Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Jen J wrote:
    Hello :D

First full day back in the ofice today, so my lurking will be considerably limited from now on.

Shoulder is much better, but I'm still a few weeks away from getting on a bike.

I'm hoping to start running soon, as in mid-March, I'm running the 95 mile WHW in 3 days :shock:

I may need to do some training beforehand...

I'm walking parts of the WHW in a week at the end of Feb - just hope I'm able to get back on the bike in time for the Marlborough Loop :mrgreen:
  • Jen J wrote:
    Hello :D

First full day back in the ofice today, so my lurking will be considerably limited from now on.

Shoulder is much better, but I'm still a few weeks away from getting on a bike.

I'm hoping to start running soon, as in mid-March, I'm running the 95 mile WHW in 3 days :shock:

I may need to do some training beforehand...

Yeah, you might... :shock:

Glad to hear you're on the mend, and you can follow me on twitter but I doubt I'll ever say anything interesting! :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hola, Jen! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

WHM? :shock: How the hell do you train for that? Do you run to Brighton for fish and chips and get the train back or something? :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Hola, Jen! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

WHM? :shock: How the hell do you train for that? Do you run to Brighton for fish and chips and get the train back or something? :shock:

:lol: :shock:

I haven't even done a 95 mile cycle ride before let alone run it! Just to echo the previous posts on here tho, glad to hear your on the mend Jen :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I popped out for a little tootle on the tourer this morning which turned into a 35 mile sight seeing trip, arh bliss even if I did get wet feet and had to retention my new gear cable half way.

DT shifters are great :lol: shame my GPS device decided to auto pause half way round :cry: oh well perhaps i'll do it again tomorrow :D

With added pictures http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=675030

mooooo!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    How dare they....!!!

This months cycingweekly have an article on HOTA in which they say...
    extended spells of horizontal snow blizzards from mid-morning on. luckily, the snow did not settle or freeze on the roads

WTF
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    How dare they....!!!

This months cycingweekly have an article on HOTA in which they say...
    extended spells of horizontal snow blizzards from mid-morning on. luckily, the snow did not settle or freeze on the roads

WTF
    Yeah, I saw that. I thought WTF, too. They probably started early doors and missed the worst of it.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Never fear a picture is in the post to CW - b*st*rds :P
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Marlborough Loop - what is it and where?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Marlborough Loop - what is it and where?

8th of March start/end from my house :wink: fun ride, no one gets left behind although there are plenty of sprints and sharp hills for those so inclined, stunning countryside the whole way with an amazing pub lunch and far to many white horse to count.

As I already mentioned there's plenty of crash space at Château ITB and anyone who'd like to come the night b4 is more than welcome.

Drinks will be served :wink:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    |Am hoping to come, ITB et al!
  • itboffin
    excellent :D
  • cjcp
    DD - good to meet you yesterday, and chapeau for making the trip down to RP 8). Jon and I did a couple more laps, but still came in well under your mileage.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    DD - good to meet you yesterday, and chapeau for making the trip down to RP 8). Jon and I did a couple more laps, but still came in well under your mileage.

I hope you've all posted your times :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12603098

I don't want to stay at the bottom of the list :(
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I hope you've all posted your times :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12603098

I don't want to stay at the bottom of the list :(

Nah, they wouldn't be valid as we had a coffee stop after lap two. May try it one morning* this week if the weather holds.

*My legs are never very good in the morning, so breaking 60 mins would be a considerable achievement.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm hoping to try and come along for the Marlborough loop, still haggling with the missus over it as it's looking like a full day out ;-) Might have to book the Monday off work to appease her!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I'm hoping to try and come along for the Marlborough loop, still haggling with the missus over it as it's looking like a full day out ;-) Might have to book the Monday off work to appease her!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I did one lap on my own on saturday, hated every second of it, was almost sick afterwards, and still didn't break 22 minutes! Man, where has all that fitness gone. Damn you, Xmas.
  • as i normally tend to head out to RP after a lazy sunday morning tends to be fairly busy so i spend a fair time free wheeling behind cars, and to be honest i tend to stop to have a coffee, when it's light early ie 5am or so i might go and have blast, but at the moment i' just chill around the park as it's just too busy for much else.
  • itboffin
    *** I've found the perfect road ***

Whilst out and about today I took the back back back route from my house to Salisbury taking one of the roads right through Salisbury Plain (see pic) and what a shock nay delight 10 miles of almost complete traffic free glass smooth rolling road, no traffic lights, crossings, people (almost) cars, okay so there were several dozen tanks and helicopters BUT wow I didn't think there were any road left like this.

10 miles !!!!! :D:lol:

I'm pretty tired now, legs killing me, big smile still on face, shame my car broke down on the way home :( - guess I'll have to cycle :D

3284695543_d875c967b9_b.jpg
  • cjcp
    Through Salisbury Plain you say? And no cars for 10 miles? This has nothing to do with tanks blasting the countryside to kingdom come in that area, does it? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • oooh where be this road? would you be inculding this in your Marlborough loop?

if i get time i might gate crass if you don't mind, lovely area and be nice to put some faces to some usernames, the chances of me getting to central london for a drinky is rather low, somewhere nr zero infact.
  • itboffin
    oooh where be this road? would you be inculding this in your Marlborough loop?

if i get time i might gate crass if you don't mind, lovely area and be nice to put some faces to some usernames, the chances of me getting to central london for a drinky is rather low, somewhere nr zero infact.

You'd be more than welcome and NO i'm afraid this road is MINE all mine :D
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Through Salisbury Plain you say? And no cars for 10 miles? This has nothing to do with tanks blasting the countryside to kingdom come in that area, does it? :)

It was great fun watching the Apache helicopters target practise and later a line of tanks appear from the woods, next time I'm out that way I'll take some pics of the very serious looking warning signs.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

It was great fun watching the Apache helicopters target practise and later a line of tanks appear from the woods, next time I'm out that way I'll take some pics of the very serious looking warning signs.

You mean the the tanks, gunships and mushroom clouds don't give enough of a warning? :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    :lol:

Oddest of all was the green portoloo in the middle of the plain, in the live firing area :shock:

Doesn't matter how much you needed to go :lol:
  • itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

i love the tank crossings, one would think a tank it's self wouldn't need a warning being big heavy and loud...

well done on the rd by way having a play with bikely i can get some low traffic routes but by and by the large they tend to need to cross though villages or small towns at some point, they also tend to mean hilly at least the area i was born in any way, as most folk with cars don't like to drive them.
  • ITB - That road looks epic! I would have serious relationship issues if I lived near anything like that as I'd be out on it all day! It was one of the first times last night that I remembered just how nice it is to ride without noise when I hit some backroads in town and just had the noise of my tyres rolling on the road and the occasionally clicking of my freewheel!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Yep that road is amazing, it's so smooth I imagine that's what an outdoor track is like, actually after checking bikehike and my gps it's a pretty rolling stretch + 1 or 2 sharp climbs but I really didn't notice that how good it is.

Well if anyone who's come down for the Marlborough loop would like to hang around I could be tempted to allow LIMITED use of my road :wink: