Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    BTW is anyone else planning on doing this years Highclere sportive?

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=1038

anyone :?:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    itboffin wrote:

I think that's the week before the Dragon Ride. There is no way I would get away with that. :cry: Next year for sure...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Nope, I'll be in Turkey that weekend... Dragon Ride training camp*

*ok so it's a wedding, but I can dream.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

I think that's the week before the Dragon Ride. There is no way I would get away with that. :cry: Next year for sure...

surely you need to break in that new frame of your pre dragon ride.

I'm getting cold feet about the dragon ride now, its nearly twice my longest distance so far and those "hills" and like mountains. :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

surely you need to break in that new frame of your pre dragon ride.

I'm getting cold feet about the dragon ride now, its nearly twice my longest distance so far and those "hills" and like mountains. :?

I was looking at the average gradients for the Dragon, they're not bad, long shallow drags a lot of them. I remember being worried about it last year and then loving it! However I am only doing the 85 mile route. You'll be fine esp with all the riding you've been doing. It's us office monkeys that should be worrying.

Christ I cannot wait to get out for a long ride on Sunday. Praying the weather holds!
  • itboffin
    It's not the terrain i'm worried about it's the distance, 189km good job I have no idea how far that really is what with km being all European 'n all.

I'm also having a nightmare with bike set up atm, losing weight and increased fitness seems to have changed the way my bike feels.

Panic!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ITB - you'll be fine. Just don't charge up the first Bwlch and get in a group across the Beacons.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Bike Snob NYC, who I have, to my shame, only just started reading, isn't necessarily such a fan of SCRing:
    Yes, I knew early on it was going to be an ecumenical kind of day. As I made my way through Prospect Park, my internal monologue was interrupted by a "whooshing" sound. (My interior monologue is an endless loop of Garrison Keillor reading a Penthouse Forum "Letter of the Month" from July 1986.) An uninitiated person might easily have mistaken it for a washing machine on the rinse cycle, but I knew immediately that it meant I was about to be overtaken by a time trialist [...] he had just overtaken me and was working on closing the gap between himself and the person in the jeans and backpack up the road. (Though I'm not sure he actually managed to close that gap.) I subsequently checked the local race listings and could find no evidence that a time trial was scheduled to take place on a Thursday morning, so I can only assume he was striving for some sort of "personal best." I can't help thinking that there are better ways to attain your "personal best" than chasing people in street clothes on their way to work, but then again I'm not much of a time triallist.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Bike Snob NYC, who I have, to my shame, only just started reading, isn't necessarily such a fan of SCRing:
    Yes, I knew early on it was going to be an ecumenical kind of day. As I made my way through Prospect Park, my internal monologue was interrupted by a "whooshing" sound. (My interior monologue is an endless loop of Garrison Keillor reading a Penthouse Forum "Letter of the Month" from July 1986.) An uninitiated person might easily have mistaken it for a washing machine on the rinse cycle, but I knew immediately that it meant I was about to be overtaken by a time trialist [...] he had just overtaken me and was working on closing the gap between himself and the person in the jeans and backpack up the road. (Though I'm not sure he actually managed to close that gap.) I subsequently checked the local race listings and could find no evidence that a time trial was scheduled to take place on a Thursday morning, so I can only assume he was striving for some sort of "personal best." I can't help thinking that there are better ways to attain your "personal best" than chasing people in street clothes on their way to work, but then again I'm not much of a time triallist.

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I like BSNYC..

He is however a liar as it's always a race - and he knows it....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Christophe3967
    biondino wrote:

Chasing people in street clothes? Nobody does that. :shock:
  • cjcp
    Enough of NYBSC.

What time are people leaving? :twisted: :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    Enough of NYBSC.

You think we'd tell you? Don't you have enough people to scalp already??? :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gert_lush wrote:

...certainly not the fastest milkman in the west.. (country)

Not called Ernie by chance???
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    Enough of NYBSC.

You think we'd tell you? Don't you have enough people to scalp already??? :wink:

:lol:

Interesting journey home. Had a roadie right on my rear wheel after DSC, although I didn't realise until I needed to pull out and looked behind me. Bit of a shock that, and I was less than happy. I think he said sorry, but, over the traffic noise and the head wind, I didn't hear his words. This morning, a chap man behind me didn't see the car in front of me brake for a zebra crossing, so he had to jam on the brakes, avoid me, and he didn't actually stop until he was right beside me. So, you can see why I don't like dossards. :?

Otherwise, lovely ride home. Fortunately, the freakishly strong FGer wasn't in the Park tonight. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Good ride home this evening here too, had the usual chancers and the annoying guy on the hybrid who'd insist on stopping just beyond the stop line at each set of lights in Camberwell despite me binning him rotten each time!

I did find a rather quick courier (fairly sure he was a courier, going by his attire either that or a bl00dy fast fakenger!) who kept me good and honest up Denmark Hill, once he started going up there at that rate of knots I knew an overtake would be fruitless as I wouldn't have made it stick. An ignorant 68 driver seemed intent on killing us both tho just to get to the stop ahead 5 seconds faster and got a mouthful through his window from FG guy..........he turned down the same road as me which is a gentle hill (the one I chased the old roadie up this morning..) so I overtook as having more then 1 gear and the ability to freewheel meant I didn't want to hang around behind him. He continued on the same route as me but always just ahead of me due to some excellent filtering and just a touch of speed!

I took the chance this evening to go for a few laps of one of my local parks, admittedly it's nothing as challenging as Richmond Park as one lap is about a mile long and pancake flat, but this does allow for some good speed! Could certainly tell which way the wind was blowing as up one side I was doing about 17/18mph and then 23/35mph down the other :-) 5 laps passed by fairly quickly, adding some good miles to the commute and having another rather odd effect.........once I left the park, with it's lovely smooth paths, I could have sworn my rear tyre was flat!!! Turned out it was just my bum that needed to re-adjust to the saddle vibrating on the not so smooth road :-)

The ride up College Road and Fountain Drive was certainly a bit more of a workout then normal, thanks to the 5 fast laps of the park, but I thanked my lucky stars that I managed to avoid stopping at the top of the hill but almost got flattened when a stupid cow in a Merc just ignored the usual rules of a roundabout and drives on........I'd spotted her and had already tightened my turn and she got to test her emergency stop!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Christophe3967
    Glad you boys both had a good ride home. The embankment was well jammed by the time I hit it, which meant I didn't suffer too much from the headwinds :cry: and it was the same story all the way to Chiswick.

Two bikes down in King St Hammersmith - looked like one had taken the other out but couldn't really work out what had happened. Paramedics on the scene, one of the bikes had a mangled front wheel but neither rider looked too bad.

So the effect of using a road bike to commute on? No time differences overall but I have to say it really is an armchair ride. 40 kph, Sir? No sweat. Cigar Sir? They're reserved Sir, you need to be called Greg, Sir. Sorry Sir, you want, errm, more oomph? Oomph Sir? Oooh look, Sir, we've still got fiour or five cogs left...

Why am I giving this bike to my GF?? :x
  • itboffin
    Glad you boys both had a good ride home. The embankment was well jammed by the time I hit it, which meant I didn't suffer too much from the headwinds :cry: and it was the same story all the way to Chiswick.

Two bikes down in King St Hammersmith - looked like one had taken the other out but couldn't really work out what had happened. Paramedics on the scene, one of the bikes had a mangled front wheel but neither rider looked too bad.

So the effect of using a road bike to commute on? No time differences overall but I have to say it really is an armchair ride. 40 kph, Sir? No sweat. Cigar Sir? They're reserved Sir, you need to be called Greg, Sir. Sorry Sir, you want, errm, more oomph? Oomph Sir? Oooh look, Sir, we've still got fiour or five cogs left...

my point exactly - give it too ME! i'd do it real justice :)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    As usual no SCR action. Had a nice chat with a guy on a hybrid whilst pootling up to some lights and then put my foot down doing 8.2 miles within half an hour.

Cycled in every day this week which is a first . :D

I'm working tomorrow but may well get a lift in with my lovely lady.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:

my point exactly - give it too ME! i'd do it real justice :)

And just how, exactly, would you run that one past my GF?? She's the third scariest parent in the whole of Year 6 at our Primary School. Or is that the third scariest mummy? Whatever it is, I know which side my bread is buttered... :)
  • And just how, exactly, would you run that one past my GF?? She's the third scariest parent in the whole of Year 6 at our Primary School. Or is that the third scariest mummy? Whatever it is, I know which side my bread is buttered... :)

:D:D:D That's quite an accolade! Have you told her where she ranks, or are you too scared ("Third?! Third?! I'm not bloody third! I'm first!!")
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp

You need to get a 50 on that Pearson, you know. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    As usual no SCR action. Had a nice chat with a guy on a hybrid whilst pootling up to some lights and then put my foot down doing 8.2 miles within half an hour.

Nice one. :D

If Sundays are your only free day, is there any way to you can get a pass from the good lady just once a month to go on the Cardiff Ajax Sunday runs?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    A question I've been meaning to ask (and I think it can go here rather than a new toic):

How many SCRs were keen participants in competitive sports (say around university age) but had to cut back when real life (TM) intruded later on?

Or is it just me...

Most of my SCR is agianst myself
    <lionel blue>
    (which in a very real sense, I think all SCR is...)
    </lionel blue>

The post suggesting that some people didn't SCR possibly came from someone a little less competitive.
  • cjcp
    Um, maybe. :) Before, during and after. That doesn't mean I was competitive though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • not a single cyclist on my route this morning so score of 0-0 :(

hopefully a nice day & they will be out in force for my ride home :wink:
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Nice one. :D

If Sundays are your only free day, is there any way to you can get a pass from the good lady just once a month to go on the Cardiff Ajax Sunday runs?

Cheers CJ. Didn't manage cycling in today :cry: .

Going out with Ajax sounds very appealing and I'm sure I could get a pass every now and then (as long as I'm a good boy :wink: )

But, I am a bit apprehensive as I've always cycled on my own at my own pace. I wouldn't want to be a disruption and hold people up, although I suppose I could tell them to let me drop off and find my own way if I couldn't keep up. Also I am finding it difficult to find the time to build up any distance. 30 miles (90 minutes'ish) is my furthest so far. After work I can sometimes slip in 20 - 22 miles.

As I'm not cycling today, I'll try to get out tomorrow.

Have a good weekend CJ, I'll give it a couple of weeks and then may get more info from Ajax.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    I was a bit apprehensive before my first club run, but was looked after very well. Ajax might have a slower group and a faster group, and will probably have a "no one gets left behind" policy. I'm sure some of them post on the Road "Sportive" section of the forum.

Good w/e to you too. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Greg66 wrote:
    And just how, exactly, would you run that one past my GF?? She's the third scariest parent in the whole of Year 6 at our Primary School. Or is that the third scariest mummy? Whatever it is, I know which side my bread is buttered... :)

:D:D:D That's quite an accolade! Have you told her where she ranks, or are you too scared ("Third?! Third?! I'm not bloody third! I'm first!!")

Scared? Moi? Well, I am going to tell her. I think she'll be OK - we know who numbers 1 and 2 are... :)
  • Christophe3967
    jimmypippa wrote:
    A question I've been meaning to ask (and I think it can go here rather than a new toic):

How many SCRs were keen participants in competitive sports (say around university age) but had to cut back when real life (TM) intruded later on?

Or is it just me...

Most of my SCR is agianst myself
    <lionel blue>
    (which in a very real sense, I think all SCR is...)
    </lionel blue>

The post suggesting that some people didn't SCR possibly came from someone a little less competitive.

No it's not just you - lots of refugees from other sports, who've played at a reasonable standard, find cycling allows them to keep the competive juices flowing.

I know this only from talking to other people of course. I don't have a competitive bone in my body. :?

And of course, you're right, we're all really competing against ourselves. Its all about PBs. really :) And not getting scalped. Hopefully.