Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I must admit I had been wondering when you were ever going to break through the 5,000 barrier!!! :)
    Still breathing.....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Hambones - you should be on your way out for your ride shortly, shouldn't you? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hambones
    cjcp wrote:
    @Hambones - you should be on your way out for your ride shortly, shouldn't you? :)

:D Good point CJ and I considered doing a gentle 10 miles or so but I ended up doing 120 yesterday and it's fair to say I could do with a bit of a rest!
    Still breathing.....
  • cjcp
    hambones wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:D Good point CJ and I considered doing a gentle 10 miles or so but I ended up doing 120 yesterday and it's fair to say I could do with a bit of a rest!

:shock:

I rode the deli on Saturday. That was 0.7 miles (there and back). Then I did 3.5 miles to the LBS. I was knackered yesterday. :)

I don't know how you guys keep this mileage up. My legs are goosed by the weekend. Chapeau.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    salsajake wrote:
    Finally back above average - you lot at the top aren't make it easy!

Ain't that the truth, and the gaps you have to overcome to get a place are ridiculous :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hambones wrote:
    I must admit I had been wondering when you were ever going to break through the 5,000 barrier!!! :)

Oooff! That's a bit harsh - I only cracked 4000 a month back; I'm doing my best :lol:
    salsajake wrote:
    Finally back above average - you lot at the top aren't make it easy!

Everybody is upping the average - whether they are above you or below you. If you can't put the miles in....... :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I was talking over dinner with SWMBO last night about energy management : she is interested in things like that ; or at least I tell myself she is .......

Anyway I left the office yesterday evening absolutely sure I was just going to have a quiet potter home. I'd done a hard 103 hilly miles on Sunday (over 1000mtrs of climbing) and I'd done another 21 into a stiff headwind in the morning and my legs were really sore.

No sooner had I got moving down London Road I found myself hammering along. Ok I thought I'll stick with it til the wheels come off which I was sure they inevitably would and THEN I'd potter home.

Just under an hour and a half and 27 miles later I pulled up at our house having sustained the effort all the way.

So : where did the energy and the effort come from? Is there a different part of brain that engages or something? I really don't understand why that happens?

:? :? :?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    So : where did the energy and the effort come from?

I think the clue is here:
    and I'd done another 21 into a stiff headwind in the morning
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well, this will be worst month for me since January. However, I am happy in the knowledge that my 38 miles on Easter Island will be the most enjoyable of this year, and maybe any other year. Just a pity 51 hours on a plane and days of travelling to and from airports including one unscheduled overnighter at an airport was included.

However, cycling round a corner and seeing the 15 giant Moai at Tongariki was simply awesome. I dare anyone to better that.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Well, this will be worst month for me since January. However, I am happy in the knowledge that my 38 miles on Easter Island will be the most enjoyable of this year, and maybe any other year. Just a pity 51 hours on a plane and days of travelling to and from airports including one unscheduled overnighter at an airport was included.

However, cycling round a corner and seeing the 15 giant Moai at Tongariki was simply awesome. I dare anyone to better that.

very cool - low on quantity but high on quality! was getting around by bike a good idea - did you hire them locally?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    salsajake wrote:

very cool - low on quantity but high on quality! was getting around by bike a good idea - did you hire them locally?

Hired locally. For here, not the best bikes, needed a little oil, chain cleaned, and tyres pumped up a little but absolutely fine for the remotest island in the world. There is no real hard stuff that I found. Just some vocanic ash red dirt roads leading round the island, and came back via the main tarred road, climbing to about 300mts (highest point on island is 500mtrs). Had huge grin on me all the way.... Perfect Eclipse the day before too. Bike was by far the best way to travel, see so much, and not big distances. Threw in a bit of biking in the Atacama desert a few days later in an area that had not seen rain in about.... let me see 100 years or so..... so coming from west of Scotland was perfect training... :)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • salsajake
    OK, who around the 60 mark has just banged in loads of miles (probably somewhere north of 300)? Yesterday I was 58th, with 270 miles to make up to 57th, now I am 59th, 250 miles below 58th.

Who is the perpetrator of this outrage
  • WesternWay
    salsajake wrote:
    OK, who around the 60 mark has just banged in loads of miles (probably somewhere north of 300)? Yesterday I was 58th, with 270 miles to make up to 57th, now I am 59th, 250 miles below 58th.

Who is the perpetrator of this outrage

I went from 54 to 55 in a similar fashion.

I simply don't understand why other people insist on posting mileage, it is really inconvenient
  • salsajake
    I don't mind the posting of miles, just not bulk postings of 100s of miles at once! So if whoever it was passed you too, they must have posted at least 350 miles at once. Then again, the gaps are much smaller around 55th than ahead of me, so you might have been passed by someone who was updating in normal fashion.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Sorry! Finished Lands End to John O'Groats on Sunday and posted miles yesterday, jumped from mid 70's to 47th.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • salsajake
    In that case you are forgiven - a mighty chapeau!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rather disappointed that i've failed to reach my july target by one week and a missing weekend, was planning another 1k

:cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • WesternWay
    pangolin wrote:
    Sorry! Finished Lands End to John O'Groats on Sunday and posted miles yesterday, jumped from mid 70's to 47th.

Fantastic :-) How was it?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Cheers salsajake.

WesternWay, it was really good thanks. Did it in 9 days which I was pretty happy with, but if I did it again I would take longer (preferably 2-3 weeks) so it wasn't such a rush and there would be time to look around etc.

Got rained on 2 days, Only 1 day with noticeable headwind, no punctures, no mechanicals, camped twice and stayed with friends twice, b&b's the rest.

Did it solo but rode with a couple of other guys on day 5 as they happened to be doing the same route.

Didn't really train other than commute to work (20 miles round trip) but found that after day 3 the muscles stop complaining. Cornwall and Devon were pretty painful. Last 2 or 3 days my achilles were hurting, probably because I had the gearing all wrong. Was using a double from a road bike on a loaded tourer, which meant I had to stand up for steep hills.

All in all though, great fun. If you haven't done it, do it. Don't rush it unless you have to because of lack of holiday etc.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cjcp
    Excellent! Do you have a link to your route, and what was your favourite pat?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • WesternWay
    pangolin wrote:
    Cheers salsajake.
    Didn't really train other than commute to work (20 miles round trip) but found that after day 3 the muscles stop complaining. Cornwall and Devon were pretty painful. Last 2 or 3 days my achilles were hurting, probably because I had the gearing all wrong. Was using a double from a road bike on a loaded tourer, which meant I had to stand up for steep hills.

All in all though, great fun. If you haven't done it, do it. Don't rush it unless you have to because of lack of holiday etc.

Wow, sounds fantastic.

You /must/ have done some more serious training though surely? I do a commute of a similar length to yours and frankly some days it is a bit difficult to get back on the bike :-)

I would love to do it one day and will keep in mind what you say about timing.

How many hours a day were you riding.

Excellent news on the lack of mechanicals.

George

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I must apologise for my piss-poor performance this month. 'tis what comes of "holidays" and "taking it easy" and "work".
  • hambones
    cjcp wrote:

+1

Planning on doing LEJOG next May with 2 others (so far!) and our current planned route is approx. 970 miles (8 days).
    Still breathing.....
  • WesternWay
    Well that was a good (for me) month.

700 miles and all is well

Could you all please stop riding for a bit though, I am going on holiday with my family and I don't want to be left even further behind.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:

Pat_Boone.jpg
    ?

47-esq-pat-buchanan-091409-lg-1404971.JPG
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    In other news look like I'm on for my highest month so far...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Clever Pun wrote:
    In other news look like I'm on for my highest month so far...

I shall report back tomorrow or on Sunday. If I'm still capable of typing by then. It has been a mileageliscious month.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Pat_Boone.jpg
    ?

47-esq-pat-buchanan-091409-lg-1404971.JPG

pat%20butcher.jpg

Obviously.

/Trying to think of a convoluted gag about setting a new PB.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    You're 'butchering' the opposition...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • salsajake
    there goes my appetite