Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mmm they're gonna love me!

I didn't know Assos and Castelli did their lines in wicker :-)

I'm gonna plump for the new Assos "Tweed" range. :shock:

Or perhaps this monstrosity from Rapha:

Tweed_1.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thanks Linsen & BoB for a most enjoyable days riding, if somewhat adventurous and tiring :wink:

I make that 54.79 mile in 4.23 hrs - shame my Nokia ST didn't work on the first leg, i've posted the middle and last legs on Nokia's site.

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=707515
    https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=707521

My GPS recorded 6200ft ish of ascent - no wonder i'm soooo tired.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ITB - That's make 2 of us! I finished up my final days training early and the wife said I should go out for a ride to blow off some steam. 15 miles later I got back (wanted to meet them from school!) to find ST hadn't tracked a damn thing :-(

However I did go for a quick spin round the block to check some of the hills that I normally have to tackle on the way into London. Turns out the difference between my house and the highest point I reach is 140ft! Not bad considering the quickest way to get there is just on a mile :-) Certainly more fun coming back down that road as it's not a smooth incline with a small dip that ramps up at the end :-)

I also have a sinking feeling I'm gonna pay for grinding up Crystal Palace Hill tomorrow. I didn't want to switch down to granny ring or use the big ring on the cassette which meant I was using a combination of around 42x21 and in a some what ironic twist of fate the lights changed to green as I got to the top!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    Thanks Linsen & BoB for a most enjoyable days riding, if somewhat adventurous and tiring :wink:

I make that 54.79 mile in 4.23 hrs - shame my Nokia ST didn't work on the first leg, i've posted the middle and last legs on Nokia's site.

My computer said 55.5 miles and 3hours 59 minutes......
    A good ride but I am weary now.....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

My computer said 55.5 miles and 3hours 59 minutes......
    A good ride but I am weary now.....

Yeh mine went a little wrong for the first 17 miles or so, whatever it was WE rule :wink:

Yep you're right again 3hr 59m I can't add up ATM - i weak and tired :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Due to the fact I had to peel off before the end to rescue the children from school, I did 46.7 miles in 3:03. Apparently that meant I got off lightly and missed the long slog back into the fiendish headwind :twisted:

Anyway, it was great to explore the countryside on our doorstep a bit more - and good to see that flat Hampshire isn't that flat...
  • itboffin
    Headwind yes wouldn't you just know we'd pick that up on the return journey :( just one more hill and I'd have been a gonna, phew! :D
  • linsen
    Note to forum.....

ITB is MUCH better up hills than he would have us all believe.

And I am MUCH slower than you all think. I may have completed the HOTA, but oh boy I can still die on a hill......
  • linsen wrote:
    Note to forum.....

ITB is MUCH better up hills than he woudl have us all believe.

And I am MUCH slower than you all think. I may have completed the HOTA, but oh boy I can still die on a hill......

Well it sounds like the Marlborough Loop ride will be good fun then!
    NOTE TO SELF.............GET SOME HILL PRACTICE!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Note to forum.....

ITB is MUCH better up hills than he would have us all believe.

You madam are too kind if some what confused :lol:
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Note to forum.....

ITB is MUCH better up hills than he woudl have us all believe.

Well it sounds like the Marlborough Loop ride will be good fun then!
    NOTE TO SELF.............GET SOME HILL PRACTICE!

Don't fear the 8th is NOT going to be a slog, the pace will be slow enough for one to smoke ones pipe and not chafe against your plus 4s :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If I walk up the hills, ride at 12-14mph (Bass rides a consistent 19-20mph) and brake all the way down the 17% hill (and this I'm serious about my bike is sketchy at the front end) is that going to bother anyone?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I walk up the hills, ride at 12-14mph (Bass rides a consistent 19-20mph) and brake all the way down the 17% hill (and this I'm serious about my bike is sketchy at the front end) is that going to bother anyone?

I'll keep you company :wink:
  • il_principe
    You're not going to need to walk, either of you! Have some faith.

Oh and MTFU WTFU respectively!

I'm looking forward to this.

Oh - should I wear modesty shorts over the lycra, or will standard kit be acceptable? I don't want to be stoned by the local yokels!
  • itboffin

Oh - should I wear modesty shorts over the lycra, or will standard kit be acceptable? I don't want to be stoned by the local yokels!

the order of the day should be lightness - we have a support vehicle to carry the extra clothes, food water spares etc :D

There's a strong chance I might have a NEW bike by then as well, after all it will nearly be spring/summer etc cough!
  • linsen
    Oh scrub the offer to walk up hills - I never do that - just cycle VERY slowly

My one proud claim is that I stayed on the bike all the way round HOTA :D
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:

the order of the day should be lightness - we have a support vehicle to carry the extra clothes, food water spares etc :D

There's a strong chance I might have a NEW bike by then as well, after all it will nearly be spring/summer etc cough!

Support vehicle, seriously? This is fantastic. Which poor soul has volunteered for this?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The Marlborough ride will be 2 weeks after the broken rib incident and I won't have ridden much/at all in that fortnight. Realistically, it ain't gonna happen for me, is it?
  • DonDaddyD
    Only you can make that decision Biondino.

Not a question of fitness as much as it is whether you have healed feel physically comfortable riding that distance.

I'll be wearing lycra and lycra - my gender isn't considered when cycling - I do wonder wear it goes though... seems to vanish... :? . I'll have a saddle bag complete with tyre levers, innertube and multitool. I've since lost the frame attachment for my pump, but suspect someone else will have one. Oh and I'll have a waterbottle and credit card.

Need to get the Bottom Bracket tighted (makes a clicking sound and new brake blocks).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    I might wear a frilly miniskirt over my lycra. And I have asked the LBS if they can fit some cleats onto my knee high stiletto boots......
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:
    I might wear a frilly miniskirt over my lycra. And I have asked the LBS if they can fit some cleats onto my knee high stiletto boots......

:cry: Normally I would say something charming, witty, vulgar and overall funny... but BoB might kick my online ass... :cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen wrote:

*girly moment*

You know how it's fashionable at the minute for high-heeled shoes to have a platform toe? I reckon that, armed with a sharp chisel and a steady hand, you could recess an SPD or eggbeater cleat in those.

I might just try it. :D

*end of girly moment*
  • il_principe
    linsen wrote:

*girly moment*

You know how it's fashionable at the minute for high-heeled shoes to have a platform toe? I reckon that, armed with a sharp chisel and a steady hand, you could recess an SPD or eggbeater cleat in those.

*end of girly moment*

Not really a girly moment that, you mention chiselling for one...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    *offers don don a tissue
  • linsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    linsen wrote:

:cry: Normally I would say something charming, witty, vulgar and overall funny... but BoB might kick my online ass... :cry:

or be impressed :lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I now can't make this as am going to a rave in Shoreditch on friday night and will in be in no fit state on sunday to do anything other than eat roast.
  • il_principe
    Sewinman wrote:
    I now can't make this as am going to a rave in Shoreditch on friday night and will in be in no fit state on sunday to do anything other than eat roast.

MTFU! You have all of sat to recover...
  • linsen wrote:

*girly moment*

*end of girly moment*

Hey, that's about as girly as I get! :lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:

MTFU! You have all of sat to recover...

I am being realistic...I probably won't be going to sleep until saturday morning.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    linsen wrote:

*girly moment*

*end of girly moment*

And she has a hammer drill as well....

[tissue]
    I'm sure that a thigh length PVC stiletto boot, with a thin enough sole, could be drilled to accept a Look cleat.

They'd keep your knees warm during cooler Spring commutes as well....
    [/tissue]