Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    JonGinge wrote:
    Epic post BJUK. Chapeau and bravo, sir. And to all the intrepid SCR adventurers.

Cheers! I didn't realize how much I'd written until I hit Submit! I'm sure I missed some bits (like the photo op) but it all blurred and I think the rain and wind has caused some amnesia!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I see a theme here between Linsen and social rides:

a) Bad weather - with snow or ice being a common feature
    b) broken things
    IOW - Jen J
    Ashdown - well, nothing broken so much as the loss of will to live for a few hours
    Marlborough - my glasses

Hmm....... :(
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    I see a theme here between Linsen and social rides:

a) Bad weather - with snow or ice being a common feature
    b) broken things
    IOW - Jen J
    Ashdown - well, nothing broken so much as the loss of will to live for a few hours
    Marlborough - my glasses

Hmm....... :(

Salisbury to Winchester - my will and ability to climb hills :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    oh, and your inner tubes

I quit
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    oh, and your inner tubes

I quit

I suspect you might be a witch :lol:

"looks like rain" she says 30 secs later .... :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    Actually it was NOT me who said "looks like rain"

I was just there - seems that was enough.

If I hibernate and sell all my bikes, you will all have a FABULOUS summer
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    itboffin wrote:
    One final reminder for the day/night the Highclere sportive is the 7th June and once again in my neck of the woods, if you find yourself free come along, usual ITB hospitality applies I might even be so bold as to risk the BBQ.

I will be doing the CommuniCat and true to SCR form I'll be SSing :D

http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/

What's the CommuniCat like? I'm looking to do my first sportive, and it looks like good fun. Not entirely sure how fit I'll be by June, but it looks like a good day out. :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Go for the 77 miler! It's a great day out.

The lanes up behind Gilbey's, down and through to Dyffryn Gardens and off the A48 down to Peterston-super-Ely/Creigiau will give you a good feel for how lumpy the course can be.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    If the weather is not too bad tomorrow I'm planning on doing a trial run of the course nice and slow on the tourer and again on Thursday on the SS :twisted:

I've already done half of the full route twice and that was unpleasant in a pleasant way and Linsen, BoB & myself recent covered some of the lower section of the full route which was also hard work.

full route
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2676

communicat
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4865
  • Throlkim
    Don't think starting with the 77 miler would be wise. My daily commute is only 6 miles each way, and I haven't even received my road bike yet. :lol:
    From the looks of it there don't appear to be too many hills, which could make it a very enjoyable ride. I'm fairly used to undulating hills, as I'm from Oxfordshire. Can't go anywhere without it always being some sort of small incline. :D

How easy is it to reach the castle or a local camp site from the nearest train station? If I attend, I'll probably have to cycle there.
  • itboffin
    Throlkim wrote:
    Don't think starting with the 77 miler would be wise. My daily commute is only 6 miles each way, and I haven't even received my road bike yet. :lol:
    From the looks of it there don't appear to be too many hills, which could make it a very enjoyable ride. I'm fairly used to undulating hills, as I'm from Oxfordshire. Can't go anywhere without it always being some sort of small incline. :D

How easy is it to reach the castle or a local camp site from the nearest train station? If I attend, I'll probably have to cycle there.

Plenty of train stations not to fair away, Hungerford & Newbury etc etc the Communicat is 46 miles and trust me there's a few hills :wink:

But it will be fun.
  • Throlkim
    I'll definitely have a look into doing it, it sounds like a great day. Any idea if you can register on the day and what time it starts? I'm trying to think about how to get down there, and whether I'd camp the night before or just get a train down earlier in the morning on the day.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Throlkim wrote:
    I'll definitely have a look into doing it, it sounds like a great day. Any idea if you can register on the day and what time it starts? I'm trying to think about how to get down there, and whether I'd camp the night before or just get a train down earlier in the morning on the day.

It's a very popular sportive, so enter well before the event. Start is about 8am. I left SW London at 6am to allow enough time to set bike up/chat/general faffing. Travelling the night before would be better.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hey guys - guess what turned up this am - if I'd known it was going to take this long I'd have ordered it direct from Pendle and picked it up on my way back from Scotland :x

http://legacy2.pendle-bike.co.uk/nullde ... 0on%20Rack
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    If the weather is not too bad tomorrow I'm planning on doing a trial run of the course nice and slow on the tourer and again on Thursday on the SS :twisted:

I've already done half of the full route twice and that was unpleasant in a pleasant way and Linsen, BoB & myself recent covered some of the lower section of the full route which was also hard work.

full route
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2676

communicat
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4865

I just couldn't be arsed today the weather was so dull I just turned left down one of the lanes and kept doing that all afternoon, SLOWEST ride i've ever done, I even stopped to chat with random people on the street :shock:

I'm from London don't you know...!? we don't talk to strangers :D
  • itboffin
    Nice! I have a puncture as well, good O top day so far :(
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

You are a p*ncture magnet. Amazed you got through Sunday without one.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

You are a p*ncture magnet. Amazed you got through Sunday without one.

i think the amazing thing is given the amount of road we had I managed to ride my fecking narrow tyre over a tiny shard of glass!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    I kinda expected it today I took the bike almost off road completely filling the gap between the mud guards and the tyre, thankfully it was a sloooooow one that I only noticed after I went back to the 'workshop' :wink:

avg speed 13mph max 26mph total 33miles DULL DULL DULL grey DULL :(
  • linsen
    Tomorrow, once I have escaped the horrors of "town" to buy a few necessaries I am going to cycle to the New Forest with a map. I am not going to look at it until I am halfway through my time allowance then I am going to try to find my way home.

Wish me luck :shock:
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Tomorrow, once I have escaped the horrors of "town" to buy a few necessaries I am going to cycle to the New Forest with a map. I am not going to look at it until I am halfway through my time allowance then I am going to try to find my way home.

Good luck, leave a trail of bread crumbs that never fails :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Good luck, leave a trail of bread crumbs that never fails :lol:

Or get a get a get a Garmin.

Enjoy; I'm not jealous, at all.
    t :?
  • Jay dubbleU
    What's the procedure if we don't hear from you again - I suggest string rather than breadcrumbs - birds you know! 8)
  • itboffin
    If you have a nokia phone and a suitable data contract you could track your progress in real-time uploading pictures as you go, that would really put the boot in :twisted:
  • linsen
    right.

I do not have a Garmin - I considered one but I think that sat navs, along with lots of other technology, are fairly disempowering (discuss)

So that goes for the sports tracker thing too.....

As for the procedure if you don't hear from me again - just breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the break ......
  • itboffin
    edited March 2009
    linsen wrote:
    right.

I do not have a Garmin - I considered one but I think that sat navs, along with lots of other technology, are fairly disempowering (discuss)

As for the procedure if you don't hear from me again - just breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the break ......

Blasphemer :D

You're taking the SS right?

Edit: I missed a trick, so if campy made a GPS would it be better than Shimano ? :lol:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    linsen wrote:
    right.

But who will take your place on the social rides and bring the PF, rain, snow and high winds with them ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:
    right.

But who will take your place on the social rides and bring the PF, rain, snow and high winds with them ;-)

Oh bugg*r off and find another scapegoat :roll:

:wink:
  • linsen
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    right.

Blasphemer :D

You're taking the SS right?

Edit: I missed a trick, so if campy made a GPS would it be better than Shimano ? :lol:

you would advise I take the SS, would you? I did take it out for a spin earlier - still alive but not sure the tyres are up for more than a mile :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Enjoy Linsen - GPS is not the answer to everything - I still don't carry one in the hills - map and compass have always worked for me 8)