Brizzle Social Club

Comments

• AdamJ85
    AdamJ85 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the replies.

I've never been on the path at rush hour, so it will be interesting to see how busy it is. I'll definitely be careful, especially as I'm new to cycling so still a bit shakey even without other cyclists to deal with! :)

The crime/trouble on the path is one of the things that most put me off and made me think twice about whether to do this. However, I'm hoping that the threat of this will be minimised by the fact that I'll be travelling around 7.30-9.00 and 17.00-18.30 so daylight and when the path is busy..
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    AdamJ85 wrote:
    I'll be travelling around 7.30-9.00 and 17.00-18.30 so daylight and when the path is busy..
    Trouble isn't common and I've not had a problem on the 2 or 3 times I've used it in the dark. My biggest problem is getting lost trying to find my way to the start of the path at the Bristol end. :) I'd imagine problems in that busy time period is seriously unlikely.

Avoiding collisions/issues with other users when it is busy is just a matter of paying attention. You do get the occasional kamikaze rider coming the other way with their head down and headphones on to avoid but that happens on any off road cycle path.

Basically give it a go and your confidence levels will soon improve.

Mike
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Forty minutes was my best time from The Dolphin to Russel Town Ave before they put the Mangotsfield detour in. When pushing it these days 50mins on my SS Tricross. With the lights on the Bristol section of the cyclepath thee kids seemed to have gone but still would say there will be some scroat at some point on one of your journeys.

Waddlie Bitton sounds good but are there any pubs near the CP?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcovered
    redvee wrote:
    That was my thought. Might take a look at the weekend if the weather is reasonable.

Mike
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Potentially interested in joining you all if welcome.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mudcovered
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Potentially interested in joining you all if welcome.

Please do. We should be reasonably easy to recognise. ;)

Mike
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    mudcovered wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    That was my thought. Might take a look at the weekend if the weather is reasonable.

Mike

Not in Bitton, but there's the Bird in Hand or Jolly Sailor at Saltford, which is only an extra 2 miles on from Bitton. Bird in Hand is right next to the path.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    If not Bitton then Saltford definitely has at last one nice pub nearby (the jolly sailor) and if not that one, is it the 'bird in hand', or similar? There's one you can see from the cyclepath there, anyway :)

Yes, Bird in Hand: http://local.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=& ... 33,,0,9.81

Or Jolly Sailor, which is at the other end of Mead Lane. I'd prefer that one personally - esp if it's a nice day as you can sit by the water.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoy
    risi wrote:
    mudcovered wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Mike

Not in Bitton, but there's the Bird in Hand or Jolly Sailor at Saltford, which is only an extra 2 miles on from Bitton. Bird in Hand is right next to the path.
    DOH. Totally beaten to it. Great Minds, etc, etc.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Up for Salford, have been to both pubs and would recommend either (although pushing your bike up the ramp from the Bird In The Hand car-park to the cycle-path is a biyatch...)

Edited to add - if we're sticking to Tuesdays then I'm probably out as my next Tuesday off is 6th July. Could do 29th June but only if it was in Bristol. Stoopid new job.
    Rules are for fools.
  • sarajoy
    Doesn't have to be a Tuesday.

If people can handle the short notice, I'm at a loose end this Saturday in the daytime...
  • redvee
    I ain't riding back from Weymouth :lol:
  • sarajoy
    Hehee fair enough. Worth a try! I'm away 19th to 27th June.
  • redvee
    sarajoy wrote:
    Hehee fair enough. Worth a try! I'm away 19th to 27th June.

Yachting again?
  • sarajoy
    Yes and no - going to Kiel (near Hamburg) with the bloke for a week, and they have a big festival of the sea (lots of ships, music and booze) during that week (Kieler Woche), woohoo!
  • mudcovered
    sarajoy wrote:
    Doesn't have to be a Tuesday.

If people can handle the short notice, I'm at a loose end this Saturday in the daytime...
    I could do that. Redvee MTFU. Think of the stats. :lol:

Mike
  • Mark Elvin
    Can't do this Saturday as daughter is at an MJ dance competion AM, then doing a cheerleading show PM. In fact, most of my weekends are taken up transporting her to cheerleading/dance compentions.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • sarajoy
    Well, maybe not this Saturday.

(I might have done it anyway Mike but I've got to get some other stuff done this weekend for upcoming holiday)

But in any case, it need not be a Tuesday!
  • Mark Elvin
    I belive I'm good for most weekdays, apart from Wednesday as the lady goes to the gym Wednesdays.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mudcovered
    sarajoy wrote:
    (I might have done it anyway Mike but I've got to get some other stuff done this weekend for upcoming holiday)
    No worries. Might still end up doing some pub recon at the weekend anyway. :D

Mike
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    right you lot - I'm in Bristol on Thursday. Driving. In an Audi, at rush hour. If I see any mildly speedy cyclists I will be sure to cut them up, hurl abuse and tell them to pay their Road Tax :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    Where abouts do you intend to sully our roads? Might be able to advise a 'better' route.
  • Kieran_Burns
    redvee wrote:
    Where abouts do you intend to sully our roads? Might be able to advise a 'better' route.

Brierly Furlong,
    Stoke Gifford,
    Bristol,
    BS34 8SW
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sarajoy
    Morning or evening rush hour? There's an outside chance you may end up passing me on the A38 if I ride that way...
  • Kieran_Burns
    sarajoy wrote:
    Morning or evening rush hour? There's an outside chance you may end up passing me on the A38 if I ride that way...

Morning - need to be there by 9am. Should be about 2hrs from where I am (assuming I miss the worst of M42 Brumigam Airport nightmare
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcovered
    (assuming I miss the worst of M42 Brumigam Airport nightmare
    Good luck with that. :lol:

Mike
  • Mark Elvin
    redvee wrote:

Brierly Furlong,
    Stoke Gifford,
    Bristol,
    BS34 8SW

AXA Sun Life per chance? About 600 yards from my house!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Kieran_Burns
    Might be :)

Popping down to sort out the backup scheduleand tapes.... Mine'll be coffee, strong with 1/2 a sugar :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mark Elvin

Popping down to sort out the backup scheduleand tapes.... Mine'll be coffee, strong with 1/2 a sugar :wink:

I'd be glad to, problem is I'll be 30miles from home at work in Chippenham
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Kieran_Burns
    Mark Elvin wrote:

I'd be glad to, problem is I'll be 30miles from home at work in Chippenham

Leave the keys under the mat 8)

(easy to get to that place - love the road markings telling you where to go! :D )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X