Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Everyone in the top ten is younger than me tho'.

12 year olds don't count
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Today's times.

I'm almost too ashamed to show my face at the Morpeth after limping home in 13th place.

I reckon a more aero hat and less hairy arms would knock a couple of seconds off.

p1000443.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Today's times.

I'm almost too ashamed to show my face at the Morpeth after limping home in 13th place.

I reckon a more aero hat and less hairy arms would knock a couple of seconds off.

p1000443.jpg

I'm hoping your ended your pathetic attempt with but i'm only a fakenger fixie media lovey

Simples :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    _Brun_ wrote:

Fewer hairy arms.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Today's times.

p1000443.jpg

I'm hoping your ended your pathetic attempt with but i'm only a fakenger fixie media lovey

Simples :roll:

Beaten by a child and a girl child at that ....

p1000442.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kids do 250 metres....!
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    Dolan FXE or the Gary Fisher Triton for commuter bike, what do you guys think?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    biondino wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Fewer hairy arms.

You're saying he should cut an arm off?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    flamite wrote:
    I had the Dolan Pre-Cursa (pretty much the same as the FXE) but found it rather harsh. Swapped it for my Soma with 631 steel.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • itboffin
    flamite wrote:

The Dolan FXE you won't regret it
  • My Pearson Touche has just arrived today! Yey. :D

I can now join in with the fun you all seem to be having! This is my first time riding fixed (I have been using road bikes for a few years now) does anyone have any top tips or common beginners mistakes I should be wary of?

Oooh, I can't wait for my ride in tomorrow!
  • Clever Pun
    keep pedaling keep pedaling keep repeating that to yourself

Well done, you're a better man than most

I trust your feet will be clipped in?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    BenBlyth wrote:
    My Pearson Touche has just arrived today! Yey. :D

I can now join in with the fun you all seem to be having! This is my first time riding fixed (I have been using road bikes for a few years now) does anyone have any top tips or common beginners mistakes I should be wary of?

Oooh, I can't wait for my ride in tomorrow!
    Prepare yourself mentally for the fact that going down hills will suddenly feel more challenging than getting up them.
  • Erm, does everyone else's chain make a noise? Like a clickety one? Or is mine stretched (already)? Or has it eaten my sprocket?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    MIne makes a noise like a cement mixer loaded with gravel and half bricks.

I've bought a new chain........
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Thanks for the advice guys! I thoroughly enjoyed my first commute in this morning. It was easier than I thought. I need to work on my bike/fixed handling skills a little but I expect that will come with time and experiance.

I only forgot to peddle once (Funny how your mind gets in to habits) but was reminded soon enough! Other than that it was great. Timewise, my garmin battery was dead (Charging it at work now!) but judging when I set off, arrived, I seem to have done it in a standard time. I think I'm going to enjoy this fixed lark.

Now I just want my first fixed scalp....
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    After buying a Tricross single in the pearsons sale last winter, ive always wanted to turn my 15 year old bike in the shed into single speed 8)

Any help and tips on how to do this?

So far ive just stripped it all down as bottom bracket etc all worn out.

What stuff do i need to buy?

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    wideboy wrote:
    After buying a Tricross single in the pearsons sale last winter, ive always wanted to turn my 15 year old bike in the shed into single speed 8)

Any help and tips on how to do this?

Do an internet search for "fixed conversion", there are a few very useful websites out there, including some Videos. I think there are links from a thread in the workshop subforum.
    So far ive just stripped it all down as bottom bracket etc all worn out.
    Just put it all back together without the bits you don't need(!)...
    What stuff do i need to buy?

Depends on how much of what you've taken off is useable, whether you're building a hack or a piece of artwork and what you're working with.

Start with the rear wheel & dropouts: If you have a freehub, and want to re-use the wheel, you will need an adapter. A better, but obviously more expensive, solution is to replace the rear wheel (the hub, specifically) with one designed for FG/SS use.

If your frame has vertical droputs (as opposed to horizontal or track-ends) you'll (probably) need a chain tensioner (for SS) or a more sophisticated solution, if you want fixed. Again, GIYF, I won't repeat the options here. Do some research, then come back with specific questions, OK?

If you're BB is worn, hold off ordering a replacement until you've worked out what you're going to do with your rear wheel & chain tensioning. You might want to choose a specific BB and/or chainset to help get chainline and tensioning sorted.

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    Aren't skinny jeans great, I mean no more rolling of the trouser legs for me plus I believe they're rather hip and "in" right now :lol:
  • itboffin
    This thread is dead :lol:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    This thread is dead :lol:

Kick it hard enough & it'll come back to life....

Wern't you going to email me about IT Infrastructure Architecture, recently?

Maybe there'll be another rash of fixie conversions over winter... for now it looks like the fixed people are happy and the broken people don't care :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Still contemplating ditching my geared commuter (assembled at great expense over the summer) and going back to the fixie...
    <a>road</a>
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hello, newbie question: my Pearson creaks alarmingly when I turn the pedals. I fear it is unwell. What should I do?

Oh, I saw some great tweed at the spitalfields market this lunchtime...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:
    Hello, newbie question: my Pearson creaks alarmingly when I turn the pedals. I fear it is unwell. What should I do?

Buns is probably your man... is it as you put the power down? or just simple rotation?

sprockets aligned?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Seatpost maybe - have you ridden in the wet lately? That as a problem I had.

If not, pedals? Loose chain?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Buns is probably your man... is it as you put the power down? or just simple rotation?

sprockets aligned?
    S'all right was just getting into the spirit of the revived thread.

It creaks both in fixed and free; while seated and out of the saddle; hands on the bars or not. Short story: bottom bracket is knacked

Edit: with spds and with Times ;)
    Edit2: Thanks chaps
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Seeing as I'm only doing 6 flat miles a day at the moment I've toyed with the idea of turning the mercian into a winter SS before it gets the full tourer respray and rebuild next year.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:

Dude, that's not your Pearson, that's your knees...
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:

Dude, that's not your Pearson, that's your knees...

who the hell is this interloper???? :lol:

How's the shoulder?