Silly commuting racing

Comments

• I bet I'm the least competitive person here. :shock:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Greg66 wrote:
    I bet I'm the least competitive person here. :shock:

Of course you're not. :) Leaving aside the question of commuting on a thoroughbred road bike, and keeping another in reserve, thereby terrorising those unsuspecting souls who've overslept and stumbled onto the embankment in the hope that the worse will be over, there's the whole sorry business of writing to complain that Bike Radar changed the length of pages so that your milestone posts (set in 48 font Arial Triple Bold fuschia as I recall ) retrospectively became numerically inconsequential and then subsequently raising the matter with the Press Complaints Commission, the Law Society, your MP , the European Parliament and finally the House of Lords.

No Sir, not competitive at all... :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Well?

Any pictures of the new steed? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    jimmypippa wrote:
    A question I've been meaning to ask (and I think it can go here rather than a new toic):

How many SCRs were keen participants in competitive sports (say around university age) but had to cut back when real life (TM) intruded later on?

Or is it just me...

Most of my SCR is agianst myself
    <lionel blue>
    (which in a very real sense, I think all SCR is...)
    </lionel blue>

The post suggesting that some people didn't SCR possibly came from someone a little less competitive.

I was a keen sportsman at school, taking part in athletics, basketball and cycling for my school! I also ran for my local club and the county a couple of times..........so no I wouldn't say I'm competitive :-)

I think it's a perfectly natural instinct to be competitive and it really annoys when that schools nowadays almost try to breed this out of children, my kids sports day is made up entirely of team games so there is no chance for individual success.

I do however think it takes a certain type of person to SCR which is why everyone gets along so well :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Did the idea of anniversary drinks get any further than discussions? We need the SCR Social Secretary on the case. LiTs give her a prod in the morning, she did particularly well in December. 2 months should be enough notice for people to make excuses not to come.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    Well?

Any pictures of the new steed? :)

Yes - I just need to work out how to upload - I'm at the outer limits of my IT abilities :oops:

Hadn't thought too much about the practicalities of another bike - I need a berth for it - we appear to be running out of space. :? I think I'll get rid of the lawnmower.

Damp ride in this morning but plenty of nice bikes around still - a couple of TT bikes, a Cervelo, a Scott, a Cannondale, and two or three Speshs. Usual Monday morning stuff - everything seems to work better after a day off :)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    jimmypippa wrote:
    How many SCRs were keen participants in competitive sports (say around university age) but had to cut back when real life (TM) intruded later on?

I read Rowing and Rugby at college.

Sadly I had to sit exams in a completely different subject.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    I bet I'm the least competitive person here. :shock:

I bet you're not.
    jimmypippa wrote:

I swam competitively in my early to mid teens, played water polo competitively up to about 21, and played rugby a little too competitively at uni.

Then I dropped out of uni and started drinking competitively.

Still at home, got an appointment with the dentist shortly, it's raining out there! Rubbish!

Mind you, it means I get to see if these northwave winter boots are as waterproof as they say they are...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Looking out the window I'm glad I got my ar$e out of bed a half hour earlier than normal. Blue sky when I woke up; clouded over by the time I got out of the door and starting to spot with rain along vicky embankment. The guy who got in 20mins after me was decidedly damp.

Not sure the white SS jersey was such a smart choice this morning, though.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Oh, in competitive terms I ran for my school until people got better than me by cheating: they trained, I didn't. The cheek of it, just not cricket. Actually, I'd started cycling by then and was doing TTs at my local club instead of running.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought

Mind you, it means I get to see if these northwave winter boots are as waterproof as they say they are...

And no, no they're not. Socks completely saturated by the time I got to work, boots and socks now drying on the radiator. The good old Altura night vision is still very waterproof though!

However, it's possible that water ran into the tops of the boots rather than going through the boot itself... Hmmm. What can I do about that?
  • Christophe3967

And no, no they're not. Socks completely saturated by the time I got to work, boots and socks now drying on the radiator. The good old Altura night vision is still very waterproof though!

However, it's possible that water ran into the tops of the boots rather than going through the boot itself... Hmmm. What can I do about that?

You must have the wrong type of legs.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

I have the same problem, it's great fun with Sealskinz socks as they retain the water and I squelch with every pedal stroke :shock: It's even better with tights as they wick any moisture down into my shoes and socks :?

There is no answer, but at least the Sealskinz socks act like a wetsuit and keep my feet warm if very wet
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rich158 wrote:

I have the same problem, it's great fun with Sealskinz socks as they retain the water and I squelch with every pedal stroke :shock: It's even better with tights as they wick any moisture down into my shoes and socks :?

There is no answer, but at least the Sealskinz socks act like a wetsuit and keep my feet warm if very wet

:lol: I found the same thing with their gloves totally NOT waterproof but with the added pleasure of stopping the circulation as well.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    Hmmmm, perhaps some type of gaiter to go over the top of the boot and direct water onto the boot rather than into it...?

But then will that be sufficiently waterproof... hmmm. Head to toe waterproof catsuit? Where will it end?
  • redvee
    When the conditions demanded I rode bare legged with shorts and Porelle Dry socks with sellotape around the cuff to aid the seal. Didn't look too good but did the job plus it was cheap as I used sellotape from work.
  • cjcp
    Hmmmm, perhaps some type of gaiter to go over the top of the boot and direct water onto the boot rather than into it...?

But then will that be sufficiently waterproof... hmmm. Head to toe waterproof catsuit? Where will it end?

Take a second pair of socks with you to work.

Goretex overshoes are good, but make sure you get the right size so they don't catch on the cranks. My Planet X neoprene overshoes have a more streamlined fit. (Note however that the area under the toes on the foot you put down at the traffic lights etc will wear out considerably quicker.)

Also, look out for the odour created by drying cycling shoes n a radiator. It can knock a buzzard off a sh*t-truck from 40 paces.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:

Take a second pair of socks with you to work.

Goretex overshoes are good, but make sure you get the right size so they don't catch on the cranks. My Planet X neoprene overshoes have a more streamlined fit. (Note however that the area under the toes on the foot you put down at the traffic lights etc will wear out considerably quicker.)

Also, look out for the odour created by drying cycling shoes n a radiator. It can knock a buzzard off a sh*t-truck from 40 paces.
    OMG yes. Once I realised my commuting shoes were the smelliest bit of kit I got some anti-bac, anti-fungal shoe spray and they get a squirt every morning once I've got to work. Sorted, so far.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689

I was thinking that Walking Gaiters maybe a good call too. I'd imagine they'd do them in a breathable material too.

Waterproof Catsuit, I'm sure it would look great and the guys in London would be looking forward to seeing you about in that.

What would your FCN rating be then, Viners Maxima AND a Catsuit? Think we need a judges decision on that.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    I got some anti-bac, anti-fungal shoe spray and they get a squirt every morning once I've got to work. Sorted, so far.

Hmmm. Not sprayed mine once in five years. This would explain the absence of foxes in my garden.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    Benno68 wrote:
    Waterproof Catsuit, I'm sure it would look great and the guys in London would be looking forward to seeing you about in that.

Hmmm, doubt it!

suit_onedesignracingdry.jpg

But the walking gaiters do seem like a cunning plan.

Also, CJ, my shoes don't smell! I've just been and checked...
  • itboffin
    I hope none of the people in the office caught you sniffing your cycling shoes :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    I hope none of the people in the office caught you sniffing your cycling shoes :roll:

They're used to me and my antics :D
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Benno68 wrote:

Hmmm, doubt it!

When catsuit was mentioned, if was thinking of a different style :oops:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Benno68 wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Hmmm, doubt it!

When catsuit was mentioned, if was thinking of a different style :oops:

Black_Latex_Catsuit_777.jpg
  • redvee
    edited April 2009
    Are those shoes for shimano or speedplay clipless?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

I can picture it now "look! there she goes again, sniffing her shoes this time" "someone call HR" :P
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I can picture it now "look! there she goes again, sniffing her shoes this time" "someone call HR" :P

At least they were her own shoes
    At least they were shoes
    At least they weren't...
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488

I use Shimano MP66 shoes: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610

The bit over the laces is great for that extra protection. Combining these with Sealskinz socks they are as waterproof as I need. I cycled through shin high puddles in January with them, and was amazed at how dry my feet were.

But I'm sure there are better ways...
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.