Brizzle Social Club

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The path: it is quite pleasant, especially the stretch between Bath and Bitton, nice countryside. The surface is excellent throughout, better than most roads, so it shouldn't challenge your shoulder injury. The path is very busy at weekends, and at commuting times, but on weekdays in the daytime it can be quite empty and peaceful. At these times you can cycle at good speeds on the Bath half as there are few walkers/dogs. Suicidal squirrels can sometimes be a problem at certain times of the year. If you are lucky you may see deer grazing in the fields. At some points on the Bristol half it can become a bit of a pain at school closing time, as the kids fill the path (and very occasionally engage in antisocial behaviour aimed at cyclists).

The railway at Bitton has a good cafe, and at Warmley there is a very small but quaint cafe on the platform. About 100m from the path at Warmley is a bike shop (Webbs of Warmley).

Accommodation - hmm, Bath/Bristol/cheap???? Sorry I can't think of anywhere that meets that description.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Echo the points about kids and times of riding. Weekends are out if you want to go for it but OK if you want to pootle in single figures. Not sure of budget but there is a place in Bristol by the cycle path called Geometric House which offers accomodation. You rent an appartment, not a room like a hotel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Excellent. Cheers Redvee and Alfablue :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • redvee
    It seems that cause Sarajoy didn't want to play tonight then neither did anybody else :( Seeing Sarajoy in her lycra imbibing several pints of ale, must get that right, has an attraction for the male members of BSC. If she aint there then neither are the regular members of the club.

On brighter news we have a new member, if he wants to out himself then I'll leave it upto him but Attica is not the top miler in BSC.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Shite! I forgot! Such a donut!
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    That would be me then. Good to put a face to a name and here's waiting to meet the rest of you!
  • redvee
    Can i suggest a get together before we hit RP in a months time so we can talk tactics and discuss how the yokels are going to kick ass of those in the smoke. We can't be seen to be bringing up the rear can we? We need all the Yokel team members to attend this time.
  • gtvlusso
    redvee wrote:
    Can i suggest a get together before we hit RP in a months time so we can talk tactics and discuss how the yokels are going to kick ass of those in the smoke. We can't be seen to be bringing up the rear can we? We need all the Yokel team members to attend this time.

Agreed, Training will obviously include; special energy drinks (strong pear cider) and spinning classes to the sounds of The Wurzels....
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Agreed! I may have more time in the coming weeks :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • redvee
    Found a new drain on the wages today, aka bike shop. Budget Bikes on Raleigh Road in Bemmie. Can't comment on the range as I drove past but looks fairly new.
  • TRADESIZE
    TRADESIZE Posts: 80
    hey i am so slack i havn't even made it to the pub yet.

anyone fancy joining me on sunday for the bristol bikggest bikeride clevedon challenge o. Always more fun with other folk otherwise i'll just be joining myslef!!

details here:
    http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/T ... alSection5

give us a bell if you do 07786365943
    Please sponsor me here:
    http://www.justgiving.com/jeffhillier1/

Charge Plug Racer with risers - Fixie
    Bianchi Mega Pro L - Road Bike
    GT Avalanche - Off Road bike
    Raleigh Europa - I'll bulid it into a fixie one day!
  • redvee
    Done the Clevedon route a few times but never done the bit around Clevedon village. Always missed it cause I turned right instead of left when I got to the Portishead road then left again at the roundabout onto the B3130. Can't see me climbing Brockley Combe on a 44/16 SS, was bad enough with gears.
  • TRADESIZE
    darn you mean to say I'm going to have to take my road bike? doh

ah well, i better get used to it I'm doing a 830 mile ride in 3 months :shock:
    Please sponsor me here:

• 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    I'm doing the Clevdon Challange on Sunday :D I'll be doing it on my road bike as well. :D:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • redvee
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Agreed, Training will obviously include; special energy drinks (strong pear cider) and spinning classes to the sounds of The Wurzels....

Putting this on my phone just for gtv

thewurzelsfinestarvesto.th.jpg
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    TRADESIZE wrote:
    anyone fancy joining me on sunday for the bristol bikggest bikeride clevedon challenge o. Always more fun with other folk otherwise i'll just be joining myslef!!

Done it :D

Took me two hours for the clevdon challenge and got lost a bit just before the finish but it was pretty good. :D:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    So the commuting section is where all the Bristolians hang out.... I rarely leave the roadie area.

I was looking for someone to do the clevedon challenge with yesterday, I didnt go in the end, stayed up a bit late last night and slept in all morning. always next year tho eh?

So anyway... Hi y'all!

Whats this "RP in a months time"??

Oh btw... Theres the Evans Ride It sportive going on soon around Wotton-under-edge. anyone here got plans on that one?
  • redvee
    N4PALM wrote:
    Whats this "RP in a months time"??

It's a summer meet for bikes and beer ala the xmas meet in the Morpeth Arms in november last year. There are 3-4 of us in one car plus bikes going up from Brizzle on July 18th. There are 2 topics on the matter, one a discussion on who can go and the other for dates etc.
  • sarajoy
    I think we need another proper pub get-together.

However I can't do this Tuesday/tomorrow and I daresay that's rather short notice anyway!

I actually might have a Friday free for the first time in a Blue Moon....

Otherwise, any other weeknights this week/next week good for people? Let's get 5+ people like the 1st one!
  • TRADESIZE
    well I done the celevdon challenge, but before that I rode to bath then aztec west then up the a38 into town , so 74 miles in total :D which was a personal achievemnet for me.

But I need a differnt stem , better padded shorts, and proper road shoes to be able to do anymore mileage.
    Please sponsor me here:

• TRADESIZE
    oh the pub? yeah anynight this week just give me a days notice if poss.
    Please sponsor me here:

• gtvlusso
    TRADESIZE wrote:
    well I done the celevdon challenge, but before that I rode to bath then aztec west then up the a38 into town , so 74 miles in total :D which was a personal achievemnet for me.

But I need a differnt stem , better padded shorts, and proper road shoes to be able to do anymore mileage.

Thats pretty good :-)

My personal weekend big miler is:

Henleaze (where I live), Yate, Chipping Sodbury, Old Sodbury, Malmesbury, Chippenham, Corsham, Bath (pickup cycle path), Brizzle.

Thats about 70 miles, my personal best so far is 3 hours 52 mins - near as damnit 20mph most of it.
  • redvee
    Friday is out this week for me but let's make a date for chips for next Tuesday 29th June at 18:45?[/b]
  • sarajoy
    Fine with me, C U Next Tuesday ;)
  • sarajoy
    Hoping for good weather, shall we make the venue this time to be that seated bit between the Trow and the Duke?

There was plenty of room inside the Duke too, that Tuesday we first went there, certainly should be room int' Trow - and chips are available round the corner if not from the pubs :D
  • redvee
    Why not, a change is as good as a rest. Bagsy the first lampost!
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I'm in :D but just to clarify the tuesday is the 30th not the 29th
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • sarajoy
    So it is! Tues 30th June, Duke/Trow then :)
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    :D:D:D:D

p.s. I'm a little bit beardy these days, but dont be scared, i'm not a stranger anymore :lol:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • TRADESIZE
    gert_lush wrote:
    :D:D:D:D

p.s. I'm a little bit beardy these days, but dont be scared, i'm not a stranger anymore :lol:

only the best cyclists are a bit beardy, Mark Beaumont and me for exmaple :lol:
    Please sponsor me here: