Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Got so many broken spokes to do, thought I might as well learn to do it myself.

I'd suggest getting a copy of this if you haven't already.
    https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
    I got my copy years ago and I have to say it’s super detailed but it might as well be in Klingon for me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

I'd suggest getting a copy of this if you haven't already.
    https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
    Thanks, i've got that one too.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I couldn't resist this:

Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    edited November 2020

Is it the old blue/white/red one?

If so very tasty

That's the one. IAM cycling colours, which dates it a bit. I wanted a top end rim brake frame though, and most advances in last few years seem to have been geared towards aero / disc brakes / integration etc which doesn't really interest me!
  • I forgot to lube the chain on my ride today, it squeaked like mad all the way round, so I managed to find a Halfords and bought some of the muc off wet and muc off dry lubes. The wet lube was the order of the day, it’s pretty good considering the price of it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

I forgot to lube the chain on my ride today, it squeaked like mad all the way round, so I managed to find a Halfords and bought some of the muc off wet and muc off dry lubes. The wet lube was the order of the day, it’s pretty good considering the price of it.

The wet is definitely the better of the two. The dry stuff is useless.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    bigmat said:

Is it the old blue/white/red one?

If so very tasty

That's the one. IAM cycling colours, which dates it a bit. I wanted a top end rim brake frame though, and most advances in last few years seem to have been geared towards aero / disc brakes / integration etc which doesn't really interest me!
    Very tasty. One of the commuters here used to have one.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13063718/my-2015-scott-addict-team-iam
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Ordered Pro Bib Tights from Le Col. Reduced from £180 to £75 using the Black Friday+Strava discounts. Brings them into the DhB Aeron pricing zone, so if they are as good as those, it's no loss.
  • I've generally only heard bad things about Le Col bibs so never been tempted to cash in my vouchers.
  • itboffin
    mrfpb said:

Ordered Pro Bib Tights from Le Col. Reduced from £180 to £75 using the Black Friday+Strava discounts. Brings them into the DhB Aeron pricing zone, so if they are as good as those, it's no loss.

So you can use the BF code with the Strava challenge discount?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin said:

mrfpb said:

Doesnt work you cant apply both codes
  • itboffin
    Sooo bought some more citrus chain cleaner which is weak at best, also bought some of the new WD40 degreaser and a new wired Conti mountain king tyre which is 200g heavier than the speedking but damn if i dont puncture every ride on those, its a ball ache.
  • wolfsbane2k

Thinking of returning the dishing tool, as the truing stand ( now it's actually been set up properly - it was 2mm off centre when out of the box) means i don't need it.

And then I can spend the refund on a thru axle adaptor instead.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • monda
    monda Posts: 32
    mrfpb said:

Mine arrived this afternoon. Cant make up my mind on them. They seem a little large around the side of my bum. Possible return them for a smaller size, but worried theyll be too short.
  • itboffin
    Le Col told me I should be a medium based on height and weight I bought large
  • Got so many broken spokes to do, thought I might as well learn to do it myself.

Thinking of returning the dishing tool, as the truing stand ( now it's actually been set up properly - it was 2mm off centre when out of the box) means i don't need it.

And then I can spend the refund on a thru axle adaptor instead.
    If you've got the Musson book there's a drawing in there to make a dishing tool, I did and it's fine.
  • monda
    monda Posts: 32
    itboffin said:

Same, but think i will return for a medium. I am a large in rapha pro team shorts, also la passione. But these feel larger
  • mrfpb
    itboffin said:

itboffin said:

mrfpb said:

They sent me an email which said both would apply, I clicked on the link and it worked. They did a one item per day offer, the bib tights were on Monday.
  • mrfpb
    monda said:

mrfpb said:

Mine arrived this afternoon. Cant make up my mind on them. They seem a little large around the side of my bum. Possible return them for a smaller size, but worried theyll be too short.
    I was borderline M/L so went large. First ride - 13 mile each way commute was fine, didn't notice them*. I won't be cycle commuting for the next few weeks so will try a long ride in them.

*The commute is a very rough gravel bike ride, so plenty of scope for a rough time for my backside.
  • monda said:

itboffin said:

Same, but think i will return for a medium. I am a large in rapha pro team shorts, also la passione. But these feel larger
    I'm large in Rapha / Castelli etc and was going to order large in the le col bibtights but they were out of stock so ordered medium and they are a perfect fit. Large would have been too big.
  • itboffin
    mrfpb said:

itboffin said:

itboffin said:

mrfpb said:

They sent me an email which said both would apply, I clicked on the link and it worked. They did a one item per day offer, the bib tights were on Monday.
    I tried my discount code and the promo one got removed so its seems its one code or the other, for me at least
  • Good offers on Nikwax from Millets just purchased Tech Wash & TX Direct for £23.95 delivered 1 Litre

Nikwax Tech Wash® 1L, Green
    Size: one size
    £9.10

Nikwax TX. Direct® Wash-In 1L, Blue
    Size: one size
    £11.90
    So Far!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Few bits from Merlin that I was running low on...
    Rock n Roll blue and gold lubes.
    Muc Off cleaning spray.
    Some tubeless sealant for the MTB.
  • wolfsbane2k
  • wolfsbane2k
    Nope, going back. Far too small a toebox, no way in hell is that sizing right.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited January 2021

Nope, going back. Far too small a toebox, no way in hell is that sizing right.
    Initially my 43s were borderline tolerable while trying them on inside (~27.4cm feet in what should have been a 27.6cm boot), but my feet quickly swelled up due to the excellent insulation and my toes felt cramped within a few minutes.

Ordered a pair of 44s, sent the 43s back, bigger size feels much better and prompt refund for ones sent back.

After a Boris dither and delay, I've not long fitted the Time ATAC pedals to the Marasa and fitted a new pair of ATAC cleats to the yellow boots to go for a ~60min ride in the Durley/Upham vicinity shortly...

Hopefully my feet won't start turning to ice like yesterday at 1700ish, while I was wearing a pair of On One Thickies and a pair of neoprene "diving" style socks inside a pair of basic Karrimor trainers! :#
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k

Initially my 43s were borderline tolerable while trying them on inside (~27.4cm feet in what should have been a 27.6cm boot), but my feet quickly swelled up due to the excellent insulation and my toes felt cramped within a few minutes.

Ordered a pair of 44s, sent the 43s back, bigger size feels much better and prompt refund for ones sent back.

After a Boris dither and delay, I've not long fitted the Time ATAC pedals to the Marasa and fitted a new pair of ATAC cleats to the yellow boots to go for a ~60min ride in the Durley/Upham vicinity shortly...

Hopefully my feet won't start turning to ice like yesterday at 1700ish, while I was wearing a pair of On One Thickies and a pair of neoprene "diving" style socks inside a pair of basic Karrimor trainers! :#

How was it? As i'm already at a size 49, i can' t go up any further.
    And the box is still sitting on the desk at home - really must get that shipped ASAP!
  • How was it? As i'm already at a size 49, i can' t go up any further.
    And the box is still sitting on the desk at home - really must get that shipped ASAP!

In the big chill we had ~10 days ago, On One Thickies with the Das Boots was ok for a short 60-90min ride, toes starting to feel a bit cool towards end.

A thin pair of socks with neoprene socks worked much better, just like I discovered a month or so back with my trainers, feet lovely and warm.

Yet to be out in a proper downpour, but now using them for the commute, so far so good.

I meant to do a "bargains" post before the sale ended last night, because the road version of these boots were reduced to £50 for the final week. No use to me, I still wouldn't choose to go out in freezing weather on my road bike and if I was really desperate I'd swap out the pedals, I was looking at the ~£30 700x30 Marathon Winter tyres on Merlin last night and just couldn't see them getting much use plus I'm not sure they would fit under the Cube mudguards... But some may have been tempted at £50.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    SRAM GX rear mech to kick off my 1x winter road bike conversion, I’m now looking at which cassette and chainring combo too go with
  • mrfpb

I I was looking at the ~£30 700x30 Marathon Winter tyres on Merlin last night and just couldn't see them getting much use plus I'm not sure they would fit under the Cube mudguards... But some may have been tempted at £50.

I bought those winter tyres two years ago for a similar price (from SJS Cycles). They've sat on my spare wheels last winter without use, they have recently been put on my spare wheels again. As I commute a lot by bike, they may see use one day. I can imagine days when cycling on those tyres will be safer than driving in.