Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Touch and go for 8,000 this year. Going to be very close again. How the heck are you guys at the top close to 7,000 already???? Chapeau, chaps.

yeah I know it's crackers...

I'm not getting near this thread next year, I'm just going to enjoy cycling for what it is and do it fast as I can rather than for as long as I'm willing.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • A Cleverpun :

I know exactly what you mean. In fairness the adaptation to the mileage means I'm now starting to feel like I could pretty much ride all day which increases my enjoyment and confidence BUT in real hard sprints my legs are definitely feeling less zippy. I guess the trade off for me, especially at my age, is between distance and speed.

From a young age I've felt "cursed" with a competitive nature, so in some ways it's all the more reason to avoid the stats league :)

but equally it's helped encourage me to attempt things I've not done before .... 100+ spotives for instance. I really look forward every day to riding in or home from work and can't wait to get out on a Sunday so at the moment I think the balance is about right.

It's certainly proving a lot kinder to my body than running which I wasn't anticipating. Just takes a lot bloomin longer to get the same satisfying exhaustion though :D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mental the lot of you :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Touch and go for 8,000 this year. Going to be very close again. How the heck are you guys at the top close to 7,000 already???? Chapeau, chaps.

yeah I know it's crackers...

I'm not getting near this thread next year, I'm just going to enjoy cycling for what it is and do it fast as I can rather than for as long as I'm willing.

This is how im feeling, but im not sure ill be able

im just annoyed i got so little miles in jan and feb :(

i should hit 6000 by the end of the month, looking for 9000 by the end of september, got two weeks off work in that time so who knows

@runningman

I cant actually do short rides now as my body just doesnt like it, i even feel worse if i dont ride. I done 100 miles less than normal last week due to 2 days off bike and im feeling a lot worse for it
  • @andy

I know exactly what you mean. When I was running I never felt as though I'd got properly into a run til I'd gone through 6 or 7 miles and it's getting to be the same on the bike.

I only feel like I'm into a ride once I'm through 35 or 40 miles : mind you that might be because it takes me that long to warm up these days :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    It's difficult balancing distance while trying to maintain top end speed.I usualy do one TT a week so i have to be careful not to over do the miles a couple of days before hand.Also trying to cram in some fast training miles during the week takes it's toll&being the wrong side of 40 does'nt help.But that's the trouble with an addiction :lol:

It takes me 20-30miles to realy get warmed up&comfortable&then the miles just fly by.
  • andy83
    I felt a lot better today riding near 50 miles than i did monday doing 20. im addicted mentally and physically with cycling, I warm up after about 35 miles aswell, i get into a rhythm then lol

got 60 ish ride planned friday but may be off bike saturday and know this will mess me up

My mate is desperate for me to do some TT with him, but im waiting to reach my target for chairty and said i will do it then, as done want too much time off the bike, this is why i need to ignore the stats table next year as there are days i go out for a ride when my body tells me i need a rest
  • itboffin
    @andy

I know exactly what you mean. When I was running I never felt as though I'd got properly into a run til I'd gone through 6 or 7 miles and it's getting to be the same on the bike.

I only feel like I'm into a ride once I'm through 35 or 40 miles : mind you that might be because it takes me that long to warm up these days :)

I know what you mean, I really get into the groove at about 45-50 miles and oddly after 100 I seem to get a good 2nd wind.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    andy83 wrote:

Same here - at the time I thought I was doing well but I'm getting close to three times my January mileage now! Infact, I won't be so far off Januarys mileage for this week :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Same here - at the time I thought I was doing well but I'm getting close to three times my January mileage now! Infact, I won't be so far off Januarys mileage for this week :lol:

Yeah I'd noticed you did 95 miles after work on a monday...chapeau
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Yeah I'd noticed you did 95 miles after work on a monday...chapeau

Nothing so impressive I'm afraid! I cycled over to visit a friend in Lincoln on Saturday and came back on Monday. Fairly hellish ride tbh. Nice tailwind to Goole on the way out but endless headwind to Lincoln through the misery that is N Lincs. Nearly bonked. Return, despite no tailwinds and rain was much less terrible! Best I've done after work is about 40.

Chapeau to people who cycle on the flat a lot - flat and constant headwinds is much harder for me than lots of hills!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,165
    Loving all the "I'm beginning to realise this SC Stats thing is getting out of hand" posts.
    Chapeau to people who cycle on the flat a lot - flat and constant headwinds is much harder for me than lots of hills!

What's that? So us southerners with no proper hills might not be such a bunch of jessies after all?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bug*ger and blast!!

Just getting out of the saddle to go up Bowden Hill last night and some halfwit had smashed a bottle in the road. There was a car overtaking me at the time so I had nowhere to go but straight over the bl**dy broken glass. I tried to brake which probably made it worse because it shredded both tyres and I had an instant double visit from itb's girlfriend.

Managed to get all of the glass out that I could and more in hope than in expectation replaced both tubes (I was carrying 2 spares). Within half a mile both of them had gone again and I had to give up and call out the race car.

Which means all I managed was a miserable 13 miles last night. Not happy.....

And I've got to fork out for 2 new Michelins and a couple of tubes . Not happy at all ....
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    What's that? So us southerners with no proper hills might not be such a bunch of jessies after all?

Always assuming properly, relentlessly, unshelteredly flat - yes, not jessies. Hills might be tough but they mean varied effort, varied shelter etc. Cycling in ironing board flat scuzz holes like N Lincs, on a headwindy day, is physically and mentally hard. Credit where due - in future I'll be quivering a lot less when I make the right turn at Hawes up to Fleet Moss than when I take the right turn at Goole for North Lincs. At least with Fleet Moss you're over it in half an hour!

Oh bad luck; you are now only 1,000,013 million miles ahead of anyone else rather than 1,500,000 miles ahead :lol:
  • :lol:

Fair point : well made!!

LMAO!!
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Clever Pun
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Always assuming properly, relentlessly, unshelteredly flat - yes, not jessies. Hills might be tough but they mean varied effort, varied shelter etc. Cycling in ironing board flat scuzz holes like N Lincs, on a headwindy day, is physically and mentally hard. Credit where due - in future I'll be quivering a lot less when I make the right turn at Hawes up to Fleet Moss than when I take the right turn at Goole for North Lincs. At least with Fleet Moss you're over it in half an hour!

yes a long run into head or agressive crosswinds are demoralising and exhausting, especially when you turn and think you're out of it for the damned wind to be funnelled still into your face it fu*king sucks... and riding fixed means it's just hunker down and grind, at least with gears you can spin into it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

yes a long run into head or agressive crosswinds are demoralising and exhausting, especially when you turn and think you're out of it for the damned wind to be funnelled still into your face it fu*king sucks... and riding fixed means it's just hunker down and grind, at least with gears you can spin into it

Was reading today about some bloke called Merckx from the not very hilly Belgium. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Was reading today about some bloke called Merckx from the not very hilly Belgium. :)

Who? :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Bug*ger and blast!!

Just getting out of the saddle to go up Bowden Hill last night and some halfwit had smashed a bottle in the road. There was a car overtaking me at the time so I had nowhere to go but straight over the bl**dy broken glass. I tried to brake which probably made it worse because it shredded both tyres and I had an instant double visit from itb's girlfriend.

Managed to get all of the glass out that I could and more in hope than in expectation replaced both tubes (I was carrying 2 spares). Within half a mile both of them had gone again and I had to give up and call out the race car.

And I've got to fork out for 2 new Michelins and a couple of tubes . Not happy at all ....

Hey you leave my GF out of this :wink: :roll: :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Clever Pun != Legend
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    Had a good week! Was in the lead for July for most of the time and came first in the week - 313.2 miles. Currently bob on for my target for the month; all future miles accounted for. 8)
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Delighted to have racked up my first 1000-mile month - I may well celebrate with a whole family size cheesecake and double cream!!! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did the Dunwich Dynamo yesterday / today; ~120 miles, prob a bit less in reality. What with the 8 mile amble across town to the start in Hackney, and a trip to Southwold after the event whilst waiting to be collected that's added 153 miles onto my Stats. Whoosh 54th --> 49th. And the kids are off school now so I can have a bit of the 5 days per week back again for a week or three. Wacth out...

:!:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    family's away for the Summer; not sure if I can challenge RM but certainly going to be a 1000+ month.
  • rolf_f
    hambones wrote:
    Delighted to have racked up my first 1000-mile month - I may well celebrate with a whole family size cheesecake and double cream!!! :D

Congrats!! I may, weather depending, follow you tomorrow. Tuesday for definite though :D
  • andy83
    gbsahne wrote:
    family's away for the Summer; not sure if I can challenge RM but certainly going to be a 1000+ month.

Can you please not, im just realling you in and now you drop this bombshell on me lol

may reduce my miles a little in august as been raising money for charity and been going out on bike when should really rest.

ill see how i feel but definitely be a 1000 mile month

will hit 1230 this month, i need to do 300 miles by 1 o clock saturday to reach my target so i will definitely get that figure.

if weather is nice may go for a century ride friday
  • Well done fellas!

I was hoping that July would be another bigger month but I've (happily) had lots of work committments so I reckon I'll be lucky to break 1200.

However I've foolishly committed to doing the Tour of Britain Pro Ride in Sept with a load of guys from the club who I know are a lot quicker than me so I have to get my a*se into gear and get some proper hard sessions in over the next 4 weeks.

Hill repeats - eeeeuuuuggghhh!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    85 miles over the weekend and i am sufereing for it. 3 weeks of next month so hopefully some respectable milage.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Finally back above average - you lot at the top aren't make it easy!
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    hambones wrote:

Congrats!! I may, weather depending, follow you tomorrow. Tuesday for definite though :D

Annnnnd, relax :D (until tomorrow - then the chase goes on.........)

(In rank for July, obviously!)
    26July2010Jul.jpg