Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I'm officially resigning from all social rides :(

Once I can train again, even asuming I get some confidence on the bike back, I need to focus on the distance running again (since I've pulled out of double iron, I've entered even more long running races) so I'm not going to have much time for the bike...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone up for one of these on the 7th June?

202km / 126mile MagnifiCat - big challenge for experienced and competitive cyclists
    123km / 77mile Route77Cat - intermediate challenge for experienced and club cyclists
    73km / 46mile CommuniCat - designed for first time sportive and aspiring leisure cyclists

Highclere is a great event. Weather was fantastic last year. And great hot dogs and burgers are sold at the finishing line, which you'll make very short work of.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone up for one of these on the 7th June?

202km / 126mile MagnifiCat - big challenge for experienced and competitive cyclists
    123km / 77mile Route77Cat - intermediate challenge for experienced and club cyclists
    73km / 46mile CommuniCat - designed for first time sportive and aspiring leisure cyclists

Highclere is a great event. Weather was fantastic last year. And great hot dogs and burgers are sold at the finishing line, which you'll make very short work of.

and its 10 miles from my house :wink:

@Jen tut tut - now what will you do with that lovely new bike ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's the week before the Dragon so I can't make it this year.
  • cjcp

Not with you. You know what's coming...

M.

T. F.

U.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

M.

T. F.

U.

It's not a case of MTFU, it's more a case of:

a: not wanting to hire a car 2 weeks running
    b: not wanting to upset the missus with consecutive weekend absences (I know, MTFU)

This is the one time that not owning a car becomes v annoying. I hate hire cars and I hate paying through the nose for them.
  • cjcp wrote:

M.

T. F.

U.

b: not wanting to upset the missus with consecutive weekend absences (I know, MTFU)

This is the one time that not owning a car becomes v annoying. I hate hire cars and I hate paying through the nose for them.

I meant it when I said you could borrow my estate - after all I don't need it all the time, and I have other vehicles at my disposal!
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

M.

T. F.

U.

I meant it when I said you could borrow my estate - after all I don't need it all the time, and I have other vehicles at my disposal!

I'd forgotten about this generous offer, God I must have been v drunk on friday! May have to take you up on this at some point. Cheers!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Your country estate?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Hmm, that Highclere one looks interesting...........I know I should MTFU and do the 126 miler but I really doubt I'd have to time to train for that so the 77 would have to be my choice.
    I'll definitely broach this with the fair missus, handy as there is the kiddie ride and I might even be able to wangle it so the father-in-law can meet us there (he lives near Malvern, a fair distance but he doesn't see the grand-kids that often!) to help look after/entertain them whilst I flog myself silly on the course for 4-5 hours :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino wrote:
    Your country estate?

Shut it Blondie... my Saab estate.

:lol:
  • itboffin
    Hmm, that Highclere one looks interesting...........I know I should MTFU and do the 126 miler but I really doubt I'd have to time to train for that so the 77 would have to be my choice.
    I'll definitely broach this with the fair missus, handy as there is the kiddie ride and I might even be able to wangle it so the father-in-law can meet us there (he lives near Malvern, a fair distance but he doesn't see the grand-kids that often!) to help look after/entertain them whilst I flog myself silly on the course for 4-5 hours :-D

Cool but it shouldn't take you 4-5hrs to do 77 miles not that course anyways

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hi ... mile-124km
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Just mentioned this ride to the wife............positive sounds atm :-) We're going to discuss it this evening :-D

My estimate of 4-5 hours was based on the approx 4 hours it took me (total riding time) to do the 58 mile Capital to Coast ride last year, with no proper training!
    As I have until June to prepare for this one (and the C2C ride 2 weeks after) it should mean that I can get myself in proper shape this year :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    I'm doing the shorter one as a warm up for 185km Dragon Ride the following week, nice n easy enjoy the view, besides I ride around that area pretty much 3-4 times a week ATM.

I might even go retro and use the Mercian tourer.
  • itboffin
    Not that i'm at all worried BUT.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html

Brrrrr chilly and windy, anyone care to bet it'll be icy headwinds all day?
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm doing the shorter one as a warm up for 185km Dragon Ride the following week, nice n easy enjoy the view, besides I ride around that area pretty much 3-4 times a week ATM.

I might even go retro and use the Mercian tourer.

See you at the Dragon I hope ITB.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    What do you expect when you do a ride so early in the season? Sun and 20+C temps???
    When you say your doing the shorter ride do you mean the 77 or the 46 miler?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    What do you expect when you do a ride so early in the season? Sun and 20+C temps???
    When you say your doing the shorter ride do you mean the 77 or the 46 miler?

46 miler what am I mental, i've posted my 44 miler Highclere route on bikehike this week, fun but hell of lot of hills more that the 100km HOTA in 2/3 distance, legs are hurting a little today.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    You sir are mad! I must say that I am rather jealous that you get to spend most of your days out on your bike in the middle of the countryside whilst I'm holed up in some stupid office in the middle of the city.........
    The 77 mile route on BH looks like good fun and should provide just the challenge I'm looking for! If/when I register I think I'll stick down "Team SCR" on the entry form to make it easy to spot us :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    You sir are mad! I must say that I am rather jealous that you get to spend most of your days out on your bike in the middle of the countryside whilst I'm holed up in some stupid office in the middle of the city.........
    The 77 mile route on BH looks like good fun and should provide just the challenge I'm looking for! If/when I register I think I'll stick down "Team SCR" on the entry form to make it easy to spot us :-)

+1 on the Team SCR
  • Bassjunkieuk
    The wife has just had a quick look over the Highclere site and asked why I don't want to attempt the Magnificat

I explained to her that doing a 126 will need some proper training and she didn't seem to annoyed :-) I guess I'll have to wait and see now..........

Also I might be heading over the RP this Sunday, with a m8 who hasn't ridden in AGES, I know most of you hardmen (and linsen!) are doing HOTA but if anyone else wants to join (calls DDD!) your more then welcome :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk

I hear the RP call, but the slopes of La Plagne have my name on them from saturday :D
    for a week, so I will not be joining you.

Have a good one

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • I'm going up to do the Etape Caledonia in May (17th). Anyone else entered that one?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Hmm, weather report for Sunday is now looking like possible snow :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Hmm, weather report for Sunday is now looking like possible snow :shock:

Yes that fact hadn't gone unnoticed :evil:
  • Hmm, weather report for Sunday is now looking like possible snow :shock:

Cheers BJUK. I'm remember to get some coalite and firewood in for Sunday .

Oh. That wasn't why you mentioned that, was it...

Oooops :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Did a test run this morning of the intended clothing for Sunday. Felt warm. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Just off for a half distance ride in full kit for the day which means I'm going to have to strip the bike and clean it AGAIN. :cry:

I HAVE A COLD :evil:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm thinking big gloves, my toasty espresso jacket. Really wanted to avoid using my neoprene overshoes but may have to. Boo
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    I HAVE A COLD :evil:
    Me too. Grr
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides