Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    any one know where the 25% bit in hell of ashdown is? i have a hill to beat which more than likely is a 30% plus peak, it has 5 nice arrows....

same hill i learnt to hill start on and walked back from school so i *must* beat it! the fact it's quicker to walk it is niether here nor there.

Somewhere in here (from the website - it's either the first or last climb. Which means you're either not warmed up or knackered when you do it. Which is terrific.)

Major Climbs
    Cudham Test Hill – New in 2009, this literally gives a short sharp shock in the first mile or so. Don’t worry if you have to walk the 1 in 4 stretch at the top because in any case we ask you to dismount to turn right at the T junction.
    Toys Hill – You'll need to settle in for this 2 mile steady grind.
    Hollow Lane (Dormansland) - Another 2 mile steady slog
    'The Wall' - This daunting climb was considered so hard that the Tour de France gave it a miss when the stage went over the Ashdown in 1994. On the Ordinance Survey map it’s steep enough to warrant a 'chevron' on two stretches. Although Kidds Hill is 1.5 miles long you will climb for a total of 2.5 miles to the summit of the Ashdown Forest at King's Standing.
    'Col de Groombridge' – We reckon this is more like a continental climb. Although Category 4 by TdeF standards its still a mile long Devil.
    Bayley's Hill – New in 2009 it replaces Ide Hill. We are not surprised if you've never heard of it because it's wisely shunned by those in the know. The quite lane starts on the low levels of the Weald of Kent and arduously toils up for about 2.5 miles, easy at first but it gets steeper until it rears up to crest the North Down’s Greensand Ridge.
    Star Hill – 'The sting in the tail'. This is the one everybody talks about as it is a vicious climb coming towards the end of a gruelling ride. .

I've just done an hour on the turbo. As a reward (be it for lasting an houror doing some exercise), I have a HUGE chicken and mushroom pie from the butcher's for tea. Get. In. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Meant to get into the park today to do 2-3hrs. Didn't, though. Got a cold and my legs ache. Great :x
    Still, been watching bits of the 2008 TDF on dvd and building up my planet-x. That's training, right?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Meant to get into the park today to do 2-3hrs. Didn't, though. Got a cold and my legs ache. Great :x
    Still, been watching bits of the 2008 TDF on dvd and building up my planet-x. That's training, right?

Rest is part and parcel of training. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Compact 34x26 packed and ready :shock:

You big jessy!

(To self: That's a very good idea. <He ponders calling International Rescue. Then starts searching furiously on Wiggle and Parker International for a compact>)

Ditto on the cassette mines currently 11-21T not a chance in hell with that, guess I better put the compact back on :?

Wiggle have a 14-25 or even a 16-27T which Shimano call 'junior' gears - like I care :lol:

@Jen - i've considered all manner of injuries & illness related excuses but typically i'm 100% healthy right now :cry:

I ditched the long distance planned ride today in favour of hill reps on the single speed, so little time, why didn't I train harder & longer :cry::cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Yeah, keep trying to tell myself that. I need to do the work part of the training, which is where it is all falling down. Work commitments mean a huge taper week before HOTA

I love my LBS :D Realised I didn't have a new-fangled spanner to fit an FSA external bearing BB so nipped down Prologue. They didn't have one in stock but said they'd do it for me. I returned with bike and they fitted the BB (easy job, I know) and cut the carbon steerer to size all for a fiver. Result :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Major Climbs
    Cudham Test Hill – New in 2009, this literally gives a short sharp shock in the first mile or so. Don’t worry if you have to walk the 1 in 4 stretch at the top because in any case we ask you to dismount to turn right at the T junction.
    'The Wall' - This daunting climb was considered so hard that the Tour de France gave it a miss when the stage went over the Ashdown in 1994. On the Ordinance Survey map it’s steep enough to warrant a 'chevron' on two stretches. Although Kidds Hill is 1.5 miles long you will climb for a total of 2.5 miles to the summit of the Ashdown Forest at King's Standing.
    'Col de Groombridge' – We reckon this is more like a continental climb. Although Category 4 by TdeF standards its still a mile long Devil.
    Bayley's Hill – New in 2009 it replaces Ide Hill. We are not surprised if you've never heard of it because it's wisely shunned by those in the know. The quite lane starts on the low levels of the Weald of Kent and arduously toils up for about 2.5 miles, easy at first but it gets steeper until it rears up to crest the North Down’s Greensand Ridge.
    Star Hill – 'The sting in the tail'. This is the one everybody talks about as it is a vicious climb coming towards the end of a gruelling ride. .

I feel so much better for that thanks, remind me again who's stupid idea was this :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    Major Climbs

I feel so much better for that thanks, remind me again who's stupid idea was this :evil:
    BURN HER, BURN HER

:lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    So panic has been replaced with fear and confusion :?

1. Which cassette option to go with, nice easy steps or super low gearing.
      12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25 231g 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27 239g Junior Cassettes 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25 256g 14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-23-25 276g

2. A fully loaded water bottle = almost 2lb x2

3. On a usual distance ride I carry every tool I could would or might need to get going again, is there any need in an organised event?

4. With all the climbing weight is going to be an issue, new tubes, skewers and rim tape will save 500g

5. What to wear and i'm not talking fashion here, hill climbing = hot hot hot but descents = cold
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Yeah, keep trying to tell myself that. I need to do the work part of the training, which is where it is all falling down. Work commitments mean a huge taper week before HOTA

I love my LBS :D Realised I didn't have a new-fangled spanner to fit an FSA external bearing BB so nipped down Prologue. They didn't have one in stock but said they'd do it for me. I returned with bike and they fitted the BB (easy job, I know) and cut the carbon steerer to size all for a fiver. Result :D

Which LBS? Holdsworth? Tidy service that. :D

I'm eyeing up the Ultegra 12/27 on Wiggle. I missed "The Wall" in the route description. I've been up 20% (perhaps a shade more) before, but not 25%. The mouse keeps hovering over it, but I just keep telling myself to MTFU (and save the money by not eating).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Which LBS? Holdsworth? Tidy service that. :D

I'm eyeing up the Ultegra 12/27 on Wiggle. I missed "The Wall" in the route description. I've been up 20% (perhaps a shade more) before, but not 25%. The mouse keeps hovering over it, but I just keep telling myself to MTFU (and save the money by not eating).
    Prologue Bikes in Sheen, five minutes walk away :D

In my yoof I almost got up Hardknott pass with a lowest gear of 42x18, almost but not quite: one of those 1 in 3 hairpins defeated me. I'm no longer 16 and need smaller gears occasionally ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    So panic has been replaced with fear and confusion :?

1. Which cassette option to go with, nice easy steps or super low gearing.
      12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25 231g 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27 239g Junior Cassettes 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25 256g 14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-23-25 276g

2. A fully loaded water bottle = almost 2lb x2

3. On a usual distance ride I carry every tool I could would or might need to get going again, is there any need in an organised event?

4. With all the climbing weight is going to be an issue, new tubes, skewers and rim tape will save 500g

5. What to wear and i'm not talking fashion here, hill climbing = hot hot hot but descents = cold

500g isn't going to be the thing which determines whether you get up or not. :lol: Hang on: skewers? The biggest factor will be your gearing. Why did you change from the compact to the double? :shock: If you're running a double, and you're concerned about the climbs, you're only option is the 12/27. Forget what's in the middle and look at the 999 sprocket.

Tools - take what you would on any long ride. I've got my allen key set, chain tool and spare links, hand pump, two tubes, tyre levers and puncture repair kit just in case, mobile phone.

You'll need to dress up warm. If you get hot, then you can unzip. I'm wearing a baselayer, maybe a club jeresey, but definitely my Gore Phantom Jacket, tights, bib shorts and overshoes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    You're all getting too technical and frightening me

I have gears but I know not what these numbers you speak of mean

I shall ride up the hill and if I can't turn the pedals any more I shall push

I will try to finish before the next day - preferably before bedtime the same day

I will hope someone has saved me a large piece of cake at the end

Job done :wink:

PS ITB you have no-one to blame but yourself
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ah - Linsen - sanity returns - glad your thinking of coming to Snowdonia - looks as though I won't be the only one walking up hills - and I know some excellent cafes :oops:
  • itboffin
    cjcp

I hate the spinning when in the 34 and cruising all day in 50 is not an option, admittedly the hills are easier with the 34.

if I run 50/34T ~ 11-21 cassette my lowest GI is 42.5
    at with the 52/39T ~ 12-25 cassette my lowest GI is 41

Hopefully i'll be able to try both before the event and then realise I need a triple and the 12-27 ;)
  • cjcp wrote:
    any one know where the 25% bit in hell of ashdown is? i have a hill to beat which more than likely is a 30% plus peak, it has 5 nice arrows....

same hill i learnt to hill start on and walked back from school so i *must* beat it! the fact it's quicker to walk it is niether here nor there.

Somewhere in here (from the website - it's either the first or last climb. Which means you're either not warmed up or knackered when you do it. Which is terrific.)

Major Climbs

I've just done an hour on the turbo. As a reward (be it for lasting an houror doing some exercise), I have a HUGE chicken and mushroom pie from the butcher's for tea. Get. In. :D

looks like it's the first one looking at the map and website it's "only" a peak sounds fun! i may give it a visit at some point in prep for beating the hill to my folks place.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Although I'm not entered for this one (thankfully by the look of things!) I've just had a look on at the route details and managed to find the first big climb as well as "The Wall"

Certainly looks like fun..........might try and get on it next year, will be an excellent excuse to get plenty of riding, er sorry "training", in between now and then :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Has anyone else noticed that the data in the 110k GPX file is only 4000ft ish yet they claim 6600ft on the website, is that a balls up or some kind of sick joke.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp

I hate the spinning when in the 34 and cruising all day in 50 is not an option, admittedly the hills are easier with the 34.

if I run 50/34T ~ 11-21 cassette my lowest GI is 42.5
    at with the 52/39T ~ 12-25 cassette my lowest GI is 41

Hopefully i'll be able to try both before the event and then realise I need a triple and the 12-27 ;)

Use the 12/27 with the compact. Think of the hills.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that the data in the 110k GPX file is only 4000ft ish yet they claim 6600ft on the website, is that a balls up or some kind of sick joke.

Nope, because I'm not a spod. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I have to know the facts, doesn't help that every online route software shows different results. bikely bikehike mapmyroute and trailrunner all different by hundreds of feet.

I need FACTS - show me the FACTS
  • itboffin wrote:
    I have to know the facts, doesn't help that every online route software shows different results. bikely bikehike mapmyroute and trailrunner all different by hundreds of feet.

sadly almost every way you measure, seems to give differnent results. bikely/google maps will claim downhill blips on uphills...

even OS is not perfect, fairly close though...
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Some FACTS for you:

1. It's got "Hell" in the event name;
    2. There's a climb called "The Wall";
    3. There's a picture of the Devil on the event's website;
    4. The first climb is a 1 in 4.

Thus, assume the event will be challenging and stop looking at your gadgets!! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    According to this, it won't be balmy...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

What are you talking about man, cloudy but 7 degrees with no wind, perfect weather surely.

Glad my starting time is 10:20 cause if there's any ice it's going to be a blood bath.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

What are you talking about man, cloudy but 7 degrees with no wind, perfect weather surely.

Glad my starting time is 10:20 cause if there's any ice it's going to be a blood bath.

Are you looking at Saturday?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Are you looking at Saturday?
    I checked metcheck yesterday and it showed 30mm of rain during our ride time and 25-30mph winds. Looks a bit better on there now. We'll see... I'll be taking a rain jacket and the big neoprene overshoes, though ;)

Just thinking Chris, coz Jen isn't riding we may be able to blag you into the 10:20 group
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I, however, do have an element of spoddiness. The route only contains ~415 data points so that's only just over 6 per mile. The route ascent/descent totals are going to be underestimates but by over a third is surprising. Again, we'll see on ride day
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Just thinking Chris, coz Jen isn't riding we may be able to blag you into the 10:20 group

Good thinking. I'll email the organisers to make sure it's ok - wouldn't want to b*ugger things up for them.

Overshoes here too. The Gore jacket should take care of the rain, as well as the wind. <he hopes>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I, however, do have an element of spoddiness. The route only contains ~415 data points so that's only just over 6 per mile. The route ascent/descent totals are going to be underestimates but by over a third is surprising. Again, we'll see on ride day

Only an "element", you say... :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Okay that's a step to far even for me. :lol: