Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    itboffin wrote:
    Elganesh wrote:
    Reading this has made me miss how much I miss living in Streatham and working in Wimbledon. Maybe I should move back... oh well, too late now. I'll just have to tag along if ever I'm in the big smoke again.

I believe we're planning a N.Wales SCR sportive trip sometime this year.

PS. My single speed bike came from Mold :wink:

Sounds good, I'll look forward to it. In the meantime I need to get more miles under me for the Cheshire Cat
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Is there a ride planned for this weekend at RP and if so what time? I'm only asking now so I can start sounding out the wife about attending, however I think I'd need a fairly early start and possibly only a few laps unless I can find a way to off load the monsters onto someone else!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Is there a ride planned for this weekend at RP and if so what time? I'm only asking now so I can start sounding out the wife about attending, however I think I'd need a fairly early start and possibly only a few laps unless I can find a way to off load the monsters onto someone else!

Not sure why don't you get one going but make sure that contact numbers are exchanged, I will not be in attendance this weekend, I'm still reeling from my s**t performance last Sunday.

In fact as penance i'm planning a 74mile ride tomorrow, planning,,,,!

Two half laps of my SCR March sportive route and hopefully will give me some idea of my ability to complete or not HOTA.

I'm concerned about my falling performance, my school run this morning was 9mph :? and I struggled with that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm concerned about my falling performance, my school run this morning was 9mph :? and I struggled with that.

Running at 9mph is really quite impressive, that would get you a very creditable sub-3 hour marathon :D

BJUK - plenty of people seem to have expressed an interest in RP this weekend, so why don't you just suggest a time that suits you and everyone else can just turn up.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    When was your last day off riding? Maybe you need a couple of recovery days.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Nah. He's just getting old. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Nah. He's just getting old. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Perhaps the prospect of being scalped by a girl in the HOTA might focus ITB's attentions a little? :wink:

PS ITB I think there is no real danger of that.....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    Very good :cry:

An appointment with the doctor is in order for a box of MTFU pills, pull yourself together man.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

I can't believe that you cheeky fcukers wait until I'm out of the bloody country to organise an RP ride! I'm up for one this weekend but given I have spent the last 6 days sunning myself, eating and drinking beer (mostly all at once) I'm not confident of my ability to move particularly quickly. This weekend heralds the start of 2009's training regime...

p.s it's bloody cold in England, been enjoying temps of 20degrees in Turkey, so depressing that there appear to be no roadies there at all (ok I saw 1) when the terrain is the perfect mix of coastal plains and fairly serious mountains.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

I can't believe that you cheeky fcukers wait until I'm out of the bloody country to organise an RP ride! I'm up for one this weekend but given I have spent the last 6 days sunning myself, eating and drinking beer (mostly all at once) I'm not confident of my ability to move particularly quickly.

Who_Ate_All_The_Pies.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    I can't believe that you cheeky fcukers wait until I'm out of the bloody country to organise an RP ride! I'm up for one this weekend but given I have spent the last 6 days sunning myself, eating and drinking beer (mostly all at once) I'm not confident of my ability to move particularly quickly. This weekend heralds the start of 2009's training regime...

Excuse me, the RP ride on the 18th was on the very first post of this thread. You had plenty of time to cancel your holiday :P

Welcome home.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

I can't believe that you cheeky fcukers wait until I'm out of the bloody country to organise an RP ride! I'm up for one this weekend but given I have spent the last 6 days sunning myself, eating and drinking beer (mostly all at once) I'm not confident of my ability to move particularly quickly.

Who_Ate_All_The_Pies.jpg

That facial expression is almost a perfect facsimile of mine when I realised I'd missed a ride.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Hello folks

Firstly, an apology to Jon and CJCP, I had committed to riding with you guys last Sunday and only remembered at 1.30...literally.

Although I was still pretty hungover from the night before so I would have been less than useless.

Since then I've been working on my form and will be in Richmond Park doing a fixed riding session with some of the guys from Londonfgss from 9.30 so if anyone fancies bringing along a fixed and joining us I'll be meeting them in the cafe car park i think.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • il_principe
    Littigator wrote:
    Hello folks

Firstly, an apology to Jon and CJCP, I had committed to riding with you guys last Sunday and only remembered at 1.30...literally.

Although I was still pretty hungover from the night before so I would have been less than useless.

Since then I've been working on my form and will be in Richmond Park doing a fixed riding session with some of the guys from Londonfgss from 9.30 so if anyone fancies bringing along a fixed and joining us I'll be meeting them in the cafe car park i think.

You still doing the Tweed ride Litts? I'm in I reckon. Anyone meeting up beforehand, I'm ashamed to say I've never been to a FGSS drink so know no one!
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    Hello folks

No worries, fella. Can't make this weekend - am looking after the youngest monster while the good lady and oldest go to EuroDisney.

What's this about you having no job? :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    yeah work is sooooo last season!

Got a few months in the pocket so time to get the riding skills up to scratch

• Littigator
    Littigator wrote:
    Hello folks

You still doing the Tweed ride Litts? I'm in I reckon. Anyone meeting up beforehand, I'm ashamed to say I've never been to a FGSS drink so know no one!

Indeed mate, I've popped some details on the SCR thread. Or PM me of ypou need any further info

• itboffin
    All hail ITB for I am the master of slowness ........

Just back from my first 100k ride (62miles in real money) and my legs fine, had I not forgotten my lights I would have pushed on to 100 miles, next time.

Not the worlds fastest time but still well under 4 hrs :D
  • itboffin
    I would like to add to my already MASSIVE list of pathetic excuses by saying my bottom bracket was done up tighter than a tight thing. :cry:

I hadn't noticed :oops:
  • itboffin
    ATTN: HOTA team SCR

You may have already seen this on the HOTA website but just in case you missed it.
    It certainly is a Challenge. Before they've even warmed up they face the1 in 4 Cudham 'Test Hill' followed by the long haul up Toys Hill and then Hollow Lane (Dormansland). On to the really Hellish test, the feared Kidds Hill, commonly known as 'The Wall', to the top of the Ashdown Forest at the halfway point. After a thrilling 5mile descent they scale Groombridge Hill followed by a brief respite before they toil up the long climb of Bayley's Hill to the crest of the North Downs ridge, one of the highest points in Kent. Finally there is the one they all dread, the sting in the tail - Star Hill. If you want to see a spectacle of 'Tour de France magnitude' then be there any time between 11.30am and 3.30pm and catch the long procession of tired riders straining up this strength sapping climb.

HELL of the ASHDOWN Challenge

distance 110km
    Alt. climbed 2,007m
    Max grade 25%

Mummy :shock:
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Max grade 25%

Ooo, crumbs, DM!.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Max grade 25%

Ooo, crumbs, DM!.

Like an idiot I downloaded last years results now either there's some mistakes on the times or some freaks did 100k in 2-2.5 hrs
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Max grade 25%

Ooo, crumbs, DM!.

Like an idiot I downloaded last years results now either there's some mistakes on the times or some freaks did 100k in 2-2.5 hrs
    Crikey.
    Compact 34x26 packed and ready :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    HELL of the ASHDOWN Challenge

distance 110km
    Alt. climbed 2,007m
    Max grade 25%

Mummy :shock:

Why do you think I oh so conveniently smashed my shoulder and had to pull out of this... :twisted:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Compact 34x26 packed and ready :shock:

You big jessy!

(To self: That's a very good idea. <He ponders calling International Rescue. Then starts searching furiously on Wiggle and Parker International for a compact>)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • i've just gone for tour of the black mountains, which may be very silly indeed!

on the other hand i grew up in the area and my folks still live in the area and from memory shouldn't be any thing at least i can think off that will be over 20% lucklly most of the nasty need 1st gear in car hills in that area would be difficult to get into a sportive route.
  • cjcp
    i've just gone for tour of the black mountains, which may be very silly indeed!

on the other hand i grew up in the area and my folks still live in the area and from memory shouldn't be any thing at least i can think off that will be over 20% lucklly most of the nasty need 1st gear in car hills in that area would be difficult to get into a sportive route.

Good man. Am doing this one too. It was that or the Devil Ride, but that was too soon after a holiday.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Max grade 25%

Ooo, crumbs, DM!.

I'm sticking to Euro Sportives - at least they have normal gradients!
    itboffin wrote:

Mmm worth alerting them (are the results looked after by Race Live?). I was looking at last years Dragon Ride results the other day and the results were totally screwed - they placed me in 700th place for the 120k ride when I actually finished 52nd. Dropped them an email and they sorted things out.
  • itboffin
    I will be doing my first 100 miler tomorrow bike permitting :?
  • any one know where the 25% bit in hell of ashdown is? i have a hill to beat which more than likely is a 30% plus peak, it has 5 nice arrows....

same hill i learnt to hill start on and walked back from school so i *must* beat it! the fact it's quicker to walk it is niether here nor there.