Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Do you think any of you would still talk to me if I put tassels on my handlebars?

I had deja vu looking at that Evans picture. Went into CyclesUK a fortnight ago and that was all you could see for the first 10 yards (the mirrored wall didn't help!).

Thankfully I managed to steer my wife towards buying a Ridgeback Velocity instead :)

But she still wants the purple bell (with The Little Mermaid on it) and some tassels :shock:

Stuart
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    tassles (gnurk) girls really shouldn't use words like tassle, I'm trying to concentrate on work here people!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Littigator wrote:
    tassles (gnurk) girls really shouldn't use words like tassle, I'm trying to concentrate on work here people!

Calm down, she said she was putting them on her HANDLEBARS :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Sorry, COMPLETE change of subject - why when I try and send someone a PM does my system just send it to my outbox rather than send it? And how do I get it to play nicely?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Coriander wrote:
    Sorry, COMPLETE change of subject - why when I try and send someone a PM does my system just send it to my outbox rather than send it? And how do I get it to play nicely?

Well I can tell you that I'm getting them......

I didn't want to surface this on the thread but frankly I'm disgusted by your suggestions and don't even have the equipment you specify, also it's been a long time since I had no hair there and I'm not about to go down that route.

As for the other stuff - fair enough.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    I'm Dave.

And most importatnly the sun is back out in the far north so we might get a few of those fairweather scalps back on show for me to add to the collection.

This morning only provided a couple of hybrids and a very nobbly mtb. There was one roadie who looked like he was going to take up the challenge, but unsportingly turned off at the next junction less than 20m later. so got to keep his hair.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Greg - you made me laugh, but were no use at all. And not just at helping with PMing.

Attica - I'm trying to reply to a PM, but, as it's done with the reply I've just sent you, it's gone straight to the graveyard of the Outbox. Is verr verr frustrating. :evil:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    P.S. Name's Chris.

P.P.S. The "CP" is some quirk seemingly caused by the changeover from the old C+ forum to BikeRadar.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    cjcp wrote:
    P.S. Name's Chris.

P.P.S. The "CP" is some quirk seemingly caused by the changeover from the old C+ forum to BikeRadar.

Seem to remember your sig being a request to change your name back to CJ.
    Sea Green changed his name to Dunston recently, perhaps you CAN have that username back.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    P.S. Name's Chris.

Seem to remember your sig being a request to change your name back to CJ.
    Sea Green changed his name to Dunston recently, perhaps you CAN have that username back.

That's me.

Tried logging in as CJ, but it never works. Might look into it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hi, I'm a newbie commuter (hence first post) and am a little confused as to etiquette. I popped in to Lidl yesterday (many thanks to M.Cole for the heads up) and got myself some long trousers for winter. I don't like cold knees when I'm bimbling along. Such a bargain I didn't even have to hide my purchases from Mrs R25.

Anyway, when I pull up at some lights next to a roadie and they're wearing long trousers how do you differentiate between "hairy" and "shaved like a laydee"? I'm not 100% comfortable with nodding at their lower half and asking if they shave down there. :oops: At least not within an arms length.
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited August 2008
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    Hi, I'm a newbie commuter (hence first post) and am a little confused as to etiquette. I popped in to Lidl yesterday (many thanks to M.Cole for the heads up) and got myself some long trousers for winter. I don't like cold knees when I'm bimbling along. Such a bargain I didn't even have to hide my purchases from Mrs R25.

Anyway, when I pull up at some lights next to a roadie and they're wearing long trousers how do you differentiate between "hairy" and "shaved like a laydee"? I'm not 100% comfortable with nodding at their lower half and asking if they shave down there. :oops: At least not within an arms length.

That is indeed a valid question, as we enter the colder months it's gonna be nigh on impossible to differentiate between the 2 types of roadies. In this case I think you'd have to resort to intuition. If the guy "looks" faster then you treat him as someone of a higher FCN or not then don't. The FCN is designed only as a framework to allow new players to gauge the relative abilities of each type of rider, it is however only once you start to play and live THE GAME that your own internal compass will align and you'll be able to make FCN judgements in the blink of an eye :-)

Basically all you have to do is ask yourself if you'd be happy to be overtaken by that person? For me I get rather annoyed by people going faster then me and try to hunt them all down, but if they happen to be a shaved roadie or riding a singlie with thighs like Chris Hoy then I feel slightly better about letting them get away and am usually content with just being able to keep up as after all you can't expect to beat a Ferrari in a (struggles to find correct car analogy for self.......) erm Noble (ha! perfect!! a good fast Bristish marque -Mark/Marque, see what I did there!!!)

Anyhow quick update on day 2 of hybrid riding. I managed to bag a couple of scooters on the small descent from Streatham to Brixton today. Had traffic in bus and main lane and I managed to get ahead of a couple of them. No real competition except a lone roadie who like the guy yesterday insisted on RLJ'ing down that whole stretch - it's really fustratiing! Also had someone else on a hybrid who I swear was playing come past me on the road from Stockwell tube towards Vauxhall. He overtook me as I was pulling off from the lights then caught a draft from a scooter the cheeky bugger! Manged to reel him in tho (in my pathetic top gear!), passed wide to stop him drafting me and laid down as much speed as the gearing (and my legs) would allow. Think he turned off as I didn't see him after that :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    Hi, I'm a newbie commuter (hence first post) and am a little confused as to etiquette. I popped in to Lidl yesterday (many thanks to M.Cole for the heads up) and got myself some long trousers for winter. I don't like cold knees when I'm bimbling along. Such a bargain I didn't even have to hide my purchases from Mrs R25.

Simple, proper roadies wear tights... like laydeeees.
    Trousers are for Hybrids!
  • Now here's a question... do my altura winter cruiser leggings count as tights? Do they put me up an FCN??? Hmmm...

Also: excited bout new bike! Should arrive today...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Going slightly OT but I need to bigup my LBS (PrologueBikes, Sheen). They managed to get the seized BB fixed cup off my 20yr old commute bike and re-tap the threads within 5mins of going into the shop last night. It did take 2 guys, a hammer and some bulging eyes to get the cup out though ;)

Back to bike commuting on monday after a week of purgatory on the trains. yay
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Littigator
    Greg T wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Well I can tell you that I'm getting them......

I didn't want to surface this on the thread but frankly I'm disgusted by your suggestions and don't even have the equipment you specify, also it's been a long time since I had no hair there and I'm not about to go down that route.

As for the other stuff - fair enough.

HOORAY...where've you been??! :P

• Shaving his legs by the sound of it! :shock:

Tell me, suvvoners, are you meeting for TGFBs again or did you do yourselves in not racing each other last week? :lol:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • I can't this week, I'm heading back to Essex on an early... I need to purchase some SPD pedals...
  • Littigator
    Basically all you have to do is ask yourself if you'd be happy to be overtaken by that person?

WHAT!!!! There is a clear and simple answer to this question BJU...you can NEVER EVER be happy being passed!

For me I get rather annoyed by people going faster then me and try to hunt them all down, but if they happen to be a shaved roadie or riding a singlie with thighs like Chris Hoy then I feel slightly better

"rather annoyed" , "feel slightly better" - Have you gone soft, do you want a hug and a glass of warm milk???

• Greg T
    Litts is right, Bass has lost his way.....

Now I'm all for a more empathic approach to food chaining but there is a clear danger zone bordering the tree hugging, muesli (look at the breakfast thread for the love of GOD!) munching, soap dodging civilian area...

I asked Jules from Pulp Fiction (Who is a very handy hairy roadie, commutes in from way out popping caps and offing muddy funsters) what he thinks he said this:
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

• Littigator wrote:
    Basically all you have to do is ask yourself if you'd be happy to be overtaken by that person?

WHAT!!!! There is a clear and simple answer to this question BJU...you can NEVER EVER be happy being passed!

[

Agreed... wholeheartedly. NEVER GIVE IN. SURRENDER IS FOR GIRLS. LOSING IS NOT AN OPTION.

But er..... no... of course it's not a race....
  • Littigator
    Greg T wrote:
    And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Why does that line always make me snigger?

I have a suspicion that my Mum had an affair with Sid James.

as for the breakfast post debacle, I'll lay claim to a porridge now and then (the Scots invented it and they're hard as nails) but anyone caught eating muesli should be shot...after being flogged with bar tape and made to ride a seatless bike for a few hours

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but muesli is yummy...

I make my own from gravel and broken glass, with vodka to help it slide down easily.
  • Greg T
    I make my own from gravel and broken glass, with vodka to help it slide down easily.

Breakfast of champions.

I make my muesli out of four rashers of crispy bacon, two slices of cheap white bread (buttered), a fried egg and red sauce.

Health food.

Does anyone know what this pain is in my arms?

• Greg T wrote:

Breakfast of champions.

I make my muesli out of four rashers of crispy bacon, two slices of cheap white bread (buttered), a fried egg and red sauce.

Health food.

Does anyone know what this pain is in my arms?

I don't know, I mean all of that is just vegetables...

bacon and eggs count towards your five-a-day...

pigs eat veg therefore bacon is naught but highly concentrated veg... and the same applies for chickens...

weird.
  • GT you're a genius, can you invent an equally healthy and engery-packed muesli suitable for veggies..?

Nowt wrong with muesli the Swiss invented it and they won the Olympic gold for cycling and world time trialling!

It's amd though how many use rabbit food as their power stores for a morning 20 miler. I'd be on 4 slices of toast or 4 crumpets with honey if I had more then 10 miles to go I reckon.

Pain in arms.. you're only meant to shave (debatable if its kosher to shave at all and admit to it) your legs, nevermind wax yer arms!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bunch of fairies. I eat scalps for breakfast, results in the odd furball but it's far more satisfying.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

bacon and eggs count towards your five-a-day...

pigs eat veg therefore bacon is naught but highly concentrated veg... and the same applies for chickens...

weird.

LiT you become more and more my ideal woman with every post <3
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...fruit, veg, nuts porridge and bran flakes...makes me go faster :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Littigator
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...fruit, veg, nuts porridge and bran flakes...makes me go faster :wink:

(crack of knuckles)

Fruit??? Veg??? NUTS!!!

You ma son...are avin a bubble baaf!