Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My mate has started riding his wife's hybrid while his bike is being fixed. To make it more fun, he has also put two reams of paper in each pannier. He says it turns like an oil tanker.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:
    My mate has started riding his wife's hybrid while his bike is being fixed. To make it more fun, he has also put two reams of paper in each pannier. He says it turns like an oil tanker.

There's training and there's training, your mate isn't called Rebecca Romero by any chance?

(yes I know, but her having a wife isn't beyond the realms of possibility, or legality in these enlightened times)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    Funnily enough me and him were talking about Rebecca Romero this lunchtime. For the record, he wouldn't, and I would.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:
    Mr Ashburnham - I spotted you along Lower Richmond Road (by the roundabout coming up to Marc Bolan Bridge)

I live 200 yards from here! But I don't leave for work until about 9.20am so I never get to see any of you. I'm the dude with the grey helmet and the Focus Cayo who turns right from Gipsy Lane by the Marc Bolan Death Tree, in case anyone's ever running late...

I've only seen one or two Cayos, but in the evening I think.

What time do you get there in the evening?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    I guess sometime between 7 and 7.30? Though if you do see me then don't you dare try and scalp me as I am invariably a wreck after pushing it along the Lower Richmond Road and through the common...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ok perhaps that post would have been better suited to a Crazy-ass commuter stories forum.

Could be that there were three guys all dressed the same, looked the same (from behind) all on identiclal Bromptons. Could be I was delirious from yesterdays lesson and waking up so early. But honestly Brompton Guy, couldn't shake him.

I just like to think it was a message from The Game...

No, there's nothing dreamlike about it. I used to be haunted by a phantom brompton when I commuted from Stoke Newington through the West End. I'd burn this guy off through Angel, and no sign of him, when Boom! he'd appear out of a side road in front of me at Holborn, leave him behind and there he'd be again at Covent Garden, then Kensington.

I swear, I'd leave him for dust, he'd never pass me, and then appear from nowhere in front of me. I'm pretty sure i was on the most direct and speedy route and giving it some. He must have had a star-trek style transporter.

Either that or he was the cycle commuting version of the Flying Dutchman...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • I think there should be a new game, played by students on you hard working folk.

We get up early, all dress identically, on the same bikes, and cycle round your routes, whenever we see you coming we just turn off out of sight, always pootling...

I like this plan a lot...

Students get up early...? I think I have spotted the fatal flaw in your plan.
    (John F Kennedy)

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I usually (weekdays) get up at 5am, at the weekends I lie in until 9, when do you get up?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    So do we think it is worth starting a new thread to find out how many people have been haunted by the The Flying Brompton?

wwooooOOWOoooowowowooOWOOOOOOooooooo!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    I guess sometime between 7 and 7.30? Though if you do see me then don't you dare try and scalp me as I am invariably a wreck after pushing it along the Lower Richmond Road and through the common...

Oh my, that's perilously close to when I go through. May be see you tonight...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I usually (weekdays) get up at 5am, at the weekends I lie in until 9, when do you get up?

Usually about the same. I commute to Cambridge and like to fit in a little leisure ride before I set off.

In any case, don't get your chamois in a twist, I've been a student for most of my life, and am aiming to be one for a bit longer as well.
    (John F Kennedy)

• ride_whenever
    I meant it lightheartedly, as obviously I'm not exactly typical of the student population! I too am entering a stage of protracted studentship, as I'm just about to embark on my phd...
  • cjcp
    I meant it lightheartedly, as obviously I'm not exactly typical of the student population! I too am entering a stage of protracted studentship, as I'm just about to embark on my phd...

You'll need to get out after the three years are up if you are to avoid the slippery slope. If not, you'll find yourself working for the Uni and wearing those jackets with elbow patches and opting for comfortable brown shoes from Clarks. Nasty. Later in life, you'll start smoking a pipe.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I'm sure you've posted pics before but just so you don't have the advantage, can you put a pic of your bike (with you on it optional ;) ) so I can recognise you too?

Though I'm not cycling home tonight - work drinks followed by gig so unlikely to be in much of a state to do so.
  • biondino
    How about a "real names" update? I'm Mark, pleased to meet all y'all.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I'm sure you've posted pics before but just so you don't have the advantage, can you put a pic of your bike (with you on it optional ;) ) so I can recognise you too?

Though I'm not cycling home tonight - work drinks followed by gig so unlikely to be in much of a state to do so.

Afraid not; I'm an IT cretin - I can't post pictures. Greg T explained it, but not in English, so I'm none the wiser. However, it's red, unbranded bike.

Another day perhaps...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • heh good luck man.. I'm just about to submit mine! I cannot figure out if I will end up cycling more or less when I enter the real world!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • biondino
    * refreshes commuting forum.
    * is baffled by lack of recent posts.
    * realises everyone is out living the topic.
    * goes for beer.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    * refreshes commuting forum.
    * is baffled by lack of recent posts.
    * realises everyone is out living the topic.
    * goes for beer.

Not so. About to go though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    I measured my thighs earlier. 23.5 inches.

Sorry, did I say thighs? My mistake.

Anyway. Beers.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:

Morning Mark, I'm Rob, pleased to meet you too.

PS I'm somewhat embarrassed about my surname.....

.... it's Armstrong (no really)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Well first off I'll do the intro thing, my "proper" name is Mark and if your on FB I'm the one with the surname that looks like someone mashed the keyboard :-) Yes it is my real surname, it's Polish and usually causes my scrabble opponent to quit when I put it down :lol:

Anyhow back OT, this morning was my first proper commute on the wife's hybrid. I've made a few tactical changes to it since pulling it out of the shed, namely fitting my pedals with toe clips, my old saddle and adjusting the seat up and handlebars down :-)
    Felt much more comfortable today and all I can say is that my ride in was a massacare!!
    If my ride home this evening is half as good as my ride in I might just be able to replace the carpet in my living room with a scalp-rug (ala ITBoffin)

My favourite tho had to be the roadie that I picked off initially on the road from Thornton Heath towards Streatham, dropped him quite easily and didn't see him again until the lights at the end of the road, he pulled up behind me just as they changed and we both set off together. He then proceeded to RLJ every set between Streatham and Brixton and each time I managed to reel him back in and dump him. He eventually got away in Brixton once we hit the high street as the traffic was quite packed and I was on a wide barred bike so not to confident about filtering.

The rest of the scalps where mostly hybrids so on about the same level! I can hinestly say I wasn't expecting it to be this much fun, in fact my only complaint was the lack of gears - I spent most of the time flicking between the top 3-4 gears but on the plus side my lower FCN practically doubles the number of targets I can claim a scalp on!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Littigator wrote:
    So do we think it is worth starting a new thread to find out how many people have been haunted by the The Flying Brompton?

ok ok ok I take it all back! :shock: I was haunted by the Brompton Ghost this morning on my way in.

I was happily waiting at the lights at Bank and a brompton pulls alongside me. The guy is wearing a green combat style helmet so pretty distinctive. I set off at pace and drop him like a sick soaked tissue.

As I arrive at the far end of Cheapside, who is already waiting at the lights with a nonchalant air....you guessed it Mr Brompton with his bogey helmet.

Now I mightn't be the sharpest tool in the box but according to my understanding of the laws of physics that simply ain't possible
    I'm cycling home with a ghost proof duvet over my head tonight

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    how about one of these to pour salt into the scalp wound?
    http://www.mykle.com/msl/?p=10

(via Make)

vest.jpg

... Do you think it can be modded to show current daily scalp total?
  • Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

ok ok ok I take it all back! :shock: I was haunted by the Brompton Ghost this morning on my way in.

I was happily waiting at the lights at Bank and a brompton pulls alongside me. The guy is wearing a green combat style helmet so pretty distinctive. I set off at pace and drop him like a sick soaked tissue.

As I arrive at the far end of Cheapside, who is already waiting at the lights with a nonchalant air....you guessed it Mr Brompton with his bogey helmet.

Now I mightn't be the sharpest tool in the box but according to my understanding of the laws of physics that simply ain't possible

That is just plain weird... I get this occasionally between Acton and Shebu, I drop someone, usually on a hybrid of some type, and race off into the distance, then, just before the green, they reappear from a side street!

But how?! Is there a stargate round the side streets? Gap in the time-space continuum?

Or, the more sinister option... are they players of the game so powerful that they take the 'i'm not trying rule' to new extremes, and pull off blistering turns of speed as soon as they're out of sight, all the time laughing at us... laughing I tell you! Aaaaagh!

:shock: :shock:
  • ride_whenever
    Mwahahahahahaha, my evil plan and excess of time is working...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

See! I knew the phantom Brompton rider was real!

Que the theme music....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

That is just plain weird... I get this occasionally between Acton and Shebu, I drop someone, usually on a hybrid of some type, and race off into the distance, then, just before the green, they reappear from a side street!

But how?! Is there a stargate round the side streets? Gap in the time-space continuum?

Or, the more sinister option... are they players of the game so powerful that they take the 'i'm not trying rule' to new extremes, and pull off blistering turns of speed as soon as they're out of sight, all the time laughing at us... laughing I tell you! Aaaaagh!

:shock: :shock:

There is a very logical explanation to all this: you SSs are not as fast as you think are.

(cue the sharp intake of breath followed by howls of outrage amongst the frankly appalled SS community)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:

Its Laurence.

I'm on the Facebook 'The Game' group. I'm the guy holding the FA cup, can't really miss me I think I'm the only guy in the group with the name Laurence... :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    I'm the Mark with the Italian surname on The Game facebook page. LiT, are you Olivia? There aren't a lot of girls on it...