Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    R_T_A wrote:
    Hmmmm, perhaps some type of gaiter to go over the top of the boot and direct water onto the boot rather than into it...?

I use Shimano MP66 shoes: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610

The bit over the laces is great for that extra protection. Combining these with Sealskinz socks they are as waterproof as I need. I cycled through shin high puddles in January with them, and was amazed at how dry my feet were.

But I'm sure there are better ways...

I have a pair of Shimano boots with neoprene ankle cuffs. They're a size bigger than my summer shoes so I can wear thick socks. If its absolutely throwing it down, I resort to sealskinz but normally this combo plus neoprene overshoes keep my feet warm and dry, even during the blizzards on the HoTA.

In the summer you just get wet feet. When it stops raining you can wring your socks out and your feet will be dry in no time as most summer shoes are ventilated.
  • Hmmmm, perhaps some type of gaiter to go over the top of the boot and direct water onto the boot rather than into it...?

But then will that be sufficiently waterproof... hmmm. Head to toe waterproof catsuit? Where will it end?

I have sidi goretex ones, and in heavy rain there is no way of keeping water out. What they do well however is ensure that the water in is warm (like a wetsuit)
    Dan
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmmmm, perhaps some type of gaiter to go over the top of the boot and direct water onto the boot rather than into it...?

But then will that be sufficiently waterproof... hmmm. Head to toe waterproof catsuit? Where will it end?

I have sidi goretex ones, and in heavy rain there is no way of keeping water out. What they do well however is ensure that the water in is warm (like a wetsuit)

I have the Sidi windtex overshoes - they were rubbish in heavy rain - now use Endura Neoprene ones, much better! Not leaked yet!

The sidi ones are fine for warmth and a light shower, but thats it.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    A few months ago, when the weather was playing silly buggers, I wore my walking kit on my legs:

Paramo gaiters and paramo overtrousers

Both have seen good service, as I got them in 1992 and have used them extensively (more than weekly) for several years and they still work. (Well)

They are (more than) a bit warm, but I haven't found anything more breathable that works to keep water out (I have photos of friends in goretex who are soaked (from condensation) whilst I was dry (18-mile walk in rain, sleet, then snow).

Actually, aspart of my mission to be comfortable, and not care about looking like a twassock I rolled the overtrousers up like breeches, and unzipped the side vents.

I cycled slowly whilst wearing that clobber. But I did stay dry.

I will make the (obvious?) point that overtrousers work best when they go over the gaiters, to stop the water dribbling down (but actually, I tend to rely on the elasticated top and foot covering and that seems to be OK). I have worn them with gore tex trainers (these by TNF) both cycling and SCR-style fell "walking"...

I cycle with flats, so use therse trainers as my cycling footwear (I suspect that if i tried SPDs, I'd forget at the traffic lights and there are a lot of lorries on my commute.

Actually my approach to fellwalking has always been SCR. You can really scalp people on the hills...
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    +1 for Endura Neoprene Overshoe, can't go wrong for lunder £20.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Evening all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. May I just say that this thread has inspired me to commute to work on the bike again. Will be SCR-ing tomorrow on my skinnied mtb, with flat pedals, newly-fitted mudguards (though I now notice that doesn't actually alter my FCN), whilst wearing my normal office attire (even the shoes).

I reckon that puts me at 11. Not going stealth to bag more scalps, but I just hate getting dressed twice before I even sit down at my desk in the morning*

Anyhoo, wish me luck.

*If, however, I show up at work a big sweaty winded mess with a triumphant grin then we'll know that this is a lie
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Human skin is waterproof, so next time you claim a scalp why not remove their legs from below the knee, hollow them out and wear like some FCUK'd up Hannibal L. type overshoe.

Cheap & effective if a little messy :roll:

Too far...? nah! :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Evening all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. May I just say that this thread has inspired me to commute to work on the bike again. Will be SCR-ing tomorrow on my skinnied mtb, with flat pedals, newly-fitted mudguards (though I now notice that doesn't actually alter my FCN), whilst wearing my normal office attire (even the shoes).

I reckon that puts me at 11. Not going stealth to bag more scalps, but I just hate getting dressed twice before I even sit down at my desk in the morning*

Anyhoo, wish me luck.

*If, however, I show up at work a big sweaty winded mess with a triumphant grin then we'll know that this is a lie

Welcome, Neil! :)

You need to get yourself one of those new Rapha suits.. Only 3,000 quid. Bargain really. :)

Let us know whether you turn up at work looking slightly wild and beating your chest in celebration at all your scalps. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Woke up this morning and thought someone has pressed fast forward and it was Autumn. Fog, 3.6C, trying to find winter jacket, gloves and tights, all of which I will doubtless have to lug home tonight as the sun come's out. Once that happened it was a pleasant and uneventful ride, which is just as well as the video camera isn't working (or rather the battery connection isn't). This kit is supposed to be suitable for action sports, but one month on London's finest highways has proved too much for it. :evil:
  • Christophe3967
    Evening all,

Anyhoo, wish me luck.

Good luck - not sure how far your commute is, but cast a wistful eye at a guy on a Dutch bike wearing braces and brogues in our car park this morning...
  • itboffin
    Whilst walking along Embankment last night, I noticed a lot of cyclists with poor bike set up, therefore I've decided to stand outside the Morpeth every night and shout bike fit recommendations to passing cyclists.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:
    Whilst walking along Embankment last night, I noticed a lot of cyclists with poor bike set up, therefore I've decided to stand outside the Morpeth every night and shout bike fit recommendations to passing cyclists.

Sounds like a good idea - I presume you will be wearing your "bike tailor" uniform of baggy half rotten tweed jacket (two - one on top of other), plastic bag of two litre bottles of cheap strong cider, trousers around ankles and free baseball cap from the Evening Standard?

I'd also suggest you warm up your vocal cords by drinking a lot before you start shouting at the road.

Also perhaps add landing approach tips to any planes you see. London is a friendly place so fit in by embracing strangers in the street and asking them to buy you a pint.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:

what gets me is not so much the fit, but on the quieter routes the rusted to a solid lump chain, squeak-groan-clatter winch making bikes...oh and those on cheap MTB's with the tires so low they are rhythmicly rocking back and fore....
  • itboffin
    Greg T wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Sounds like a good idea - I presume you will be wearing your "bike tailor" uniform of baggy half rotten tweed jacket (two - one on top of other), plastic bag of two litre bottles of cheap strong cider, trousers around ankles and free baseball cap from the Evening Standard?

I'd also suggest you warm up your vocal cords by drinking a lot before you start shouting at the road.

Also perhaps add landing approach tips to any planes you see. London is a friendly place so fit in by embracing strangers in the street and asking them to buy you a pint.

Ah! so you saw me this morning then :wink:
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    edited April 2009
    Not really a true scalp within the spirit of the rules but I flew past a rather tired looking Boris Johnson on London Bridge this morning! He seemed to be a little upset as i passed him with a 15-20mph speed differential (he probably got caught by the shockwave as I passed haha)

Managed to hoard a few scalps last night (I normally never see anyone high enough up the food chain to justify a scalp call) - including a fully Cinarello'd and shaved roadie who got dropped from my wheel at about 26mph then had the nerve to RLJ at the next lights in an effort to get away, only to get dropped again.

Had a disappointment at my turn off on Holloway Road when a handy looking Kiwi guy also on SS pulled up next to me..... He looked like he would have been up for a race and would have kept me honest if I had been carrying on his way...... oh well.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    Woke up this morning and thought someone has pressed fast forward and it was Autumn. Fog, 3.6C, trying to find winter jacket, gloves and tights, all of which I will doubtless have to lug home tonight as the sun come's out. Once that happened it was a pleasant and uneventful ride, which is just as well as the video camera isn't working (or rather the battery connection isn't). This kit is supposed to be suitable for action sports, but one month on London's finest highways has proved too much for it. :evil:

+1. :?

RP's very own micro-climate kicked in this morning: plenty of mist, which isn't good when you're wearing specs. Couldn't see squat.

The Dossard was back this morning. Passed him on Millbankand he suddenly upped the pace to try to take my back wheel (what a refreshing change). Put some distance between us after HoP and then eased off. Sure enough, after Temple, he's on my back wheel. We stop at the lights. I hear deep breathing and that distinctive clearing of the throat, you know, the one which says you've dug deep :twisted: (and the one I get when Sprocket Man is blazing a trail down Embankment). Checked my HR. All good. Wanted more. :twisted: :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Not really a true scalp within the spirit of the rules but I flew past a rather tired looking Boris Johnson on London Bridge this morning! He seemed to be a little upset as i passed him with a 15-20mph speed differential (he probably got caught by shockwave as I passed haha)

Back of the net! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Managed to hoard a few scalps last night (I normally never see anyone high enough up the food chain to justify a scalp call) - including a fully Cinarello'd and shaved roadie who got dropped from my wheel at about 26mph then had the nerve to RLJ at the next lights in an effort to get away, only to get dropped again.

What does Cinarello'd mean?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Well, by the time I hauled my sorry @rse out of bed and actually set off for work (0840) the sun was shining, birds singing etc etc. However, I have to admit I was a little cold for the first couple of miles in my shorts, SS jersey and sandals... but I soon warmed up.

In other news, I really seemed to fly in this morning! I can only attribute it to having a decent carby dinner (and a few pints) last night - make any sense?

Anyway, lovely, overtook two geared roadies, but one had a bag on a pannier rack and was in civvies so I don't think he really counted.
  • mrc1

Sorry my over eagerness to tell the Boris story led to a typo! Should be Pinarello'd (Bike, Shorts and Jersey).

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:

what gets me is not so much the fit, but on the quieter routes the rusted to a solid lump chain, squeak-groan-clatter winch making bikes...oh and those on cheap MTB's with the tires so low they are rhythmicly rocking back and fore....

Drives me mad too. I feel like shouting 'oil the thing'. That and BMXs. For stunts etc, fine. As a form of transport, rubbish. What is the attraction of standing on the pedals all the time? Yes, one of my bikes has the same size wheels. But it also has a full gearing system and a useable saddle. Also: people who manage to do 5mph and make it look like hard work. Better stop there.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

+1. :?

RP's very own micro-climate kicked in this morning: plenty of mist, which isn't good when you're wearing specs. Couldn't see squat.

The Dossard was back this morning. Passed him on Millbankand he suddenly upped the pace to try to take my back wheel (what a refreshing change). Put some distance between us after HoP and then eased off. Sure enough, after Temple, he's on my back wheel. We stop at the lights. I hear deep breathing and that distinctive clearing of the throat, you know, the one which says you've dug deep :twisted: (and the one I get when Sprocket Man is blazing a trail down Embankment). Checked my HR. All good. Wanted more. :twisted: :)
    Deep mist from mortlake all the way to putney, which gave way to glorious blue skies and sun at just the wrong angle. Could see nothing due to sun on slightly fogged glasses as I was about to turn onto Edith Grove off NKR. At the last minute saw two lanes of traffic bearing down on me... Roadie to my right said 'I thought you were being a bit aggressive', with a smile.

Had a bit of to-and-fro in traffic with an SSer in a red Saeco top, gave each other a mutual respect wave as he went up the blackfriars sliproad and I carried on through the tunnel.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780

could it also mean a bike that you pass at the speed of Hoy and you don't have chance to check if it's a Cinelli or a Pinarello ???
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mrc1
    edhornby wrote:

could it also mean a bike that you pass at the speed of Hoy and you don't have chance to check if it's a Cinelli or a Pinarello ???

It could also be seen as a "Cin" to wear full team kit that matches your bike without having the speed to match...... (Apologies for the poor word play)

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I was hoping to get this on earlier as I just wanted to give other London Bridge users a warning..........watch out in the right hand lane heading northbound, I laid down a thick strip of awesome this morning in an effort to evade a bus and a white van. I think it might need resurfacing :-D

Pulled over to the left lane as I was cresting the bridge to let the first van passed and then moved back over to assume my run across.

Dropped the RLJing roadie on the Ventura (?) rotten that had been one step ahead due to his persistant RLJing since E&C. Got ahead just before the lights and the station and stopped just ahead in the queue.

Top marks to the guy who scalped Boris, I bet his blonde locks look lovely dripping in blood :lol: So anyone know where David Cameron commutes then?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    bloody rain! foolishly took my mudgueards off last week... schoolboy error!

tonight's gonna be fun!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    flamite wrote:

tonight's gonna be fun!!
    Ah, so it's your fault. Burn him*

* I realise this may have no effect
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    flamite wrote:

tonight's gonna be fun!!

Oh MTFU, it looks like it's stopped now (at least in my part of town......) and besides I'm riding home in 3/4 lenghts and a SS jersey :shock:

Having said this it won't beat my riding home in sleeveless top and shorts last "summer" when it chucked down, the poor peds where giving me funny looks as I sat at lights soaking wet with a massive grin :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso wrote:

I have the Sidi windtex overshoes - they were rubbish in heavy rain - now use Endura Neoprene ones, much better! Not leaked yet!

The sidi ones are fine for warmth and a light shower, but thats it.

I meant the boots, not the overshoes. Way better are boots.
    Dan
  • Oh and yeaterday was the worst commute weatherwise all year. Soaked to the skin and absolutaly frozen. My hands were too cold to brake at a T junction with very nearly nasty result (fixie saved my ass just). Nearly had to prize my cold dead fingers off the bars with a pencil when I got to work.
    Dan