end of the week?

You should add them a regulary as convenient

You should however add them properly, by using the input screen CIB has set up instead of just changing your overall total.

Why not stick in a rough estimate of your YTD total?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wasn't sure if I could write this : oh well : this has been a completely crap week :

My Mum died last Tuesday after a long battle with Alzheimers, followed on Weds by a very close friend in the music industry. Shattering.

I've been riding to try and work it all through in my head but it's crap and that's all there is to it really. It is what it is.

To put the tin hat on it I had a pretty spectacular "off" on Sunday after about 50 miles, when I hit a patch of wet gravel on a fast corner and snapped my bars in the process. Bruised and battered physically and emotionally : oh and I've got a f*cking cold.

The brightest spot has been that I picked up my brother at Heathrow yesterday who flew back from his home in Australia : hadn't seen him for nearly 10 years .... that was nice for all the wrong reasons.

Sorry to hear about your accident Benno : our Cardiff ride will have to wait ... hope you recover quickly!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • CiB
    You can add them part way through the journey of you have the right gear. It's up to you, but you'll note that a lot of us add them after each commute, start & end of the day. The blue highlight boxes indicate 'updated today'.
  • CiB
    Wasn't sure if I could write this : oh well : this has been a completely crap week :

Manly sort of 'sorry to hear that'. Hope you can come to terms with it all.
  • DonDaddyD

Why not stick in a rough estimate of your YTD total?

How do you do that!?

I can see the addicition beginning, at the back of my mind I'm already toying with the idea of doing the full 44mile route to and from work just to up the stats...
    Food Chain number = 4

• CiB
    DDD. Click your name to link through to the update page. At the bottom of that page out of the way (by design) is a drop down that shows the total mileage for each year you've been on the Stats board - yours will just show 2010. In the input box next to this enter what you think is your total for the year and hit the adjacent update button. All susbequent miles will incrementally add to this figure; it doesn't need to be updated when you add a ride.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    CiB wrote:
    Wasn't sure if I could write this : oh well : this has been a completely crap week :

Manly sort of 'sorry to hear that'. Hope you can come to terms with it all.

Jezzzooo Running Man, sorry to hear that. Hope the next few weeks get easier.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    Got it! Thanks!
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

My Mum died last Tuesday after a long battle with Alzheimers, followed on Weds by a very close friend in the music industry. Shattering.

I've been riding to try and work it all through in my head but it's crap and that's all there is to it really. It is what it is.

To put the tin hat on it I had a pretty spectacular "off" on Sunday after about 50 miles, when I hit a patch of wet gravel on a fast corner and snapped my bars in the process. Bruised and battered physically and emotionally : oh and I've got a f*cking cold.

The brightest spot has been that I picked up my brother at Heathrow yesterday who flew back from his home in Australia : hadn't seen him for nearly 10 years .... that was nice for all the wrong reasons.

Sorry to hear about your accident Benno : our Cardiff ride will have to wait ... hope you recover quickly!!

Jeez dude very sorry to hear that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • will3
    TRM that's a lot of bad all at once. :cry:
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's generally better to add more regularly as it makes the week to date column work properly.
    Also to within the nearest 0.1 mile is best.

do you only work 4 days a week?