attica Posts: 2,362
    I may well be having another pop at it - it's a nice day out
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    risi wrote:
    Probably cross-country - I had plotted something - about 19 miles to Wrington.

Just looked at the route and rather than ride up and down through Twerton it might be an easier warm-up to hit the cyclepath for 1/2 mile till Newbridge then pick up the A4 to the Globe roundabout.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    Sunny now with cyclists in short sleeves. Looks warm from inside but might not be when I hit the streets to punish my card in Evans in a mo.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I take it we're still on? Looks gloomy out. Must remember to bring some warm & dry stuff in a placcy bag for donning while in pub.

If it's properly grim/my legs hurt I might wuss out and take a train home - if they'll let bikes on?
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • attica
    I'm still planning to be there.

Any of the C+ crowd coming?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • sarajoy
    Attica wrote:
    Any of the C+ crowd coming?

Dunno. Shall I stick a wall post with this lot?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=150463773120

EDIT: too late, done it! Need to leave office
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    sarajoy wrote:
    I take it we're still on? Looks gloomy out. Must remember to bring some warm & dry stuff in a placcy bag for donning while in pub.

I'm still planning on being there. Does look a bit gloomy but no actual rain forecast (or likely if the current cloud cover here is anything to go by).

Just not a day for spending ages sitting outside. ;)

Mike
  • attica
    Strewth that was cold, lost contact with hands and feet during the descent of Brockley Combe.

Good to see you all, albeit briefly.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • sarajoy
    Sorry it was so brief again, I was knackered by the end, kept hinting at the bloke to whizz off so I could pootle it the rest of the way home at my own speed - he kept being 'nice' and saying it was fine, he could wait... not really the point, at that time I didn't want some hanging around in front or behind me while I took it slowly on my jelly legs!

Buh. No commuting for 2 months and then 30 miles in one night. Did it though - thanks all :D
  • mudcovered
    sarajoy wrote:
    Buh. No commuting for 2 months and then 30 miles in one night. Did it though - thanks all :D

Actually more than 30miles once you factor in the ride across Bristol back to you live.

We will have to do another Bath one in a few months.

Mike
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Attica wrote:
    Strewth that was cold, lost contact with hands and feet during the descent of Brockley Combe.

My hands still haven't warmed up...

Glad to hear you made it back ok; I was cream crackered when I got back - when I staggered in through the door I think my wife thought I'd had a proper skinfull.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • attica
    risi wrote:
    Attica wrote:

Glad to hear you made it back ok; I was cream crackered when I got back - when I staggered in through the door I think my wife thought I'd had a proper skinfull.

It's a good job we didn't have that skinful, would have made the ride home somewhat more challenging! :?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I was in bits by the time I got home last night. 15 miles of trying to keep up with Redvee, a cheesy bacon burger, two pints of beer and another 15 miles of trying to keep up with Redvee. Getting scalped by a pink BSO on the way out was embarassing, but I think we can blame Sarajoy's elbow for that.

Had a top night, sorry to those we abandoned in the pub!
    Rules are for fools.
  • redvee
    I wasn't going that fast, in fact I was going quite slowly for me on the CP even to the extent of zig-zagging behind the hybrid that was struggling up the incline by the chocolate factory. I can brag of hitting 30mph each way for a sort stretch and chasing Risi at 20mph as the smell of the pub got to our nostrils. Good to see a new face from foreign fields, I think he was making sure we didn't invade the territory too far :lol:
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Attica wrote:
    risi wrote:
    Attica wrote:

It's a good job we didn't have that skinful, would have made the ride home somewhat more challenging! :?

Some of the hedges along those dark, windy country lanes may have had a visit or two methinks...
    redvee wrote:
    I can brag of hitting 30mph each way for a sort stretch and chasing Risi at 20mph as the smell of the pub got to our nostrils.

20? Is that all it was? I blame the heavy rucksack.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • redvee
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Any of you guys in for the Action 100 Bristol-London ride at the end of August

Tempted myself but need to get some hill climbing sorted, I've somehow not found any in the last year when I've been on my SS. No excuse now I've got a bike with flappy paddle gearshift. Things have changed since I last rode it as you now need to pay to enter :(

http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/a ... _to_london

One thing not mentioned about the ride home on tuesday were the suidical rabbits. Nearly got taken out by one and saw four others.
  • sarajoy
    redvee wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    One thing not mentioned about the ride home on tuesday were the suidical rabbits. Nearly got taken out by one and saw four others.
    Yeah you and Waddlie cleared the way for me and blokey, ta ;)

TREK!
  • redvee
    What say we meet at the Full Moon on 13/06 at noon? More details here.
  • sarajoy
    It is actually almost tempting...
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Anybody off to Newtown Park for the Police security event in the evenig up for a beer?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Time to organise another p!ss-up?
  • mudcovered
    redvee wrote:
    Time to organise another p!ss-up?

Beat me to it. Back to Bristol or do you fancy the cycle path run again. :)

Mike
  • redvee
    I'm easy but will have to go with the majority which means a Brizzle pub.
  • mudcovered
    redvee wrote:
    I'm easy but will have to go with the majority which means a Brizzle pub.
    That's not a problem from my perspective.

Mike
  • sarajoy
    Well I was exhausted last time and still haven't got back into the commuting, so I'd skip if it were in Bath again I'm afraid!

It's a distance I can happily do, just at my own speed, at the moment ;)
  • mudcovered
    sarajoy wrote:
    Well I was exhausted last time and still haven't got back into the commuting, so I'd skip if it were in Bath again I'm afraid!
    Bristol it is then. Its not like the extra riding bothers me and its a good excuse to leave work early. :lol:

Mike
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    We could split the difference and meet up in Bitton?

Job training finally finishes this week so should be available for the odd drink/ride/curry shortly...
    Rules are for fools.
  • AdamJ85
    AdamJ85 Posts: 14
    Hi all - I'm new to the forum and new to cycling but planning my first commute between Bristol and Bath very soon, so just thought I'd say hello!

I've only been down the cycle path twice previously. Once being last weekend when it took me 1 hour 20 mins, but I wasn't pushing it too hard, so I'm hoping to get that down quite a bit with more effort, a bit more practice/fitness and some new slick tyres on my MTB!

I'd be interested to hear what any more experienced cycle path riders think is a do-able time actually..? Also, do please pass on any other comments/tips/warnings!!

:)
  • mudcovered
    AdamJ85 wrote:
    I've only been down the cycle path twice previously. Once being last weekend when it took me 1 hour 20 mins, but I wasn't pushing it too hard, so I'm hoping to get that down quite a bit with more effort, a bit more practice/fitness and some new slick tyres on my MTB!
    /quote]
    Welcome. Please feel free to join us at the next social gathering. :)

With a bit of practice I'd imagine you would be able to trim that down to about an hour on a slicked MTB with repeated practice.

When riding on it in the dark make sure you have good lights. Even then pay attention to the disused platforms. I managed to ride up onto one and was perilously close to falling of the edge when I finally realised where I was.

The path does also pass through some slightly dodgy bits of Bristol. Very occasionally the local residents cause trouble for cyclists. It is pretty rare though and is mostly after dark.

Mike
  • sarajoy
    1 min 20 seems good for a leisurely ride along there :)

Not sure what time we did last time though I'm sure Redvee still has stats on his Garmin (however please note the final time might be subject to their waiting for me to catch up every now and then)..?

Just don't get complacent about traffic on that path - it is very busy around rush hour, we rode past a woman commuter who'd clearly had quite the collision that day...