Morpeth Social Club

Comments

• Folks, was great to meet you all and put a few faces (and real names!) to online personas. It was my first trip to Morpeth and was interesting to come 'into town' and see how many people commute on bikes in central London.

After I left, I popped into Covent Garden to see another friend and then cycled back home. First time using the bike to come into London, was a real eye opener how practical it was and really cool coming down Whitehall with the Houses of Parliament lit up in the distance. Had good fun scalping the RLJers (and no lights, WTF! :evil: ) on the way home. Was quicker than getting the tube home in the evening and the traffic was no more intimidating than on my commute to Leatherhead.

Look forward to the next drinks and would be good to see even more Morpeth first timers to see that Bike Radar Commuting is a cool place to hang out. Where else do you get people on a hybrid, a mountain bike and some road bikes coming together for a pint and a bit of banter :-)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    About time this was back on page one I reckon. Anyone around for a jar or three this evening?

I was thinking of showing me face for a couple, but might not get away from work before 8.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Can't this evening, work drinks then back up to essex to try and get some sleep... stupid jet lag.
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    No, the Century, favoured by posh birds dating dodgy film producers :)

:lol::lol::lol:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    not normally having any reason that far into london, is there secure parking or rather what do people do with their bikes?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I might actually be in London myself in a few weeks, work permitting. If so I might try to pop by, be good to see faces to avatars.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    not normally having any reason that far into london, is there secure parking or rather what do people do with their bikes?

there's plenty of railing outside the pub - we all lock em there, no ones ever had any trouble...

... cept for the time some bloke tried to smash a wine glass on Greg66's Cervelo, so Greg glassed him.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I am forensically cleaning my house - Mrs T back tomorrow - have a good time
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:

You know damn well that's not going to cut it, whatever effort you make it still going to look like you've been mud wrestling.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg T wrote:

Dude it would be honestly cheaper, less time consuming and stressful buying a new house than attempting to try and get your house, a house any house to the levels of clean that could possibly begin to satisfy a woman.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    And if there's one thing DDD is the unchallenged world authority on, it's satisfying a woman.
  • roger_merriman

there's plenty of railing outside the pub - we all lock em there, no ones ever had any trouble...

... cept for the time some bloke tried to smash a wine glass on Greg66's Cervelo, so Greg glassed him.

ok sounds good for some point in time! though train would probably me more sensible!
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    And if there's one thing DDD is the unchallenged world authority on, it's satisfying a woman.

That's not very nice.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:

As my business teacher said (wedge inbetween economics and Consumer Psychology, I think)

98% of the time you'll say the wrong thing to a woman. The other 2% is pure luck.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • roger_merriman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

As my business teacher said (wedge inbetween economics and Consumer Psychology, I think)

98% of the time you'll say the wrong thing to a woman. The other 2% is pure luck.

i find just talking to women works? mind you i'm used to and grew up with strong women my wife is known as "scary" at her work... early on she though she might be to strigent, then she met my mother and sister and realised she needed worry i was quite used to holding my own.
  • _Brun_
    Bit late in the day, but since this is an unofficial Friday does anyone fancy a pint?
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Bit late in the day, but since this is an unofficial Friday does anyone fancy a pint?

Way ahead of you :wink:
  • _Brun_
    Every day's an unofficial Friday, right?

Cheers :)
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Every day's an unofficial Friday, right?

Cheers :)

I'm not bitter - Sláinte
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm about to taste the little slice of heaven that is Leffe Blonde. Just thought I'd share that with you, ITB. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    I'm about to taste the little slice of heaven that is Leffe Blonde. Just thought I'd share that with you, ITB. :wink:

Fine choice

Chapeau :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    Now then, this is almost certainly very pre-emptive, but I'm out of the country the rest of this week, back to KX on Friday evening... so anyone on for london (you brizzle types not welcome ;)) beerz Friday?
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    (you brizzle types not welcome ;))
    OoooOOOOOoooo!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    sarajoy wrote:
    OoooOOOOOoooo!

• sarajoy
    sarajoy wrote:
    OoooOOOOOoooo!

Well, you London types are perfectly welcome at ours, if you can manage the hills :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This might work form me.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    sarajoy wrote:
    Well, you London types are perfectly welcome at ours, if you can manage the hills :twisted:

I've seen "Skins" and it's not the hills I'm worried about it's the pills. Listen I know things have been bleek out there since they shut the mines and the Guano industry collapsed but the sheer weight of pill popping teenage banging action makes my blood run to water. I'm safer dodging sporadic gunfire on the mean streets of Lahndan innit.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sarajoy
    Greg T wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

I've seen "Skins" and it's not the hills I'm worried about it's the pills. Listen I know things have been bleek out there since they shut the mines and the Guano industry collapsed but the sheer weight of pill popping teenage banging action makes my blood run to water. I'm safer dodging sporadic gunfire on the mean streets of Lahndan innit.
    I think you have to be about 16 to indulge in that side of the Brizzle society. Sadly I'm far too old AND if I wasn't too old, too dorkish for all that stuff.

Multivitamin, anyone?
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    hmph I am too far for anything but annual visits to either Brizzle or Morpeth socials.....

South central social club anyone?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    linsen wrote:
    hmph I am too far for anything but annual visits to either Brizzle or Morpeth socials.....

South central social club anyone?

I see, you mean Notting Hill?