Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Google maps on a phone is a great one - just take it with you, and it can help you find yourself if you get really lost - don't take the 'my location' function as gospel, but it can help!

And at least you have better navigation skills than SOME PEOPLE! ;)
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Google maps on a phone is a great one - just take it with you, and it can help you find yourself if you get really lost - don't take the 'my location' function as gospel, but it can help!

And at least you have better navigation skills than SOME PEOPLE! ;)

:lol::lol::lol:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    You can't get that lost in the New Forest. You just keep going until you get to either the water, the A31, or Bournemouth. :)
    Enjoy!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    You can't get that lost in the New Forest. You just keep going until you get to either the water, the A31, or Bournemouth. :)
    Enjoy!

Clearly you've not met Linsen :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    On today's ride I found the highest point in South East England, Walbury Hill 297m / 974ft, my knees are shot to pieces, if anyone's passing that way could you please recover my lungs :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walbury_Hill

The view is amazing but best of all I especially loved the headwind on the way back topped off with 100% precipitation, I had to stop several times to get my breath back, out of the saddle and pushing hard for 15mph :shock: FFS!!! when is this global WARMING going to kick in :evil:

This picture doesn't do the steepness of this road justice, it bends to the left then straight up, no messing around here just UP :?

3348406197_afff373f90.jpg

Damn its a long way up, look how small the trees are....
    3348407745_d841281bbe_b.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You're pretty unlucky that the whole redundancy thing didn't happen in time for the summer. I'm sure it's nice to be able to be out and about every day, but imagine doing all that riding in the sun (assuming we get any).

Still jealous though.
  • itboffin
    You're pretty unlucky that the whole redundancy thing didn't happen in time for the summer. I'm sure it's nice to be able to be out and about every day, but imagine doing all that riding in the sun (assuming we get any).

Still jealous though.

I think that everyday and it just bites a little harder each time I go out, the only saving grace is summer was pretty much the same a winter last year :cry:

I'd say the wind today is equal to the ML :shock: without the snow :wink:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    That road looks pan flat in the photo ;-)
    My mate has sent me an e-mail about the King of the Downs sportive Evans are running.
    The full route tackles 10 of the toughest hills in the South East including some of those used in the HOTA (going by the names I think and it does go via Ashdown Forest) and some that are used for club hill climbs!!

110 miles with 9,000ft of climbing!!!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    The wanderer returns

Seems when riding alone I am fitted with a homing device - no wrong turns, just over 50m with an average of 17.1mph 8)
  • itboffin
    That road looks pan flat in the photo ;-)
    My mate has sent me an e-mail about the King of the Downs sportive Evans are running.
    The full route tackles 10 of the toughest hills in the South East including some of those used in the HOTA (going by the names I think and it does go via Ashdown Forest) and some that are used for club hill climbs!!

110 miles with 9,000ft of climbing!!!!!

Shame I'm washing my hair that day :shock: :lol:
  • il_principe
    Fooking hell, that's a beast.

Anyone tempted?

May ain't that far off really.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    edited March 2009
    Linsen: Good effort! That is an impressive average.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    More details of that beast here:

http://www.mediacomail.co.uk/1660852/53 ... /0/t2.aspx

There is a half sportive option that is 53 miles. I am rather tempted on that but don't see how they can charge the same for half ride that they do for the full! Especially given as Gatwick is SO close!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feltup
    The weekend after the Fred Whitton. Might have to give that a miss as I don't think the legs would take 21000ft of climbing in 8 days!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    MTFU, you won't even notice those slight inclines after the Fred :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • linsen

Anyone tempted?

I am ABSOLUTELY NOT doing another stupid bike ride

Well, not until HOTA 2010 8)
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    MTFU, you won't even notice those slight inclines after the Fred :wink:

Fancy it? Go on you know you want to :wink: As you say it will feel easy after the Fred.

Oh no, I just heard I am washing my hair that day - shame.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    I'll have to run it past the boss first :wink:

Pah, washing your hair, you'll be telling me you moisturise next :oops:

To hell with what the wife thinks :shock: , she'll do as she's told (ducks for cover!!!!!!), I'll be a real man and put my name forward first, with a gold time to boot 8)

BRING IT ON
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Rich158 wrote:

To hell with what the wife thinks :shock: , she'll do as she's told (ducks for cover!!!!!!), I'll be a real man and put my name forward first, with a gold time to boot 8)

BRING IT ON

THIS IS THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION FOR MFTU!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Damn I've injured my left arm and right shoulder pulling up on the handlebars today, turning my head really hurts. :cry:
  • Feltup
    Well don't turn your head then..........

Hope you heal quickly. I hate wrenched necks etc. I just had myself straightened out at the McTimoney Chiro and hopefully that will last for a while.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158 wrote:

BRING IT ON

what is more balsey from the the married man pespective.
    The Gold Time or 'To hell what the wife thinks'

It's gunna :shock: hurt either way I guess......................
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Anyone tempted?

possibly yes, though the i've signed up for the tour of the black mountains which has more hight gained, possibly over reaching my self there, though as it's home ground, that has one advantage!
  • il_principe
    Well I've chucked the first half of the route into my Garmin. From my flat, via Richmond Park it makes for 105 miles and 7570 feet (2308 metres). I'm going to tackle some or all of it this weekend, perhaps 50 this weekend and the full 105 next. :shock:
  • linsen
    Ah, the delights of utter self punishment.......

My legs ache today :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Damn it! This looks SSSOOOO tempting :-) Would be a good starting point if I ever get the time to arrange a social ride, just had a quick look on google maps and the official start point is 23 miles from my house.......so there and back with a loop of either section would be good for close on 90 miles :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    edited March 2009
    well if anyone fancies a ride on Sat, I'll be leaving Richmond Park at 9 I think and heading out to Surrey.

Here's the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/london/808123693540811271

EDIT: BikeRouteToaster - used to plot the route, and MyMyRide (used to share the route) disagree wildly on climb:

BikeRouteToaster = 7570 feet
    MyMyRide = 4009 feet

:roll:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 wrote:

BRING IT ON

what is more balsey from the the married man pespective.
    The Gold Time or 'To hell what the wife thinks'

It's gunna :shock: hurt either way I guess......................

The final words of the condemned man :wink: The only place I can get away with that sort of bravado is on here where's there's no chance whatsoever of the other half seeing it.

We all work under the illusion that as married men we are masters of our own destiny, and household :? What fools we are :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I'll be going to the other half, cap in hand over the weekend, asking if it's OK to ride two weekends in a row, just like one of the kids asking if they can go out and play with their mates, which is pretty much how she treats it.

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Anyone tempted?

Very :)

+1 :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."