Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thunder in the legs this morning. :twisted: Have shortened my chain to force me to ride bigger gears (the ladies who get excited about anything starting with "48" should take note). Expecting trouble into the wind tonight, mind.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    the ladies who get excited about anything starting with "48" should take note).

48 is very last week.

Unless you have at least 50 teeth up front / in the post or a cog with teeth you can count on the fingers of one hand you are seriously undergunned.....

However

Thanks be to Jaysus that I decided to run an 18 cog for my first foray into fixie dom. I'm cleaning up in the wind tunnel!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    cjcp wrote:
    Expecting trouble into the wind tonight, mind.

Could someone please explain HTF it's possible to get head winds all the time??

OK I had a few breathers this morning, but most of the way I was getting some head wind, but coming up to the wheel this morning, hit by such a head wind, thought someone had tied me to a lamp post and I'd reached the end of the rope I stopped with such force....and looking at the flags fluttering above auld laandon taan, the wind is coming from the west, and there is lots of it :(
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Indeed Snooks it does always seem the the wind is blowing TOWARDS you, I was also hit by a lovely headwind coming along the main road in town today. It's always been a bit windy as it's quite a wide road with tall building on either side!

I was determined to stick in my high gear and just about managed to make it along the bus lane before the lights changed and I got a breather :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Playing the game aginst your inner self then bassjunkie?
    That's the spirit.

does anyone else who owns more than one bike think about scalping themselves? :shock: :?: I was trundling along on the new bike (FCN4) the other day going not-so-fast mph and though I'd have me if I came up behind now on the ss (FCN5).

am I being ridiculous? self-centred or just missing real opposition.

what does it all mean? (I am pleading to the resident deep thinkers such as GT CP and VL but anyone should feel free to berate me for thinking in this way)
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That is your inner self telling you you're not pushing hard enough...
  • snooks
    Playing the game aginst your inner self then bassjunkie?
    That's the spirit.

That's cos no one else is out cycling in this pants weather, and targets are hard to come by... So the only worthy competition on the road is yourself

In a way you are actually beating your own FCN by pushing harder, and taking yourself to the next level of the Game
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    snooks wrote:
    Playing the game against your inner self then bassjunkie?
    That's the spirit.

That's cos no one else is out cycling in this pants weather, and targets are hard to come by... So the only worthy competition on the road is yourself

In a way you are actually beating your own FCN by pushing harder, and taking yourself to the next level of the Game

That's the way I see it :-) When you have no one to chase it shouldn't be an excuse to take it easy! The true player of the game knows that there is no such thing as a "recovery ride" as every ride is ridden at 110% effort!!! No one can really push you harder then your inner self!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    You can have a moral victory, but next time man up you big sissy! :D

Well, obviously next time i'll power through and leave him for dust, RLJing or not... :)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get a Garmin Edge then you actually can race yourself. I had a leisurely (meeting friends for dinner and didnt want to arrive all sweaty) ride down to Brixton on Saturday following a route I've done before. Anyway I was halfway there when the Garmin beeped once and cheerily informed me that my "Virtual Partner" had finished - so yep I got scalped by myself! Doesn't count thou cos I wasn't racing, at least that's what I'm telling myself but I'm not having any of it and am claiming a scalp.... arrggghhhh it's all so confusing. :shock:

On another note I'm on the Pinarello today thanks to an overnight puncture that I could not be ar5ed to repair this am, so any Embankmenters had better watch out on the Lambeth Roundabout to Lupus St drag this evening; I've been watching Hoy et al and I'm feeling hungry... :twisted:
  • Doesn't count thou cos I wasn't racing, at least that's what I'm telling myself but I'm not having any of it and am claiming a scalp.... arrggghhhh it's all so confusing. :shock:

1. of course it counts, the game is always being played. you cannot opt out due to "dinner" and "not wanting to turn up sweaty". I turn up everywhere sweaty. My girlfriend loves it!

2. claiming a scalp or being scalped? your ego decides.

This is also topical to the discussion of where the karma/energy comes from and goes during a scalping.
    Does the scalpee lose out, or does the scalper gain?
    Is the energy difference equal, or does the winner display such awesome that he (or indeed she) creates positive energy/felling from nothing?

This may be the case if the scalpee doesn't care.

I bet the scalping after The Gamer's Friday Beers (TGFB henceforth) was felt by the scalpee too so any gain was taken directly from the one napping.

thoughts?
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Doesn't count thou cos I wasn't racing, at least that's what I'm telling myself but I'm not having any of it and am claiming a scalp.... arrggghhhh it's all so confusing. :shock:

1. of course it counts, the game is always being played. you cannot opt out due to "dinner" and "not wanting to turn up sweaty". I turn up everywhere sweaty. My girlfriend loves it!

2. claiming a scalp or being scalped? your ego decides.

This is also topical to the discussion of where the karma/energy comes from and goes during a scalping.
    Does the scalpee lose out, or does the scalper gain?
    Is the energy difference equal, or does the winner display such awesome that he (or indeed she) creates positive energy/felling from nothing?

This may be the case if the scalpee doesn't care.

I bet the scalping after The Gamer's Friday Beers (TGFB henceforth) was felt by the scalpee too so any gain was taken directly from the one napping.

thoughts?

Thoughts? I'm mostly just confused by this one!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

If you're going 20mph, the net headwinds are:

no wind = 20mph
    10mph headwind = 30mph
    20mph headwind = 40mph
    10mph tailwind = 10mph
    20mph tailwind = 0mph

Doesn't often get above 20mph from behind...

Sorry, you mean you weren't asking for a stating-the-obvious literal response?
  • snooks
    biondino wrote:

If you're going 20mph, the net headwinds are:

no wind = 20mph
    10mph headwind = 30mph
    20mph headwind = 40mph
    10mph tailwind = 10mph
    20mph tailwind = 0mph

Doesn't often get above 20mph from behind...

Sorry, you mean you weren't asking for a stating-the-obvious literal response?

I'm aware of the movement of air from one part of a pressure system to another, I do a little bit of sailing now and again :wink:

I mean even though I'm cycling and feeling the breeze though the gaps in my hat which may or may not protect me...I keep having to put the power down to keep up my constant speed cos it feels like I've just cycling through a big jelly!!! :wink:

And there are certain roads where I ALWAYS seem to be hitting a headwind...this week it seems to be most of my commute in each direction. my usual speeds would be 20-22, this week in places I've been down to 16-18 :cry:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Don't worry, panic ye not....here I am...oh I see no one missed me at all eh (harrumph)

Well anyway drinks were most enlivening on Friday night, it was great to meet many faces and put them to (dual) names "Hello I'm Clarissa aka THE DEMON AVENGER" etc etc

For those of you dying to know what GT really looks like, I managed to snap this little beauty when he wasn't looking

asset_upload_file998_12215.jpg

Didn't enjoy himself eh? pah!

Re. earlier suggestion of a Game organised ride with drinks at the end that sounds great, maybe the Freewheel is a good option although I won't be there until about 6 if it runs that late?

As for this wind, yes it does seem to be blowing in all directions at once...godammit!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If anything I tend to notice the tailwinds where they're not expected. The top of Brompton Road when you peel off Knightsbridge - always a tailwind even though you're heading SW!
  • I thought that was the struggle of teh cycle commuter. Wind always does an about-turn while you're in the office

btw WB snooks.. hacked your work allowed sites list?!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• snooks
    btw WB snooks.. hacked your work allowed sites list?!

Thanks to BJK I found out it might have been a problem with my cookies! :shock: ...I'm non the wiser either but it seems to have worked...I deleted tham and I'm here again...woo hoo!....I can even watch the olympics as well.

Work has never been so fun...ok, not strictly true, hanging out of a helicopter at 140mph in Dubai is MUCH better than this, so let me rephrase that...Work in the office has never been so much fun :wink:

hehe
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    Litts is back!

I have it on good authority that after four pints on Friday night he's spent the intervening period in the Priory drying out. It's his biggest single night's drinking ever...

He sent me "strangely" this picture of himself

263523~Rumpole-Of-The-Bailey-Posters.jpg

I've had to crop it as the bottom half was frankly improbable....

Track pumps have sticky outy handles on the end.

• Littigator
    GT that photo is utter b*llocks...you know I'd never be caught dead wearing those glasses!

As for the Priory, it's true, after 2 shandies and being spiked with a proper big boy's pint (thanks to ITBoffin), I was completely off my face and had to pedal home at approx a 45 degree angle....I still managed to pass GT whilst buffing my nails

ithankyou

• hahaa :shock: 8)
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    I still managed to pass GT whilst buffing my nails

ithankyou

I wasn't trying.

• Littigator
    your skin breathing and nonchalant look support your contention

the veins popping on your forehead say No!

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I couldn't make Friday, wish I did though... sounds like it was fun.

I've decided that the wind isn't actually blowing forwards, backwards or from my left or right. It's blowing straight down directly above my head and as it hits the pavement/road/ground it disperses in all directions.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    Littigator wrote:
    For those of you dying to know what GT really looks like, I managed to snap this little beauty when he wasn't looking

asset_upload_file998_12215.jpg

Gutted, I had this vision of GT....
    hislop-hoy.jpg

:twisted:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • You are not alone Snooks! :wink:
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    I still managed to pass GT whilst buffing my nails

ithankyou

I wasn't trying.

It isn't a race...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Hi everybody... I have returned...

Well it was much fun to meet a few of you and your exceedingly pretty but woefully undergeared bikes on Friday... hahaha! Like the spangly gear though! Might trade in my work gear and yoga pants for some brightly coloured lycra... although they don't make gollum bike strips, so I won't look as flash as jashburnham!

I departed off into the back roads up towards kensington and back on my usual route to ealing, and apart from the usual friday night Acton bikers met no competition at all... :(

I noticed, however, that when cjcp and myself spun round and returned to opposite the pub, greg had disappeared.... headstart anyone? Or were you hiding?

And introducing yourself twice is indeed a bit bizarre Litts!
  • Greg T
    My work nanny net is blocking Snooks Image.....

Just as well.

Of course Snooks doesn't know what i look like as he was "in Monte Carlo shooting yatchs and stuff, loads of glamour and burds and everything" instead of coming to the pub with the boys and having a pint.....

ALSO......

Where's the Road Bike Snookster?

There was a lot of BIG TALK about you getting some serious hardware to mount a credible challenge to the Embankment elite........

• Greg T wrote:
    My work nanny net is blocking Snooks Image.....

It's actually quite an accurate representation! SAve the GB kit, that is...