Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    biondino wrote:
    Third day in a row off the bike! Not at all well planned, sigh...

Off topic - last night I had Ethiopian food last night for the first time. It was delicious!

Did you get the thing where you share a huge dish, draped in a delicious soft flatbread, piled with little mountains of stewed meat and cottage cheesey type stuff? DID YOU?

If so, where, because I had that at an Ethiopian place in Amsterdam and it was tongue-boggling good.

http://www.tutus-ethiopian-table.com/ this is where I had it in Reading.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Today I imagined that I was a tour rider, nothing and I mean nothing even got close to me today. My fitness is increasing. My strength a global phenomena. My power serves a Universal purpose.

My quads are called Truth and Justice. My pedal strokes fight oppression and crime. My ...

[I could have a lot of fun with this]

My quads are called Truth and Justice. My pedal strokes fight oppression and crime...

My back's gone again, dammit.

Aging%20superhero.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4GSLgWTz0
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited April 2009
    biondino wrote:
    Is "to crack one's second duck" youth-speak, DDD?

I'm 27, a Godfather to my best friends newly born baby. Despite my boyish, evergreen, devilishly Nubian good looks and my carefree, optimistic and spirited approach to life I'm not so sure how much 'youth' can be applied to my advancing years or the manner in which I speak.

My term 'to crack my second duck' was a play on the phrase ‘to crack your duck', which is, for want of a better word, ‘slang’. Likely to be regional, the phrase is commonly, but not solely, used by Caucasians living in the, arguably, less affluent areas of South London.

You should venture there sometime. Despite the rumours, stereotypes and misconceptions it can be very vibrant, enriching and an example of social, class and cultural integration.

:wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Today I imagined that I was a tour rider, nothing and I mean nothing even got close to me today. My fitness is increasing. My strength a global phenomena. My power serves a Universal purpose.

My quads are called Truth and Justice. My pedal strokes fight oppression and crime. My ...

My quads are called Truth and Justice. My pedal strokes fight oppression and crime...

My back's gone again, dammit.

Aging%20superhero.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4GSLgWTz0

:D:D:D

Apart from the grey, the 'tache, the hairline and the mullet, that could *so* be me. Except I'm a bit taller. Obviously.

Good song too. Might see if that's in the iTunes store.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    It's the right shade of orange though eh?
  • It's the right shade of orange though eh?

Oh yeah! Chapeau! :D:D:D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Glorious morning? Not here in rainy old Belfast, and it's getting worse. Of course, I went in shorts anyway and ended up with bright pink legs - not a good look! Then the builders cut off the water just as I step into the work showers, and I had to get cleaned up using whatever was left in my drinks bottle while impatient plumbers loitered unquietly in the shower room corridor waiting to get in. Sigh.

To SCR though. I had a bit of a tussle with a slicked MTB guy today. Same FCN I reckon, but he rode like red lights were for other people so I was always catching him up but then losing ground again in the traffic flow. Frustrating, yet satisfying at the same time as it was clear I'd have him on an open stretch of road. We'll call that one a draw, you RLJing fool.

Speaking of shorts, I haven't seen my lges since the autumn and now I see they've gone all big and lumpy. WHAT HAVE YOU CYCLING FREAKS DONE TO ME?!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Awesome post.

The biography of DonDaddyD

DDD was a shy little kid. On the way home from school he noticed an Old lady crossing the road and a bike heading towards her with no intention of stopping for the red light. In a display of absolute courage DDD lept in front of the bike stopping it in its tracks and saving the old ladies life. The impact of the crash had fused parts of the bikes Super record groupset with DDD's own organs giving him the reflexes and speed of Campag's best gruppo ever.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Feltup
    Ha Ha carbon balls :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Interesting ride in this morning - no SCR action but stopped by a stupid woman in an SUV who sat in the middle of the road (parked cars on both sides) leaving about an 18inch gap - as I went past I 'accidently' hit her mirror - she opened the window and screeched 'Don't you touch my car' - 'Terribly sorry' says me ' but you should see the marks my pannier buckles have made on your paintwork' hammer down and I was gone :D:D:D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Be afraid mortals London is NOT SAFE!!!! :twisted:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Tickets to my first performance on sale at the box office (Morpeth Arms) 11th May 2009
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Tickets to my first performance on sale at the box office (Morpeth Arms) 11th May 2009

Fantastic!

I'm very pleased indeed for you. :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Great stuff, but that's enough of the pleasantries :wink::

Game.

On.

:twisted:

What's the deal?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

PAH! All these months of dealing with those "hills" and traffic light free roads down in Marlborough would have ruined your game!

Where ya riding to so I wish your a cheery "Morning" as I ride past ya then :?: ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Congrats fella!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:
    Third day in a row off the bike! Not at all well planned, sigh...

Off topic - last night I had Ethiopian food last night for the first time. It was delicious!

Did you get the thing where you share a huge dish, draped in a delicious soft flatbread, piled with little mountains of stewed meat and cottage cheesey type stuff? DID YOU?

If so, where, because I had that at an Ethiopian place in Amsterdam and it was tongue-boggling good.

Yes, that's basically what we had. Though "delicious soft flatbread" isn't quite accurate - "vinegary pancake-crumpet" might give a better impression of what injera is. Even so, it does go excellently with all the dishes, so not a complaint.

The restaurant, utterly unprepossessing, was Merkato in Kings Cross. The crispy fried lamb was the best of a delicious bunch. Don't get Castle beer, though.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    "delicious soft flatbread" isn't quite accurate - "vinegary pancake-crumpet" might give a better impression....

Don't talk about your girlfriend like that :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now THAT is youth speak!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Congrats dude!!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    Many thanks well wishes its been a slog especially someone such as myself being a self confessed shopaholic, let the shopping resume. I think will start with something TT and move on to all things Carbon, they'll most def be new wheels of differing kinds, you can never have too many wheels.

@bass yeh I'm undecided about which route to take once in London but the Wiltshire side remains the same, however this time I'm going to take the 17 mile country lane back route with a MASSHOOF hill climb followed by fast 15 mile descent on the way home I might take the more gentle option, we'll see.

I have approx two weeks to get back in London SCR form, see you all on Friday at the HQ usual time I guess :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Thank god I am not in London. Congratulations!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Feltup wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'M BACK IN THE GAME

Thank god I am not in London. Congratulations!

I'm thinking the same thing.

Well done - congratulations.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Bassjunkieuk
    All this talk of drinks on Friday is getting me down now, I've had a change of work place so will now be finishing work @ 16:30, not more then 5 minutes ride from the pub........
    Now I'm sure I could find something to do in town, on my bike to kill time but I don't really want to arrive at the pub sweatier then usual ;-) Unless there are fellow attenders who are planning on starting around 16:45?

Might have to take a rain check which would suck balls big time as I was looking forward to meeting up on Friday, especially given the chance that their might be a Pinarello, Cervelo and Viner in attendance!!!

Guess I'll have to be uber nice to the wife to see if I can get a pass that allows me to leave the house at 7:15 and not return until it's dark...........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't understand. Has ITB got a job, in that London?
  • DonDaddyD
    All this talk of drinks on Friday is getting me down now, I've had a change of work place so will now be finishing work @ 16:30, not more then 5 minutes ride from the pub........
    Now I'm sure I could find something to do in town, on my bike to kill time but I don't really want to arrive at the pub sweatier then usual ;-) Unless there are fellow attenders who are planning on starting around 16:45?

Might have to take a rain check which would suck balls big time as I was looking forward to meeting up on Friday, especially given the chance that their might be a Pinarello, Cervelo and Viner in attendance!!!

Guess I'll have to be uber nice to the wife to see if I can get a pass that allows me to leave the house at 7:15 and not return until it's dark...........

FFS! Bass, MTFU and repeat after me...

"Women! I'm riding my bike and I'll be back, not too late, don't bother with dinner I'll get something on the way"

Re-assert your manhood and independance in one swift sentence. She'll be thinking "oh what have i done wrong and by the time you get home she'll be all sorry and have a feast on the table waiting for you. Well that or you'll be in the dog house, briefly but what's the relative worst that could happen. No sex? The silent treatment Bah! Play with kids, X-box and ride your bike somemore, she'll miss you just as much as you will miss her. When you both realise that the balance of power will become equal and at least you got to ride your bike and go to the pub on Friday.

Lastly, you're a Lion dude a Male Lion they don't get told what to do, they just laze around looking awesome while the Lionesses go hunting and raising the kids. You're a LION. Now go growl at your wife and I'll see you Friday.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    I don't understand. Has ITB got a job, in that London?

Sigh! yes Mark I'm gainfully employed AGAIN in London, god help them :lol:
  • itboffin
    @DDD :lol:

Dangerous words dude dangerous :lol:
  • benno68

Of course there's always that last minute "problem" that has arisen in work just as you were leaving which'll take a couple of hours to sort out . :wink:

Don't forget the Extra Strong mints for the way home tho!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Lastly, you're a Lion dude a Male Lion they don't get told what to do, they just laze around looking awesome while the Lionesses go hunting and raising the kids. You're a LION. Now go growl at your wife and I'll see you Friday.

I'm wondering if Lit's has any thoughts on this way of thinking :D

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Benno68 wrote:

Of course there's always that last minute "problem" that has arisen in work just as you were leaving which'll take a couple of hours to sort out . :wink:

Don't forget the Extra Strong mints for the way home tho!

Tiz one of my fav tricks which can go badly wrong if you A - fall over face first on opening the front door. B - fail to open the front door and sleep on the step outside. C - open the door of the wrong house. D - declare your undying love of everyone and everything in the house on arrival.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:

FFS! Bass, MTFU and repeat after me...

"Women! I'm riding my bike and I'll be back, not too late, don't bother with dinner I'll get something on the way"

Re-assert your manhood and independance in one swift sentence. She'll be thinking "oh what have i done wrong and by the time you get home she'll be all sorry and have a feast on the table waiting for you. Well that or you'll be in the dog house, briefly but what's the relative worst that could happen. No sex? The silent treatment Bah! Play with kids, X-box and ride your bike somemore, she'll miss you just as much as you will miss her. When you both realise that the balance of power will become equal and at least you got to ride your bike and go to the pub on Friday.

indeed that's all well and good but it still doesn't solve my potential problem of:

a) Don't want to appear to be some sort of alcoholic as I roll up to the pub early and drink alone
    b) My attire probably won't go down well with the regulars.......

Still if I can attend I guess I can hope for good weather so I can go for a strict "pootle" around town before heading to the Morpeth........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5