Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    For the March SCR Marlborough outing which dates would you prefer?

1. Sunday 1st March
    2. Saturday 7th March
    3. Sunday 8th March

2 or 3 please, I'm booked in to the Mad march Hare on the 1st, obviously if there's a clash I will opt for the social ride though, far better company to be had.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

1. Sunday 1st March
    2. Saturday 7th March
    3. Sunday 8th March

Sunday 8th would suit best.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Here are some in Belgium:

http://www.cyclosport.org/search.aspx?d ... =5&search=

But there's also Paris-Roubaix next year...

Oooh thanks! I'll check them out...
  • itboffin wrote:

1. Sunday 1st March
    2. Saturday 7th March
    3. Sunday 8th March

Sunday 8th would suit best.

Actually me too, having consulted my diary more carefully!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    To be honest the 8th suits me better too what with my busy work schedule and all that :roll:

So 8th it is, hope that does exclude you linsen or anyone else for that matter.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    To be honest the 8th suits me better too what with my busy work schedule and all that :roll:

Hoping that's a typo.....

May well arm wrestle BoB for this, but I expect our household will be represented......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

May well arm wrestle BoB for this, but I expect our household will be represented......

er yeh of course :oops: this techno stuff is all a bit confusing at my age - shut it Greg66

@linsen why don't you both come along?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

er yeh of course :oops: this techno stuff is all a bit confusing at my age - shut it Greg66

@linsen why don't you both come along?

Because we have children......
  • itboffin
    Time to let them go!, they've had a good run :P

:lol:

I'm such a great parent me :roll:
  • attica
    edited February 2009
    cjcp wrote:
    Was chatting to Attica yesterday about the Cheddar Gorge 100 in Sept/October. Might well be up for this.

Looks like it'll be a while before entries open, but the website is here

@DDD and all "hill-o-phobes" the first 60 miles (or short route) is VERY VERY flat (Somerset Levels anyone)with a short climb or two toward the end, it would make an ideal first sportive in that respect, you return to the start and then start the hillly bits for the following 40 miles.

It's two loops so you could even enter the 100 mile route safe in the knowledge that if you're having a very bad day you can bail out at 60 miles and not do the 3 big hills.

If anyone is interested in a taster I was contemplating using the last 40 miles as a social ride, 3 very different hills with a pub at the start/finish for a hearty lunch. Late March/early April social ride anyone?

EDIT forgot to mention High Ham Hill at about 35 kilometres in, it's actually not that bad and will be the work of a moment, promise.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Hmm...........the Cheddar Gorge one looks good! I can remember going past there in the car on the A3 for the first time and almost crashed as I was so amazed at the beauty of it (one of the few things I miss about being a field engineer is driving around down there!)

I'm still seeking approval from the other half for all this time out doing "my thing" as she'll need to do the parent thing during time that I should be spending with her and them :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    I'm impressed that you could see it from the A3.

It'd be great to have you along though.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    I'm impressed that you could see it from the A3.

It'd be great to have you along though.

My bad, just did a quick check and it wasn't Cheddar Gorge! It was actually the Devils Punch Bowl :-) I blame it on being rather late!

The wife's nan lived down in Somerset and she has been there so I assume I got confused :-) Doesn't look promising for my attendance tho...........maybe I should just go find a solicitors and get the papers drawn up ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Attica wrote:

If anyone is interested in a taster I was contemplating using the last 40 miles as a social ride, 3 very different hills with a pub at the start/finish for a hearty lunch. Late March/early April social ride anyone?

I'd be up for that, but early april please... I'm in oz 15th-31st March...

Maybe the second weekend in april?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Would like to come on the Marlborough run but the Giant is not exactly a road bike and the furthest I've done up to now is about 30miles - I'm in Scotland end Feb but should be back in time for the 8th :roll:
  • itboffin
    You'll be fine i've done the route on my single speed and my hybrid - it's not a race, its a fun and social day out on the bike.

Although there will of course be the odd hill and sprint sections for those with the energy :wink:
  • il_principe
    Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Was chatting to Attica yesterday about the Cheddar Gorge 100 in Sept/October. Might well be up for this.

Looks like it'll be a while before entries open, but the website is here

@DDD and all "hill-o-phobes" the first 60 miles (or short route) is VERY VERY flat (Somerset Levels anyone)with a short climb or two toward the end, it would make an ideal first sportive in that respect, you return to the start and then start the hillly bits for the following 40 miles.

It's two loops so you could even enter the 100 mile route safe in the knowledge that if you're having a very bad day you can bail out at 60 miles and not do the 3 big hills.

EDIT forgot to mention High Ham Hill at about 35 kilometres in, it's actually not that bad and will be the work of a moment, promise.

Sounds good to me - taster and Sportive... are there any decent B&B's around that neck of the woods Attica?
  • attica
    Sounds good to me - taster and Sportive... are there any decent B&B's around that neck of the woods Attica?

I should think I could find one that whilst not necessarily cheap would represent excellent value for money - a floor or a spare room with breakfast thrown in, all gratis at Chez Attica.

Compact but Bijou Mostyn
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    Attica wrote:

I should think I could find one that whilst not necessarily cheap would represent excellent value for money - a floor or a spare room with breakfast thrown in, all gratis at Chez Attica.

Compact but Bijou Mostyn

Very kind of you old chap!
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:

Compact but Bijou Mostyn

Very kind of you old chap!

I'd check what he wants in return :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    You'll be fine i've done the route on my single speed and my hybrid - it's not a race, its a fun and social day out on the bike.

Although there will of course be the odd hill and sprint sections for those with the energy :wink:

Fine - count me in 8)
  • linsen
    Right then I am waiting for ITB to get back to me but I am proposing a sneaky little midweek outing on 26th February - a Thursday (my day off). I've ended up at work the last two so if I don't take some action I will end up full time on a part time wage and that will never do!

So - ITB has come up with a lovely route, and I know a very nice pub for lunch so if you fancy, we will meet near Salisbury at around 9.30am.

Tempted? Are you?
    :D
  • itboffin
    Sounds like fun to me, I did mention the 3300 ft of ascent didn't I :lol:
  • linsen
    Is that all? :wink:
  • itboffin
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=4090

What's happened to Jen these days?
  • linsen
    She's lurking
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    She's lurking

Have you or anyone for that matter heard anything about the progress of her injured shoulder?
  • linsen
    Yes - no big surgery necessary, poss keyhole later to shave the bone so all in all she is getting better!
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Hello :D

First full day back in the ofice today, so my lurking will be considerably limited from now on.

Shoulder is much better, but I'm still a few weeks away from getting on a bike.

I'm hoping to start running soon, as in mid-March, I'm running the 95 mile WHW in 3 days :shock:

I may need to do some training beforehand...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    Hello :D

First full day back in the ofice today, so my lurking will be considerably limited from now on.

Shoulder is much better, but I'm still a few weeks away from getting on a bike.

I'm hoping to start running soon, as in mid-March, I'm running the 95 mile WHW in 3 days :shock:

I may need to do some training beforehand...

Good luck Jen, how's that lovely Trek of your? it must be screaming to get outside.