Silly commuting racing

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    No SCR action on the way home - nothing new there but did have a fairly eventful commute.

A nice fella in a Bentley nosed out from a parked position in Crwys Road, then pulled right out infront of me (doing 20mph) had to swerve around him but luckily there was no oncoming traffic. Next set of lights a white van encroached the bike lane, I jammed the anchors on and avoided a collision. Within half a mile, on Whitchurch Road, a lovely lady pulled out from a side road without seeing me and just trundled along the road for 10 metres before deciding to pull into a parking space, she evidently didn't have time to indicate.

Eventful indeed! You know, the roads you've just mentioned are narrower and as busy during rush hour as any of those on my commute, apart from the Cannon Street/Fenchurch St bit at the end.

You don't go round Gabalfa, do you? :shock:

I miss the rush hour traffic as I usually cycle in at around 9:30am and the earliest I leave is 7:30pm. On my usual way home I go up to Gabalfa Interchange and drop down onto Western Avenue through to Leckwith etc. to Llandough.

On the way in I like to go down through Leckwith, up to the BBC, over the Taff and into Whitchurch, stretch my legs down Manor Way and then cut left to Roath Park Lake, the Rec and then Albany Road into City Road. If I'm feeling lazy I'll go through Grangetown and then up Cathays Terr. and one lap of the lake.

Let's see what today brings :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    Wow. Un-beee-leeev-able.

A guy on a FG dressed in a t-shirt, FDJ cap and rolled up khaki trouser thingies passed me tonight up Broomfield Hill at warp speed. He was on the drops and flying. I was only grinding away in the 53, but, all the same, with the exception of JG up Dark Hill and on the HOTA, I've never seen anything like it. It was truly awesome. And it wasn't just a death or glory charge up the hill either; he kept it up.

He overtook me a third of the way up and by the time I had reached the speed bump by the car park, he had 150 yards on me. I pulled him back to within 15 yards by the time we reached the top of Dark Hill and planned to do the stretch up to Richmond Gate and back before going home, but he was headed that way too. B*ugger. I could juuuuuuuuust about hold him, but my HR was up near 170. Chapeau, sir. 8)

I know how you feel. Tried to scalp a pizza delivery boy tonight. Failed miserably. :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8X8w95dZwQ

Vain attempt to make up for that fiasco a few minutes later by seeing off a Porsche 911 Turbo in a drag race off the lights. The wobbling half way through is my attempt at trackstanding :oops: some remedial work needed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz57gdYNdhM

Who says we only come on here talking about our triumphs?

Absolutely no shame with the Pizza Delivery boy, awesome effort! Must have felt great leaving the Porsche behind :D

Don't get me wrong, the SCR action in London looks amazing, but I don't think I'd have any energy left to errrr....work.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Nice flight in this morning - listened to the birdsong, and the panting of a fairweather dude on a hill.....

Nothing on the roads, is everyone working from home today?!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    To use Greg T's words, had to have my A game with me today: was wearing sunnies for the first time, so the FCN came down to 1. Scalp remained intact, thank god.

GTV - how's the hand?

Christophe - thanks. Might look into buying one.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Lovely day, good commute in, not another roadie to be seen so no scalping, but did teach a maniac on an MTB several consecutive lessons in why RLJ-ing and suicidal filtering does not a faster rider make. :D
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    cjcp wrote:
    To use Greg T's words, had to have my A game with me today: was wearing sunnies for the first time, so the FCN came down to 1. Scalp remained intact, thank god.

GTV - how's the hand?

Good thanks CJ - it is swollen and has a bit of a cut. Funnily enough it is the same hand that was attacked by the dog last week while I was playing wii tennis - Dog thought I was throwing the controller for her and went a bit nuts, caught me as I was in mid backhand - very funny having a collie bouncing around in front of you, then looking over her shoulder to see if you threw the controller!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I managed to pootle in today - I decided after a week of going at top pace after a RP killer three laps I need to recover before another big ride this weekend! Still didn't get scalped though :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    I managed to pootle in today - I decided after a week of going at top pace after a RP killer three laps I need to recover before another big ride this weekend! Still didn't get scalped though :)

I'm trying a variation of your Windsor loop on Sunday, cheers for posting the route.
  • cjcp
    http://www.chilloutzone.to/video/americ ... rofis.html

Nothing to do with commuting, I'm afraid...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's the Highclere communicat again for me this weekend, subject to the weather :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    http://www.chilloutzone.to/video/american-football-profis.html

Nothing to do with commuting, I'm afraid...

Not much work on today CJ?

Nothing to report as far a SCR action goes. Almost engaged a flatbar roadie on Manor Way but he didn't want to play and hopped on the pavement.

12.24 miles - 47 mins.

Tucked in again down Leckwith Hill and managed 45.4mph freewheeling before I had to brake for traffic, there's still more potential so maybe I will hit the magical 50mph with a clear road.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Benno68 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, the SCR action in London looks amazing, but I don't think I'd have any energy left to errrr....work.

Work???

You think that's what goes on here?

:wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Benno68 wrote:

Work???

:lol::lol:
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    cjcp wrote:

GTV - how's the hand?

Let me know if you want to have a look - the main consideration is where you put all the gubbins without having wires trailing all over the place.
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

I'm trying a variation of your Windsor loop on Sunday, cheers for posting the route.

No wuckers, hope you enjoy it. If your variation means avoiding Staines, then that's a definite plus. The river and Great Park bits are the best, so I hope you can prioritise them.
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:

Oddly, a pile just arrived. :?
    Tucked in again down Leckwith Hill and managed 45.4mph freewheeling before I had to brake for traffic, there's still more potential so maybe I will hit the magical 50mph with a clear road.

You need to get out of the saddle before the top and pedal like hell.

And then pray and/or hold on.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Oddly, a pile just arrived. :?

You need to get out of the saddle before the top and pedal like hell.

And then pray and/or hold on.

I prefer the holding on suggestion. Never been much of a church goer so don't think praying would get me too far :D

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Low energy legs today so I wasn't even looking - I just had a couple of fair weather types on the way in. One of whom was putting in a stupendous amount of effort to even get his ancient old MTB to move.

I saw him from something like a 1/4 mile back and caught up very quickly - he was doing the old rocking in line with the legs thing and barely moving. I looked down at his bike and his chain was basically a barely bendy line of rust. :shock:

I swished past at what seemed double his speed and I can't help but think he was cursing, but really: a TINY amount of maintenance mate and you'd be sorted"

The only other person I saw was this fresh faced flat bar roadie type who was FLYING along with his tailwind (git) almost like he had one of those electronic bikes

Oh, there was this old guy on a MTB with the seat right down on the frame, his knees up by his head and his legs going 19 to the dozen as I swear he was in bottom gear! I think people could WALK faster than this guy was going :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

GTV - how's the hand?

Let me know if you want to have a look - the main consideration is where you put all the gubbins without having wires trailing all over the place.

Cheers. Might well do.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Benno68 wrote:

Work???

:lol::lol:

Indeed, this thread didn't crack 100K posts and become the biggest thread on BR by having people doing "work"..........the only reason I "work" is so I can commute and SCR
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

No wuckers, hope you enjoy it. If your variation means avoiding Staines, then that's a definite plus. The river and Great Park bits are the best, so I hope you can prioritise them.

Cheers for that, just re-routed to avoid Staines:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=44856
  • cjcp
    Btw, did anyone see that Eat My Dust's video footage made it into this month's C+? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Yo CJ, would that have been you leaving the Fennies area around 6:30? Judging from the pic of your bike, I may have spotted you at the lights heading down to London Bridge (Monument). I headed over the Bridge and you went off right towards the Embankment?

Yep, that's probably me. Were you at the lights with me? There was a chap wearing shades next to a girl (also wearing shades), but I think there was another bike on their side too.
    I think I was on the far left, but I may have been next to the girl. I was wearing a while LS top and grey baggies. By the time I'd computed that it might be you, the lights had turned, you were gone and my head was too full of snot (what I suspected to be the onset of manflu) for me to contemplate catching up.
  • cjcp
    Roastiecp wrote:
    I think I was on the far left, but I may have been next to the girl. I was wearing a while LS top and grey baggies. By the time I'd computed that it might be you, the lights had turned, you were gone and my head was too full of snot (what I suspected to be the onset of manflu) for me to contemplate catching up.

Yep, think I saw you.. Checked your sig and the white Genesis rings a bell. I have a feeling that you filtered one way, me the other, en route to the lights.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    God damn if it's as windy in London town as it is her today the DF will be out in full force this evening, I struggled against a good 30+mph wind for 18 miles before heading home, cream crackered now :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cream crackered now :?

You just sit yourself down on the sofa and put your feet up, mate. Rest up, take it easy etc. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cream crackered now :?

You just sit yourself down on the sofa and put your feet up, mate. Rest up, take it easy etc. :wink:

I'd love to but I have to cut the lawn then check over the family bikes, clean the guns, it's the village game fair tomorrow, what ho! what what..!!
  • cjcp
    I know what goes on in these villages. I've seen Hot Fuzz, you know.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Jash, I like the look of that route a lot (Bedfont probably not much fun but hey, you can't win 'em all) - let me know how it goes!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    I know what goes on in these villages. I've seen Hot Fuzz, you know.

I was thinking more along the line of The Wicker Man..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5