Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Good god DDD, that's dreadful! I hereby confine you to doing nothing more strenuous than playing X-Box...

Good luck kids. Don't have any accidents.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    No probs DDD, sounds like you need a rest! BTW - Check ur FB messages!

I've been looking very carefully at the weather and the impeding snow storms are lookng rather worrying

Having said that it looks like they aren't due until Sunday evening, so I've suggested to my m8 that we head south and do a loop from Croydon down to Hooley, I don't want to do anything to strenuous as he's still building up fitness!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'll spare a thought for you lot. I intend to spend Sunday am on the turbo trainer and the afternoon on front of the footie. This enforced rest can't be doing your sprint challenge training any good DDD! Bad luck fella, heal the fcuk up soon. :D
  • if i do go out it will to be swinley forest where there is coffee etc close at hand and bike is happy in snow and ice, being a) a MTB and B) having mud tires.
  • Trekked from Chinngyford :D to Finsbury park and did a few laps of that this morning / afternoon before going to the cafe and refuelling with a massive slice of carrot cake and a coffee and going home via a major detour. Thoroughly enjoyed but couldn't work out the terrible noise whenever I applied the back brake. Since discovered that both pads had become a rubber free zone - :oops: trip to the LBS shortly then...

While Finsbury park is nothing like RP the hills in the wind were still a pain. Only managed to do the final lap through a combination of not wanting my mate to beat me and the hope (ultimately unfulfilled) of seeing the young lady who was jogging in a most snug fitting pair of grey 3/4 trackkie bottoms :D :twisted: :oops: :roll: !
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • ...Thoroughly enjoyed but couldn't work out the terrible noise whenever I applied the back brake. Since discovered that both pads had become a rubber free zone - :oops: trip to the LBS shortly then...

Got new brake pads but flip my mechanical incompetence if I can't get the blasted things on! The worn pads were obviously like a McAwful's cheese buirger to the double big mac of the new pads. I've moved washers around etc but can't even get the quick release back on :evil: :x I'm sure I'll find a youtube video that shows me how - just a problem stretching the computer screen outside as the bike is banned from the house :roll:

Half better - had to take the Ribble down to the LBS to get the new brake pads so got some time on the road bike. Fit still not right. Raised saddle and moved it back again and will see if I just had to get used to the position - the one good thing was that I now had the clearance and space to get the saddle-bag on :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This enforced rest can't be doing your sprint challenge training any good DDD! Bad luck fella, heal the fcuk up soon. :D

Ah shoot, I forgot about that. I need to get myself sorted, organised and training... I don't want to loose that badly... :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    WEATHER & EVENT INFO Please check the weather report at www.bbc.co.uk/weather - Snow is NOT forecast - All entries are obviously at the riders own risk and you should check the road conditions prior to commencing the ride.

Need I say more...?

3245585552_95cb7dc207.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Well done, guys, for having enough motivation to even get out of bed on a day like this. I haven't left the house all day.

How long did it take you?
  • itboffin
    Coriander wrote:
    Well done, guys, for having enough motivation to even get out of bed on a day like this. I haven't left the house all day.

How long did it take you?

5hr 30min total time, food stops, photos, de-icing, heart attacks, moving time 4hr 30mins so not bad at all given the weather :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I dunno, that bit looks pretty flat to me... ;)

Seriously well done guys!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    itboffin, it looks as though you had a later start, luckily it wasn't that bad when I was riding, one benefit of having an early start.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @SBezza - yep, that would have been around 1-2pm. We started 10.20 onwards.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Well done on the ride, that is a rediculous amount of snow to be riding slicks on!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    I just cleaned the bike (using snow) after yesterdays outing and found a 1cm slash is the new rear tyre, how lucky was I not to puncture or rip the tyre completely :shock:

The roads we're pretty rough in places even before the snow.
  • cjcp
    Was chatting to Attica yestedray about the Cheddar Gorge 100 in Sept/October. Might well be up for this.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    +1 that's a great ride and loads of time to prepare.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    cjcp wrote:
    Was chatting to Attica yestedray about the Cheddar Gorge 100 in Sept/October. Might well be up for this.

I not. It has a hill or two :shock:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone up for one of these on the 7th June?
    73km / 46mile CommuniCat - designed for first time sportive and aspiring leisure cyclists

Bassjunkie informed me about this.

I've never done a Sportive before and can't remember the last time I've spent an extended period in the saddle.

What would I need to do to get fit/good enough to do this? How does one enter (any online information?)

*Note* Sorry Bass, the 77miler does look tempting but my lack of experience is putting me off...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    DDD - take heart

I took up cycling on a road bike in late April last year and HOTA was my first sportive.

Would suggest a tamer one to start with personally :shock:

I just made sure I got some long rides in my legs beforehand and had tackled some horrid hills and I survived the ordeal.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone up for one of these on the 7th June?
    73km / 46mile CommuniCat - designed for first time sportive and aspiring leisure cyclists

Bassjunkie informed me about this.

I've never done a Sportive before and can't remember the last time I've spent an extended period in the saddle.

What would I need to do to get fit/good enough to do this? How does one enter (any online information?)

*Note* Sorry Bass, the 77miler does look tempting but my lack of experience is putting me off...

NP matey your daily commute will be more than enough, I fully intended this as a leisure ride esp. as its the week before the Dragon ride :shock:

Go here to enter http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/index.php?main=register
  • itboffin
    For the March SCR Marlborough outing which dates would you prefer?

1. Sunday 1st March
    2. Saturday 7th March
    3. Sunday 8th March
  • linsen
    For me Sunday 1st would be best
  • Ooooooh tricky... will I be cycling properly by then or not?? Let's say yes for now. :)

Any of those dates works for me, sundays probably better than saturdays...
  • cjcp
    About to send my cheque off for Flanders and my place will be booked! :D:D:D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Flanders?? What's that then?
  • cjcp
    This:

http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondevanvlaanderen/

It's brilliant. Cobbles, possibly inclement weather, but, best of all, Belgian beer.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    This:

http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondevanvlaanderen/

It's brilliant. Cobbles, possibly inclement weather, but, best of all, Belgian beer.

Bah. It's the saturday after I get back from Australia, I don't think I'll be coherent enough for a sportive!

Looks great though! I am becoming a little obsessed with going somewhere in holland/belgium...
  • cjcp
    Here are some in Belgium:

http://www.cyclosport.org/search.aspx?d ... =5&search=

But there's also Paris-Roubaix next year...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."