Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    edited April 2010
    GraemeT wrote:
    Do tandem miles count as double or half?

Tandem miles count as miles. Unless you're the stoker of course, since as every witty wag you pass will tell you "she's not pedalling"

ha ha how original.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    GraemeT wrote:
    Do tandem miles count as double or half?

Depends if you are the one drafiting or not.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    saw this one last saturday:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Tand ... _29057.htm

Now just need to convince the GF :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    holybinch wrote:

]

Looks good.
    Suspension seatpost on the back is a good idea. It cuts down on the irritating squeaking from the back when you go over bumps.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    prawny wrote:
    Eat my stats CiB, for now at least :?
    You're welcome to them, today at least. Still getting over the weekend lurgi here so treated m'self to the leather seats / Radio 4 waft to work today. Maybe tomorrow...
    8)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    will3 wrote:
    holybinch wrote:

]

Looks good.
    Suspension seatpost on the back is a good idea. It cuts down on the irritating squeaking from the back when you go over bumps.

:lol:

also you need at least two and a half grand..... yeah she's bound to go for that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    tandems FFS we have rules you know

CIB what do you think, ban on tandems, recumbent, unicycle etc ? :lol:

I was thinking whilst out earlier this morning, perhaps next year we should only count actual commuter miles, but then again that would hardly be fair to you townies now would it :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    itboffin wrote:
    tandems FFS we have rules you know

CIB what do you think, ban on tandems, recumbent, unicycle etc ? :lol:

I was thinking whilst out earlier this morning, perhaps next year we should only count actual commuter miles, but then again that would hardly be fair to you townies now would it :twisted:

Hmmm - dons thinking cap.

Tandem miles are still miles. Each rider should claim the miles as their own as each has pedalled the distance (accepting that the stoker has put in a different amount of effort). Same logic for tandems, unicycles & The Goodies' very own Trandem - miles is miles as long as they've been done atop a vaguely cycle shaped object. Two laps of the park on your toddler's trike counts in my book. 8)

Can't agree on limiting it to just commuter miles. If we do, all you have to do in January is ask who lives furthest from work and who's likely to ride in more than twice a week. Too llimiting, and if I can catch Captain Chaos, Prawny, JimmyP etc by taking a wrong turn when nipping out for a bag of sugar and accidentally doing 52 miles, that should be allowed.

The rules as written still stand. If you've done some miles on a bike, they count. What we do need is a mad-dog filter, so that anyone exceeding 1000 miles per month is deducted miles for trying too hard. That's what we need. :idea:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    That's the 1000 for the second month running, time to sit back and have a rest :lol:

Stuaff, I know exactly where you're coming from, I'm just doing the miles and trying to up the intensity. I might even start dropping the miles off a bit in return for a much higher intensity and more recovery time :shock:

Well done sir, I should see you there by Friday then back to sane cycling :wink:

Don't be silly, I've got the Cumbrian Killer, The Black Rat, at least 4 CP races and two saturday morning races at Hoggs Hill to cram in, plus commuting, and the odd club run. I feel another 1k coming on, I might even be tempted to go for the 1.5k :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Rich158 wrote:
    I might even be tempted to go for the 1.5k :wink:

Right...been thinking about this magical 1,500 mile target that's now being mooted on here, and I reckon you're all mental! Even if you get an 'ideal' month of thirty one days with five weekends in it (which scarily enough May 2010 is) then you've got to be going some.

Assuming you can whack out a century on a Sunday every week (that takes care of five hundred miles), you're going to need one day to rest (let's call it Saturday). That leaves you with just twenty one days to get the other thousand...

Forty eight miles a day, five days a week...and a weekly century?! Like I said...mental!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    lastant wrote:

Right...been thinking about this magical 1,500 mile target that's now being mooted on here, and I reckon you're all mental!

+1

and anyone mental enough to try it should be removed from the SCS for their own safety i reckon :P
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Dear "the stats crew"

As per your request RE "how about 1000 miles in April then" I hereby point you to the stats page and I declare my 1005 miles for the month, I hereby consider this matter closed.

your achingly

GL

p.s. please don't reply to this letter asking for more miles, I feel I have donated enough, I am now off to cry in a corner, eat lots, and hum 'a thousand miles' by Vanessa calton
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    lastant wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    I might even be tempted to go for the 1.5k :wink:

Assuming you can whack out a century on a Sunday every week (that takes care of five hundred miles), you're going to need one day to rest (let's call it Saturday). That leaves you with just twenty one days to get the other thousand...

Forty eight miles a day, five days a week

OK you've pretty much just described my life :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Me too Rich : my life in a sentence .....

But seriously a nice steady 23 miles into work in the morning : quiet 27 home in the evening : 100+ on Sundays :

Saturdays are the "in case" days, with even a gentle 10 in midweek lunch hours if I miss a couple of miles here and there ....

It's not impossible : difficult and demanding yes : but not impossible .........
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    You guys are batshit-insane.
  • lastant
    Me too Rich : my life in a sentence .....

But seriously a nice steady 23 miles into work in the morning : quiet 27 home in the evening : 100+ on Sundays :

Saturdays are the "in case" days, with even a gentle 10 in midweek lunch hours if I miss a couple of miles here and there ....

It's not impossible : difficult and demanding yes : but not impossible .........

I agree it's not impossible and the way you've described it actually sounds quite, er, nice for want of a better word (dear god...did I really just say that?! Look what you've created CiB!).

Out of interest, how long does a steady 25ish miles take you? I'd love to be in a position to do that - admittedly I could no doubt push myself harder but the best average I can probably crack out without doing myself any damage at the moment is around 15mph (which I managed today doing laps of Hyde Park en route to work; I'd struggle to hit that on my 'normal' commute with traffic lights etc..).

Mid-day trips would be nice, but working in the middle of London makes it that little bit harder. Could always take the bike out to Hyde Park again I guess...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    So The Running Man and ITB both live in Wiltshire.

Is it something in the water?
    Me too Rich : my life in a sentence .....

But mentally a nice steady 23 miles into work in the morning : quiet 27 home in the evening : 100+ on Sundays :

It's not impossible. Just mental.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Porgy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    Just asked my girlfriend what she thinks about all my riding the bike etc, she replied "I think your mad!" sums me up completely I think

Mine's mentioned the term 'cycling widow' oh dear

saying that she's out tonight and I cycled 47 miles to get home :lol:

For the sake of your relationship, you need to have a few weeks off. Take your girlfriend out a bit more, spend more time with her - she obviously feels a bit neglected at the moment.

Let me worry about being 9th in the SCS - my marriage is already on the rocks - I have nothing to lose.

You not worried about the miles by any chance are you??

I have perfect compromise, leave home an hour and 45 minutes before i start work, and have lots of time during the week to cycle.

I have for the second day completed my 45 miles round trip commute, and was 6 minutes quicker coming home tonight. Im going for third day running tomo which will be a good guidde for if I can achieve the elusive 1500 for next month. I never have to work 3 days in a row, its not allowed :) but I had training yesterday hence the commute.

53.57 miles per day needed next month, and thats with 3 days off

I think its very doable, well I hope it is. Also with the two bank holidays and long rides planned im going for it, I have been just short of 1000 for last two months but Im setting my goal now, we all need challenges

I want a top 5 finish, not bad considering I only rode 1959 miles the whole of last year, this year I have already cycled 2532
  • lastant
    andy83 wrote:
    I want a top 5 finish...

Got a feeling that the top five this year are all going to be into (if not well into) five figure mileages... :shock:
  • andy83
    lastant wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    I want a top 5 finish...

Got a feeling that the top five this year are all going to be into (if not well into) five figure mileages... :shock:

Your point being lol

Im aiming for at least 10k for the year, I set my self a target at the start of the year for 6000 miles between feb and november for charity, all being well that will be well and truely smashed

Right so far its me, rich and running man who fancy the challenge, anyone else??
  • lastant
    edited April 2010
    andy83 wrote:
    Your point being??

Sorry, wasn't meant to be judging or saying you couldn't do it...apologies if it came across like that!

Just thinking it's going to be a crazy number of miles that those at the top finish with. Look what a bit of competition with random people on an internet forum can drive people to do!

As for the 1,500 mile month? Assuming everything goes to plan, I'm going to be pretty close in May...
  • Hi Lastant :

There are some very fast chaps and chapesses on here so please bear in mind my times should be put into the context of me being something of an old git ... (54 yrs old with all sorts of old lingering injuries)

So : I did 105 miles with the club 2 weeks ago in 5 hrs 48 mins at an average of 18mph (need to add about 15 mins for our short cafe stop) :)

Did a wind assisted 27 miles on Tuesday in 1 hr 24 mins at an average of 19 mph but I wasn't absolutely flat out and there's around 1200 ft of climbing in that.

I would expect to do most of the miles at steady state pace : averaging between 16-17 mph tops : I think I'd have to restrict myself to 1 interval session and 1 faster long ride per week (inevitably the Sunday club ride) in order to stay reasonably fresh.

My plan would be to break the back of it in the first 2 weeks : if I could get a 500 mile week in that would be a huge stride, and take all the pressure off the rest of the month.

That's what's in my head at the moment but life has a habit of intruding occasionally so it could all go Pete Tong at any time

:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • andy83
    lastant wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    Your point being??

Sorry, wasn't meant to be judging or saying you couldn't do it...apologies if it came across like that!

Just thinking it's crazy. Look what a bit of competition with random people on an internet forum can drive people to do!

Sorry i realised when I posted and as you can see edited it, thought it looked a bit abrupt, wasnt meant that way
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    good luck guys... top draw if you can manage it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    mcmullej wrote:
    You guys are batshit-insane.

Nail. On. The head.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    Clever Pun wrote:
    good luck guys... top draw if you can manage it

cheers, really hope i can.only 15 actual days at work in the month due to holiday so lots of cycling days :)
  • Porgy
    Is it being in the Top 6 that makes you insane or have the truly insane just gravitated to where they belong?

I have to admit - I felt a lot more normal when I fell from grace (out of the Top10)
  • andy83
    Porgy wrote:
    Is it being in the Top 6 that makes you insane or have the truly insane just gravitated to where they belong?

I have to admit - I felt a lot more normal when I fell from grace (out of the Top10)

im not even top 10, so tempted to go out and do 3.5 miles just to get there

Im just insane but hopefully if I achieve my target ill be top 6 :)
  • Porgy
    andy83 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

im not even top 10, so tempted to go out and do 3.5 miles just to get there

Im just insane but hopefully if I achieve my target ill be top 6 :)

I suspect you'll be Top Ten tomorrow or the day after - I'm biding my time till next week when have the whole of Dartmoor and Cornwall on my doorstep and 11 days to cycle where I like.

Obviously the power of the top 6 is great if it can draw in those who are not even in the Top 10....mark my words insanity lies in that direction. :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gert_lush wrote:
    Dear "the stats crew"

As per your request RE "how about 1000 miles in April then" I hereby point you to the stats page and I declare my 1005 miles for the month, I hereby consider this matter closed.

your achingly

GL

p.s. please don't reply to this letter asking for more miles, I feel I have donated enough, I am now off to cry in a corner, eat lots, and hum 'a thousand miles' by Vanessa calton

Chapeau and welcome to the club, now then why not make it two in a row?

it's easier to do it now than have a rest then have to do two more :wink:

Just think of it as defending your title :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.