Silly commuting racing

Comments

• It is an interesting question, that of a ss mtb. It is certainly dirty and functional, but a base FCN of 4 would be a bit harsh...

Also up your gearing, for mtb commuting you want 36:16 at least, which will give you about 60 GI (assuming 175mm cranks and 2.1" tyres)

Unfortunately no gearing changes for me as I’m in the last few days of ss mtb commuting before it has to go to the great ebay in the sky to make room for me to become a hairy roadie so I’m going to try and get as many unsuspecting scalps as possible before i turn into other peoples points due to my fast moving but withered legs.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    snooks wrote:
    c12345 wrote:
    +1up

I took a moped this morning!!!!

Diasaster though! - first hump and the moped swings left and through the lowest point near the pavement without slowing, leaving me in the full force of the morning breeze, but I recover and a few hard pusshes, I'm back on. This repeats 4 or 5 times over the next mile, but ahead I can see parked cars, and I'm sure the driver is going to preserve the dignity of his pasenger and slow down for the next hump (he is sticking to the speed limit after all), and I gather my mental strength.

I'm off. big push, big explosive sprint, out into clean air and doing 34/35 mph. I've gapped him. After less than a minute, the redline approaches, and the speed starts to return to mortal levels, but I've got a sporting distance, and I'm approaching a roundabout at which I have to make a genuine deviation from his destination. Thats a win in my books.

[sharp intake of breath]Dunno about that one....[shakes head]...[/shakes head][/sharp intake of breath]

If we look at rule 4.....

4/ All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void (you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off straight afterwards)

My first thought would be whether speed bumps are open road...surely for the smelly whiny jamie oliver lookielikey and his blonde timotei trophy on the back, a speed bump is a "traffic" calming measure, therefore not strictly open road, just cos they have to slow for the the sleeping police man (is there any other sort??) gives you an unfair advantage..therefore, I'm thinking on this part you're on dodgy ground, thin ice, or should be looking as worried as Boris when all he has to do is wave a flag

THEN... we get on the to the last part of rule 4...."(you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off straight afterwards)"

Isn't this what you did? :shock: ....you knew you had to turn off ahead of them, yet you made your move so (you hoped) there would be no comeback...I hope you're ashamed of yourself, call yourself a player of the noble Game? While you have speed, I find your ethics slightly alarming :evil:

As repentance for your actions I feel you should cycle round (at lung tearing speed, but not riding like a c0ck of course) till you find you scooter friend, and do him and his ladee friend properly, on open road, with no speed bumps and no hiding afterwards

Or next time just lie and say you did em good and proper :twisted:

To my mind a moped + passenger = additional weight and therefore an easier scalping I'm afraid. Sterling work though!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    biondino wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Oh! I have a beard at the moment! *pumps fist*

Will it not look like you've got your head on upside down?

You tell me - here I am clutching my bike after a 3 hour, 46-mile, 6 Surrey hills ride on the weekend:

2796526627_c0ccc58cdf.jpg

If yer chin is hairier than yer legs it's a beard and +1 for you my friend

Yer head looks the right way up on that pic, but the angles are all funny, it could just be the lighting, so not really conclusive...trust me, I'm a photographer :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Definitely hairier than my legs! Woohoo! Must now remember not to wear any team gear and I'll be actually able to scalp, uh, other hairy roadies without team gear. Hmm. Not quite the precipitous fall down the rankings I was after. Can you fit panniers on a Cayo?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    snooks wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Oh! I have a beard at the moment! *pumps fist*

Will it not look like you've got your head on upside down?

You tell me - here I am clutching my bike after a 3 hour, 46-mile, 6 Surrey hills ride on the weekend:

If yer chin is hairier than yer legs it's a beard and +1 for you my friend

Yer head looks the right way up on that pic, but the angles are all funny, it could just be the lighting, so not really conclusive...trust me, I'm a photographer :wink:

Were you admitted to hospital shortly after this picture was taken? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Love your sounds man

day2moby13780_45_9.preview.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't look like Moby! Really, truly I don't. I don't wear glasses for a start! And he's got that horrible thin mean mouth. I have full, erotic lips, I'll have you know.
  • il_principe
    *PING Snooks - Mr pro photographer man. I've been getting back into the world of photography in the last few months. Could you give me some lens advice? I've got a Canon 450D and a bog standard 18-55 IS lens. Want to invest in a decent Telephoto and was thinking about the 70-200 USM f/4 lens. I have a decent tripod so not bothered by the lack of IS, not interested in capturing fast moving shots either so I’m thinking I can get away without the f/2.8. Does that seem sensible to you? I’ll mainly be taking architectural landscape and long exposure night shots. But basically this will be my everyday lens and it seemed sensible to get something relatively light weight.
  • biondino wrote:
    I have full, erotic lips, I'll have you know.

I was happy living in ignorance.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • snooks
    Sorry couldn't resist checking to see whether your head was the right way up...And it seems that you're head is indeed the right way up....if your beard was on top...you look summut like this:

Well if you will post pics of yerself on site with people with a little too much time on their hands, What did you expect??? :twisted:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    If we look at rule 4.....

4/ All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void (you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off straight afterwards)

... I guess you're right. I would contest the definition of open road, since we were both presented with the same challenges of terrain. It migth as well been a hill, a corner, traffic lights or a junction, but the turning off afterwards? Deep down, I know I waited, sheltered, in the draught until I knew I had a chance to make a break.

Rules being rules, I think the fundimental question is: " can I cycle at a steady speed of 31 mph for the duration of time it takes to cycle to the horizon at 1mph?" To that, the answer is no, and so I hand the scalps back to save my karma at the expense of my ego.

.... But with training, hard work, dedication, a following wind and some of that EPO, one day I might be back for those scalps, and when I am, you'll all be the first to know.

</humbled>
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    I understand that the principle of osmosis .

I don't......

I just "liked" the idea of you grabbing hold of the guy who pulls up next to you and draining his life force before cycling off leaving him a wasted and desicated husk

I bet those therapist bills really add up, huh?

Given the huge following "The Game" now has surely there must be a lot of very confused commuter cyclist out there wondering why that crazy eyed and clearly very sweaty person just cruised past them legs a blur shouting Chapeaux! whilst double fist punching the air.

Is it perhaps time for a new thread on this forum “The Game – Victim Support Group”.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

Given the huge following "The Game" now has surely there must be a lot of very confused commuter cyclist out there wondering why that crazy eyed and clearly very sweaty person just cruised past them legs a blur shouting Chapeaux! whilst double fist punching the air.

Is it perhaps time for a new thread on this forum “The Game – Victim Support Group”.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/ ... 972_1_full
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Greg T wrote:
    I still do not believe that anyone rides a SS MTB

Believe http://www.sswc08.com/
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • There will be no shoulting of 'Chapeau!' nor punching of the air....

It's not a race, remember...
  • snooks
    *PING Snooks - Mr pro photographer man. I've been getting back into the world of photography in the last few months. Could you give me some lens advice? I've got a Canon 450D and a bog standard 18-55 IS lens. Want to invest in a decent Telephoto and was thinking about the 70-200 USM f/4 lens. I have a decent tripod so not bothered by the lack of IS, not interested in capturing fast moving shots either so I’m thinking I can get away without the f/2.8. Does that seem sensible to you? I’ll mainly be taking architectural landscape and long exposure night shots. But basically this will be my everyday lens and it seemed sensible to get something relatively light weight.

Get the best lens you can afford without selling the girlfriend, wife, children or house...or bike of course.

The 18-55 ain't a good lens, if you could more up one level of lenses to the 28-105 f3.5-4.5, then get a 20-35 (or 17-40) for a wangle

For somfink a bit longer the 70-200 f4 should do you fine...I never use IS, and I'm bobbing up and down like a Meer cat on a trampoline :D Just use a faster shutter speed (or a tripod if yer not on a boat)...the other way of looking at it is instead of getting a 2.8 lens bump the ISO up to 200....OK your depth of field is the same, but there isn't "that" much difference in 2.8 and f4

Don't discount 2nd hand lenses, as long as all the bits of glass are in the right order, and not scratched you can pick up really good second hand lenses for the price of mediocre new ones...just a thought

Any other queries, just PM me :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • il_principe
    Cheers fella. Gone for the 70-200 f/4 then.
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    There will be no shoulting of 'Chapeau!' nor punching of the air....

It's not a race, remember...

Seconded.

perhaps a brief nod of acknowledgment, or a morning/evening as you serenely coast past with out a care in the world as this crazy speed is entirely natural and effortless. Or at least that's what they should believe, in reality it's like the inside of a ww2 submarine going too deep and there are creaks and groans everywhere with the occassional burst valve!
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Greg T
    dafruk wrote:
    in reality it's like the inside of a ww2 submarine going too deep and there are creaks and groans everywhere with the occassional burst valve!

Top level analogy......

Personally when I've over cooked it the inside of my head resembles Chernobyl's main control room at D+10 seconds when a bus load of ADHD kids are having a visit, just after lunch and fizzy blue pop and chocolates...... Alarms, screaming, running around - imminent explosion etc etc etc.

• itboffin
    If my bike is still chained up in the station car park I might well just push it home tonight, my pores are still oozing last nights tequila, good job my commute is well away from you lot, I'm as weak as a kitten.

I wonder if work will accept a sick note from the resulting stiff neck caused by the inevitable continuous glances behind.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    itboffin wrote:
    I wonder if work will accept a sick note from the resulting stiff neck caused by the inevitable continuous glances behind.

I doubt it if you are still reeking of Tequila tomorrow :wink:
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Greg,

more drinkies and I may shatter your illusions.

And demonstrate the puple abominator.

J
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    jedster wrote:

Greg,

J

OOOO EEEEEERRR :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • jedster wrote:

Greg,

J

There have been many occasions on thie thread when I have wondered if I have left bikeradar stumbled onto a different kind of website altogether. Never more so than now.
    (John F Kennedy)

• snooks
    jedster wrote:

Greg,

J

There have been many occasions on thie thread when I have wondered if I have left bikeradar stumbled onto a different kind of website altogether. Never more so than now.

What? This is bike radar?...Does that mean we have to talk about bike and bikey stuf....Boooooorrrrrring
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    snooks wrote:
    What? This is bike radar?...Does that mean we have to talk about bike and bikey stuf....Boooooorrrrrring

Not necessarily, but any mention of needing a few drinks inside you before you're prepared to get out your purple abominator do leave you wondering.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • snooks wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Greg,

J

You misunderstand. By common consent and universal acclaim, Silly Commuter Racing is a meta-topical thread. The Game is life, and all of life is part of The Game. Everything is grist to our quickly (but superficially effortlessly) turning mill.

However, I defy you to re-read jedster's offer to shatter Greg's illusions with a quick demonstration of his purple abominator, and not conclude that something somewhere has gone seriously awry.
    (John F Kennedy)

• snooks
    edited August 2008
    snooks wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Greg,

J

However, I defy you to re-read jedster's offer to shatter Greg's illusions with a quick demonstration of his purple abominator, and not conclude that something somewhere has gone seriously awry.

Yeah right, and thigh measuring is normal?

Thing was awry a LONG time ago, I'm just worried it's taken you so long to realise.....Now that IS worrying
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    VL, do I win a prize for succintness?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    I'm not quite sure where I stand on Purple abominators.....

However I think it may have something to do with this bit of kit that was posted before the watershed and in plain site...

11024mpart_l.jpg

The panniers thread - I ask you...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14937178&highlight=#14937178

Who would have thought it.