Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    lastant wrote:
    Me too Rich : my life in a sentence .....

But seriously a nice steady 23 miles into work in the morning : quiet 27 home in the evening : 100+ on Sundays :

Saturdays are the "in case" days, with even a gentle 10 in midweek lunch hours if I miss a couple of miles here and there ....

It's not impossible : difficult and demanding yes : but not impossible .........

I agree it's not impossible and the way you've described it actually sounds quite, er, nice for want of a better word (dear god...did I really just say that?! Look what you've created CiB!).

Out of interest, how long does a steady 25ish miles take you? I'd love to be in a position to do that - admittedly I could no doubt push myself harder but the best average I can probably crack out without doing myself any damage at the moment is around 15mph (which I managed today doing laps of Hyde Park en route to work; I'd struggle to hit that on my 'normal' commute with traffic lights etc..).

Mid-day trips would be nice, but working in the middle of London makes it that little bit harder. Could always take the bike out to Hyde Park again I guess...

So I do pretty much those distances now but without the weekend club rides, mostly because I not in a club.... yet! that may change this weekend, depends on hangover.

I made the decision when going for my first 1000 ml month to drop back on avg speed to something I knew possible, esp seeing as once I finished my commute I still have 1:15 on the train and a full day at work before returning for a repeat dose.

First week was wickedly tough, 3 hrs a day on the bike, 2:30 on the train and 8 in the office is knackering, roll on the end of this month.

NO MORE I TELL YOU :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    andy83 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Is it being in the Top 6 that makes you insane or have the truly insane just gravitated to where they belong?

I have to admit - I felt a lot more normal when I fell from grace (out of the Top10)

im not even top 10, so tempted to go out and do 3.5 miles just to get there

Im just insane but hopefully if I achieve my target ill be top 6 :)

3.5 miles go on, it's a lovely evening, would only take 10 mins :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    itboffin wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Is it being in the Top 6 that makes you insane or have the truly insane just gravitated to where they belong?

I have to admit - I felt a lot more normal when I fell from grace (out of the Top10)

im not even top 10, so tempted to go out and do 3.5 miles just to get there

Im just insane but hopefully if I achieve my target ill be top 6 :)

3.5 miles go on, it's a lovely evening, would only take 10 mins :roll:

It won;t take me long to do a little 3.5 mile detour either.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    itboffin wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:
    Dear "the stats crew"

As per your request RE "how about 1000 miles in April then" I hereby point you to the stats page and I declare my 1005 miles for the month, I hereby consider this matter closed.

your achingly

GL

p.s. please don't reply to this letter asking for more miles, I feel I have donated enough, I am now off to cry in a corner, eat lots, and hum 'a thousand miles' by Vanessa calton

Chapeau and welcome to the club, now then why not make it two in a row?

it's easier to do it now than have a rest then have to do two more :wink:

Just think of it as defending your title :lol:

*Finger in ears*

"la la la can't hear you :P ........no no no I am not getting drawn into such games"

..plus have a few non bike related weekends in May :shock: :(
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cracking effort, GL. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    gert_lush wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:
    Dear "the stats crew"

As per your request RE "how about 1000 miles in April then" I hereby point you to the stats page and I declare my 1005 miles for the month, I hereby consider this matter closed.

your achingly

GL

p.s. please don't reply to this letter asking for more miles, I feel I have donated enough, I am now off to cry in a corner, eat lots, and hum 'a thousand miles' by Vanessa calton

Chapeau and welcome to the club, now then why not make it two in a row?

it's easier to do it now than have a rest then have to do two more :wink:

Just think of it as defending your title :lol:

*Finger in ears*

"la la la can't hear you :P ........no no no I am not getting drawn into such games"

You know it makes sense........ :twisted:

Gets easier honest

by easier I mean much much harder
  • gert_lush
    cjcp wrote:
    Cracking effort, GL. 8)

cheers, was worth the few big trips at the start of the month to get things roling

.....I'm quietly side stepping all the 1500 mile month chat, seems 1000 just isn't elusive enough these days!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Someone at work suggested i should do 2000 in a month :shock:

They clearly think im a lot fitter than i look
  • gert_lush
    itboffin wrote:

You know it makes sense........ :twisted:

Gets easier honest

by easier I mean much much harder

ha nope i'm putting my foot down this time :roll:

...plus I may get another one in in a few months...maybe
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've only just joined SCS. Already I hate it, despise it, revile it, loathe it. Dirty, tricksy numbers!

I've just nipped out at 21:15 to bump it up to 500 for April, and here we have lunatics discussing three times that. Deranged crazy mentalists, all of them bonkers in the noggin.

Seriously though, making it 500 wasn't actually that hard, and the last ride included a quick nip up over the downs to stare (not bark, mustn't bark; they'll hear me) at the moon, and it was actually an easy spin up in the dark. Do I try for 1000? Yes, of course I must.

Chapeau, gentlemen, good effort.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Just back from a cheeky 50 miler...... :twisted:

Says it all really!!

:roll:
    Still breathing.....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    hambones wrote:
    Just back from a cheeky 50 miler...... :twisted:

Says it all really!!

:roll:

:shock:
    Is Mrs Hambones secretly arranging for you to be taken away by men in white coats?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    gert_lush wrote:

Does not compute, what's a non biking weekend...

I'm going to make a slight tactical retreat, I'll see how close I can get to 1500, it's not definate by any means. After all I've still got to find time for the MTB, beer, and chasing women :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I went to log my miles today then remembered I didn't cycle :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    the nice kind doctor gave me some pills for the pain (tiny little things, dont know what they're going to do) and has said "keep active, if it doesn't hurt then keep doing it"

Doesn't hurt when I'm on the saddle; so might make the 900 after all! :)
  • "batshit insane" ..... aahh - that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me :roll:

Cracking effort Gert Lush : that's 5 of us then ... as long as itb pulls his finger out :wink:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    so if 1500 next month what the month after?

I put the numbers into my planner. It's sort of do-able, but my trouble is that my weekends are not entirely free at the moment, so I have to do the bulk of it during the week. Hence March was a good month, having more working days than any other month this year.
  • Porgy
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oh no :(

:twisted:
  • Porgy
    will3 wrote:

Count yourself lucky if you can still walk.
  • will3
    Porgy wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Why would I want to walk? You can't add walking miles can you?
  • Porgy
    will3 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Why would I want to walk? You can't add walking miles can you?

:lol:
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Guys - chapeau and all that. I'm just struggling to find time to get on the bike to get to work :oops:

With all that time in your saddle, you must be experiencing some side effects. For instance, what's your cadence when you're asleep?
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    who is this BMCA2010 chap, merrily and stealthily chucking in 50-60 mile a day commutes, every day of the week, 211 miles on the clock for this week already? :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Porgy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oh no :(

:twisted:

I knew this in advance... hence the crackers miles on tuesday. Got a gig tonight and I want to see the band on first, it's too tricky to get home first... did not enjoy the train even though my legs were greatful

I hope it rains in devon for you :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • will3
    salsajake wrote:
    who is this BMCA2010 chap, merrily and stealthily chucking in 50-60 mile a day commutes, every day of the week, 211 miles on the clock for this week already? :shock:
    No-ones told him it's miles not km

I hope.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    No chance of hitting my 500 monthly target. Back wheel is in for bearings and a general service. And there I was thinking I could do 600 a month :roll:

Still, new chainset, new chain, new cassette - the bike should be running like dream for next month, shame about the idiot that'll be sat on it :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well tonight I will break through the 600 for the month. Very pleased at that.
    Had hoped for 500 per month, so its good to beat it. Target for May must be 700.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    "batshit insane" ..... aahh - that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me :roll:

Meant it in the nicest possible way ;-)

I do have a certain understanding of the allure of this thing.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Well tonight I will break through the 600 for the month. Very pleased at that.
    Had hoped for 500 per month, so its good to beat it. Target for May must be 700.

I thought you would be going for more than 500 given your aspirations for overall contention last year, or are you still suffering from your injury? I don't think I will be able to stay ahead of you much longer though if you are upping things to 700 a month!
  • gert_lush
    mcmullej wrote:
    "batshit insane" ..... aahh - that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me :roll:

Meant it in the nicest possible way ;-)

I do have a certain understanding of the allure of this thing.

you've been very quiet so far this year mcmullej, after storming away the title last year i expected you to be leading the way again this year! :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes