it's a 93 miler right?

Sadly not, I think just the 50.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:
    it's a 93 miler right?

pfft

I thought DDD had properly manned up :lol: that nails it then... eith RP or Brighton for me on sunday then or somewhere inbetween
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    it's a 93 miler right?

okay just to clear thing up a little our base mileage will be 45, with the goal of 65 depending on the weather, general level of complaining & moaning (from me).

I have loads of alternatives to add or remove distance and hills as needed, after all this is a fun ride right - whoooohahahahaha :twisted:

The weather yesterday was amazing, today bright and cloudy with NO wind :shock:
    I was gutted to cut my training ride short this morning, I was have a total blast on the SS, just being silly pootling along then blasting up short hills (25+mph) oh yeh :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Don't look if you like surprises but this is the base route for Sunday, hopefully there will be enough in the tank for the Pewsey vale hill (whitehorse) extension see 2nd link, for those that like long straight downhill drags you'll like 4193 not to mention the views from up there ;)

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4715

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4193
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    looks a cracking route, i've been nr there a few times lovely land. mutter grumble...
  • itboffin
    looks a cracking route, i've been nr there a few times lovely land. mutter grumble...

Have you done the descent from the ridgeway towards Marlborough? damn that's a fast one :?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    edited March 2009
    I've done the Wantage to Chievely road as part of my circuit from Henley and that is a really nice road.

Might have to extend it out to the Marlborough road when I get fitter.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • roger_merriman
    itboffin wrote:

Have you done the descent from the ridgeway towards Marlborough? damn that's a fast one :?

sadly not by bike no, been though a few times and stopped for a rat show a few years back.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    JW - Where ya coming in from? I have 1 spare space on my carrier if your coming in from the London area?

Thanks BJ but I'm coming the other way - hopefully RM will have sorted themselves out by the weekend :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    it's a 93 miler right?

pfft

I thought DDD had properly manned up :lol: that nails it then... eith RP or Brighton for me on sunday then or somewhere inbetween

Why the hate? You don't like much do you?

In all seriousness, I am fat, I ain't that fast, I moan, I can't ride up hills and the amount I eat for a meal is what most families would eat collectively. I'm also not that funny and incredibly shy... I won't be racing Jash, I'll ride at a maximum of 15mph (if that) and I don't want to spoil anyones fun...

I also haven't experienced the sort of distance you guys are touting.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    CP - I'll be leaving Croydon around 2pm on Saturday afternoon to head over to collect DDD if that helps at all?

ITB - Like the sounds of the distances, could be setting a new daily PB if we go much beyond 65miles :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    we're burning an outsider at the village green tonight hopefully that should keep the rain away :shock:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Got about 3 hours til I set off and I think I have everything I need :-)
    Can't wait to get out for a proper long ride tomorrow with some excellent company, should be a right blast!

I'm assuming lunch arrangements are a pub? If so I'm guessing cash will be the best bet for paying? Will have to find an ATM en-route as I don't think there are many in the middle of the fields :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Can't wait to get out for a proper long ride tomorrow with some excellent company, should be a right blast!

I'm assuming lunch arrangements are a pub? If so I'm guessing cash will be the best bet for paying? Will have to find an ATM en-route as I don't think there are many in the middle of the fields :-)

Excellent company?

Is there someone coming I don't know about?

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Bassjunkieuk
    linsen wrote:

Excellent company?

Is there someone coming I don't know about?

:wink:

Sorry I should have changed that as Biondino isn't coming now ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Nah, I;m just teasing you.

I am really looking forward to a day out too - even if it does pi$$ down.

Though I will miss young Blondie :cry:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    I just got back from the ride, wow what a blast that was lots of 10mph sections :oops: and almost a new speed record 56.2mph :shock: if it wasn't for the headwind I could have nailed it, when I got to the pub I noticed that my front wheel was on the wrong way round - does it actually matter?

43miles, 2hr 47mins at a steady 15mph avg for the first section, the second stage will be after a pub lunch so all bets are off :lol:

I'm very tired now :?

section 1 with a couple of photos http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=730875
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    I just got back from the ride, wow what a blast that was lots of 10mph sections :oops: and almost a new speed record 56.2mph :shock: if it wasn't for the headwind I could have nailed it, when I got to the pub I noticed that my front wheel was on the wrong way round - does it actually matter?

43miles, 2hr 47mins at a steady 15mph avg for the first section, the second stage will be after a pub lunch so all bets are off :lol:

I'm very tired now :?

section 1 with a couple of photos http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=730875
    Not unless you're Sir Hoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeBiFh3484

ITB, you are doing some prodigious riding at the moment. Chapeau.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hope you guys are OK - strong winds and lashing rain here at the moment :(
  • roger_merriman
    lovely and sunny here, so far though not sure for how much longer! windy though.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    lovely and sunny here, so far though not sure for how much longer! windy though.

Well, I went out in the sun and howling wind at about 1300, got about 5 miles into my ride, then it started to absolutely tip it down, so I went back!

Then I took the dogs for a walk when the rain stopped, saw a cycle club out on a sunday ride, muttered grumpily to the great dane, went back, had some lunch, got back into the slightly damp bike kit, did a lap of my 4 mile loop (so unfit), then headed off again for a longer spin.

5 miles from home, it started to absolutely tip it down so I went back.

Grumble.
  • jonginge
    I got a bit luckier. Went out about 12 for a hour or so to do another test ride of new stuff. Got home and 20mins later it was thunder and lightning (very, very frightening)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    another test ride of new stuff.

Fair to say that you do a lot of test rides? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

:lol:
    Can't argue with that.
    The wishlist is now officially empty*:
    Huez shoes - check
    Race bike - check
    PowerTap - check

Now I've just got to start using the above items to somewhere near their potential.

Saw your time on the RP challenge thread. Was a bit blowy for fast times today, except for ShavedLegs :shock:

* don't mention deep-dish, aero bling wheels
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:

Huez shoes - check
    Race bike - check
    PowerTap - check

Now I've just got to start using the above items to somewhere near their potential.

That is universally recognised to be an unnecessary stage of ownership. I thought everyone knew that!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Can't argue with that.
    Huez shoes - check
    Race bike - check
    PowerTap - check

Saw your time on the RP challenge thread. Was a bit blowy for fast times today, except for ShavedLegs :shock:

Have you got tyres for said aero wheels? :)

I've now got to put stuff on ebay to fund further purchases.

Yeah, ShavedLegs passed me my last time up Sawyer's Hill. Up until then, I hadn't been passed up and had ridden potential drafters off the wheels. I tried to give chase down to Ham Gate, but he was gone. He's done a sub-50. :shock: My hamstrings hurt like hell this afternoon. First time that's happened. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin

It's okay they're all alive but only just :shock: we had every kind of weather including snow :shock: :shock: :shock: and headwinds from hell, unfortunately we didn't complete the 2nd section due to a slight force 10 gale but I did manage to perfect the 45 degree lean whilst going in a straight line :lol:

There are many many stories which no doubt will trickle through but for now here's some pictures to WET your appetite :lol:

http://picasaweb.google.com/itboffin/MarlboroughLoop#

I can also confirm that Jash can damn close if not spot on 40mph on the flat :shock:
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:

It's okay they're all alive but only just :shock: we had every kind of weather including snow :shock: :shock: :shock: and headwinds from hell, unfortunately we didn't complete the 2nd section due to a slight force 10 gale but I did manage to perfect the 45 degree lean whilst going in a straight line :lol:

There are many many stories which no doubt will trickle through but for now here's some pictures to WET your appetite :lol:

http://picasaweb.google.com/itboffin/MarlboroughLoop#

I can also confirm that Jash can damn close if not spot on 40mph on the flat :shock:
    Good photos ITB. Looks like a fun day (weather apart)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    There were a few hills :shock: :lol:
    https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=735510

Then after the early lunch stop
    https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=735517

Look at the speeds after 18 min mark YEH BABY :D
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Can't argue with that.
    Huez shoes - check
    Race bike - check
    PowerTap - check

Have you got tyres for said aero wheels? :)

I've now got to put stuff on ebay to fund further purchases.

Yeah, ShavedLegs passed me my last time up Sawyer's Hill. Up until then, I hadn't been passed up and had ridden potential drafters off the wheels. I tried to give chase down to Ham Gate, but he was gone. He's done a sub-50. :shock: My hamstrings hurt like hell this afternoon. First time that's happened. :?
    You must have gone out really early doors. I got 3 laps in at lunchtime but traffic was really bad and the wind was picking up lap on lap. Was going to do some more but saw the thunder clouds on the horizon and legged it.
    There was a chap on a Condor SS that kept up when I was giving it some up Dark hill (650Watts, 180bpm). (If you're on here then sorry I didn't mean to drop you on the drag up to richmond gate, only meant to set a tempo and offer a bit of a draft. And you were right it was higher than 300W up Sawyer's)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides