Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My steel SS has so many dents now i've lost count, it clicks and groans like a WWII battle ship - then again it could be my knees :lol:

I'm assuming your bike is Aluminium in which case i'd be inclined to be a little more worried about a dent.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Yep aluminium. I think I will end up epoxying a doubler plate over the top of the dent as reinforcement and risking it like that. Short of replacing the frame I can't see I can do anything else. :(
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    So, if I were to replace my Paul finger brake and/or Tiagra calipers, can people suggest alternatives for a) comfort and b) efficacy? Brake pads would be Koolstop Salmons as I'm very pleased with them on the Focus.

Secondly - and I know this is anathema - if I'm not riding on the track, I guess the lovely Nitto track bars I currently have are going to be all style and no practicality? Please argue for or against bullhorns or - shudder - some flat bar option, or tell me I'm an idiot and I should keep the Nittos.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    biondino wrote:
    So, if I were to replace my Paul finger brake and/or Tiagra calipers, can people suggest alternatives for a) comfort and b) efficacy? Brake pads would be Koolstop Salmons as I'm very pleased with them on the Focus.

Standard drop bar levers should do fine- you then have hoods to ride on.
    Secondly - and I know this is anathema - if I'm not riding on the track, I guess the lovely Nitto track bars I currently have are going to be all style and no practicality? Please argue for or against bullhorns or - shudder - some flat bar option, or tell me I'm an idiot and I should keep the Nittos.

You are an idiot, and should keep the Nittos.

Assuming you can fit normal brake levers to them, that is, and ride on the tops & hoods. If the drop on the track bars is so deep that the tops are uncomfortable, then it's probably worth getting normal road bars.

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin

You are an idiot, and should keep the Nittos.

Cheers,
    W.

:lol:

Get off the fence :lol:

Sorry biondino that was funny and you know he's right.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Today I will be mostly riding single speed :D
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    One of the first times I rode my bike as a fixed, forgot and proceeded to stand on the pedals and stop pedalling for a "sleeping policeman" - must have been an interesting sight, the car behind seemed a bit amused when they overtook.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    You are an idiot, and should keep the Nittos..

Buns always knows best. FACT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    Agreed, with the exception of helmet wearing. But I'll forgive him for that one lapse...
  • wgwarburton
    biondino wrote:
    Agreed, with the exception of helmet wearing. But I'll forgive him for that one lapse...

Hah! You know I'm right.. you're just not prepared to admit it!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    vorsprung wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    A quick, simple & cheap SS conversion

42ee5f52ad7c45b3a6e86b84e1db9d50.jpg

:D

Cheap?
    You seem to have used a SS converter kit. That's at least 10 british pounds
    Please do again using a couple of knackered 8 speed cassettes and an angle grinder

A couple of cassettes? An angle grinder? that sounds a lot like effort :shock: ; here's my version.
    gxnk2_0.jpg
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    [Tim] wrote:
    A couple of cassettes? An angle grinder? that sounds a lot like effort :shock: ; here's my version.
    gxnk2_0.jpg

Here's mine. Two cassettes taken apart and the spacers used to give a good chainline.
    Two cassettes worth are needed to get enough spacers
    The sprocket is the suitable one from the cassette. The smallest spocket is also used coz the lockring screws into it

3400506663_cc18e6c6e3.jpg
  • It's gloomy and murky out there, so I was forced to ride in on the Vanquish today, rather than the Bowery, because the Vanquish currently has lights.

Well, I have to say that after a fortnight of riding fixed, riding a bike with a freewheel feels just plain wrong - and it's certainly more effort on the token bumps I have to accept as hill substitutes on the ride in.

All of which is to say, really, that you get used to fixed amazingly quickly, despite the initial terror you might experience on the first ride.
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Alright kids, MTf**kingFU.

Riding fixed is not a terrifying experience. FFS. My first ever FG ride was up Davies Street onto Oxford Street, and back to Liverpool St Station... even people who don't live in London may have heard of Oxford Street.

I stopped pedalling all of twice, and have been fine since then.

Seriously. If an eejit hipster with louvred glasses can do it, so can you.

And Blondie, keep the Nittos. Buns = always right about everything, especially helmets ;)
  • itboffin
    Ahhhh! I can't bare the crunchy grinding from my rear hub any more I just have to admit that it's DEAD :?

Are the system ex hubs that bad? I know they're the same as ambrosio / formula / zenith just re-branded

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/7 ... -Hubs.html
  • Riding fixed is not a terrifying experience. FFS. My first ever FG ride was up Davies Street onto Oxford Street, and back to Liverpool St Station... even people who don't live in London may have heard of Oxford Street.

Heh - tbh, I actually feel safer riding in London than I do in Hull... Oxford Street and Vauxhall Cross included. Srsly - Hull's not pleasant for cyclists.

But point taken - I'm just observing that even if the first experience was unnerving, you adjust very, very rapidly. And I much, much prefer fixed to geared, now.
  • itboffin
    vanquished wrote:
    Riding fixed is not a terrifying experience. FFS. My first ever FG ride was up Davies Street onto Oxford Street, and back to Liverpool St Station... even people who don't live in London may have heard of Oxford Street.

Heh - tbh, I actually feel safer riding in London than I do in Hull... Oxford Street and Vauxhall Cross included. Srsly - Hull's not pleasant for cyclists.

But point taken - I'm just observing that even if the first experience was unnerving, you adjust very, very rapidly. And I much, much prefer fixed to geared, now.

Hull's not very pleasant full stop :P :roll:
  • itboffin wrote:

Harsh... but fair ;-P
  • itboffin
    vanquished wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Harsh... but fair ;-P

:lol: I've had many fun times and many many more bad times, that comes with having friends from there and spending years contracting in and around Hull - shudder! :D
  • wgwarburton
    Alright kids, MTf**kingFU.
    Riding fixed is not a terrifying experience. FFS. ...
    I stopped pedalling all of twice, and have been fine since then.
    Seriously. If an eejit hipster with louvred glasses can do it, so can you.

My experience exactly- even down to the number of times I stopped pedalling (Once turning onto Princes Street (Edinburgh), and once on a rural open road). After that I found the pedals "reminding" me every so often, but no heart-stoppers.
    And Blondie, keep the Nittos. Buns = always right about everything, especially helmets ;)

You're too kind :oops:

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited April 2009
    Latest incarnation of the Barron:

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

Specs are:

Barry Barron (Stowe, Lincolnshire) Reynolds 531 SL TT frame built for Barry Frow in 1982 - 22.5" - has had a re-spray at Argos Cycles in Cambridge Blue and track fork ends fitted.

Nitto RB018 Bars
    ITM Goccia Stem
    FSA "Stars 'n Stripes" bar tape
    Dia Compe Aero brake lever
    Shimano Tiagra Front brake
    Xero xsd 30mm deep v rims on Formula flip/flop track hubs
    Specialized Armadillo tyres
    Sugino BB
    Sugino RD2 chainset 48T
    Miche 16t sprocket and carrier
    KMC track chain
    Laprade fluted seatpost
    Charge Spoon saddle
    MKS Sylvan pedals
    MKS Toe clips (1/2 clip size L)

All braze ons have been removed except for the rear brake brazes on's - just in-case it gets run as an ss.
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Nice!

How's the charge saddle? My saddle is in need of replacement and I'm tempted by the spoon as it is cheap, looks good and seems popular.
  • gtvlusso
    [Tim] wrote:
    Nice!

How's the charge saddle? My saddle is in need of replacement and I'm tempted by the spoon as it is cheap, looks good and seems popular.

Fine - no worries with it. I would not like to do Uber distance on it.......but it is fine for the fixie/fixie distances. Anything above about 30 miles in one hit, I would use something else......
  • biondino
    That's a beautiful bike but omg the bar tape is just awful! It's not even a design that works in the context!

(I like the stem tho)
  • gtvlusso
    biondino wrote:
    That's a beautiful bike but omg the bar tape is just awful! It's not even a design that works in the context!

(I like the stem tho)

It goes with my winter gloves........Honestly! I was gonna use Cinelli white, but I had this stuff in the shed - matches my road bike! I think it stands out well, but agree, it is a little ott!

661_descend_glove2s.jpg
  • biondino
    Coo - can you shoot webs from those gloves?
  • gtvlusso
    biondino wrote:
    Coo - can you shoot webs from those gloves?

Only when I have matching bar tape ;-)

My dream is too look like Captain America.....except with the decorum of a Cambridge Blue bicycle......
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    photo.php?pid=6650740&l=1e3f845495&id=547225564.jpg

here it is, after a long wait for the frame to be sprayed, I'm back on the fixed !

I think 48x16 is a bit big for everyday riding tho, I;ll probably step down to a 17t cog, but here's a question for you arbiters of fine biking.....

what colour saddle ???

white, black or tan - should I be a eurotart and get a white one ????!!!!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    edhornby wrote:
    should I be a eurotart and get a white one ????!!!!

We need more data.

If you are on your own, no-one around and a set of lights that you know take ages to change turn red do you:

a) Trackstand in splendid isolation
    b) Put your foot down
    c) You can't trackstand

If A then you might not be a tart - you are a fundamentalist

If B then yes brother you are a tart

If C then this needs more discussion, all trackstanders are tarts but not all tarts can trackstand.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Greg T wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    should I be a eurotart and get a white one ????!!!!

We need more data.

If you are on your own, no-one around and a set of lights that you know take ages to change turn red do you:

a) Trackstand in splendid isolation
    b) Put your foot down
    c) You can't trackstand

If A then you might not be a tart - you are a fundamentalist

If B then yes brother you are a tart

If C then this needs more discussion, all trackstanders are tarts but not all tarts can trackstand.

Well I'm b on that - I only trackstand if I know the lights are going green in the next 15 seconds or so. Any more is counterproductive and I think makes you look a bit of a fakenger. Having said that, I would describe my trackstanding abilities as intermediate.

A white saddle is the answer btw.