Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What does SWMBO stand for?

"She who must be obeyed" no worries
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What does SWMBO stand for?

The wife.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    itboffin wrote:
    Is fitting a white chain to my all white SS too tarty oh well to late now where can I get white crank arms from...

Nice bikes by the way! Do they all have uses or are you just a collector?

ITB - YES! And you need a white saddle dude!

LiT - Yes ITB is most definitely just a collector not a proper rider, as proven by me when I scorched him down Millbank after le drinks (ouch!)

Chapeux

thumbnail_np00701_100.jpg
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    Mr Ashburnham - I spotted you along Lower Richmond Road (by the roundabout coming up to Marc Bolan Bridge). At least I think it was you. The rider was decked out in Pinarello red and white and generally looking fairly tarty. :)

Right, what are people's thoughts on this? I see a roadie (turns out to be shaved) in my road this morning as I'm starting out. He's turned from a side road so cannot be long into his commute this morning. I pass him about 400 yards later and say "Morning" - something I usually do in the 'burbs near the house because one often sees the same cyclists - and I'm just passing him in the normal course of riding; not actually racing because we're still in side streets on the approach to Richmond Park.

But he speeds up and follows/drafts me. He then passes me on the climb and says "Morning". Odd, I've just said that. He's visibly trying to get up that climb faster than me. Ok. No problem. I keep to the verge to stay out of his draft :wink: - he's further out in the road. That oddness appears to be confirmed when, just before the top of the hill, he peels 180 degrees in the road to head back down the hill, says "See you" or "Good day" or something like that, I say the same say, and then I hear what sounds like "I win".

Now, there's adding on distance on your commute to get scalps, but then there's being a bit weird. Any thoughts?

Anyway, back on Embankment, felt like the Pied Piper. There was also this very swift female, capable of track standing (on a normal road bike) and very quick accelerations off the lights. Pulled up along side her and asked if she raced, and said she did track racing. An Aussie over here on holiday. Do I get any points for keeping up? :) If she can pull off from the lights that quick, and without trying, God knows what the likes of Hoy and Kenny can do.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • So yeah....

Last night, cruising along after a rather punishing workout with my slightly sadistic personal trainer who doesn't seem to care about my scalp count...

Relieved to see no real targets, well, no-one who my tired legs couldn't comfortably overtake, until a SS dude swept into the road ahead of me! Courier bag, little hat like Jashburnham's, white bike with white tyres...

And we're off! Gave chase, pedalling manically whilst not drafting on the outside of the bus lane, but due to roadworks had to drop behind... couldn't quite get ahead but he knew I was right on his heels...

Then in a fit of pique, he shot through a red light! Arrrgh, I thought, I've lost him now. Through the acton lights, up the hill on the other side and there he is! Aha!

Broke with usual protocol and stood up to get myself going... and caught up! Go go go! And then, all of a sudden, he seemed to slow... no lights coming up, no potholes... so why?

I realised as a swept past him... he knew he'd been beaten... by a girl!

But a real scalp? I open the floor....

This morning... bad news. Separate post.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Now, there's adding on distance on your commute to get scalps, but then there's being a bit weird. Any thoughts?
    :shock: :roll: Surely you made that up. That or Greg66 is back from his extended (did he get lost abroad) holiday and you're on his cycle route. The GregT/Hislop picture comes to mind again

Very strange.

Nothing here...again

Nice battle Captn Pink, sounds like a hard battle. That road up to Chapel Allerton is a loong slog. Wattage does indeed need to be laid down. It's a proving ground for granite thoughs and the couple of lights let you work on your skin breathing technique.. especially true at the junction where Chapeltown rd turns into Harrogate Rd (nr Pizza Hut).
    I'm not sure you can claim a win. Not just because it's not a race :wink: , but also becuse you failed to drop him. He drafted so it's unsportsmanly (ungentlemanly seen as it's not a race) but in your soul you ought to know you didn't display the sort of prowess that would have had the rest of us amazed and all quoting Biondino (are you really a little blonde Italian?) ..."Chapeaux"
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Very true, 2WG. To claim a scalp would not be true to the game. I was just happy to stay "on par", and live to fight another day, with my dignity intact.

We will also gloss over the fact, that said opponent may well have had many more miles to put in, compared to me rather pathetic 4 mile sprint.

Legs are feeling it today, off out on the SS mountain bike for the first time in ages later this evening, listen out for the sound of knees popping around the MVT.
    THE GAME FCN 4 usually. Hairy Roadie. Sometimes in baggies.

Le crapster commuter: http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v296/204/40/721556363/n721556363_1103653_5145.jpg
  • Hehe I might go that way this evening but keeping to the grey stuff on my shiny silver and white whip :oops: :lol:
    There I said it. I am ashamed
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    :shock: :roll: Surely you made that up. That or Greg66 is back from his extended (did he get lost abroad) holiday and you're on his cycle route. The GregT/Hislop picture comes to mind again

Fortunately, Greg66 doesn't venture that far out in search of prey (at during the week as far as I'm aware). And I suspect he's still abroad.

And speaking of quiet, Greg T is lying low today. Perhaps he's a state of shock after another scalping by a hybrid that has now left him asking himself whether he should commute by train instead? :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • victor ludorum
    victor ludorum Posts: 310
    edited August 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not playing any more! That is it I'm done!

You think you have a choice? Ah, the game, she is a cruel mistress. You will work
    yourself to death for her, break your back for her. She will be all that you think of, she will
    be your world... she will beckon you forward on your knees and you will come to her.
    Then she will grind a stiletto heel into the back of your hand and laugh in your face.

She will break you, she will humiliate you and you will swear 'never again!' Then, when you
    think you have forgotten her, she will call for you again and you will come.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • I realised as a swept past him... he knew he'd been beaten... by a girl!

The dude was beaten. Giving up in open play for anything other than a puncture or mechanical failure is weak. Crush the weak!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Mr Ashburnham - I spotted you along Lower Richmond Road (by the roundabout coming up to Marc Bolan Bridge). At least I think it was you. The rider was decked out in Pinarello red and white and generally looking fairly tarty. :)

I can confirm that I went for a spin round Richmond Park this am so was likely me, wearing a Wilier jersey today if you must know! What sort of time? I guess I was heading into Fulham via Putney Bridge at around 9 or so today, had a late spin thanks to a tactically booked 10:30 meeting which meant not going into the office beforehand.

Right, to business!

Firstly - to the roadie on the Embankment last night at around 6, I KNOW YOU WERE TRYING but thanks for the scalp taken between Lambeth and Vauxhall bridge, had to work hard to reel you in with that wind but you know you got scalped and dropped so if you're on here own up. :D

Secondly, this am say 8:55 or so shaved leg (like a laydeee) roadie that I passed heading toward Putney on Queen's Ride. I thought you might be playing, attacked you rather cheekily whilst you took a drink but you didn't seem to respond... are you a forummer - if so please play next time it's just no fun otherwise! You cannot have shaved legs and not play dammit!
  • il_principe
    So yeah....

Last night, cruising along after a rather punishing workout with my slightly sadistic personal trainer who doesn't seem to care about my scalp count...

Relieved to see no real targets, well, no-one who my tired legs couldn't comfortably overtake, until a SS dude swept into the road ahead of me! Courier bag, little hat like Jashburnham's,

Oh thank god, thought you'd scalped me for a second there. Had a teensy adrenaline spike! :oops:
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    hmmm

I was riding a specialized sirrus in my jeans up until recently. That put me on FCN of 10.

Just bought a racer though, might well wear lycra. I'm looking at trying to live up to FCN of 4! This is going to be tough.

There's a bloke on a giant SCR1 who I sometimes catch up to and pass on my way home on Archway Road. He must only be going at 8-9mph until I go past him, then he suddenly speeds up to about 18-20 near the top of the hill and sprints past me.

Anyway, I look forward to upadating you all on my scalps when I get going on my new bike.

Dartmouth park hill is a good place to speed past a couple of over equipped old men
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    Dartmouth park hill is a good place to speed past a couple of over equipped old men

...oi, that's agesist :x ...there's nothing wrong with over the hill and over equipped sonny. There's a few youngsters left in my wake each morning... 8) :lol:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

I can confirm that I went for a spin round Richmond Park this am so was likely me, wearing a Wilier jersey today if you must know! What sort of time? I guess I was heading into Fulham via Putney Bridge at around 9 or so today, had a late spin thanks to a tactically booked 10:30 meeting which meant not going into the office beforehand.

Yep, that was you. About 8.15-20.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not playing any more! That is it I'm done!

You think you have a choice? Ah, the game, she is a cruel mistress. You will work
    yourself to death for her, break your back for her. She will be all that you think of, she will
    be your world... she will beckon you forward on your knees and you will come to her.
    Then she will grind a stiletto heel into the back of your hand and laugh in your face.

She will break you, she will humiliate you and you will swear 'never again!' Then, when you
    think you have forgotten her, she will call for you again and you will come.

Wow! Reading that was almost cathartic because:

Having been utterly destroyed by 'Mountain Man' on his Silver Allez, I found myself riding like my life depended on it.... In fact I'll start from the beginning because yesterday must have bothered me more than I thought. Today I woke up at 6am well before my alarm was set to go off. I had time to tidy the house, wash the surplus dishes that didn't make it into the dishwasher, unpack the dishes that did make it into the dishwasher, feed the rabbit, fish and head towards Clapham's Evans Cycles (opens at 8am) to change a top (too small) all before I had to get to work.

I encountered a Brompton in Norbury, I overtook him and I mean really put distance between myself and him. I encountered him again, ahead of me, in Streatham so I overtook him again and then I encountered him again, ahead of me, in Clapham :evil: How is this possible? I never once saw him overtake me. Seriously it was something out of a sick twisted Tortoise and the Hare cartoon!

My analysis:
    Though I'm sure, (I hope I'm sure!) that the Brompton was real, on a metaphorical and psychological level the Brompton was 'The Game' and the fact that I could overtake it but never pass it, the fact that it was always there, that was the game playing me and why we must always secretly particpate because 'The Game' never ends...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I realised as a swept past him... he knew he'd been beaten... by a girl!

The dude was beaten. Giving up in open play for anything other than a puncture or mechanical failure is weak. Crush the weak!

Excellent! I hoped so... +1 for me!

Oh thank god, thought you'd scalped me for a second there. Had a teensy adrenaline spike!

I think the likelihood of that happening is slim... especially as I am currently bikeless! I'd haev to run at 30mph... :)
  • cjcp
    jezcc wrote:
    hmmm

I was riding a specialized sirrus in my jeans up until recently. That put me on FCN of 10.

Just bought a racer though, might well wear lycra. I'm looking at trying to live up to FCN of 4! This is going to be tough.

Jeans!?! :shock:

Not jeans. Not on a racer. Only lycra.

Look forward to the updates.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Dammit why can I never spot you!
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Dammit why can I never spot you!

I'm too fast. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Having been utterly destroyed by 'Mountain Man' on his Silver Allez, I found myself riding like my life depended on it.... In fact I'll start from the beginning because yesterday must have bothered me more than I thought. Today I woke up at 6am well before my alarm was set to go off. I had time to tidy the house, wash the surplus dishes that didn't make it into the dishwasher, unpack the dishes that did make it into the dishwasher, feed the rabbit, fish and head towards Clapham's Evans Cycles (opens at 8am) to change a top (too small) all before I had to get to work.

I encountered a Brompton in Norbury, I overtook him and I mean really put distance between myself and him. I encountered him again, ahead of me, in Streatham so I overtook him again and then I encountered him again, ahead of me, in Clapham :evil: How is this possible? I never once saw him overtake me. Seriously it was something out of a sick twisted Tortoise and the Hare cartoon!

My analysis:
    Though I'm sure, (I hope I'm sure!) that the Brompton was real, on a metaphorical and psychological level the Brompton was 'The Game' and the fact that I could overtake it but never pass it, the fact that it was always there, that was the game playing me and why we must always secretly particpate because 'The Game' never ends...

DDD are you SURE you were awa\ke early, that's story smacks of crazy ass dreams if you ask me...although most of my cycling dreams invovle complete lack of lyrca and everyone pointing at me....ahem! Anyway that post really is for another forum completely! :oops:

• Littigator
    jezcc wrote:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, the fickleness of yoof! Tis a shame to see such naivety young man.

Many many people on this post have fallen foul of the wrinkle phenomenon, aka the matchstick leg militia who pose as slow peddlin old chaps with feeble pipe-cleaner like legs but who have in fact got the nerve of a gurkha, the stamina of Hoy and the cunning of a boxful of foxes.

These sirens of the game lure you in with their wobbling wheezy wheeling style and as you pull alongside.....BAM! They're gone, you're toast and they've left you for dust.

Watch out for the old chap, he the simple scalp you might think....the buggas!

• DonDaddyD
    Littigator wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My analysis:

DDD are you SURE you were awa\ke early, that's story smacks of crazy ass dreams if you ask me...although most of my cycling dreams invovle complete lack of lyrca and everyone pointing at me....ahem! Anyway that post really is for another forum completely! :oops:

I was awake, fully and whistling/humming Rage against the Machines' Know Your Enemy the whole journey (a fitting song when playing The Game...) as I found new speeds within my Tiagra/Sora gearing.

Honestly, the Brompton was there in Norbury, Streatham and then Clapham. All three times he appeared he was ahead of me. He did RLJ a couple of times and I assume he went another route to me and his filtering was clearly better than my own. Still the speed I was going should have firmly placed the guy in my chronological past.

I just have bad luck sometimes, like the time I was overtaken and couldn't keep up with a girl on a BMX. That particular incident all but decided my purchase of my road bike... I digress.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Littigator wrote:
    jezcc wrote:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, the fickleness of yoof! Tis a shame to see such naivety young man.

Many many people on this post have fallen foul of the wrinkle phenomenon, aka the matchstick leg militia who pose as slow peddlin old chaps with feeble pipe-cleaner like legs but who have in fact got the nerve of a gurkha, the stamina of Hoy and the cunning of a boxful of foxes.

These sirens of the game lure you in with their wobbling wheezy wheeling style and as you pull alongside.....BAM! They're gone, you're toast and they've left you for dust.

Watch out for the old chap, he the simple scalp you might think....the buggas!

I have a few grey-haired roadies on my route, I usually get past them pretty swiftly, but feel that it's not a proper scalp as I have youth on my side... maybe I should change my philosophy...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Littigator wrote:

Hmm, perhaps you both ought to lay off the cheese of an evening!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD
    Ok perhaps that post would have been better suited to a Crazy-ass commuter stories forum.

Could be that there were three guys all dressed the same, looked the same (from behind) all on identiclal Bromptons. Could be I was delirious from yesterdays lesson and waking up so early. But honestly Brompton Guy, couldn't shake him.

I just like to think it was a message from The Game...
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Mr Ashburnham - I spotted you along Lower Richmond Road (by the roundabout coming up to Marc Bolan Bridge)

I live 200 yards from here! But I don't leave for work until about 9.20am so I never get to see any of you. I'm the dude with the grey helmet and the Focus Cayo who turns right from Gipsy Lane by the Marc Bolan Death Tree, in case anyone's ever running late...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I think there should be a new game, played by students on you hard working folk.

We get up early, all dress identically, on the same bikes, and cycle round your routes, whenever we see you coming we just turn off out of sight, always pootling...

I like this plan a lot...
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    To all you naysayers...

I've been rolling past old guys on expensive bikes while riding a hybrid and wearing jeans for about a year now. Imagine what I can do on a racer with lycra on (but hairy legs like a man)

Maybe they'll only now start taking me seriously. I've even lost the panniers.

shit, I'm going to look really serious!
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble