Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• mrfpb said:

I I was looking at the ~£30 700x30 Marathon Winter tyres on Merlin last night and just couldn't see them getting much use plus I'm not sure they would fit under the Cube mudguards... But some may have been tempted at £50.

I bought those winter tyres two years ago for a similar price (from SJS Cycles). They've sat on my spare wheels last winter without use, they have recently been put on my spare wheels again. As I commute a lot by bike, they may see use one day. I can imagine days when cycling on those tyres will be safer than driving in.
    Loved my Marathon winters. The second it looks it will snow a set goes on a bike (usually the hybrid). And once it does snow, I find an excuse to go out. When I was commuting I would get to work when car drivers couldn't.

I actually got into the habit of sticking them on at the first sight of ice or frost after a big crash on a wooden bridge that had totally iced over (another rider ended up in the river below!). I even set a fastest strava time on the way home on them when the offroad part of the trip was frozen solid, they really do work that well!

And when the normal tyres go back on, you are immediately faster.

Sod work...I am off to the shed to swap some tyres.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 2021
    Just ordered a couple of these rear lights from pbk, £20 down to £10 - £15 is the free delivery threshold.:

https://probikekit.co.uk/pbk-50l-rear-light/12207800.html

Pleasing cylindrical form.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    Concerned that Mavic may indeed stop making shoes, I had to order the penultimate pair of these from Sigma - decent reduction:

Oh and totally not bike related, but wanting to get the most out of our new hard wood flooring, and try and keep my daughter entertained, I have bought 5 of these badgers - Argos have them @ 2 for £15 currently, not expecting much, but hopefully ok for indoors - only 1:24 scale.

Red one of these, and grey one as below:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    To lighten up the gravel bike for spring:
    - Token G23AB tubeless disc wheelset - 650b, listed at just over 1400g
    - Sunrace 11-46t cassette (to go on the heavier stock WTB st25 wheels for bikepacking, current 11-42t cassette will go on the Tokens)
    - Prime centrelock 160mm rotors (came with lock rings and Sram-compatible pads)

All now set up tubeless with some GKSK 48mm's, just need some better weather!

Oh and some Sportful Giara Mid cargo bibs from CRC just before their extra £10 off £75 sale items deal ended - not bad for £78
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    Not planning to buy anything, but stumbled onto a few choice and perhaps niche items at CRC.
    3T aero bar extensions for £7.99 - I have ski ones already, so fancied a try:
    https://chainreactioncycles.com/3t-s-bend-aero-alloy-bar-extensions/rp-prod55148

Few bits for my daughter in SMALL sizes - these socks down from £14 to £1 a pop:
    https://chainreactioncycles.com/gripgrab-racing-stripes-socks/rp-prod169197

Mitts down from £25 to £5:
    https://chainreactioncycles.com/alpinestars-pro-light-short-finger-glove-2018/rp-prod183365

And again, but £32 down to £5:
    https://chainreactioncycles.com/gripgrab-women-s-progel-gloves-aw17/rp-prod164554

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    daniel_b said:

Just ordered a couple of these rear lights from pbk, £20 down to £10 - £15 is the free delivery threshold.:

https://probikekit.co.uk/pbk-50l-rear-light/12207800.html

Pleasing cylindrical form.

These came, and they are REALLY nice, quality feeling unit, small, neat, bright, side lights, and tons of modes - lots of mounting options too, think mounting on a helmet would not be too tricky, though yet to try.
    Also noticed they have the See Sense Ace Rear for only £17.99:
    https://probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories-nc/see.sense-ace-rear-light/11793127.html#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Avoid the seesense they’re buggy as feck when they do work and useless the rest of the time
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021
    itboffin said:

Avoid the seesense they’re buggy as censored when they do work and useless the rest of the time

That's a shame, specifically the Ace?

I've had original Icon units X3 for a good few years now, and touch wood they seem to have been mostly reliable - occasionally the bluetooth connection acts a bit weird, but i don't tend to go in there that often to be fair.

They seem to work with regards to reducing flashes when there is no traffic about, and increasing when there is.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Speaking of see.sense, I pre-ordered their new Beam front light in October 2019 for Christmas delivery. Just got an email there saying it's delayed for another two weeks at least and it'll definitely* arrive February.

*I'm not sure they know the meaning of that word
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021

Speaking of see.sense, I pre-ordered their new Beam front light in October 2019 for Christmas delivery. Just got an email there saying it's delayed for another two weeks at least and it'll definitely* arrive February.

*I'm not sure they know the meaning of that word

Typo and meant to be October 2020....?

I can't talk, I'm still waiting for the IQ2 power meter pedals :D
    I forget how many years ago it was I paid - maybe 3?
    Plus all the additional import duty and admin fees I will have to pay when/if they eventually do arrive <3
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b said:

Concerned that Mavic may indeed stop making shoes, I had to order the penultimate pair of these from Sigma - decent reduction:

These suckers arrived - not quite as bright a yellow as I was hoping, but incredibly light, and the most comfortable shoes I have ever donned.

Walking around in them feels like slippers - they have also widened the toe box from how they used to make their shoes, so in the old style I had to either get a 44 2/3 Maxi fit, or a 45 1/3 normal fit, where as this one was fine with the 44 2/3.

Gutted if this IS there last shoe range.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Always had a soft spot for Mavic gear too. Have a couple pairs of bibs, jerseys, gilet, helmet and winter boots.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b said:

No typo! It'll arrive just in time for spring, meaning no use for it as the nights will be short enough again.

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    daniel_b said:

Plus all the additional import duty and admin fees I will have to pay when/if they eventually do arrive <3 </p>

Do you think we will ever see the IQ pedals Daniel ?
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2021

daniel_b said:

No typo! It'll arrive just in time for spring, meaning no use for it as the nights will be short enough again.

Ah ok, so hopefully 18 months from paying to seeing the product?

daniel_b said:

Plus all the additional import duty and admin fees I will have to pay when/if they eventually do arrive <3 </p>

Do you think we will ever see the IQ pedals Daniel ?
    Honestly I think we will yes - when I backed it in April 2018 (I checked) it was for the little pieces that were meant to go inbetween the pedals and the cranks, and my initial thought was that it would be great for when I travelled and or hired a bike, super easy to fit and have access to power.

I already have two pedal dual sided power meters, Garmin Vector 2's, but wasn't massively dissapointed when they switched to pedals, especially as they went with Look pedal styles, as that is what the Vector 2's are, and if I run a non power pedal I tend to use Look anyway, so that was a small win.

Only thing I was slightly dissapointed with was the weight, they are a few grams heavier than the vectors and I was hoping for a minor weight saving.

DC Rainmakers review seemed very positive, I think he was sent a dud to start with, and then a replacement came fairly quickly, so that was another positive.

I don't read their updates religiously, but I think a recent one said they were shifting production to one setup, but can't recall where that was. I guess they have been hit by production issues to start with, and then covid can't have helped either.

I see lots of people going red with rage on their facebook page, but I don't see the point in that at all - I sent the cash, I knew it was a risk, and I think if you didn't enter into it with that expectation, then you made a poor decision.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    edited January 2021
    I’ve just ordered myself a fabric line s saddle to try, my old spoon was giving me severe numbness issues on the turbo so I wanted to try something with a channel and these modern short saddles look interesting.

To go with that I’ve also signed up to zwift again, and got a premium membership to RGT. I’ve got my old commute to Birmingham set up as a magic road too, I always wanted to see how quickly I could do it without traffic lights and now’s my chance.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    Zipp service course SL 70 ergo bars and another 4iiii left side power meter in R8000 flavour to be matchy matchy
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Elite Direto Smart trainer, just getting used to it, great fun!
  • itboffin
    Holy moly how complex is sending via FedEx, drove to drop off nope they don’t handle insured parcels, try their website which seems to be for people with accounts ie businesses so I ended up calling them for a home pickup, which they said would be today up to 17:00 which came and went no pickup, I checked their online tracker and it’s booked for tomorrow anytime up until 17:00

🙄
  • itboffin
    New version of our club kit for a "planned" upcoming Italian trip

• daniel_b
    edited February 2021
    itboffin said:

New version of our club kit for a "planned" upcoming Italian trip

Nice looking kit, great colours. Whereabous are you hoping to go?

And yes FedEx are suitably unusual - I had good success with ParcelHero - a broker, think it ended up going with UPS - this was for Italy X 2.

P.S @itboffin Did you ever see or get my message about the garage door man?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    We’ve planned to drive to Milan to pickup a few flying then head to lake como for a few days before we roll out or rather up to bormio ....hopefully

And yes thanks
  • itboffin
    After watching my companies cycle to work scheme I was very tempted to order a canyon gravel bike but even with the tax break the buy back price on a £3k bike is more than retail over 1 year
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Gone for a pair of these in the Pactimo sale....
    https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/on-sale/products/vertex-thermal-bib-tight-mens

Decent discount, plus I had 11 quid of loyalty points to come off.

Hoping they'll provide a bit of extra warmth and wind/water resistance on the coldest days versus my current Sorpassos and Sportful R&Ds. Probably won't get much use now until next winter though.
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2021
    Sale on at Oakley, been ages since I bought anything from them.

These Sutro sunnies with discount, and through TCB came in at £98 - quite pleased with that, considering I got to spec pretty much everything I wanted. Sadly no Photochromic option currently, but my excellent Scott shields are, and happen to be of very similar dimensions, in fact ever so slightly larger.
    Happy coincidence the arms are a matte finish, as that seems to grip better - no unobtanium material on the arms of these, but may retro fit some should it become an issue.

Was tempted by the 24K gold lens, as it's great for sunny conditions, but thought it didn't go with the retina burn lens, and no black frame option for some reason.
    An irritation with the custom range is that options come and go on a daily basis, no idea why, quite frustrating.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Absolute black 52/36T oval rings
    Look keo 2 max pedals
    Look classic 3 pedals
    Superstarcomponents chainring bolts
    a free case of mixed beer & a bottle of gin thanks to Avio BA points
    2 jerseys, cap, mitts, knee & arm warmers, bib shorts and a buff all in my clubs new Italian version of our club kit, from Pactimo

• itboffin

Loving the chainrings
  • itboffin
    which i installed the inner ring the wrong way around and the outer in the wrong position then had to drill out one of the aluminium chainring bolts
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    itboffin said:

which i installed the inner ring the wrong way around and the outer in the wrong position then had to drill out one of the aluminium chainring bolts

D’oh!!

I’ve gone oval on a few bikes and really prefer them.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS