Morpeth Social Club

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dont let LiTs bully you into standing outside in the cold
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    itboffin wrote:
    dont let LiTs bully you into standing outside in the cold

People that desire to drink inside pubs are strange.

As for sitting down whilst drinking inside a pub, well, let's not go there.

Sitting on a bench outside the pub is acceptable.
  • So no sneaky tinnies tonight then - MORE tomorrow!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Tomorrow it is then - it's questionable as to whether my t'internet will be working tomorrow, so I'll just agree to meet you all when the hands are furthest apart.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Yep, I'm on for tomorrow. Hoping the weather will be nice - might do the slowcial windsor route on the newly cleaned Maxima!
  • itboffin
    I'm hoping to bring the TT but not sure where I can fix lights too :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Just tuck one in your pants/belt and hold the other in your teeth...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • itboffin
    TommyEss wrote:
    Just tuck one in your pants/belt and hold the other in your teeth...

So you saw me earlier in the week then doing just that on my CX, for 20 miles :shock:
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Is anybody invited / welcome along to these or is it a case of having to prove yourself with a bit of SCR along the Embankment first? :)

Had a pig of a week so far, could well be up for beverages tomorrow evening. May have to hide the bike before getting in though - Marin MTB with slicks doesn't seem to be the sort of bike you lot would be seen dead on!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Should be able to make my debut tomorrow, time?-ish?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • There's at least 2 other mtb's with slicks matey, more the merrier!
  • Most start arriving at 6:00-ish, shoot for 6:30 and there'll be a fair few!
  • itboffin
    Has anyone explained the initiation ceremony yet...?

you've all read the thread from the start, right?
  • I'm going to pop along tonight too for the first time. Any tips on how to find you all? Or will the lycra give it away?
  • Usually crowd down the back of the pub on the street away from embankment...

But yeah the no. of bikes + lycra will give it away :) Il Prince will be the exceptionally colour coded one - red + white.
  • Usually crowd down the back of the pub on the street away from embankment...

But yeah the no. of bikes + lycra will give it away :) Il Prince will be the exceptionally colour coded one - red + white.

Or shivering in the street if LiTs is there :wink:

Considering coming for one soft drink. Ahem.
  • After my first full week of riding to work in spite of largely self-inflicted mechanical problems, and more importantly my first proper scalp, I will also be going to the Morpeth for the first time.

Earlier this week I offered to buy a round to celebrate and I'm not backing down on that. Look for the big bloke in a Batman T-shirt, I'll aim to get there about 6:30. The password is:

"You are Unscarred, James Martin is a twunt, I claim my pint!"

Substitute pint for a glass of white wine or fruit based drink for the ladies :)

By the way, for the purposes of interacting in real life I also answer to John 8)
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • unscarred wrote:
    After my first full week of riding to work in spite of largely self-inflicted mechanical problems, and more importantly my first proper scalp, I will also be going to the Morpeth for the first time.

Earlier this week I offered to buy a round to celebrate and I'm not backing down on that. Look for the big bloke in a Batman T-shirt, I'll aim to get there about 6:30. The password is:

"You are Unscarred, James Martin is a twunt, I claim my pint!"

Substitute pint for a glass of white wine or fruit based drink for the ladies :)

By the way, for the purposes of interacting in real life I also answer to John 8)

Oh we likey Unscarred. I'm the bloke in the Red/Black/White ( :shock: ) Wilier top, Pint of Kew for me please! Looking forward to tonight, should be a good crown and it's been a good week.
  • While you lot are swilling down your real ales, wines, and London gin's, I will be putting up my tent in Glencoe (again), this time in advance of a weekend cycle and camp round the beautiful island of Mull. Never cycle toured before, so will be very interesting.....
    However i might indulge in a pint of Heather Ale later tonight.
    Enjoy the Morpeth!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I've just crawled into work and the first thing I see is pub talk. Long day ahead.

I'll be along at some point, but please feel free to start without me.
  • Cheap lager! Cheap lager!

Gosh I'm a classy bird. :lol:

And yes, livvy, the lycra gives it away. There's often one person there in lycra, but look for a gaggle of people and you'll have found us. We're generally pretty obvious.

And yes, livvy, the lycra gives it away. There's often one person there in lycra, but look for a gaggle of people and you'll have found us. We're generally pretty obvious.

Cheap lager? At the Morpeth?

Cheap lager? At the Morpeth?

He makes a valid point. To Wetherspoons!*

*kidding
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Bugger. I can't come.
  • I should be able to pop in tonight.

It's doubtful any newcomers will fail to work out who to aim for...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Bugger. I can't come.
    boooo
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    I'm going to pop along tonight too for the first time. Any tips on how to find you all? Or will the lycra give it away?

Well be wearing club ties silly tsk! :P

• Cheap lager? At the Morpeth?

What do you mean James? That Peroni is a bargain.

Not.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • lastant wrote:
    Is anybody invited / welcome along to these or is it a case of having to prove yourself with a bit of SCR along the Embankment first? :)

Had a pig of a week so far, could well be up for beverages tomorrow evening. May have to hide the bike before getting in though - Marin MTB with slicks doesn't seem to be the sort of bike you lot would be seen dead on!

Hehehe. Everyone is welcome. Though the ride there can be one of the more anxious you'll do. No one wants to get scalped en route by a fellow Morpether.

Best bet: leave work, engage warp 9.975, engage brakes at Morpeth front door.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin wrote:
    Has anyone explained the initiation ceremony yet...?

you've all read the thread from the start, right?

I've got the funnel.

Can you bring the hose?

And some disinfectant? IP usually has those surgical gloves on him, so we're ok there.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A