Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    That doesnt sound good at all

poor week for me, only managed 135 miles, but majority fixed apart from TT. Had problems with wheels and getting credit note on my account at shop to get some more so all good

SO i will hopefully be back to normal next week and looking for very good mileage

Got a few things planned this month so ill be glad to get 1000 miles for the month, However september and october are hopefully going to be monster months mileage wise :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bad luck with that ITB - when is it supposed to get better? Not that things get better when they are supposed to. My elbow still hurts on full extents after an off a good two months ago.

In the mean time, month ticking along nicely - 290 for the week. Just added 91 miles for the Phil Liggett (seems a nice bloke) challenge - new scenery for me bike wise and some new beast climbs conquered - Holme Moss (from East), Winnats and Monsal Head. Have to say Winnats is a bit of a toughy :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Rolf F wrote:
    Bad luck with that ITB - when is it supposed to get better? Not that things get better when they are supposed to. My elbow still hurts on full extents after an off a good two months ago.

In the mean time, month ticking along nicely - 290 for the week. Just added 91 miles for the Phil Liggett (seems a nice bloke) challenge - new scenery for me bike wise and some new beast climbs conquered - Holme Moss (from East), Winnats and Monsal Head. Have to say Winnats is a bit of a toughy :lol:

I thought about going out for a quick spin from Chapel and saying hello...

But had to do cleaning instead.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    about six weeks or so which sucks however I've been out again today, just nine painful miles but hey!

Still i'm off to the Alps in less than a month so it'll have to be better.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,164
    itboffin wrote:
    about six weeks or so which sucks however I've been out again today, just nine painful miles but hey!

Still i'm off to the Alps in less than a month so it'll have to be better.

Do you know anyone with a recumbent? Might be a way of getting in a few more miles with less pain, although I don't know how easy it is to learn a new riding position. Hope it heals up quickly.

Blimey Rolf F, that's triple points on the hill climbs (with 90-odd miles of other stuff thrown in). According to Simon Warren, Monsal rates a 3, Holme Moss a 5 and Winnats an 8, so that would fit with your experience.

And I was feeling pleased with myself for a couple of North Downs climbs + 30 miles. Chapeau, sir.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    Cheers rjterry! I'm not sure about where Monsal ranks on that route - there is a relatively unknown, sneaky little climb early on in the route which I reckon is a much tougher climb than Monsal Dale. Only about 8 miles in I'd guess so fresh legged but it is quite a haul with a really steep bit at the bottom and a pretty steep bit at the top. It's the climb out of Ewden beck before the descent to Langsett. Nasty corner over the stream as well.

Be interested to know if that one is in Simons book (which clearly I need to buy :lol: )
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm giving consideration to getting the full boris bike access and cycling to the gym at lunchtime... should add a mile a day :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    just cycle about all lunchtime, should get at least 10 miles in then!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Don't knock a mile a day at lunchtime. :o
  • Clever Pun
    salsajake wrote:
    just cycle about all lunchtime, should get at least 10 miles in then!

but the gym offers me different fitness options, I do go out occasionally for a ride round victoria park. but I've two classes(circuit training & MMA), 2 weight sessions and pub for me weekly lunchtime schedule
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • andy83
    Ok I never thought id say this but the last two weeks miles havent been important as ive been training properly and boy does it make a difference :) .

Ok so some other things have meant i havent been able to ride as much, wheels snapping spokes for fun on road bike, personal stuff and work commitments.

Ive also joined a gym as i want to improve fitness and cut up and already lost over 2 stone in 12 months cycling. Im having a whole month recovery on the bike but come september ill be back in the saddle clocking up good mileage hopefully. Realisticly now top 5 is a good finish for me.

Im hoping to get a few long rides in before september but not sure will get chance.

Also im riding fixed a lot more which surely should count double miles as its a lot harder and in a strange way im enjoying fixed more than my geared bike at the moment but i think thats because my nice shiny new wheels are in the shop and i have my old heavy bontrager wheels :(
  • So there I was : minding my own business pootling along on Sunday morning through the lanes up to Tetbury, not bothering anyone and I get 3 consecutive punctures in the space of 15 minutes. What did I do to deserve that!!

The first was inconvenient, the second aggravating and the third put paid to my planned 80 completely and I had to get a bloomin taxi home. I was spitting blood I was so cross .....

I managed to get out later in the afternoon to go and get some more tubes from Halfords (emergency use only) and turn that into a 40 miler but I had a most unsatisfactory weekend.

From where I am even a 1000 mile month looks a long way off ..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Clever Pun
    andy83 wrote:

Also im riding fixed a lot more which surely should count double miles as its a lot harder and in a strange way im enjoying fixed more than my geared bike at the moment but i think thats because my nice shiny new wheels are in the shop and i have my old heavy bontrager wheels :(

I wish, most of my miles are fixed. it's just really simple on the fixed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    From where I am even a 1000 mile month looks a long way off ..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

know what you mean, didn't get on the bike all weekend; went running instead and am paying for it now.
  • andy83
    I think were all paying for being very silly so far this year.

My body is thankful for the rest and reduction in miles this month, although busy month at work with more long shifts than normal so not many miles able to be rode with a 12.5 hour shift
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm amazed that you can ride the miles you do after a 12 hour shift; my miles are relatively easy after driving a desk but I recall (20 years ago) doing a 6mile ea way commute after 10 hours of welding, how hard it was.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    My sudden drop in miles this month may have been noted. Lost a fair bit of interest as a result of my riding buddy's bad accident (who else is going to turn up at 6am every weekend forcing me out!!??). I have also been on holiday since the 7th and although I took my bike away for the first week I could only muster 2 short early morning rides. :( I have, however, managed to put on 8 pounds!!!
    Still breathing.....
  • Clever Pun
    hambones wrote:
    My sudden drop in miles this month may have been noted. Lost a fair bit of interest as a result of my riding buddy's bad accident (who else is going to turn up at 6am every weekend forcing me out!!??). I have also been on holiday since the 7th and although I took my bike away for the first week I could only muster 2 short early morning rides. :( I have, however, managed to put on 8 pounds!!!

8 pounds??? you bathing in lard while eating butter or something?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    hambones wrote:

I certainly noticed it - I wasn't really expecting to catch you up!

In the mean time, clocked another thousand. 6000 in - the last 1000 took 23 days :lol:
    andy83 wrote:
    I think were all paying for being very silly so far this year.

I'm still doing OK - I'm always feeling on the verge of going over the edge but I just about hang in there and increase the mileage rate. Currently doing regular 300s a week or pretty close. Should keep that going til the end of September and then we see what happens when the weather starts getting crappier.......
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Dam you SCR Stats!! You have lured me in to attempt 1,000 miles in August....
    After yesterday morning's fastest ever commute in, i did my longest commute home - 45 miles, followed this morning by my longest commute in - 27 miles.

Off bike tonight and tomorrow morning, so need to make up some miles.... Can't wait for August to end!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    After yesterday morning's fastest ever commute in, i did my longest commute home - 45 miles, followed this morning by my longest commute in - 27 miles.

Off bike tonight and tomorrow morning, so need to make up some miles.... Can't wait for August to end!!

Just relax and be happy with your 700 for the month, there is nothing to be gained from doing 1000 miles.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Asprilla wrote:

Just relax and be happy with your 700 for the month, there is nothing to be gained from doing 1000 miles.......

But i am really lovin it!!!! 8) When August ends will probably want 1,200 in September!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Just when I started doing a bit better in the stats, I've blown it and will be out of action for a while.

My fitness has improved since I joined a club, feeling great yesterday in the chaingang, 25 miles at an average of 22mph (in the middle group) - I touched a wheel infront and took a tumble.

Now nursing a broken collar bone

:roll:

Iwas pleased with getting close to the top 40 but will no doubt drop like a stone.

Take care follks and please wear a helmet, mine certainly helped me avoid a head injury yesterday.

Just about to log my last few miles for a bit!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Unlucky, Benno. Where did it happen? How long are you out of action?

EDIT: don't know how you guys in the top 10 continue to churn out that mileage. Great stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    Unlucky, Benno. Where did it happen? How long are you out of action?

EDIT: don't know how you guys in the top 10 continue to churn out that mileage. Great stuff.

+1 you should rest up too CJ
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    double post

so erm yeah I started on the Bobikes to the gym
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • andy83
    not happy with mileage this month although a lot has been on the fg

few things planned next week also so not on the bike much, also think having to use my old wheels on road bike makes it less enjoyable, but will get new ones back from shop soon

ill prob be only hitting 700 miles total for the month, my worst month since feb :(

although am getting more exercise in by training at the gym

Hopefully get back on track next month and back in the 1000 mile month group
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    you lot still here...?

go home, we're closed :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    How does this thread work.

I've done 163miles so far.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game