Weekend Social Rides

Jen J
Jen J Posts: 1,054
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
Had too much diet coke to be able to sleep for ages...

Some of us mentioned earlier about organising regular weekend rides - some in Richmond Park, some further afield.

We already have IOW and Hell of Ashdown rides for Jan/Feb, and I've included RP rides each month too...

Dec 21st - RP

Jan 3rd - Isle of Wight

Jan 18th - RP

Feb 1st Hell of Ashdown

Feb 15th - RP

March 1st - Marlborough Loop?

March 15th - RP

April 5th - Bristol area?

April 19th - RP

Sound any good?
Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
Madone

It's all about me...

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Far, far too organised. You really need to cut down on the caffeine :)

I'll certainly be up for some sociable cycles in the new year. Unfortunately can't make the Ashdown one for some reason which I've yet to invent.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes, less of the caffeine. :shock:

Well, I'm down for the Hell of the Ashdown - going to try to catch up that 5 mins to join Attica in the group ahead. I will try to get out at least once a month for a long-ish Sunday ride. I'd like to do the Malborough Loop, but that is likely to be too far afield for me - I'm on Monster Duty on the weekend, so the Surrey Hills is about as far as I can go.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Far, far too organised. You really need to cut down on the caffeine :)

I'll certainly be up for some sociable cycles in the new year. Unfortunately can't make the Ashdown one for some reason which I've yet to invent.

You don't need to rack your brains to think of an excuse - HOTA is already full up...

CJ - we could make the March/April long ride a Surrey Hills one? Or change a RP ride to SH?

And next time we go for drinks, plesae can everyone refuse to supply me with diet coke after 9pm... :oops:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:
    CJ - we could make the March/April long ride a Surrey Hills one? Or change a RP ride to SH?

Very kind, but don't plan around me - I've not been out to the SH since July and my weekends are very hard to predict, so it's best to plan inspite of me and I'll see if I can join you. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'd be more than happy to host a Marlborough Loop ride, I have a selection of routes from 20-75 miles all with hills I'm afraid :) still the views and pubs more than make up for the effort.

PS. Diet coke is a gateway drug :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I could arrange a Cambridge direction ride, based around the Liverpool Street line...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Likewise I'll be happy to put together a Bristol area ride, I can do hills or we could hit the Somerset levels and battle the wind instead of gravity. Just let me know a distance and I'll do the rest.

If you're lucky I'll get Mrs A to sort outt some of her fantastic flapjack for you all too.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I'm up for this in theory. As many as I can fit in my house welcome to stay over the night before the IOW ride - I'm 5 mins from the ferry.

May even venture up for an RP at some point...

Jen - you need ginger beer :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'll certainly be up for a social ride or 3. With the little Wrath Rob's I can only really do a morning though so it will have to be RP or Surrey Hills that I can join you all for.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Slightly OT but why is Terry Thomas appearing in EVERY avatar? :lol:
  • downfader wrote:
    Oh, so that's who it is... :oops:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    downfader wrote:

I had to ask my mother... :oops:
  • downfader wrote:
    downfader wrote:

I had to ask my mother... :oops:
    :D tsk you kids!

With sufficient notice I'd enjoy attending a ride - so long as it is more social than competitive (yeah yeah MTFU I know :roll: but if I wanted to see everything go by in a blur rather than experience and soak up the sights and smells I'd go everywhere by car!)

The RP rides are a bit of a bother though as I'd have to cycle all the way across London to get there. Might have to do an East Lundidian alternative for the likes of digging deeper and woodfors2barbican though again I suspect I'll need to attach a bungie cord to the back of their seat posts in order for me to keep up....

Great idea though. Would be good if a few of us in London could target say two or three of the out of London rides to get a decent turn out and dispell any feeling of London centriiciciity (is that a word?)
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I nearly missed this thread!

Would defo be up for Marlborough, not far from here, and Bristol potentially too.

I've just entered myself, my gf and 3 others into the Highclere Sportive, £25 each though, so maybe the free rides would be better for sociability - assuming that is a word :D

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I have a tentative interest in attending the Bristol ride. That is to say that I'm interested in coming, but would have to arrange time off from my weekend job to attend. Poke me to remind me about it in the new year.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'd be up for anything around London, especially RP although it is a pain to get to from Kent. I aim to complete a full season of the Southern Sportive series next year, so some social rides would be a welcome break.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • I might be on for the two RP rides in dec and jan, the jan one is less likely as it's my birthday weekend... :shock:
  • attica
    I have a tentative interest in attending the Bristol ride. That is to say that I'm interested in coming, but would have to arrange time off from my weekend job to attend. Poke me to remind me about it in the new year.

I'd love to go for a ride in North Wales hint hint.

...no pressure
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    We could do Bristol over the Clifton Suspension bridge and up to the Severn Bridge into South Wales - probably a 70 to 90 mile day for a loop.....or is that too bonkers?
  • attica
    Or head down into them there Mendips and give Cheddar Gorge a tickle, although I always find Burrington more of a challenge, then we could descend Cheddar Gorge.

Nempnet Thrubwell is always good for a laugh, if only for the name.

Too much choice
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Attica wrote:
    Or head down into them there Mendips and give Cheddar Gorge a tickle, although I always find Burrington more of a challenge, then we could descend Cheddar Gorge.

Nempnet Thrubwell is always good for a laugh, if only for the name.

Too much choice

Now your talking! Couple of laps of Chew Valley lake for a bit of a race on the way!
  • attica
    Ooh, I think Bristol South CC have a measured 10 mile time trial route there (CVL), we could add that in for good measure!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    Ahem - look at the title - "weekend SOCIAL rides"

If I will be either "hugely dropped" or unable to converse due to my heart coming up and out of my mouth, I'm not coming.

Which may not be a problem, so "as you were".

I will never be as fast as a boy :cry:

Our IOW tour will be slow. Any speed freaks can go the other way :wink:
  • attica
    You're right Lins, I was getting a little carried away.
    Still I think a jaunt to Cheddar Gorge might well be in order, just slower that's all.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • I quite like the sound of this, but as I have so many lil BJUK's (and the other half) it can be rather tricky getting time away. Still I thought I'd post so I can keep up and if there's anything localish I'll gladly turn up.

Also as I'm located within a stones throw of at least another SCRer and not that far sarf of a couple other's I'd be more then happy to knock up a route or 2! I've been wanting to explore a bit further south heading over the M25 towards Box Hill and Reigate! One of the local cycle clubs even went down to Gatwick once following a cycle route, but I think some of that was off-road so not handy for those on "proper" bikes :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    Attica wrote:
    Still I think a jaunt to Cheddar Gorge might well be in order, just slower that's all.

Would love that!
    May even be faster one day ....

And I have shown an interest in the night ride in May - can you tell me when you are thinking of. Mr Linsen has signed up for the etape Caledonia so he has laid claim to some of May already!
  • Blasting around chew magna and then down the cheddar gorge is always a good laugh...plus they have tea shops there :D

...a slight hill up to shipham mind :shock:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Attica wrote:
    I have a tentative interest in attending the Bristol ride. That is to say that I'm interested in coming, but would have to arrange time off from my weekend job to attend. Poke me to remind me about it in the new year.

...no pressure
    Hm...

I haven't done much of anything long distance in this neck of the woods, let alone plan a group ride, but I'll have a ponder. What sort of distances would you guys consider sane?

(puts thinking cap on)
  • cjcp
    linsen wrote:
    Attica wrote:

Would love that!
    May even be faster one day ....

And I have shown an interest in the night ride in May - can you tell me when you are thinking of. Mr Linsen has signed up for the etape Caledonia so he has laid claim to some of May already!

Lins - groups always fragment on club runs when the road goes up (some into millions of tiny little pieces if it's steep :lol: ), and everyone should wait at the top anyway. Attica, being the true gent that he is, would no doubt do this. And would have a big cake and cup of tea/coffee waiting for you when you reached the top. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:

...no pressure
    Hm...

I haven't done much of anything long distance in this neck of the woods, let alone plan a group ride, but I'll have a ponder. What sort of distances would you guys consider sane?

(puts thinking cap on)

You could try the Medio or Gran Fondo Cymru routes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."