Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• Can't be bothered to taper.

Cut the mileage down by 30% this week but I like riding dammit ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Can't be bothered to taper.

Cut the mileage down by 30% this week but I like riding dammit ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

cut mine down to 30% and i'm gagging for it, opened a can of pain around Regents park yesterday evening into a nasty headwind as well, i'm not sure that's the best prep for a sportive but it did feel gooooood! 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Tapering sucks :evil:

Nooooo, tapering's great. I felt decidedly lethargic on Wednesday, took Thursday off and knocked 5 mins off my PB this year without really emptying the tanks. A hardish effort tonight, Saturday off driving down to Wales, and I'll be in prime condition for the Dragon :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Nooooo, tapering's great. I felt decidedly lethargic on Wednesday, took Thursday off and knocked 5 mins off my PB this year without really emptying the tanks. A hardish effort tonight, Saturday off driving down to Wales, and I'll be in prime condition for the Dragon :lol:

A real man would cycle down... just saying
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    If you do tapering right after a hard period one should fly.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

A real man would cycle down... just saying

Ah but I'm off the stats for the time being :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne - go into your monthly stats, delete the trips that are wrong, reset your mileage to what you think it should be then add the deleted jouneys again.

Thanks for that, much easier to see what I'd done on a PC rather than a phone, all corrected now and the JOGLE miles added. Which incidentally was fun and only a day late returning to the office.

Cornwall was unexpected in terms of the hills, having read various routes and not having been to Conwall before I thought people were exaggerating; unfortunately not! LEJoG perhaps easier route.

I do look weird though, a week or so of 100+ runs in the sun have created various lines on the arms, legs, neck and face.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    gbsahne wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne - go into your monthly stats, delete the trips that are wrong, reset your mileage to what you think it should be then add the deleted jouneys again.

Thanks for that, much easier to see what I'd done on a PC rather than a phone, all corrected now and the JOGLE miles added. Which incidentally was fun and only a day late returning to the office.

Cornwall was unexpected in terms of the hills, having read various routes and not having been to Conwall before I thought people were exaggerating; unfortunately not! LEJoG perhaps easier route.

I do look weird though, a week or so of 100+ runs in the sun have created various lines on the arms, legs, neck and face.

Good work on JoGLE, I think everyone is always surprised by the hillyness of the Devon Cornwall bit! Was chatting to some guys just outside Bristol on Saturday doing 120miles a day for 8 days jogle and wished them luck for what was coming!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    gbsahne wrote:
    CiB wrote:

great effort, and awesome mileage to the table. I need to go out for a ride as ive slipped down the table, stupid 2 days off with mechanical failures, not happy

hows the hand now, seem to remember you damaged it after an off didnt you, or am i imaginining it
  • gbsahne001
    Thanks for comments above, yes had an off due to a pothole, landed badly and somehow managed to crush a finger; heard it snap, so suspect that it may have broken.

Strapped it together for the rest of the ride, which made changing gear a pain. Unstrapped now but still hurts, I suppose I should see a doctor but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do; probably advise, Painkillers and let it get better on it's own.

the off also smashed my phone which I was using as a means of Sat Nav, which was a pain but I'd also backed the route up in a notebook thankfully.
  • @gbsahne : sounds revolting - the finger I mean.

Still not to worry eh? Got another 4 on the other hand ... :wink:

No commute today blast it : working from home so may get the chance to sneak out for 20 or so later, but I'm in London tomorrow for a meeting so definitely won't be able to get a ride in then either.

Will have to stick in another big one at the weekend to compensate :lol:

Been lurking on the Road forum looking at people's responses to the Dragon Ride on Sunday. I had a whale of a time but there's an awful lot of griping going on, mostly about the feed stations.

Now call me old fashioned but in order to get me round I carry my own gels, flapjacks or bars, and drinks, because I know what suits me and I don't want to have to rely on whatever flavour or brand an organiser might be providing from an event sponsor.

Do people really turn up to a 120 mile bike ride and not bring enough food and drink to get themselves round the course? I couldn't imagine turning up to a half or full marathon or a triathlon without my own drinks and energy gels etc?

In fact the one major thing that did concern me was the low standard of road skills and group riding etiquette among many of the cyclists themselves which at times bordered on dangerous but more generally inconsiderate.

As for the event : yes the queue at the start through that single file "gate" was daft, the signposting to the car parks could have been better but those are minor things when the rest of it was such a triumph. All things being equal I'll be back for more next year!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've cleared my 1/2 way marker for the year in early June, going to keep up the pressure meaning I wont have to ride in utterly grim conditions chasing an arbitrary target :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    all that way and it's not until I try and go home that I get a visit from Itb's girlfriend; if that wasn't enough the spare tube that I put on has a defective valve and comes off in my hand.

(probably should have gone in rants section :oops: )
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Hey Running man you have just passed my total for the whole of last year....in just over 5 months, nice one!

@ Clever Pun, nice work, that seems to be my new plan too after passing my half way target last month, looks like I might be able to stop in September!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Same here- decided to aim for 5k for the year, just passed 2.5 today. Reckon should have done 5 by the end of September (a 280 mile minimum week at the beginning of that month might help :) ).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Decided to do no more cycling in June as my hands are still not right after my LEJOG which I got back from two weeks ago (haven't cycled since really, one trip to the bike shop).

Have done a bit of googling and I think I developed a bit of Ulnar Palsy, with my right hand resembling an Ulnar Claw the day I got back. Much better now, but still got numbness in the tip of my little finger so off to the docs on Monday to get a proper analysis.

Two more weeks rest, and reckon I need to sort out my mitts from the Specialized BG ones. That and start to ride without leaning on the handlebars quite as much...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Did my first sportive and my first century today. 104.20 miles with 7000ft of climbing, it took me 8 hours 20 cycling time and 9 hours event time. Had to walk up 3 of the biggest hills due to how steep they were and my left knee threatening to blow.

Im now 1Kg lighter then when i started :)

Not sure i want to put myself through that again mind, it was torture.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    mkirby wrote:
    Did my first sportive and my first century today. 104.20 miles with 7000ft of climbing, it took me 8 hours 20 cycling time and 9 hours event time. Had to walk up 3 of the biggest hills due to how steep they were and my left knee threatening to blow.

Good effort. That's some good climbing. It'll get easier!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    mkirby wrote:

You mean you lost 1kg in a day? You didn't drink enough.
  • andy83
    just been out and achieved a personal goal of a 300 mile week

had 10 miles left to go and the heavens opened, it was nothing short of ridiculous but i had to stay out for the sake of mileage.

top 5 are just putting in ridiculous miles, hard going keeping in top 10 atm but fair play to all clocking up the miles
  • gbsahne001
    2 milestones for tomorrow; 1000 this month and 5000 for the year
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    First full week for a while last week

200.77 miles 16.8 MPH ave 40.4 MPH max

Commuting only, time to step it up a bit now I think.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • @Bounce Armstrong :lol:

Is that a catch I have made? :wink:

I would suggest a really long ride tomorrow or I doubt you will get near me again this year :twisted:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    @Bounce Armstrong :lol:

Is that a catch I have made? :wink:

I would suggest a really long ride tomorrow or I doubt you will get near me again this year :twisted:

I've got miles to add. Namely three figures 2.54 to be exact :lol: Might end up doing the weeks mileage so far again today.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *looks in rearview mirror, wonders what happened to SuzyB*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Hurt my shoulder so haven't been out since Wednesday. Want to wait until it's better before riding again as I think this may be the start of a recurring problem now.

Kinda typical really, beautiful weather and I'm off the bike :(
  • andy83
    have a good week at work with my shift pattern so looking for a 350 week if possible, i think its doable, well hopefully it is lol
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Knackered - today was an easyish (only 1000 feet climbing) loop around York but after a windy 50 yesterday, a windy 65 today made for a bit of a grind towards the end.

Anyway, managed 299.8 for the week (so just been on a 0.34 mile cycle ride round the block :lol: ) and a probably fleeting visit to the top ten.

Just need another 151 miles this month for my target but I won't be riding next weekend so it might be tougher than it seems!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Just done my first Ton! Trossach's Ton - 103miles in total for me. Not sure what the climbing was but it was a lot! Especially near the end. Just a shade over 6 hours in the saddle. Excellent weather, well organised. What with Mallaig to Durness later this week I should hit 350 for the week! :shock:

Lost my good shades though, hope someone finds them and hands them in!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Where about did you go?